Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Year of the Sundering? Current year?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  03:17:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, what was the year of the Sundering and what's current year? Was it 1487 and current is 1489?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  03:48:21  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Current as of Death Masks and Princes of the Apocalypse is 1491 DR. The other adventure paths don't give a specific year, but Death Masks seems to be concurrent to Storm King's Thunder.

The Sundering (aka the re-splitting of Abeir and Toril) is generally thought to have started around 1482, as per the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide saying that the first indications mortals had of it was the return of Bhaal and the events of Murder in Baldur's Gate. It may have started earlier however, and mortals just weren't aware of it. It's unclear how related the splitting of Abeir and Toril is with the state of flux the domains of the gods seem to be in, but they both seem to start about the same time.

The Sundering was deemed mostly complete by 1487, and the large-scale after effects done by 1488. This is my interpretation as per dates in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and the Herald. In the Herald Elminster describes the Sundering as over (if I recall), which is in 1487, and then the SCAG describes changes going on over the 1487-1488 period, assumedly all being done by spring of 1488.

Wars started during the Sundering were mostly "wrapped up" according to the SCAG by 1489. It can be inferred that these mostly involved Chosen, and by 1489 the Gods started taking a different tack by appearing "quieter" to mortals. I believe there's an Ed quote somewhere saying that this change occurs around Flamerule 1489.

By Mirtul 1491 (Death Masks), the gods are so quiet that they'll only resurrect those of special importance to them. It's unclear if there's another event coming where they go back to their old ways. I myself have a feeling that this approach has been taken so death is more significant in the approaching Forgotten Realms movie.

Edit: added more detail.
Edit 2: added more more detail.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 02 Oct 2016 04:06:28
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  14:08:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Current as of Death Masks and Princes of the Apocalypse is 1491 DR. The other adventure paths don't give a specific year, but Death Masks seems to be concurrent to Storm King's Thunder.

The Sundering (aka the re-splitting of Abeir and Toril) is generally thought to have started around 1482, as per the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide saying that the first indications mortals had of it was the return of Bhaal and the events of Murder in Baldur's Gate. It may have started earlier however, and mortals just weren't aware of it. It's unclear how related the splitting of Abeir and Toril is with the state of flux the domains of the gods seem to be in, but they both seem to start about the same time.

The Sundering was deemed mostly complete by 1487, and the large-scale after effects done by 1488. This is my interpretation as per dates in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and the Herald. In the Herald Elminster describes the Sundering as over (if I recall), which is in 1487, and then the SCAG describes changes going on over the 1487-1488 period, assumedly all being done by spring of 1488.

Wars started during the Sundering were mostly "wrapped up" according to the SCAG by 1489. It can be inferred that these mostly involved Chosen, and by 1489 the Gods started taking a different tack by appearing "quieter" to mortals. I believe there's an Ed quote somewhere saying that this change occurs around Flamerule 1489.

By Mirtul 1491 (Death Masks), the gods are so quiet that they'll only resurrect those of special importance to them. It's unclear if there's another event coming where they go back to their old ways. I myself have a feeling that this approach has been taken so death is more significant in the approaching Forgotten Realms movie.

Edit: added more detail.
Edit 2: added more more detail.

1491, thank you. The main part I was looking for regarding the sundering itself was the part where the other parts of the world started reappearing (Unther, Nimbral, Lantan, Haluraa, etc..), which yeah the SCAG said 1487. Hmmm, I need to look up the dates for when the Shaar started refilling though.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  14:15:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, so the start of the Sentinel is at the beginning of Uktar in 1486, so around 60 days before 1487, so the Shaar should have filled in roughly at the beginning of 1487 as I'm figuring it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000