Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Volo's Guide to Monsters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2016 :  04:05:40  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems as if the regular version has hit the shelves (or at least certain shady parts of the 'net) earlier than expected. Will have to call the LGS tomorrow to see about the special edition.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 05 Nov 2016 04:08:26
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2016 :  11:56:05  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its also out on Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds right now.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2016 :  12:20:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tabaxi section confirms that Tabaxi are from Maztica, but it says they worship the Cat Lord now, not the Maztican Gods, and that they're not isolationist any more, tabaxi won't say what happened, but rumour say strange things have been happening there rescently that changed things.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2016 :  15:01:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Tabaxi section confirms that Tabaxi are from Maztica, but it says they worship the Cat Lord now, not the Maztican Gods, and that they're not isolationist any more, tabaxi won't say what happened, but rumour say strange things have been happening there rescently that changed things.

Color me intrigued. A lot of what I've been writing up involves "The Eastern and Western Pridelands of Katashaka", and it involved various different types of cat folk (not just tabaxi and wemics).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2016 :  17:34:47  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a Very slender tome for 50 smacks. Pretty though.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2016 :  11:30:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

That is a Very slender tome for 50 smacks. Pretty though.

You can get it cheaper from Chapters.ca or Amazon. I spent $36 Canadian with tax on mine, normally its $65 Canadian with tax. Because it was thru Chapters, they are sending it to the local Chapters, no shipping costs.
Go to Top of Page

chibi_grazzt
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2016 :  16:12:31  Show Profile Send chibi_grazzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are there 2 threads with the exact same title?

My Realms Drow Campaign for D&D 5e:
https://doomofthedrow.obsidianportal.com
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2016 :  19:18:31  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Color me intrigued. A lot of what I've been writing up involves "The Eastern and Western Pridelands of Katashaka", and it involved various different types of cat folk (not just tabaxi and wemics).

I talked to Matt Sernett who confirmed this Cat Lord is the same Cat Lord from the original MM II, the guy from the Beastlands.

I also just listened to the Gamehole panel. Races in the book were designed to be very distint racial stereotypes.

Novel line hasn't been officially ended, but they have nothing to announce at this time.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2016 :  06:10:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got this and all it does for me is reinforce that FR is the 5E equivalent of Greyhawk in 3E - a placeholder to drop stuff in and give just a touch of flavour/context. Fine as a monster book. Poor as a Realms product. I feel like a band member on the Titanic.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2016 :  07:19:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
buts its all so generic and bland. generic and bland is good right? its the new interesting.

That was all sarcasm by the way. i dont even know why it is tied to FR, it has almost nothing to do with it.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2016 :  08:43:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because FR IS D&D now.

And by slapping 'Volo' on it they hope to get the last few remaining setting fans left to buy it. Maybe if they just stopped and thought about WHY they have fewer fans with each product release they'd have been able to steer-clear of that iceberg.

On the flipside, I - and by extension, 'we' - can have all the fun with the setting we want now. I'm happily doing maps again, knowing damn well they'll never be anything to contradict them (like how 4e and the Spellplague made all my maps 'null & void'). Anything THEY say or do is irrelevant. In death, they've set it free.

As setting fans, we have everything we'll ever need. You only need the D&D products if you plan to play D&D. I don't think they're even doing novels anymore, are they? Its like doing novels in the SW universe - completely pointless now. Everything's apocryphal.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Nov 2016 08:44:10
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2016 :  10:48:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im already converted to the fansigner (fan-designer) movement. Ill be using your maps for my regional setting guides (as long as you dont mind).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2016 :  00:23:24  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Just got this and all it does for me is reinforce that FR is the 5E equivalent of Greyhawk in 3E - a placeholder to drop stuff in and give just a touch of flavour/context. Fine as a monster book. Poor as a Realms product. I feel like a band member on the Titanic.

-- George Krashos

I hear that. I'm thinking of getting this, but I've more or less written off WotC and to wait for Ed to hit up the DM Guild with some goodness we've all wanted for years now.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  05:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I hoped we were going to get an excerpt from Volo's Complete Guide to the Behaviour of Nymphs.

Silly question, do they explain how Volo survived so many years?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  06:16:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has told me that he did a web piece explaining how Volo survived the Spellplague etc, but WotC never put it up on the website.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  07:25:04  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Silly question, do they explain how Volo survived so many years?

Maybe Volo had been eating magical rutabagas, which prolonged his lifespan immensely.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  08:20:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Game of Thrones, no one lives.

In the Forgotten Realms, no-one ever dies.

VERY comic-bookish, IMO.

