Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Forgotten Realms Designers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  02:26:05  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

1) I wrote a bunch of stuff about the northern High Forest in the Mintiper's Chapbook articles. Here's the link for those who haven't seen them already: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20020130a

Your stuff for the chapbook was gold! Thanks a ton for that. I've done quite a bit of revision of my future plans for the campaign I'm writing thanks to it -- I believe it will all be for the better!

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  06:34:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
Hmm, I think the Serpent Kingdoms book you keep bringing up may cover the questions I want answered. Any idea when it is released?

July.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  07:20:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I should love to see what Sage Schend has to say about the Manshoon clones... Sure, there's officially only three "Manshoons" still around, but since there were ways around the compulsion to kill each other, I'm sure there's some former Manshoons out there. I should love to know some of the ideas Sage Schend had...

Well, there's the ideas from that other link posted (thanks, Sarta).

Other ideas were never solidly set. We'd hoped to set Manshoon up as a lurking menace of opportunity and a major wandering threat. Before the M-Wars, he was always up in Zhentil Keep or the Citadel of the Raven plotting away. After the dust-up, he's forced to stay constantly on the run, on his guard, and using up all his carefully hidden away contingency plans in hopes of staying alive another day.

In effect, we turned him from being a wizardly despot and leader into a terrorist isolated and estranged from the terrorist group(s) he founded.

As always, you can do what you will of it, but officially, having the 3 Amigos where they're at works okay. If you need more, I noted other options previously (undead forms, ghosts, possession/mind swapping, etc.)

Remember that he's only a ravening madman out to blindly kill when he's within range of another Manshoon clone, so as long as they stay discrete distance away (and outside of the official eyes), there could be more still (if you so choose):

up in the Tears of Selune/on the Rock of Bral;

perhaps hiding among the settlers of the Borderlands in Maztica;

maybe he's trading magics with the mysterious spellcasters of Kozakura or Shou Lung;

calling in favors with genies could have taken a Manshoon away to the south and al-Qadim;

get the idea?

Have fun, and remember that ALL the disenfranchised Manshoons, while they may want other things, would definitely do anything (aside from revealing themselves gratuitiously and opening themselves to risk) to foul up any plans of Fzoul.....

Steven

Well, the reason I asked is because I've been fiddling with the idea of a Manshoon clone as an NPC. I will prolly use the swapped mind option, but I'm not sure. I've simply not come up with a concept I like, yet...

I like your ideas for how to get a Manshoon clone clear of the compulsion. Another one I had was for one to make a home for himself on a seafloor -- though I don't recall his name, I know there's a lich in the Sea of Fallen Stars who simply transplanted his entire tower into the water...

Anyway, have you, personally developed any Manshoons that were somehow sticking around in the Heartlands? I ask because I'm still looking for ideas!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

fourthmensch
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  11:14:28  Show Profile  Visit fourthmensch's Homepage Send fourthmensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone, for the input on the Manshoon clones! (especially Steve--I didn't mean to step on toes by addressing the question to George, I just thought it was a good segue into the topic. Actually I have no idea who spawned the "Manshoon Wars" idea, and who subsequently developed it, etc. I just loved the idea, and like I said, I've been kicking around this idea for a few years now :)).

I was really trying to figure out how to have Manshoon, as evil and cool as ever, in the middle of the Simbul's palace without seeming ridiculous. I toyed with the "helm of opposite alignment" idea a bit, but it seemed too lame; I want him to be a bad guy. So your ideas made a lot of sense. If a desperate Manshoon approached the Simbul, offered some of his unique magics, and perhaps intimated that he might go to one of the Zulkirs if she refused... then I can see how an uneasy peace might have been forged. Oh, such wonderful intrigue! I can't wait to blow my player's minds with that one.

And, if I may get sentimental for a moment... Thank you for all of the work you have done. Every word has breathed a bit more life into the Realms.

(PS Wooly, if you're interested in kicking around some ideas on the other thread, I'm game.)

