Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Minotaur clans in Toril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  17:47:44  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.ca/2016/10/of-minotaurs-and-men.html

I just did a blog entry involving Minotaurs in gaming, and noticed a lack of forgotten realms references when I was doing research.

where are they and where have you put them in when you did your own games?

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  22:12:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just a note, the mystara/red steel setting had winged minotaurs
http://www.lomion.de/cmm/enduk.php

In Toril, I can't think of any specific clans of minotaurs. However, I can say that there are certain areas where they're kind of iconically seen. There definitely are minotaurs in Thay (at least pre-spellplague), usually as bodyguards. Whether this is from the nearby underdark, living on the surface, or in the sunrise mountains... up to debate. The hatred between gnolls and minotaurs is also well noted in D&D history, and since Thay has a large number of gnolls, this conflict may be why the numbers of minotaurs in Thay is lessened.

Some other resources seem to indicate where they can be found. They're a wandering monster encounter listed for Veldorn (the beastlands), so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a tribe of them there. The drow of Menzoberranzan have been pictured with them several times, so I'd imagine there are some there.

Also, these aren't minotaurs they're "baphotaurs", but its worth noting from the 2e Drizzt Do'Urden's guide to the underdark. It should be noted that in 3e they were retconned into minotaurs in the Underdark supplement, where its noted that minotaurs are a valid underdark race but that they really only control the area called the labyrinth.

The Labyrinth
The Labyrinth encompasses the largely unclaimed passageways of the upper and middle Underdark that honeycomb the limestone bedrock south and west of the Darklake. A
preserve of Underdark merchants heading to Skullport and beyond, the Labyrinth is named for its changing, mazelike tunnels and the fearsome predators that stalk this region. The undisputed masters of the Labyrinth are the baphotaurs. Baphotaurs are believed to be a variant tiefling of mixed human, minotaur, and bulezau ancestry. Thought by some to be descended from a Cult of Baphomet in the earliest days of the North, baphotaurs are in truth castoffs of the Netherese mages of Andalbruin, whose school of wizardry is now known as the Dungeon of the Ruins.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  23:19:43  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well it was said somewhere that minotaurs in the realms had an empire once..... but well empires rise and fall... and thats just iirc

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  23:27:58  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
does not know if edit timer ended.

that said, I think they should have left the Minotaur as male only..... makes it more interesting in playing a female pc in a labyrinth or maaze with such a monster in it..... and ahd the pc race called something else.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  23:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

well it was said somewhere that minotaurs in the realms had an empire once..... but well empires rise and fall... and thats just iirc

Yep, it's noted in the Labyrinth entry in 3e's Underdark that sleyvas mentioned that long ago minotaurs had a mighty realm there. Unlike what sleyvas said, baphitaurs are still included in the 3e Underdark entry though - and they're given 3e stats in that book as well.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  01:43:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Yep, it's noted in the Labyrinth entry in 3e's Underdark that sleyvas mentioned that long ago minotaurs had a mighty realm there. Unlike what sleyvas said, baphitaurs are still included in the 3e Underdark entry though - and they're given 3e stats in that book as well.

ah, true, there is an entry to baphitaurs in the 3e underdark, but they are leaders of the minotaurs that are in the labyrinth now and not simply replacing minotaurs with baphotaurs like it was in 2e. I much prefer the 3e version. I do find it weird though that these baphitaur are weaker than minotaurs (CR wise) but they're considered the masters (considering both creatures are mainly bloodthirsty brutes).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 07 Oct 2016 01:48:28
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  04:23:43  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This was also mentioned by Valas Hhune while the drow traversed the Labyrinth somewhere in the early parts of the WotSQ novels.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 07 Oct 2016 04:25:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  04:26:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's Grong-Haap. Brian James established that ancient realm for his "Moonsea" article a few years back.

I'll note further that some descendants of Grong-Haap still exist -- living in small clans beneath the Great Gray Land of Thar.

Further, from Ed:-

"Oct 25, 2004:

1. Faerunian minotaurs are very rarely seen or mentioned for the same reason psionics was downplayed for so long; they’re considered essential elements of another TSR/now WotC product line (minotaurs meant Dragonlance, psionics meant Dark Sun). So while they’re in the Realms (the ‘home of everything’ for 2nd Edition D&D), we weren’t allowed to feature them in adventures or novels, or make more than passing mention of them.