"Come, play in the Forgotten Realms! Where the only characters who don't matter are YOURS!"

Thats should be their new ad campaign.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  10:17:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure it's been mentioned that Volo spent some time either magically imprisoned and/or in an unaging form like a statue, for his own protection.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  22:50:34  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ha I remember that spell from 2nd edition.

that's absolutely hilarious if true. :D

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  23:06:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ed has told me that he did a web piece explaining how Volo survived the Spellplague etc, but WotC never put it up on the website.

-- George Krashos

He put at least part of it in Death Masks. Mystra made him a chosen. She did that as a contingency (since she had foreseen the Spellplague) and hid parts of her essence in the most unsuspectable people, Volo among them.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  23:15:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In Game of Thrones, no one lives.

In the Forgotten Realms, no-one ever dies.

VERY comic-bookish, IMO.

"Come, play in the Forgotten Realms! Where the only characters who don't matter are YOURS!"

Thats should be their new ad campaign.

After all the random "kill, kill, kill" of end 3e and 4e, I don't mind it a bit honestly.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 19 Nov 2016 01:23:33
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  14:32:41  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well just got this. It's nifty, I'd say a solid 6/10. I would have preferred a more traditional monster manual. I won't buy another one like this.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 22 Nov 2016 14:34:56
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  18:38:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think - considering their current customer base - that a regular Monster Manual would have served better. Calling it 'Volos' and trying to appease the Grognards just agitated them more, and will annoy the gamers who were only looking for the stats.

Give up on the Grognards, WotC - you just can't make us happy. We thrive on angst.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Nov 2016 18:38:27
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  19:03:12  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think - considering their current customer base - that a regular Monster Manual would have served better. Calling it 'Volos' and trying to appease the Grognards just agitated them more, and will annoy the gamers who were only looking for the stats.

Give up on the Grognards, WotC - you just can't make us happy. We thrive on angst.

I have no particular distaste for the ecology approach they do with the approx. first 2/3 of this. It's interesting, and certainly valuable to those who might need/want a little inspiration in their critters.

I was happy to give it a look and give WotC another chance to make something worth buying. It is, but only just (not at that insane suggested price though...hell no, get it on Amazon for about half that).

Ultimately, I found the ecology section would be best served as recurring web feature akin to Unearthed Arcana. I most certainly won't pay for another tome like this. A proper monster manual, certainly, but not this.

D&D is a game before it's a brand, WotC. Try again.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 22 Nov 2016 19:04:40
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2016 :  01:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two things I wonder about this book: Who is it by? Are its contents Realmslore? The impression I get is: only marginally.
Go to Top of Page

chibi_grazzt
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  05:48:46  Show Profile Send chibi_grazzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

quote:
Originally posted by farinal

I found some previews from the book online! Enjoy!
http://imgur.com/a/z9SuU

Boy, it really annoys me to see recycled Illithiad art in there.

I have both, am I missing something because I don't see recycled art

My Realms Drow Campaign for D&D 5e:
https://doomofthedrow.obsidianportal.com
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  14:10:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I got mine at a reduced price on Amazon, still pretty high... but I find it really interesting that its got many things that I myself was looking to develop, so it saves me some time. I was thinking about creating some poisonous frog people like Grippli... they now have Grung (they're small, instead of medium, but whatever). I was looking for the girallon. Froghemoth. Firenewts (were they maybe in the elemental evil adventure path?). More dinosaurs. Choldrith/Chitines. I had found Wood Woads in DM's Guild, but I'm glad to see an official version. HMMMM, Vegepygmies... I forgot about them, but damned if I'm not glad to see them. I see T'lincalli. Neogi (no plans yet for them, but always liked them). MORE HAGS!! (even though I created my own version of the Bheur Hag for DM's Guild). Everything I listed above, I was planning on using 90% of it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2016 :  16:32:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're almost making me want to buy this, Sleyvas...

Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2016 :  07:28:17  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy arrived this weekend. The book is gorgeous artwise. Quality is top. The lore is very nice and also the volo/elminster commentary is entertaining and immersive. The choice of monsters are good and all of them are really useful/interesting. The book really gets your DM juices flow. I love hags and I was planning to use a coven in my game so it is perfect for me they included detailed hags in the book.

The monsters by location tables are also quite useful. I think along with the monster manual this book is the best 5E product.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2016 :  14:13:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Tis a curious tome.

I'm happy with its content, overall, but it's a little lite on purely Realms-specific lore. It's largely generic, in fact... though this opinion only comes from the slight skimming I've given is book. Maybe there's deeper Realms content that I've yet to discover...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000