Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 So how come no one is discussing SKT?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  13:08:01  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
You would think with a new adventure out people would be talking about it. I haven't seen much about it to be honest. I have seen they brought the Tressym back.

Anyone have the adventure?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  13:36:03  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, I have no interest in buying the adventures until we have a proper FRCG,it putting the cart before the horse as far I'm concerned.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  15:07:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its 5e so its on my embargo list. It contains no lore so i dont want it

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  15:20:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know it was out. I've not been to the Wizards site in months.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  16:35:44  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not out here yet, looking forward to it!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  16:42:10  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just checked WotC's site. It comes out on the 6th of September, so it isn't out yet. I've heard that Ed had a hand in this, so I might pick it up, to see if there's any good lore.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 27 Aug 2016 16:43:20
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  19:55:09  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

From what I understand it contains alot of lore, its very sandboxy from what I've heard.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  21:18:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay i shall refine my statement and say that it has no lore i can use.

Its the wrong century for starters.

Suddenly there is a ruler of all giant kind again. Despite the giants themselves having split and fought amongst themselves for millenia and have no realms left. They are spread thin across massive areas. How do you rule a people like that. I bet he isnt even called a Paramount.

I hear the timeline is wonky and doesnt match up with the 5 adventures they have published so far. They only have 5 for fs sake, how could they not be bothered to check for consistency.

I dont even want to know when the uthgardt made giants their hated enemy. It has always been the orcs for the uthgardt but suddenly in 5e the two are best buds.

Its just more cult of kewl stuff and i dont even want to sully my eyes by reading it.

Oh dear i appear to have ranted again. Sorry

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2016 :  22:24:50  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:

From what I understand it contains alot of lore, its very sandboxy from what I've heard.

I hope that's true, and if Ed's involved then it should be. However, PotA was sandboxy and had very little lore.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  04:25:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get really, really tired of seeing new products dismissed and called useless before they're even out.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  09:47:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think 4 previous adventures is enough to see which way the wind blows. They might make decent adventures, but they make rubbish realms supplements.

There is almost no lore in each adventure and no continuity between any lore (prior edition or current).

I dont have to watch jaws 5 to say that i wont like it because it will probably be rubbish. Jaws 2 to 4 were rubbish so jaws 5 is also likely to be.

If im wrong then brilliant, ill go and buy the adventure and enjoy reading it, but i predict it will be more of the same so i have no interest in it until it is proven to be different. (Plus the reviews of leaked copies suggest it is more of the same).

Just my opinion of course, but thats what the thread was asking for (why is no one interested?)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  15:38:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just because some supplements were crap doesn't mean they all will be -- if you base future performance solely on past performance, then everything Realms should be awesome, because there was a lot of really awesome stuff in 2E.

What I find irksome is prejudging something without even bothering to look at it. With your stated attitude towards this and almost any other new Realms material, this could be the most awesome supplement written in the history of ever, and you'd still pan it without ever looking at it.

If you look at it and then decide to say it's crap, fine, no problem. But when people are looking for informed opinions and you go spouting off "I don't need to look at it to know it sucks!" that's not offering an informed opinion, and it's not helping anyone else out. It's just kneejerk and pointless negativity for the sake of negativity. It's something we saw all too much of when the edition wars were raging and people couldn't discuss what they liked without someone coming in to tell them how wrong they were.

We don't need that kind of negativity.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  17:07:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welk if i see it ill peruse it and let you know if my opinion changes.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  04:27:38  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting more and more excited for this release. Listened to the main D&D podcast, where it's said to describe about 500 locations throughout the North. Checkout this io9 preview which shows some of the stuff in the book.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/an-inside-look-at-dungeons-dragons-new-giant-filled-a-1786097644
It sounds like this has the potential to not just be an adventure, but also contain enough descriptive material on the North to really get a campaign going.

Edit: forgot to include the link.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 04 Sep 2016 12:40:16
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  14:31:53  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think 4 previous adventures is enough to see which way the wind blows. They might make decent adventures, but they make rubbish realms supplements.

Ummm, WotC never promised that those (last 4) supplements were marketed as "lore books". They are adventures. First and foremost, they are adventure campaigns. If they also contain a bit of lore, then that's a plus. Don't hate on the adventure books for doing what they are supposed to do…. BE adventure books.