And Oct 29 of the same year,

Capn Charlie. I like both of your minotaur isle ideas, and yes, I have always included a FEW intelligent, refined minotaurs, though most are brutish, barbarian-level “grunting beasts.” I’ve always treated lizard men the same way; most are tribal warriors with much cunning but not a whole lot of inspirational intellect (i.e. they can learn a new weapon, trap, or battlefield danger in a hurry in a fight with PCs, but don’t lead lives of complex culture), but a few are every bit as intelligent and accomplished as most humans. This usually means that they’re smart enough to keep isolated and largely hidden from humans. :}"

As Ed said, the minotaur race doesn't feature prominently in the Realms. There are of course minotaurs in Faerun, but they are not a wholly organised people with a land or nation or their own.

That being said, most of the FR-related references to minotaurs in 1e, 2e, and 3e establish that they seem to fill mostly bodyguard or slavery roles. Fahd yn Ralan el Pesarkhal of Calimport is said to be personally guarded by a contingent of 12 minotaurs. Some Red Wizards utilise minotaurs as personal bodyguards as well. Small numbers of minotaurs are seen regularly in many slave pens of the Drow Houses of Menzoberranzan were they sometimes also double as foot soldiers when the drow go to war.

And then of course there is Taurus, the "famous" Hillsfar arena fighter, who has garnered an impressive measure of fame during his time in the arena.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  04:44:02  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By far the most developed minotaur group in D&D was from the Dragonlance campaign setting. They had an entire publication devoted to them, called Taladas: The Minotaurs. I'd recommend using that if you want to start a minotaur based campaign.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  07:54:56  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps not an entire clan, but I'd wager that the Undermountain beneath Waterdeep could have a labyrinth that would harbor a small band (family) of minotaurs. Since the Undermountain adventure has had around 3 versions/revisions, I'd be surprised if one of those didn't already include some minotaur encounter.

And if not, Undermountain is a mega-dungeon, large enough that the DM could easily add 1 or 2 extra labyrinthine levels to shoehorn a minotaur (or even Baphomet) sect.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2016 :  16:14:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had both kinds - the large, brutish traditional minotaurs, and the more sophisticated 'Krynn-ish' minotaurs, including the differences in their legs (the brutish ones have hooves, the Krynn ones have feet).

Minotaurs are one the rare few bits of lore where there is an apparent connection where I do NOT make a connection. The brutish ones were (and maybe still are) created using some forgotten magical technique (and perhaps a bit of 'ickyness'), by ebil mages and races like the Drow. I could definitely see the Ilythari breeding armies of those things in the distant past.

But the newer, more sophisticated ones I blame entirely on Krynn, and they have their own creation story for the minotaurs, which I go with (magical radiation changing Ogres... except Krynn ogres aren't ogres either... but thats another story). There ARE gates between Krynn and Toril - Ed has said this, and it's established in the lore (off the top of my head, there is at least one gate mentioned in the Anauroch material). Thus, some Krynn minotaurs get through every once in awhile, and maybe is some area, enough of them to have established a presence for themselves.

In the Utter East thread (on the WotC forums) I had a city called San Taur, so named because there was a story about a valiant minotaur who saved the people of the original town. That was a Krynnish minotaur, although I never specifically said that - he and his crew sailed into the Utter East through a portal. All of that homebrew lore, BTW, grew out of the fact that I was using the city of Sanctuary (Thieves World) for that, and all I had to do was drop two letters, and WALLAH, the story grew from there.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Oct 2016 16:33:05
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2016 :  01:54:14  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think your comments have helped me decide my next project.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks guys for the inspiration. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2016 :  03:53:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few years ago, there was a particular scribe who was working on a minotaur nation in the Realms. That scribe eventually wandered off, so I don't know if he had any further ideas... But here's what we had come up with, when he was still active:

Minotaur Cultures in the Realms

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2016 :  22:10:16  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There ARE gates between Krynn and Toril - Ed has said this, and it's established in the lore (off the top of my head, there is at least one gate mentioned in the Anauroch material). Thus, some Krynn minotaurs get through every once in awhile, and maybe is some area, enough of them to have established a presence for themselves.

The minotaur capital on Taladas, Kristophan, is also a major Spelljamming port. They never really established a space presence for minotaurs, but it's not unreasonable to assume some migrated to the Realms via Spelljamming ships.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2016 :  23:28:51  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall one spelljammer module talking about mintaurs but can't recall which - that's got to be 20 years ago :P
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2016 :  07:23:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think naming Minotaur clans after cow types could be fun.

Like Angus, Holstein, Longhorn, etc...

I am putting together a post-apocalyptic mash-up campaign right now, but hanging out here again makes me want to add some more fantasy-like races. I need minotaurs in my apocalypse.

