Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Hero [Spoilers]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2016 :  03:42:28  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just finished a fast read through earlier today. Still not sure what to think. A jumble of emotions for sure.

Edited by - Eilserus on 08 Oct 2016 03:43:09

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2016 :  08:56:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not think it was out yet. Still slogging my way through Maestro.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2016 :  11:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not. The ARC is on Net galley.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2016 :  17:15:54  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, review copy. A nice trade for early access. I've never purchased a signed copy of one of Salvatore's books and I think I will this one, if it's still an option in another week or so.

This one gets me in the feels. Which really surprised me.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2016 :  21:16:42  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Just finished a fast read through earlier today. Still not sure what to think. A jumble of emotions for sure.

Same. Initially I felt the ending was opening a door. After rereading it, particularly the last 50 pages, I have this feeling this was the last hurrah for this line.
Go to Top of Page

tithas
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2016 :  05:19:37  Show Profile Send tithas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My review is at:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1778524509?book_show_action=false

But i agree this one really feels like its the end of the line :-(
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  04:40:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tithas

My review is at:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1778524509?book_show_action=false

But i agree this one really feels like its the end of the line :-(

I read your review. It has me a little frightened, since you alluded to Ghost King and that ending, to me was...tragic. I'm scared lol

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  17:52:31  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just gonna say that I'm glad that it's over. As sad as I am for the FR novel line, I think the long overdue end of the Drizzt series is a relief. I don't think I'd be reading anymore Drizzt books if Hero wasn't the last one, because it's really become an instance in which the horse has died, it's been beaten over and over with large sticks, it was resurrected, then died, then beaten with sticks again... my arms are getting tired.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  18:10:36  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel the Drizzt books need to come to an end, too, I am just hoping for a happy ending, in part because it has been going on for so long. After all this time, I would hate for the end to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  20:48:28  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

Just gonna say that I'm glad that it's over. As sad as I am for the FR novel line, I think the long overdue end of the Drizzt series is a relief. I don't think I'd be reading anymore Drizzt books if Hero wasn't the last one, because it's really become an instance in which the horse has died, it's been beaten over and over with large sticks, it was resurrected, then died, then beaten with sticks again... my arms are getting tired.

I partially agree with you. For the last several books, I was reading for the other characters, Artemis Entreri, in particular. He had tremendous character growth.
Go to Top of Page

tithas
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  01:22:47  Show Profile Send tithas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I feel the Drizzt books need to come to an end, too, I am just hoping for a happy ending, in part because it has been going on for so long. After all this time, I would hate for the end to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

I am not sure if Happy is the right word for the ending of Hero......
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  01:35:42  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, heh.

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  01:36:22  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mean honestly, I don't see how there could be any concern that it wouldn't be happily-ever-after for everyone. I'd love to believe that Bob is capable of something non-cliche, but he isn't. Sorry for the bluntness.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  01:39:11  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charger_ss24

quote:

I partially agree with you. For the last several books, I was reading for the other characters, Artemis Entreri, in particular. He had tremendous character growth.

I've been reading solely for Artemis for many books now. However, since post-Sundering, I wouldn't say what he's gone through is natural organic growths, but rather a series of forced and contrived changes to make him fall in line with the social-normative mold. I've always favored Artemis because, even though in many ways he's very vulnerable, he was a strong character. He didn't need to go down the path to become Drizzt 2.0 to be valid. The message that Bob leaves for what he's done with Artemis as a character is this: conform to societal expectations or else your existence is not valid.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  01:41:41  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After so long though, it would be a shame to have it end badly, especially if the FR novel line is coming to an end. Even with my issues with the latest books (and I certainly have them), I want to be able to look back on the series and smile, not cry my eyes out every time I think about it.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 12 Oct 2016 01:44:43
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  02:03:08  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want consistency and trueness to character more than I want forced happy endings. But I'm in the minority, and at least the majority get what they want, so I guess everything's good.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  04:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Fitting and deserving at least?
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  06:22:18  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

quote:

quote:

I think endings on these last novels might be influenced by authors sadness because of end of everything.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  16:27:30  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Madpig: did you get an advanced copy, too?

I'm really scared lol

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  16:37:28  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think endings on these last novels might be influenced by authors sadness because of end of everything.

My impression from the novels post-Sundering is that Bob's really been wanting to stop writing them for a while but since people have been paying him to do so, he's been keeping at it. They haven't felt like he's had his heart in it for a while now. I get the impression that with each Drizzt book he wrote recently he'd rather have devoted his time to his own Demonwars series or other personal projects.

