Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Question: Elven Couples in fiction
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uchiha_Arthas
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  00:23:34  Show Profile Send Uchiha_Arthas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This issue came up in a small debate of mine with a friend of mine.

Namely are there any Elven Couples in Forgotten Realms where they are main characters?

Just Elf-Elf couples only.

No Elf-Human, Elf-Half Elf or what ever characters allowed.

I couldn't recall any offhand (mostly I see Elf - Human couples which annoys me no end) except perhaps the latest Coronal of Myth Drannor.

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  00:39:14  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall of any couple of elven main characters (save for Ilsevele and Fflar). Amlaruil and Zaor get some spotlight in Evermeet: Island of Elves, tho, and Qilué and Elkantar get some space in Starlights and Shadows. Oh, Zaknafein and Malice also get some spotlight (although I wouldn't call that love). But yeah, no main characters there.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 11 Sep 2016 00:41:20
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  00:57:13  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tarathiel and Innovindil get a few good pages in one of RAS'

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  03:42:19  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if they were technically a "couple", but what about Drizzt and Dahlia.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  06:31:56  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uchiha_Arthas
I couldn't recall any offhand (mostly I see Elf - Human couples which annoys me no end) except perhaps the latest Coronal of Myth Drannor.

If that annoys you, I wonder how you coped with the Hobbit (movies) romantic thing between Kili (dwarf)and Tauriel (elf).
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  06:37:02  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most FR books are written with human protagonists, so if your question is "which novels have elven protagonists in relationship with other elves," the answer is probably just Evermeet: Island of Elves, with Amlaruil and Zaor (and several other couples in the historical sections).

If you're willing to stretch the definition to major supporting characters, then things open up a bit more, as previous posters have shown. To their list I'll add a couple of green elves from Silver Shadows and Araevin (sp?) and Ilsevele at the start of Last Mythal. But the focus on human protagonists (to appeal to their human readership) makes demihuman couples a bit sparse on the ground. There might be a few more in the short story anthologies, but it's been awhile since I read those.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Uchiha_Arthas
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  11:18:38  Show Profile Send Uchiha_Arthas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone. Appreciated the quick responses.

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

If that annoys you, I wonder how you coped with the Hobbit (movies) romantic thing between Kili (dwarf)and Tauriel (elf).

It's not the inter-species pairing itself that bothers me. It's that there seems to only be inter-species pairings. To bring up this into a real-world context imagine if there were a 1000 examples of happily married minority members on TV/Movies/Fiction but they were all married to one of the majority. No example of minority protagonist character married to the same minority on TV/Movies/Fiction.

Do elves find other elves unattractive or something? Do dwarven women not like beards (and thus most dwarven men)?

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Most FR books are written with human protagonists, so if your question is "which novels have elven protagonists in relationship with other elves," the answer is probably just Evermeet: Island of Elves, with Amlaruil and Zaor (and several other couples in the historical sections).

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a few more non-human protagonists either. I find them generally more fascinating.

In my view once the general feel of the setting has been established with a human protagonist then I would like to see other species view points.

quote:

If you're willing to stretch the definition to major supporting characters, then things open up a bit more, as previous posters have shown. To their list I'll add a couple of green elves from Silver Shadows and Araevin (sp?) and Ilsevele at the start of Last Mythal. But the focus on human protagonists (to appeal to their human readership) makes demihuman couples a bit sparse on the ground. There might be a few more in the short story anthologies, but it's been awhile since I read those.

Thanks I'll my best to look through what I can. I was hoping for more but I'll take what I can get.

Edited by - Uchiha_Arthas on 11 Sep 2016 11:20:28
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  19:47:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As has been said, Last Mythal, Evermeet: Island of Elves, and, to a point, Song and Swords. Stardeep had implications of it. For drow, Starlight and Shadows, War of the Spider Queen, and Lady Penitent (some are loving relationships, and others are not).

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  00:59:34  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also Galaeron Nihmedu and Takari Moonsnow in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy. Granted, technically for most of the story they're not a couple, and they end up in a threesome with a human, but theirs is one of my favourite relationships depicted in FR novels. I really like the contrast between the head-in-the-clouds (shadows?) moon elf, and the saucy, wily and wholly without-morals wood elf.

Galaeron's parents, Aubric Nihmedu & Morgwais the Red, make for an interesting, and empathetic couple too.

Edited by - BenN on 12 Sep 2016 01:00:34
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  01:21:11  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's right, I knew I was missing a series.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  16:56:38  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also Anthology of the Elves

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  18:11:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

There is also Anthology of the Elves

What is that? It's not a name I recognize.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  18:18:44  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, oops, I meant Realms of the Elves. Sorry ^^; I was thinking anthology, so that's what I typed.

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  18:26:00  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I just cannot resist…..

had…. to….post….. THIS….. pic….. (one of many I have archived for D&D, for DMing use)….

http://www.eva-widermann.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/eva-widermann-markusshayne.jpg

My apologies to the OP. Hahah! If it's any consolation, somewhere in my D&D Images archive is an equally stunning pic of an Elven couple. Just have to dig it up. Artist above is Eda Widermann, one of my favorite D&D and Pathfinder illustrators.

Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  21:07:29  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nothing beats this one - http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/854/580/b72.jpg

Gets me every time.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2016 :  02:52:31  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

quote:

Nothing beats this one - http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/854/580/b72.jpg

Gets me every time.

Oh heheh, yeah I've seen that one…. it's from Pathfinder. hehe
Go to Top of Page

Uchiha_Arthas
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2016 :  22:41:16  Show Profile Send Uchiha_Arthas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

had…. to….post….. THIS….. pic….. (one of many I have archived for D&D, for DMing use)….

http://www.eva-widermann.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/eva-widermann-markusshayne.jpg

My apologies to the OP. Hahah! If it's any consolation, somewhere in my D&D Images archive is an equally stunning pic of an Elven couple. Just have to dig it up. Artist above is Eda Widermann, one of my favorite D&D and Pathfinder illustrators.

Nice artwork.

Have to admit I am more interested in the Elven couple picture though so any chance you could dig it up? :)
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  02:25:29  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uchiha_Arthas
Nice artwork.

Have to admit I am more interested in the Elven couple picture though so any chance you could dig it up? :)

Hi Uchiha, here is the direct link to the pic (below). I also posted the link to the artists website his illustration gallery. Please be advised that some of those (fantasy) illustrations are NSFW, as they can contain "adult" situations.

The Elf Couple pic itself is mild, it's sweet actually, it's a couple of (sun?) elves taking a stroll in the forest. It's an extremely gorgeous image, I must say. The Elven goddess of love, whats her name, Hanali Celanil? would be proud of the imagery. P.S. as I said, I archive lots of these pictures, as these are immensely helpful imagery when I am DMing a campaign. Not just pics of elves and humanoids, but literally every illustration of D&D monsters in lore. Enjoy!

http://mathiaarkoniel.com/art/commissions/elfcouple.jpg

http://mathiaarkoniel.com
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  03:47:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hanali is correct :) and that is a pretty picture.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000