I mean, I already have intelligent apes, Jawas, an elf-like race, a dwarf-like race, and a wookie-like race, super-mutants (Orcs), etc., so why not minotaurs? I could just give one of the races I have some horns and hooves... hmmmm...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2016 :  08:47:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to radiation and the potential of nanobots and genetics i dont see why you couldnt have minotaurs and orcs and dragons in a post apocalyptic world.

Minotaurs are obvious at a merging of man and bull.

Orcs i always envisaged from a merging of man and plant. The energy boost provided by the sun makes them super strong and super aggressive. Keeping them underground makes them lethargic and docile.

And dragons are some mad mans tinkering gone horribly wrong.

As you can guess im also working on a post apocalyptic game where all magic is down to nanites and all the gods are super computers that are vying to reprogram the nanites. Im even looking up underground places in england for where people might survive a nuclear catastrophe

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2016 :  15:43:37  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah

Just take a concept and put it on it's head

I wrote an rpg called Dark Revelations - The Role Playing Game, which is a post-post apocalyptic word with a manaclysm start.

http://www.drevrpg.com/2015/06/book-of-arrogance-sneak-peaks.html

I did minotaurs rather originally (and might have been watching the 80's animated classic Rock and Rule, at the time). :p

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2016 :  21:20:03  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone cue Charlton Heston for his new scene: "Get your hooves off of me you damned dirty cow!"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2016 :  04:46:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since its Fallout meets Defiance meets Zombies! meets Planet of the Apes meets Thundarr the Barbarian (with stuff from at least five Scify settings mixed in), I'll just give my Volge horns and hooves.

Volge are taken from Defiance, and are good fit for minotaurs. The basic premise for the setting is lifted directly from that TV show, with all the other stuff mashed-in (so a lot more races, and also creatures from other dimensions and time periods - there are great big 'rips' in the fabric of the universe all over Earth now). Nearly every single apocalypse scenario happened all at once (and I interwove them in the backstory).

Orcs are basically just the Super-Mutants from Fallout. I use everything from that setting as well... and races from Star Trek... and Babylon 5... and Firefly... and Star Wars LOL

And yes, magic works, but most of it is super-science. Not all though - people have 'rediscovered' a few ancient, magical traditions.

Vamps are the Omec (which I call 'Pheratű') from Defiance. Lycanthropes are the transhumans from Jupiter Ascending (even a craptastic movie had something to offer). Got the idea for the draconians from there as well (although they are basically Krynn's Draconians). A couple of things from Marvel comics thrown in for fun (Dire Wraiths).

But I didn't have minotaurs... and NOW I do.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Oct 2016 00:36:52
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2016 :  21:37:26  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay

got a rough draft.

anybody want to see? :)

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  00:35:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  07:03:14  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the Korean BBQ Clan the best!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2016 :  15:00:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

I like the Korean BBQ Clan the best!

The Heffers don't like it when you call them fat.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  18:43:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the file, Shades of Eternity. I just read the Email thus far, and only had a quick glance at the file itself - looks VERY professional - I was pleasantly surprised.

I get a lot of scanned, hand-written stuff, and also maps done in crayon LOL - I love it when I get something that is legible.

Will look at it later - need to take me mum out shopping; I'm her care-giver.

Cheers.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Oct 2016 18:44:22
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  19:18:18  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the compliment :)

It's mainly the fluff just to get my bearings at this point.

I will be waiting to see what volo does before I tweak/do the stats for a viable pc. If they do it for me, I'll adjust accordingly.

Here's my elevator speech for the concept.

Stonelander Minotaurs

From their Purple Knights to their War Wizards, there Cormyr is renowned for their armed forces. But the kingdom of Cormyr has a most unusual ace up its sleeve. Several Minotaur Clans have declared fealty to the crown. Their clans dot the Northern Border and they are slowly, but surely, taming this harsh land. They are commonly enlisted as heavy shock troops and as native guides along the edge of Anauroch. They are a proud people, but while somewhat wild, they are often the line between civilisation and the Goblinoids that occupy this territory.

Long story short, I'm doing Scottish Minotaurs. :D

Edited by - shades of eternity on 12 Oct 2016 19:19:06
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  20:09:57  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kilts included, hairy legs bare? ;D
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  20:14:13  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
naturally ;)

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  21:50:58  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They would be champions in caber toss!
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  22:05:55  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you try finding a big enough tree in the stonelands. :p

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  02:27:54  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that case…. Minotaur Caber Toss uses 3-ton stone pillars, not tree trunks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000