I want you to go home and ponder the meaning of the word subversive.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  11:52:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always envisaged the Manshoon clones to be a huge, under the surface plot thread to be incorporated for years into the future as DMs and Game Designers wished. In other words, any personage of note in the Realms in future products could be a Manshoon clone in disguise. So when "King Deryth of the Dalelands" emerged in 1382 DR to unify the Dales for the first time since Anecar the Mantled King, we could reveal that it was a Manshoon clone the whole time!:)

My personal favourite Manshoon clone idea was one that stayed close to home - specifically Thar. A Manshoon clone that took the shape of an ogre mage and united the beastmen (ogres) of Thar into a ravening horde that devastated the cities of the Moonsea, thus giving Manshoon his revenge and affording him the opportunity to regain his power in the aftermath.

I liked the many Manshoons idea for the vistas of opportunity it provided to DMs and designers. It was nipped in the bud somewhat by FRCS, but it still can be run as a major campaign plot thread IMHO.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  06:46:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I like your ideas for how to get a Manshoon clone clear of the compulsion. Another one I had was for one to make a home for himself on a seafloor -- though I don't recall his name, I know there's a lich in the Sea of Fallen Stars who simply transplanted his entire tower into the water...

Even worse...what if he goes to take up residence in Myth Nantar? Or perhaps even shapechanging himself into a koalinth or merrow and taking over a tribe with his magics?

And I think the lich & tower is Vamar's Tower, just east of the coast off of Starmantle.

quote:
Anyway, have you, personally developed any Manshoons that were somehow sticking around in the Heartlands? I ask because I'm still looking for ideas!

Okay, I had a truly scary/ugly idea to this....

What if Manshoon could alter his clones/himselves to be alternate races to escape the killing compunctions? Imagine Manshoon trapped in the body of a halfling or a dwarven woman! Heck, why not a Manshoon yuan-ti?

Steven
Who's chuckling evilly now and wringing his hands ala Snidely Whiplash

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  07:12:09  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes Steven your brain is indeed on overdrive, nice to see, but scary at the same time.

Isn't one undead Manshoon enough? We already have Manshoon the Vampire Lord named the Faceless of the Night Masks.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  18:13:28  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Yikes Steven your brain is indeed on overdrive, nice to see, but scary at the same time.

Isn't one undead Manshoon enough? We already have Manshoon the Vampire Lord named the Faceless of the Night Masks.

If one Manshoon of any kind were ever enough, we wouldn't be having this discussion now, would we?

Steven
Who has the odd image now of Manshoon with massive forearms, muttering about "me spinach" as a jaunty sailor's tune pipes in the background (thanks to thoughts of Manshoon near the SOFS)

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  20:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven & George, thanks for the ideas and reviews, sorry I was offline for so long and did not get back to you sooner.

Eric, great to see you here, I have to tell you I LOVED THOSE CHAPBOOKS! They were great, I do have a question though, has the Grandfather Tree ever been stated anywhere, and what would you make it out to be if you did?

Here's to you Uncle Steve, Long live WVU!!!!!!!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  05:27:38  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Designers,
I have a more unusaul question and would like your advise on it: One of my long time players recently submitted to me an in game magical research proposal, I believe the theory to be sound he reasoned that there could be some magical process akin to the undead template except in reverse, a connection to the postive material plane. He's called his template the Eternal template and is doing in game research to perfect this process.

I was wondering if you might have any suggestions in regards to this idea, any input would be appreciated. Thank you as always for your time and assistance!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  19:21:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

Dear Designers,
I have a more unusaul question and would like your advise on it: One of my long time players recently submitted to me an in game magical research proposal, I believe the theory to be sound he reasoned that there could be some magical process akin to the undead template except in reverse, a connection to the postive material plane. He's called his template the Eternal template and is doing in game research to perfect this process.

I was wondering if you might have any suggestions in regards to this idea, any input would be appreciated. Thank you as always for your time and assistance!

PFoA

Off the top of my head....comes some dandruff.

Moving along....

Like the idea of positive energy research, but I can see a number of hurdles...

Churches or at least clerics and priests specifically might try to impede the research as it infringes on their healing. For that matter, tinkering with positive energy could disrupt local healings or (if uncontrolled) could cause huge surges of growth in local fauna and flora, which in turn elates or pisses off the druids and/or sylvans of the area.

While it's a sound idea for research, the spill-over and the potential problems can easily steam roll. After all, the guy's fiddling with the energy of life itself. What if he inadvertantly makes Bob (who happens to be be herding sheep nearby) immortal? What's Bob to do? What if people in the village around him can't die due to some unforeseen energy surges (and thus prolonging some horrible living conditions without the release of death)?