To be perfectly frank, this last book felt very rushed and was reminiscent of bad fanfics, which is saying a lot as I've been pretty dissatisfied with the Drizzt line for a while now.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  16:50:11  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've gotten that impression, too, and I have certainly had my issues with the latest books, but I am still hoping for the best heh, futile though it may be.

Go to Top of Page

tithas
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  06:02:56  Show Profile Send tithas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Kind of...if the books are done its a bad ending IMO. If not its epic.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  09:00:32  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I've been reading solely for Artemis for many books now. However, since post-Sundering, I wouldn't say what he's gone through is natural organic growths, but rather a series of forced and contrived changes to make him fall in line with the social-normative mold. I've always favored Artemis because, even though in many ways he's very vulnerable, he was a strong character. He didn't need to go down the path to become Drizzt 2.0 to be valid. The message that Bob leaves for what he's done with Artemis as a character is this: conform to societal expectations or else your existence is not valid.

Haven't read Hero yet, but I haven't got that message at all. Jarlaxle and Afafrenfere are both non conformist types, and they are always presented in a good light. I don't see where Artemis has become much like Drizzt. He's just not evil anymore. I think he's lost and seeking some meaning in life, but I sorely doubt that he'll find it living Drizzt's life. He's still a loner, and he still doesn't much care what happens to most people. I don't even know what I would consider a fitting ending for Entreri.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  14:15:54  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kind of...if the books are done its a bad ending IMO. If not its epic.

I'm super worried now.

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  15:04:21  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Haven't read Hero yet, but I haven't got that message at all. Jarlaxle and Afafrenfere are both non conformist types, and they are always presented in a good light. I don't see where Artemis has become much like Drizzt. He's just not evil anymore. I think he's lost and seeking some meaning in life, but I sorely doubt that he'll find it living Drizzt's life. He's still a loner, and he still doesn't much care what happens to most people. I don't even know what I would consider a fitting ending for Entreri.

Well, the thing with Afrafrenfere is that the only thing "non-conformist" about him is his sexuality, which, honestly, shouldn't be a metric for whether someone's conformist or not, as being conformist implies a degree of personal choice, and sexuality is NOT something someone can help. Other than that, Afra's of good tendencies, loyal to his friends, wants to help the unfortunate, etc etc.

Jarlaxle, on the other hand, I don't know that I'd say is presented in a favorable light. A lot of people like him because he's charismatic and fun, but I'm not sure that anyone would feel that his ability to casually kill other people would render him "favorable".

The strong implication by the end of Hero is that Artemis stops being a loner and suddenly cares about other people. He and Dahlia are DrizztCatti 2.0 (even though realistically their relationship dynamic and respective lack of experience would mean that relationship shouldn't last more than a couple of years at most, kinda akin to high school sweethearts type of thing). Furthermore, he's walking the track that Drizzt follows. Drizzt goes so far aso to explicitly state the title of the book is for Artemis. But you know, since Drizzt apparently also sways Lolth to consider redemption in "Hero", let's just say that I've lost the little bit of respect that I still had for Bob.

Edited by - sno4wy on 13 Oct 2016 15:25:52
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  15:40:50  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this topic is marked as containing spoilers, then I have one simle question. Is Drizzt dead or not? I hope he stays, since it will give us some hope on future FR novels.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  15:43:40  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But you know, since Drizzt apparently also sways Lolth to consider redemption in "Hero"

Wait, did he redeem Lolth or something? Oo

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  18:47:53  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
But you know, since Drizzt apparently also sways Lolth to consider redemption in "Hero"

Wait, did he redeem Lolth or something? Oo

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I took her final actions of being a reflection of Drizzt's "worship". It's Lolth, the Lady of Chaos though. I wouldn't be surprised if it's her way of attempting to net him back into the fold.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  18:49:26  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you feel like saying what happened?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  18:57:49  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

An interesting take, I never considered conformity. I've always held the Entreri Drizzt relationship as almost like brothers who are complete opposites. My take was that Entreri isn't so much a completely different person (his old skills work at the end of the novel comes to mine), he's just capable of loving now. Very much the same man, just not completely emotionally closed off. I been waiting for those two to bury the hatchet for several years now and accept each other for who they are. And I'm rather pleased by it. My thoughts anyways.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2016 :  19:02:14  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I mean honestly, I don't see how there could be any concern that it wouldn't be happily-ever-after for everyone. I'd love to believe that Bob is capable of something non-cliche, but he isn't. Sorry for the bluntness.

This I get. Part of me thinks Drizzt should "go down with the ship" fighting for what he believes in and still being rejected. A tragedy or some sorts would be fitting. Then again, hope for the better is a theme in RAS's writing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000