Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Imaskari fight with dieties
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  16:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This topic sprung up in my mind while reading another thread here at the Keep about how the actual combat with dietie's avatars actually happened. Per GH the war was really fast but I do not see a reason for any destruction at that magnitude if the Imaskari artificers haven't been able to stand against those gods. Why would their emperor dueled with Horus if he had no chance to win? They were not stupid and had plenty of options for retreat. I am not sure there is a single description of such fight besides mentioned duel.

So have you found any lore regarding imaskari weapons against gods/planars? I am also interested in any thoughts in this direction and of course speculations :-)

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  16:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to add it here also I am using Scepter of the Sorcerer Kings as a Imaskari artefact that was able to banish a diety level of power from Material Plane so it might be a example of weapon used by them (it is not supported by any official lore now).
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  17:37:03  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
total conjecture on my part.

Honestly, since the imaskari are a wizard society, just say they overcharged the spell weave in their area, which is how the raurin desert was formed in the aftermath.

I think an entire mystical energy as a weapon can be used to kill entities.

This macguffin is hidden in the desert and has been reduced to a legend.

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  18:04:52  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also always considered the Scepter of the Sorcerer Kings as tied to the Imaskari... it just fits well.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  18:16:31  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they underestimated the power of the manifestations, maybe the manifestations deliberately hid their true power until their prime targets took the field
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  19:08:23  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have been able to ward whole pantheon from Toril. I believe they had the power to stand against them based on this at least. There is also a problem with killing a diety when they only send avatars but in this case it should be possible as they were fully in physical bodies to circumvent the barrier...

I like the idea of desert being left over from usage of large scale magic... that make more sense than that some god really liked purple :-)
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2016 :  06:46:22  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a great point. Given their accomplishments, the Imaskari mages were likely very confident in their power. But archmages are always layered with contingency spells, precisely because you never know what sort of powerful creatures you might run into with crazy spell resistance. Or when you might run into an even more powerful archmage.

Plus, we've seen the highest end wizards in FR (Elminster, Larloch, the Simbul, the Srinshee, Vhostym, Telamont, etc.) display feats on par with any demigod. And we've seen avatars defeated before, such as Moander's and Ghaunadaur's. So I don't buy the whole, gods = automatic win story.
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2016 :  11:53:35  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we could also deconstruct what we know already. Imaskari were masters of planar magic, they used a lot of extra-dimensional space and portals so there should be some pocket dimensions also where they could rig a battlefield in their favor. They could also entrap some of those avatars in those spaces without easy exit thus dividing their power. They also used constructs so size of the avatars could be mitigated by that. Planar barrier was sort of Dimensional Anchor spell covering a huge area so gods couldn't summon help they didn't brought with them. Possibly imaskari could banish some of those inside or even some of the avatars.
Another interesting thing is that even that whole pantheon (or two) haven't been able to dismantle the planar barrier and Ao had to do that...
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2016 :  13:10:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could probably argue that the imaskari barrier had actually been brought down a long time ago but cant be bothered right now.

Yes the statements all say the barrier existed and stopped the gods rejoining with their essence on the outer planes (an idea i dislike). But one of the sourcebooks said re was close to bringing it down before his death.

If the old empires deities couldnt leave the prime plane then where were they in recent times. Only gilgeam was given a location in any of the sourcebooks.

During the orcgate wars many of the gods died (both mulhorandi and untheric). But in the old empires sourcebook only gilgeam was given a place in unther and all the mulhorandi gods were represented only through mortals.

Where were ishtar and ramman in 1355, where was horus re, anhur, osiris, etc. If the mulhorandi deities were only represented by imbued mortals then how come they could die and not kill the god but during the orcgate wars they did just that.

I think the barrier was brought down long ago, but gilgeam liked being on the prime to indulge his pleasures.

And there goes me arguing the point when i couldnt be bothered

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2016 :  15:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Mulhorand time I have used version that Planar Barrier is only in size of Imaskari central empire and that is a reason why gods moved to Skuld - it is already outside of that place as is Unther.

The big question thou is how does a mortal wizard kill a diety? Barrier forced them to this confrontation directly so it was at least possible (similar to gated demon).
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2016 :  19:42:32  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even with the manifestations the deities were not truly on Toril, it was still just beefed up avatars. So you would destroy them like any other avatars, just muster overwhelming force.

Inlike gated demons this would just send the energy used in the manifestation back home. However Ao barred any deiy losing her manifestation from interacting with toril ever again, thus dead as far as anyone on toril was concerned.

Note that pandorym was actually brought to toril to fight the manifestations, he was not meant to face full fledged deities

Edited by - Mirtek on 03 Oct 2016 19:44:41
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2016 :  15:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What source do you have for this? AFAIK in this case they were forced to fully embrace a physical body to get there. I haven't heard about that Ao decree you speak of. Pandorym is a good point thou and was probably meant as one of the weapons to be used against gods.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2016 :  00:07:44  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

What source do you have for this? AFAIK in this case they were forced to fully embrace a physical body to get there.
Basically every source that ever said something about the mulhorandi and untheric pantheons.

The deities were hanging in their outer planar realms all the time while their manifestations were left to fight for themselves or be slain and reabsorbed ending the deities chance of a connection to Toril.
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2016 :  11:28:13  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you are speaking about the multispheric "base" of the gods and their aspect on Toril. Than it is the same as we are talking about Toril space only. That also explain the Ao decree you mentioned as it also work with multispheric dieties. However it is not avatar only those aspects are entirely separate and can have different domains/looks/...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000