For that matter, there's always the loophole that immortality does not always equate with eternal youth....

Last but not least, if he's using Mystra's magics to investigate all this and he starts stepping on other gods' toes, they'll be using their clergy (or Mystra will use her Chosen) to shut this guy down for the sake of the Balance and peace on the Realms and the planes.

All said, it'd really make things interesting in both short and long term adventure possibilities for your campaign....Good luck!

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  00:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot Steven.

Let me explain a few things though, #1 hes a good guy/hero of the North, with the backing of the goodly churches, hes planning on asking another player in the group, a cleric of Selune to help and get the higher up's to assist in his plan, the template is basically designed to offset the undead template, kind of like a ying and yang thing. I've always been in agrement with the whole "equal and oppisite reaction, opposing forces thing.

I have to admit I like his idea, I never said I'd make it easy for him.

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  17:29:52  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding stat'ting the Grandfather Tree:

I'd suggest something like an advanced elder treant (see Epic Level Handbook) with sorceror and/or druid levels.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  02:22:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple questions foe Eric

1) Are you able to talk about Serpent Kingdoms?

2)Last year when you did the Races of Faerun interview you mentioned you where writing a Module for a Dungeon magazine, did that ever get published? (We poor FR fans seem to be suffering another Dungeon drought)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  12:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question for any of the designers, and it's something that's been bugging me for some time.

I'm not familiar with all of WoTC's shared worlds by any means, but I am quite familiar with a few. And what I want to know is, do all D&D settings have to contain the staples? Can there be a world without elves, dwarves, and gnomes -- so long as it substitutes other cool races as well? Is there any market for a blend of Norse and Asian traditions with some truly excellent prestige classes?

On a totally unrelated thread, how does one pitch a new brand new world to WoTC?

(What? Are those two question related? No. Certainly not. What makes you think that?)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  14:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zyx

I have a question for any of the designers, and it's something that's been bugging me for some time.

I'm not familiar with all of WoTC's shared worlds by any means, but I am quite familiar with a few. And what I want to know is, do all D&D settings have to contain the staples? Can there be a world without elves, dwarves, and gnomes -- so long as it substitutes other cool races as well? Is there any market for a blend of Norse and Asian traditions with some truly excellent prestige classes?

On a totally unrelated thread, how does one pitch a new brand new world to WoTC?

(What? Are those two question related? No. Certainly not. What makes you think that?)

Yes, all D&D worlds have to contain the staples and rarely preclude elves and dwarves and gnomes and the like for one reason--People don't buy them without them.

Any time TSR strayed from standard Western European tropes of fantasy (i.e. castles, knights, dragons,and the usual Tolkien-esque fantasy elements), sales dropped by a marked amount. TSR allowed the production of Oriental Adventures and a few other strays off the path (Dark Sun, Planescape, etc.), but that was due more to believing in the designers who had passion for the work, not an expectation of sales numbers they liked.

A world with a mix of Norse & Oriental sounds interesting, but in the 14 years I've been involved in the industry, TSR/WotC has allowed new world building from outside its own design staff exactly once and that's the EBERRON world due this summer. YOu'd have a better chance of pitching it at other D20 companies, as there's no chance anyone at WotC could even legally look at your world. Sorry about that but it's the truth as I see it.

Steven Schend

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  15:25:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zyx

I'm not a designer, but I play one on T.V.....

I'd be very surprised to see WOTC currently open to new worlds with the recent contest and now push to get consumers interested in Eberron.

However, many D20 companies have published new worlds in recent months and I can see others in the future possibly doing the same. Thus, it might be more feasible to go that route as Mr. Schend suggests.

Good luck regardless if you do pitch a world to anyone.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 14 Apr 2004 15:26:54
Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  16:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the immortal words of Winnie the Pooh: "Bother."

In truth, I expected that answer. It's weird, though. How many permutations and combinations of castles and dragons and enchanted blades can people really want? I mean, what's the difference between these supposedly different worlds, really?

