Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Phases of Selune?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  01:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm working on my next session for my Silver Marches game and while there's random weather tables in Silver Marches, there's something important to atmosphere and weather, especially at night, missing - the phases of Selune! After all, a fight under a full moon is far different from the same fight with no moonlight at all.

So do we have information on Selune's phases and the lunar calendar anywhere? Thinking about it, the Tears should probably provide some additional illumination too. I remember back on the old 3.0 era FR website there was the weather in Waterdeep widget that I think also showed Selune's phases, but I'm not sure if that information was ever written down anywhere else/in a way more accessible than a little program.

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  03:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's the old Calendar tool. If you set the month and year, then click the "Moon Phases" button (not the ? button beside it,) it opens a popup window that shows you what phase Selune is in on a given day.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 06 Oct 2016 03:01:56
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  03:04:42  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for 3rd edition, pages 230 and 231 give some information on the lunar phases, eclipses, Tears, and such. These were likely used for the Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frx/20050525x

The wiki has a summary and some other lore and images:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Moon

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  04:43:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's as BCM said.

For all intents and purposes, Selūne is full on or very near to the start of each month, with the quarter and new phases falling around a quarter of a month after the previous one [third quarter around the 7th, new around the 15th, and first quarter around 22nd].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  14:24:28  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Selune's phases should be important in keeping time records for common people I am using the reverse course - eclipse on end of the month and full moon in half but it is mainly to represent Shar's dominion over end of things and hope in each new month. I see this basicaly as another represention of Light against Darkness theme.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2016 :  16:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really should have checked my notes first before asking in here, I have those pages in the 3e FRCS written down! Woops!

Thanks everyone!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000