Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Old books for new lore?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Petra_W
Acolyte

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  20:54:55  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If im into more lore of the FR, can I read some of the older books and use them in my campaign? The SCA Guide is a good overview but not more.

I mean stuff like the E4 "Secrets of the Astral Sea" or "Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue "

E5 lacks of such specific books.

And can you reccomend some older adventures, where I can simply use the E5 rules but the story of the adventure still will work?

Edited by - Petra_W on 14 Sep 2016 20:55:33

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  21:08:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Menzoberranzan is fine, but its section concerning the drow deities is outdated, since they are listed as dead, but they are all back to life in the present era of the Realms. There is the 2e version of it, but it's outdated when it comes to the various houses. I suggest the 3e Forgotten Realms campaign setting for a more in-depth overview, Elminster's Forgotten Realms, the various Volo's Guides, the 2e deities books (Faiths&Avatars, Powers&Pantheons and Demihuman Deities, although the first one is a bit outdated too, but only in that Bane, Leira, Myrkul and Bhaal are back as well), and supplements like the Grand History of the Realms and Lost Empires of Faerun (to better know the history of the Forgotten Realms as a a whole).

Generally, the status quo of 5e is closer to what it was in 3e (and before, given that the Shadovar are essentially gone, for example), than 4e (with a few exceptions).

You can find the pdfs for many of the older books on the DMGuild.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Sep 2016 21:15:52
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  21:10:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That said, it's your campaign, so you're free to use older material in any era of the Realms, and to cherry pick what you like the most from any edition. So, most books would prove useful anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  21:13:19  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the planes, the 4e cosmology has been replaced by the 2e Great Wheel (except for the Shadowfell and feywild, which are stll there), so you'd be better off reading the old Manual of the Planes, rather than 4e plane-focused books (except for the Feywild and Shadowfell manuals).

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  21:56:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Use whatever you like. Afterall, its YOUR campaign.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  01:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, I've used material and lore from the Ruins of Undermountain Boxed Set, the Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxed set, the North boxed set, Skullport, The Silver Marches, and the Anauroch sourcebooks in 5e. It works very nicely, imo. I just double check everything against the SCAG, tweak the lore as needed, and I'm good to go.
As for adventures, I've only run Tomb of Horrors, using the adaptation for 5e that Chris Perkins did for Dragon/Dungeon magazine. It was deadly, but that was what I was going for. But as a general rule of thumb, the story of most adventures work, just tweak the monsters and loot to fit the edition you're running.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000