Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 suggestions for reading realms novel..??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  16:26:58  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone have any ideas about which realm books to read first.

I'd lime to go chronological order. but if there is a favorite preference, I'd be willing to look into it

thanks

Mod Edit:- Shifted to a more appropriate shelf

Aa' lasser en`coialle n`natula brown.

(May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown)

-Elren Wolfsbane

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Sep 2016 13:55:45

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  01:11:50  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are SO MANY forgotten realms books it is hard to say what to read first. They are usually presented in such a way that anyone could pick up any one of them and start there.
All often set in very different settings. With very wide ranging quality of writing (I have had forgotten realms books I couldn't finish...)

I believe "Crystal Shard" may be a popular place to start.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  02:21:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a useful site for chronology: http://www.o-love.net/realms/

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  11:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're completely new to the Realms, go with Swords of Eveningstar. It's the story of the setting creator's own original play group, and introduces the Realms very well I think.
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  13:43:54  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm somewhat new to the realm, I just want to learn all the lore I can

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  14:59:20  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suggest starting with Salvatore's Crystal Shard trilogy. After that you can continue with Salvatore if you want or you can jump to Elaine Cunningham's books. The Making of a Mage and Elminster in Myth Drannor give really good lore details on the Realms in the past. Once you get past the Time of Troubles, two of the better series are the Last Mythal by Baker and all of Paul Kemp's novels. I would definitely say Kemp is the best Realms writer, so make sure to check out his work. His work starts in the 3e era, so you might want to get a few different series under your belt first.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  15:11:17  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

I suggest starting with Salvatore's Crystal Shard trilogy.

I was about to suggest the opposite: avoid Salvatore as long as possible. Double so for early Salvatore.
Other than this, you could try to read by mixing the publishing order and whole trilogies (all Moonshae, Finder's Stone, Avatars, Pools, etc).
To alleviate the distraction from "but what's next?" syndrome. Unless you are another proud Gunnerkrigg Court reader, in which case you must be resistant to it due to being teased with cliffhangers non-stop.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  16:50:49  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look into books from the Harpers. Crypt of the Shadowking was my first realms book dealing with the Harpers. Each are a standalone book, but I also think a couple of them spin off into their own trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  18:10:16  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd start with anything Pre Time of Troubles - but my PERSONAL favorite starting point would be Azure Bonds (book 1 of the Finder's Stone trilogy). Jeff Grub was a master of early Realms, and I think for newbies its easier to pick up that Ed's works.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  18:17:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I'd start with anything Pre Time of Troubles - but my PERSONAL favorite starting point would be Azure Bonds (book 1 of the Finder's Stone trilogy). Jeff Grub was a master of early Realms, and I think for newbies its easier to pick up that Ed's works.

Ditto. I always recommend either Azure Bonds or Elfshadow as an ideal starting point.

I said as much to Jeff Grubb, when I met him at GenCon last year -- and he immediately began raving about Elaine's work.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  19:52:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

I suggest starting with Salvatore's Crystal Shard trilogy.

I was about to suggest the opposite: avoid Salvatore as long as possible. Double so for early Salvatore.

Jeez, I say avoid later Salvatore, since it's just regurgitated early Salvatore anyway.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2016 :  04:22:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen no better answer than this from The Hooded One, one of the players in Ed's campaign:-

quote:

. . . I would recommend the following books to get a grounding in the breadth of FR fiction:
Ed Greenwood: Spellfire, Elminster: The Making Of A Mage, Elminster's Daughter, Swords of Eveningstar
Ed Greenwood & Jeff Grubb: Cormyr A Novel
Ed Greenwood & Elaine Cunningham: City of Splendors
Jeff Grubb & Kate Novak: Azure Bonds
Elaine Cunningham: Elfshadow, Evermeet
Bob (R.A.) Salvatore: Homeland
lots o' folks: Halls of Stormweather

Then I'd stop, take a breather, and consider Paul Kemp's Erevis Cale trilogy and Blackstaff by Steven Schend. Then back to Elaine . . .

Then I'd take stock of who I liked, of the above titles, and go from there in reading their other works, each series in order of course (we scribes can help).

Swords of Eveningstar would be my first choice for a first novel, with Spellfire close behind.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2016 :  21:56:00  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Ditto. I always recommend either Azure Bonds or Elfshadow as an ideal starting point.

I said as much to Jeff Grubb, when I met him at GenCon last year -- and he immediately began raving about Elaine's work.

Exact two books I was going to recommend. Quintessential realms books
Go to Top of Page

Quil
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2016 :  06:41:32  Show Profile Send Quil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say it depends what you're interested in. Do you just want lore, or do you want actually great books? Those are not necessarily the same. I'm reading the first book about the Time of Troubles now (Shadowdale), and it reads more like a review of a gaming session than a novel. If you want a good first impression of Forgotten Realms novels, I really wouldn't go with that one first, at least, even though it's really early in the chronology.

Paul Kemp is a great author, though. His Erevis Cale series, and especially his Twilight War series, are both really good. Erin M. Evans is also a really great author. Her Brimestone Angels series is really well-written. It feels more like a fantasy series that just happens to be set in the Forgotten Realms, than a book that tries that explain the Forgotten Realms within the D&D rules. She's one of my current favourite authors in general.