Pitching the idea elsewhere is interesting. But actually the whole notion is, at the moment at least, pretty much a whim. The world in question comes from a novel I have written and will soon be shopping around. It just occurred to me recently that the races and "character classes" in the story are quite unique, and would be a lot of fun to play in a D&D setting. And from there the dreams of honour and glory just started going crazy... ;)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  16:31:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zyx
In truth, I expected that answer. It's weird, though. How many permutations and combinations of castles and dragons and enchanted blades can people really want? I mean, what's the difference between these supposedly different worlds, really?

Well if I recall right, wasn't that one of the goals of the setting contest search? To find something different. Thus, I look forward to seeing what Eberron offers that distinguishes it from previous fantasy worlds.
Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  21:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right, I confess: I know absolutely nothing about Eberron. I heard nothing about the contest, and know nothing about its results. I wouldn't have even known about the Maiden of Pain open call if I hadn't happened to send a writing sample at precisely the right time. This week has seen my first reading of, and posting on, a D&D message board.

So call me a newbie.

If what you say is true, though, then maybe we can look forward to something truly original this summer. Now there's a novel gig I'd really love to be in on!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  17:47:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of questions for the esteemed Sage Schend.

I was flipping thru the Lands of Intrigue boxed set yesterday, and I found myself pondering a couple of things.

Gamalon Idogyr. Is he your creation? (I remember him from the Spelljammer article in a 1990 issue of Dragon) Is there more info on him other than that which is in this set and in The Rock of Bral? I should like to know more about him, if there is... And why'd he decide to return to the Realms, and leave his curio shop on the Rock behind?

Onyx the Invincible. What ever happened with him and Kiira Ghalmrin? Did he ever manage to marry her, or did she wind up with her betrothed? And is there any real info anywhere on her?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2004 17:50:05
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  18:58:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a couple of questions for the esteemed Sage Schend.

I was flipping thru the Lands of Intrigue boxed set yesterday, and I found myself pondering a couple of things.

Gamalon Idogyr. Is he your creation? (I remember him from the Spelljammer article in a 1990 issue of Dragon) Is there more info on him other than that which is in this set and in The Rock of Bral? I should like to know more about him, if there is... And why'd he decide to return to the Realms, and leave his curio shop on the Rock behind?

Gamalon is indeed my creation. His first incarnation was as my very first D&D character created and played way back in 1982. His gem eye was, in fact, due to a bad die roll and a critical hit by an orc; the DM decided not to kill me in my first game so he lost the eye. Since he eventually defeated the orcs, he shoved one gem in the socket and has been Gemhead ever since (nickname from fellow players later on).

I used him as a mouthpiece ala Ed/Elminster in my first DRAGON article, which I started writing my first week at TSR, since I was editing SKULL & CROSSBONES as my first assignment. Since Roger wanted a Spelljammer article and indicated a preference for tzchotches (i.e. items), Gamalon became a curio expert on Bral; I'm unsure but that article in Dragon 93 (I think) may be the first time that Bral is semi-officially linked to the Tears of Selune.

I moved him to Tethyr in 1996 while writing LANDS OF INTRIGUE for two reasons--Spelljammer was long gone, and I needed/wanted a mouthpiece within Tethyr. Since I was loathe to let my first and best character go, I retroactively made Gamalon Tethyrian and put him in the product. Story-wise (but very behind the scenes), he re-entered Tethyrian politics because Khelben asked him to (a little bit after he pressured Lhaeo into taking up the cause). I made him totally bald as well to help him stand out from the other wizards of the Realms (as if the gem eye isn't enough).

Gamalon's not as much enamored with being a count as he is happy to be contributing to the restoration of so many important things--like the abbey dedicated to Mystra in his county. He's a secondary researcher and historian with King Haedrak on the Royal Library. He's also Khelben and Elminster's go-to guy for keeping watch on the south for abuses of magic et al. He loathes Duke Hhune, but keeps his opinions and emotions under almost as tight a rein as Khelben does, so Hhune's suspicious but not on guard around Gamalon.

One thing of note--While Gamalon is officially the Count of Spellshire, he spends his days at Faerntarn in Darromar but portals/gates back to his own home/castle at night. Even so, much of the day-to-day administration of his county is handled by his wife Mynda (1315-now; N hf Exp7) and daughter the lady Lara Idogyr-Gyrfalcon: (1346-now) (CG hf W10); Lara is her father’s favorite, but she’s the best diplomat and peace-keeper in the family. Her husband is former adventurer Arn Gyrfalcon (1339-now) (NG hm R13); both of them act as chatelains of Spellshire while Gamalon is away. Lara is the heir presumptive of County Spellshire.

