Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shield of Vigilance
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  03:10:04  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Magic of Faerun presents this item...

This +1 bashing shock large steel shield bears the upright gauntlet symbol of Torm. Many items of its kind exist, and they are greatly prized by the followers of Torm. Rumors exist of a more powerful version of the shield that reflects all electricity attacks back upon their source.
Caster Level: 8th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, bull's strength, call lightning or lightning bolt; Market Price: 9,170 gp; Cost to Create: 4,670 gp + 360 XP; Weight: 11 lb.

What does the shock property do? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  03:22:49  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the shield deal shock dmg when struck? That would be cool. If so, how much?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  03:30:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DMG 3.5E, p.225.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  04:22:36  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, George. I see that is a weapon special property so does it only apply when bashing with the shield? How about as a defensive ability?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  04:25:50  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Magic of Faerun presents this item...

This +1 bashing shock large steel shield bears the upright gauntlet symbol of Torm. Many items of its kind exist, and they are greatly prized by the followers of Torm. Rumors exist of a more powerful version of the shield that reflects all electricity attacks back upon their source.
e.

Including Blue Dragon Breath?

Edited by - jordanz on 11 Sep 2016 04:27:50
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  05:16:07  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Since I completely skipped D&D 3.x I don't know what "shock" damage is. In the current 5E, the closest damage type I see is Electrical (Lightning) Damage. Are they similar?

Or is "shock" supposed to imply something more like causing a "stun"?
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  05:49:04  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shock is electrcal dmg in 3.5.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  05:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Interesting. Since I completely skipped D&D 3.x I don't know what "shock" damage is. In the current 5E, the closest damage type I see is Electrical (Lightning) Damage. Are they similar?

Or is "shock" supposed to imply something more like causing a "stun"?

A shock weapon deals electrical damage in 3e, yes.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  05:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Thanks, George. I see that is a weapon special property so does it only apply when bashing with the shield? How about as a defensive ability?

Yes, weapon special properties can be applied to shields and only apply when the shield is used for a shield bash (or similar, such as shield razors from Underdark.)

See page 217 of the DMG and the shield entries on page 127 of the PHB.

Magic of Faerun was a 3.0 book, and the rules were still being figured out back then (which is why this is technically an illegal case of a shield with a weapon property applied to it as an armour property). If I was going to update it to 3.5 I'd make it a +1 bashing large steel shield with +1 shock shield spikes, per page 217 of the DMG.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000