Those series are the favourites of what I've read, so those are what I'll recommend.
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  06:30:18  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul Kemp is definitely the best writer in the Realms. His work starts in 3E though so its a little far into the timeline. My suggestion would actually be to read the Cormry Novel which details the timeline from Cormry's founding to the 1370s. Its Greenwood at his best. Also reading the first few trilogies by Salvatore is how I learned much of early lore of the Realms. Once you get into the 3rd edition though, I definitely suggest Kemp and Baker's Mythal trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2016 :  23:05:16  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget to read everything Elaine Cunningham wrote, both the Songs and Swords and Starlight and Shadows series' are great. The Erevis Cale trilogy from Paul S Kemp is a must read too. I really like Azure Bonds and it's a good place to start too.

Edited by - idilippy on 25 Oct 2016 23:05:59
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2016 :  20:55:51  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm Starting to read Azure Bonds. I'm currently on chapter 3. I really like it so far :D

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2016 :  23:38:16  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything by Elaine Cunningham.

Darkwalker on Moonshae was the first book in the Realms

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Spectralballoons
Acolyte

Pakistan
48 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  13:51:54  Show Profile Send Spectralballoons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say to start with Brimstone Angels. Great quality of writing, explores new areas (i.e. dragonborn) and is self-contained in six books.

After that Elaine Cunningham's Harpers is great (imo she's a brilliant author and a great read).

The sundering primes you on a bunch of greay characters and is also a great place to start, while ed greenwood's or salvatore's first FR novels are also wonderful. Salvatore's later stuff becomes a bit tiring after a while. Enjoyable writing, but many of them have rather presictable outcomes (kinda glad its ending, no offence to salvatore, but it often seems like he's using a snake-whip on a dead dark elven horse).

Greenwood has a vwry enjoyable style, but often his writing seems aimless, with many redundant characters and unexplored details. Both authors have written great books, but its a good idea to ee reviewa of then before biying. Trpy denning is great, but WotC seems to have driven him away. Pick up his things if you spot them.

Richard Lee Byers is also a good writer, shame that WotC refuses to pay an industry standard wage.
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  15:09:47  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'm currently reading The Finder's Stone trilogy (The Wyvern's Spur). I like the series so far

Then I plan on reading The Moonshae trilogy, and keep going from there

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  20:45:41  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I found something in The Wyvern's Spur that seems interesting. There is a game that Giogioni plays with his friends and it seems interesting. Elemental Empire. I would love to know how to play, it seems like a strategy card game. anyway, if anyone knows anything about I'd love to know. thanks

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  05:43:01  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

That is a fantastic site for gathering all the books up by publishing date, up until around 2012 when it seems to tail off. 2013, and 14 are just skeletons, and then there is nothing beyond it. It's a great, complete, and concise list of books... until it isn't.

The wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_novels
has a more complete (probably) list, but the way it is laid out - in alphabetical order by series makes it frustrating to try and double check if you've gathered everything up in a given year.

Are there no better resources out there to use? I think I tried once to open up a pdf from Candlekeep that is supposed to be a checklist of sorts, but it was an overlapping nightmare that I could not make heads or tails of.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  12:08:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

That is a fantastic site for gathering all the books up by publishing date, up until around 2012 when it seems to tail off. 2013, and 14 are just skeletons, and then there is nothing beyond it. It's a great, complete, and concise list of books... until it isn't.

Yeah, seems like the author of that page just gave up along the way.

Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  13:39:16  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but I believe you can find the rest on wiki

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2017 :  01:35:06  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Salvatore recommendations -

Homeland
Exile
Sojourn
The Legacy
Starless Night
Siege of Darkness
The Silent Blade
Servant of the Shard
Promise of the Witch-King
Road of the Patriarch
The Pirate King

And you've read his best.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2017 :  22:17:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elren_Wolfsbane

Ok, so I found something in The Wyvern's Spur that seems interesting. There is a game that Giogioni plays with his friends and it seems interesting. Elemental Empire. I would love to know how to play, it seems like a strategy card game. anyway, if anyone knows anything about I'd love to know. thanks

No, nothing was ever done with that. That being said, when this book came out it was 1990. Three years later, magic the gathering, which was based on using certain "elements" or "lands" to build your deck, etc.... came onto the scene. I half wonder if somehow there was a relation.

Over the past ten years, the Red Knight's religion has really grown on me, such that my main PC turned NPC actually transformed into an artifact with the ability to turn into a "Wheel of Spells" deck.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19170

Also, in an attempt to discover more games that Red Knight adherents might play, I discussed it in this forum entry.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17366

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2017 :  00:47:34  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Elren_Wolfsbane

No, nothing was ever done with that. That being said, when this book came out it was 1990. Three years later, magic the gathering, which was based on using certain "elements" or "lands" to build your deck, etc.... came onto the scene. I half wonder if somehow there was a relation.

Over the past ten years, the Red Knight's religion has really grown on me, such that my main PC turned NPC actually transformed into an artifact with the ability to turn into a "Wheel of Spells" deck.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19170

Also, in an attempt to discover more games that Red Knight adherents might play, I discussed it in this forum entry.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17366

That's interesting. I wonder if they're similar. I'd love to play a realms game in my campaign, kind of like a puzzle of sorts.

I'll have to read up on your red knight. Thanks

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000