Gamalon's elder son is Perigon: (1343-now) (LG hm Pal11 of Tyr/the Triad); he is the eldest and assumed heir but has given up his birthright and passed it on to his sister. He works with the Triad in southern Tethyr now though has a reputation for illithid fighting up in the Tears of Selune in his youth.

In terms of adjusting him for 3.5E, I'd say (at the least) Gamalon has the Luck of Heroes regional feat as a Tethyrian and add on 3 levels of Arcane Devotee (of Mystra) to his wizardly levels since LOI's events.

Heck, since I've got it worked out (a little geneology), here's info on Gamalon's father Count Darud Idogyr and family: (1266-1347); Darud becomes Count of Spellshire and the family mansion in 1288 at the age of 22. He’s married by the year’s end (Arana 1269-1313) and they have their first child in 1290 (a son—Kamarin V; 1290-1313); other children are daughter Sciora (1293-1313), daughter Sifana (1296-1340; dies in childbirth), son Darud II (1298-1347; dies in Black Days along with his entire family of 3 children), daughter Jhinnyr (1300-1347; dies in Black Days along with her husband and four of her seven children), son Kessal (1301-1347), and son Gamalon (1302-present).
1313 is a year of feuds among the Idogyrs and the Duchy of Dusk; while they can never prove anything, Clan Trecask is responsible for the deaths of Arana, Kamarin and Sciora.

That enough Gamalon info to chew on, or are you looking for spellbooks, spells, and other details? I'm happy to talk more on him, but that's all that's on hand at present. Needless to say, I've been tinkering in the background sliding little bits of lore here and there with regard to the Idogyrs, Tethyr, and other related bits.

quote:
Onyx the Invincible. What ever happened with him and Kiira Ghalmrin? Did he ever manage to marry her, or did she wind up with her betrothed? And is there any real info anywhere on her?

Had to go back and dig up info on the Ghalmrins, as I'd forgotten that little plot....

I'll leave that plot open for all DMs as to whether or not she defied her father and married Onyx or if there's a star-crossed love in Tethyr and she is kept under lock and key by a jealous husband (and/or over-protective father) who knows the score.

HOwever..... If I were running a campaign down there, I'd probably have had Onyx do some crazy quest to prove his worthiness to the Arduke and let them marry (by 1370) and there would be much rejoicing when they almost immediately have the unheard-of birth of twins! But then, I'm a sentimental softie at times....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  19:58:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That enough Gamalon info to chew on, or are you looking for spellbooks, spells, and other details? I'm happy to talk more on him, but that's all that's on hand at present. Needless to say, I've been tinkering in the background sliding little bits of lore here and there with regard to the Idogyrs, Tethyr, and other related bits.

Wow, that's a lot more than I expected! Thanks!

As for spells and such, it's not really necessary, unless he's got something really unique or interesting... As I said more than once on the WotC forums (before I was banned), anyone can come up with numbers and stats; it's the concept that interests me.

quote:

Had to go back and dig up info on the Ghalmrins, as I'd forgotten that little plot....

I'll leave that plot open for all DMs as to whether or not she defied her father and married Onyx or if there's a star-crossed love in Tethyr and she is kept under lock and key by a jealous husband (and/or over-protective father) who knows the score.

HOwever..... If I were running a campaign down there, I'd probably have had Onyx do some crazy quest to prove his worthiness to the Arduke and let them marry (by 1370) and there would be much rejoicing when they almost immediately have the unheard-of birth of twins! But then, I'm a sentimental softie at times....

Steven

That would be interesting... Kiira Ghalmrin is human, is she not? Are half-dwarves even possible?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Apr 2004 20:09:25
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2004 :  17:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That would be interesting... Kiira Ghalmrin is human, is she not? Are half-dwarves even possible?

While half-dwarves are indeed possible, Kiira Ghalmrin is 100% dwarf as the daughter of the dwarf leader/Arduke of Clan Ghalmrin....

SES

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2004 :  18:47:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

While half-dwarves are indeed possible, Kiira Ghalmrin is 100% dwarf as the daughter of the dwarf leader/Arduke of Clan Ghalmrin....