I understand that you are disappointed there is little in the way of LORE supplements so far (SCAG being the first in 5e). But don't dump on all the adventure books for being adventure books. At least one of them, Curse of Strahd released earlier this year, has gotten very positive reviews. I have the damn thing, and it has very solid production values. It even contains a POSTER MAP of the awesome Castle Ravenloft, which is a huge bonus.

For all your negativity, do you even bother to fill out those MONTHLY survey/feedback that WotC has been doing? They have been doing this for months, the purpose is to see what content Players want with future 5th Edition books. What classes need work or revision. What sub-classes (like prestige classes) would you like to see in future supplement. What new feats would you like to see introduced (re-introduced), etc. I think one of the first Surveys (well over a year ago) asked which of the Campaign Settings we would like to see supplements for? Forgotten Realms versus Eberron vs Greyhawk vs Whatever. You can bet that I voted on that poll!

At the end of every survey, there is a Comment box and you can write in exactly what else you would like that the month's Survey did not cover.

I have been participating in such Survey, rather than stewing in negativity.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  18:40:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No wallowing or stewing has occured. He asked why no one is talking about it and ive said im not talking about this new adventure because i didnt like the last 4 adventures and i think this will be more of the same.

I want interesting lore and so far have gotten little to none.

So ive spent my time making a new rulesystem (i dont like 5e either) and writing my own lore. It may or may not be as good in the opinion of others but it keeps me happy.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  20:58:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So "no one is discussing SKT" because it just doesn't look interesting, promising, or relevant, lol? It seems few (if any) of us are interested in 5E, in products which lack Realmslore (let alone in products which contain "bad" or offensive Realmslore), or in being buying more disappointments from Wizbro.

Too little, too late, too much, too often, and too many alternatives. No longer interested whether Ed is involved or not. It's a wonder Wizbro hasn't figured it out yet, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  21:29:58  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

So "no one is discussing SKT" because it just doesn't look interesting, promising, or relevant, lol? It seems few (if any) of us are interested in 5E, in products which lack Realmslore (let alone in products which contain "bad" or offensive Realmslore), or in being buying more disappointments from Wizbro.

Too little, too late, too much, too often, and too many alternatives. No longer interested whether Ed is involved or not. It's a wonder Wizbro hasn't figured it out yet, lol.

It honestly surprised me how little I cared, and that makes me a little sad. A part of me really hopes that after it's out I'll open up this page and see everybody saying how surprisingly amazing it is and how it answers so many questions, how it's what's been missing. But the rest of me know that this part of me is full of... well, like I said I'm now a little sad. At least I'm looking forward to "The Devil you know", hopefully next year's going to be better than this one.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  21:32:27  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

Ummm, WotC never promised that those (last 4) supplements were marketed as "lore books". They are adventures. First and foremost, they are adventure campaigns. If they also contain a bit of lore, then that's a plus. Don't hate on the adventure books for doing what they are supposed to do…. BE adventure books.

I understand that you are disappointed there is little in the way of LORE supplements so far (SCAG being the first in 5e). But don't dump on all the adventure books for being adventure books. At least one of them, Curse of Strahd released earlier this year, has gotten very positive reviews. I have the damn thing, and it has very solid production values. It even contains a POSTER MAP of the awesome Castle Ravenloft, which is a huge bonus.

For all your negativity, do you even bother to fill out those MONTHLY survey/feedback that WotC has been doing? They have been doing this for months, the purpose is to see what content Players want with future 5th Edition books. What classes need work or revision. What sub-classes (like prestige classes) would you like to see in future supplement. What new feats would you like to see introduced (re-introduced), etc. I think one of the first Surveys (well over a year ago) asked which of the Campaign Settings we would like to see supplements for? Forgotten Realms versus Eberron vs Greyhawk vs Whatever. You can bet that I voted on that poll!

At the end of every survey, there is a Comment box and you can write in exactly what else you would like that the month's Survey did not cover.

I hope you realize the survey's mean nothing. They are just a marketing tool that creates the illusion that the people are voting for what they want. Since there is no physical way we can ever know what the true results are we have to take a mega corps word for it. Bright, shiny, and high production do not equal good when it comes to adventures. I own them all as well and I can tell you they are mediocre at best.

The problem is Chris Perkins. He is not as good as he thinks he is and keeps coming out with these adventures that seem good to new gamers because they don't really know any different. I get tired of the "negativity" word getting thrown around everytime you don't want to take that step off the cliff like the other sheep. Change happens when people voice the things they don't like. If you like the new stuff then off you go. I personally do not so I will voice my opinion however I feel I need to and I say the same for others.

I get tired of all the positivity for crap products.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  22:15:04  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

The problem is Chris Perkins. He is not as good as he thinks he is and keeps coming out with these adventures that seem good to new gamers because they don't really know any different. I get tired of the "negativity" word getting thrown around everytime you don't want to take that step off the cliff like the other sheep. Change happens when people voice the things they don't like. If you like the new stuff then off you go. I personally do not so I will voice my opinion however I feel I need to and I say the same for others.

Curse of Strahd won a Gold Ennie for best adventure, and was almost entirely Perkins written...

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  23:03:06  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gotta say it really sucks how FR is in a state of purgatory where hardly anything save for a little adventure book gets published once a year, especially when compared with how much content Paizo publishes for it's Golarion setting
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  23:58:53  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

quote:

Curse of Strahd won a Gold Ennie for best adventure, and was almost entirely Perkins written...

Well let's look at a few things.

1: Ennies don't set the gold standard.

2: It was mostly done by Weis and Hickman.

3: It was the newest adventure out.

4: What exactly was it up against? ( Not much)

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  00:51:16  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough if you played it and didn't like it. I haven't so I can't really say. I've only heard good things except from you though. I'm pretty sure Perkins wrote the whole thing with some broad stroke consulting from Hickman. The other three 5e adventures were all outsourced as far as I'm aware, and people liked Curse of Strahd the most.

All that said it sounds like you have good reasons for being so upset. There are definitely quite a few people on this forum that share your views, and are disappointed with everything being put out. All I can say is that I'm really enjoying play at the table, and so are my friends. We do have to mine past products for good FR lore though, which is unfortunate. I'm hopeful that SKT will include a bit more than usual, but we'll just have to see!

Go to Top of Page

Immortalis
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  11:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Immortalis's Homepage Send Immortalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to say it but purgatory sounds like keeping hold of the rights with minimum of work. Ive seen lots of places that if FR products are released the it revors back to Mr Greenwood. It may explain why the setting is used in the core books but doesnt really say much on the realms.

Sorry for any derailment, not wanting to troll just my 2cp
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  14:46:14  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have it. But I do hear its pretty lore intensive when it comes to the North.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  14:50:42  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

I've heard a detailed description of the book and it sounds extremely detailed.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  16:29:03  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

You would think with a new adventure out people would be talking about it. I haven't seen much about it to be honest. I have seen they brought the Tressym back.

Anyone have the adventure?

I have not, but just storyline wise, it stood out as odd to me to use giants now. I think they should have started with the giants, and saved Out of the Abyss for later. Once you have defeated demon princes and rampaging dragons, giants are pretty anti-climactic.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  16:34:50  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Not out here yet, looking forward to it!

According to Amazon it will be released on 6 Sep 16.

Just waiting for it to ship to me!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  17:31:55  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Just because some supplements were crap doesn't mean they all will be -- if you base future performance solely on past performance, then everything Realms should be awesome, because there was a lot of really awesome stuff in 2E.

What I find irksome is prejudging something without even bothering to look at it. With your stated attitude towards this and almost any other new Realms material, this could be the most awesome supplement written in the history of ever, and you'd still pan it without ever looking at it.

If you look at it and then decide to say it's crap, fine, no problem. But when people are looking for informed opinions and you go spouting off "I don't need to look at it to know it sucks!" that's not offering an informed opinion, and it's not helping anyone else out. It's just kneejerk and pointless negativity for the sake of negativity. It's something we saw all too much of when the edition wars were raging and people couldn't discuss what they liked without someone coming in to tell them how wrong they were.

We don't need that kind of negativity.

AMEN!
And Ed has his hand in the pot too, Traces origins back to the earliest days of the Realms.
Greenwood created the villain.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  21:31:46  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It ships Sep 6 from Amazon, so that's tomorrow. I pre-ordered mine. I seem to be in good company, as several others here have already done so.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  22:36:23  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got SKT yesterday, and put a pre-order in for Volo's Guide to Monsters when it comes out in November.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000