SES

Ah, my bad. I don't recall reading anything about Clan Ghalmrin, so I assumed she was human. Is there info on them in LOI, or need I look elsewhere?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  06:22:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This question is for Steven E. Schend as author of The Fall of Myth Drannor. One of the intriguing mysteries in Realms' history, for me at least, is the murder of Aravae Irithyl and her protectors.

I'm curious, as a designer, did you have in your mind who you thought was responsible for this event as you created the product? If so, care to share, hint, or provide cryptic clues. Additionally, if you did not have in mind any responsible party, any speculation now as someone so immersed in the Realms, as to who might have been responsible?

Some time ago, on the board that shall not be named, a poster believed the drow responsible for Aravae's death. I just do not follow that logic. To me, the whole event smacked of an internal plot within this community.

However, I'd love to hear from other scribes and their feelings on who was responsible for the murders.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  00:11:07  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

SES

Ah, my bad. I don't recall reading anything about Clan Ghalmrin, so I assumed she was human. Is there info on them in LOI, or need I look elsewhere?

Only info I know of on them is in LOI. Look for info on the dwarves in general and the Starspire mountains in particular, and that should dredge up any info on them.

If you ask Eric Boyd nicely, maybe he's got some info tied to them via his knowledge of the Underdark and Shanatar, though I'm not certain. My expertise with the Underdark was acknowledging it was there and having some nations "down under" named and historically dated, but that's it.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  00:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

This question is for Steven E. Schend as author of The Fall of Myth Drannor. One of the intriguing mysteries in Realms' history, for me at least, is the murder of Aravae Irithyl and her protectors.

I'm curious, as a designer, did you have in your mind who you thought was responsible for this event as you created the product? If so, care to share, hint, or provide cryptic clues. Additionally, if you did not have in mind any responsible party, any speculation now as someone so immersed in the Realms, as to who might have been responsible?

Some time ago, on the board that shall not be named, a poster believed the drow responsible for Aravae's death. I just do not follow that logic. To me, the whole event smacked of an internal plot within this community.

However, I'd love to hear from other scribes and their feelings on who was responsible for the murders.

The one thing that keeps slapping me upside the head since joining this forum is the amount of stuff I've forgotten in the years since I wrote things. Gives me all the more respect for Ed's memory of Realmslore that spans 30 years....

Who's responsible for Aravae's death?

Honestly, I never thought it through, other than knowing we didn't have a ruler around which to rally the troops, which was one of the contributing factors to the Fall.

Chalk it up to one of those designer moments of "opening more doors than I close" by leaving the mystery up to GMs....

Were I to speculate as to culprits, there were (and still are) many:

Every race blames one of the others, and gold elves blame other elves as well at times.

Sure, it could be drow (if you wanted it to be).

Then again, it could be anything from halflings to Halaster to the Hussar Blooded, a group of mercenaries from south of the Shaar I'm making up off the top of my head right now.

Even if I were to go back and reexamine what I'd set up with Aravae's death, I doubt the ideas would be any better than what people use for their own campaigns (since the culprits could be linked to campaign villains to give the PCs history of their evil to uncover and get even more outraged by).

Heck, if I really wanted to be evil, , I could suggest that she and her uncle and the Srinshee planned this, created a clone, and that was the body that was found. Aravae was spirited away by the Srinshee's followers and hidden away in some remote corner of the Realms to bear the Ruler's Blade to some new elven homeland in the future. She'd be rather long in the tooth for an elf by now, but it's still viable that she could still be alive (if you so chose). Heck, the Srinshee's only now getting back to a mature adult elf form, and she's on her 3rd millennia...

Thus, the ideas and possibilities are wide, and I'm putting the ball back in the GMs' courts because it's better for your games to do so.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  03:06:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good enough Steven Schend and thanks for the reply.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  06:20:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...And here I am again, with yet another question for Sage Schend! As usual, this one simply wandered up from the depths of my mind recently...

Page 33 of the Campaign Guide of the City of Splendors boxed set mentions that on 22 Mirtul, 1367, the Cliffwatch Inn in the North Ward was engulfed in magical explosions that entirely consumed the Inn. Afterwards, the site was walled off and kept under surveillance by the Guard.

So, my question is, does anyone know what happened there, and what is the current status of that site?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000