Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novels Being Cancelled?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  15:16:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fan writers do have other sites for their fiction, though -- so far as I know -- those sites don't give the option of getting paid.

I'd suspect that WotC is limiting the fiction right now until they figure out the best approach. They likely want to avoid potential licensing issues (I once found a fanfic with the Sailor Moon characters winding up in the Realms) and issues that can arise from a total lack of parameters (I once saw a fanfic that had Draco Malfoy getting Harry Potter pregnant -- given what I know of the fanfic community, I'd expect there is similar Realms-based stuff out there).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  16:11:35  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Sailor Moon :P

But I see what you mean. WotC doesn't want to be bombarded by, if you will, crazy fanfiction. I for one would lover to write stories for the Realms (and see work from former FR authors). They would have to come up with some sort of way to "filter" out crazy fanfiction and legit Realms stories, if that makes sense.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  16:18:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that "signature characters" should be written only by their creators (maybe used as a cameo by others, but nothing more than that). Crossovers should be banned as well (since they involve IPs that don't belong to WotC). I also expect WotC to ban any kind of adult fiction.

Btw, the Sailor Moon thing made me chuckle. Did she end up as a priestess/chosen of Selune?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 29 Aug 2016 16:26:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  17:59:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I agree that "signature characters" should be written only by their creators (maybe used as a cameo by others, but nothing more than that). Crossovers should be banned as well (since they involve IPs that don't belong to WotC). I also expect WotC to ban any kind of adult fiction.

Btw, the Sailor Moon thing made me chuckle. Did she end up as a priestess/chosen of Selune?

It was a multipart thing that had several of the Sailor Scouts scattered in different parts of the Realms (though all were near one of the Seven Sisters, IIRC). When I last saw it -- like around 2000 or so -- the author had only done two parts. I did not save the fic locally, and the couple of times I've looked for it since then, I've not found it.

Unlike some other fanfics I saw back in the day, that one was reasonably well-written... Of course, it must also be noted that most of the fanfiction I've seen was selected for being bad; a group of us used to give these bad fanfics the MST3K treatment.

I'm still trying to figure out a couple of the euphemisms in those, and I'm still disturbed by the mere existence of another one... And that was many years ago, before 2004, when my wife and I started dating!

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2016 :  13:08:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The problem with weeding out "Let's ship Lloth/Umberlee!!" fanfic and checking for the use of signature characters is that someone would have to vet every submitted manuscripts. That would amount to wading through a gigantic slush pile, which would require trained people who would, presumedly, be paid for their time and expertise. I can't see WotC putting the necessary resources to this, unless the DMsGuild has a LOT wider distribution than it appears to. It's difficult to gauge how many copies are sold of any given product, but I get the impression that, at best, we're talking a few dozen copies. That wouldn't be financially feasible if every manuscript submitted was a gem worthy of publication. If you're wading through lots of unpublishable stuff to find the gems... Nope.
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2016 :  14:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lloth and Umberlee finally got together?! Ah Gods! Shar must be feeling left out of the lesbian love triangle right now....poor gal, probably in a dark place emotionally...
Assuming someone wrote such a story well, what would differentiate it from another story of gods and romance, such as with Midnight? How should anyone rule on something like that that?

I don't think there would ever be a clearly defined line between legit and crazy fanfiction in such a model - only what we're generally willing to accept as "ok, where the author is going makes sense to me" and the quality of the writing itself. Try to explain either of those to an aspiring writer - especially that their work isn't good enough to be allowed to write the story they want to write - and the whole thing becomes even more extremely problematic. Fanfiction generally reminds me of the brief batman musical in one episode of Batman Beyond; It might have been a quality play, but Bruce would never like or approve of it.

I don't see fiction ever being allowed on the DMsGuild.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  07:38:50  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

"I don't see any indication that anyone is trying to run D&D or the Forgotten Realms into the ground"

Then no offence, you haven't been paying attention. The SCAG is scrawny, anorexic, poor substitute for a proper FRCG, the novels have turned into a trickled, they're down to three authors, soon to be two or less, and we have 1 adventure and Volo's Guide to Monsters, there really is no novel department any more, and the only think WotC/Hasbro cares now is synergy with video games and movies. Honestly I wish they'd sell WotC to a company that would support it, and nuture it, instead of drowning it in the bath.

They gave us source material that they didn't need to give us, including a book that was pure lore and no game stats -- and we have another coming soon. We've had more than one adventure. And for the video games and movies to synergize, they've got to have a supported setting.

How this constitutes a deliberate attempt to destroy the setting is beyond me. It's further beyond me how one can maintain that WotC wants to destroy the setting and keep making money off of it at the same time.

And in all of this, I still haven't seen one reason given for why supposedly want to destroy the setting that they are planning on continuing to make money from.

Ever hear of a mother rolling over and smothering their baby by accident while sleeping?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  10:05:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

quote:

quote:

"I don't see any indication that anyone is trying to run D&D or the Forgotten Realms into the ground"

Then no offence, you haven't been paying attention. The SCAG is scrawny, anorexic, poor substitute for a proper FRCG, the novels have turned into a trickled, they're down to three authors, soon to be two or less, and we have 1 adventure and Volo's Guide to Monsters, there really is no novel department any more, and the only think WotC/Hasbro cares now is synergy with video games and movies. Honestly I wish they'd sell WotC to a company that would support it, and nuture it, instead of drowning it in the bath.

They gave us source material that they didn't need to give us, including a book that was pure lore and no game stats -- and we have another coming soon. We've had more than one adventure. And for the video games and movies to synergize, they've got to have a supported setting.

How this constitutes a deliberate attempt to destroy the setting is beyond me. It's further beyond me how one can maintain that WotC wants to destroy the setting and keep making money off of it at the same time.

And in all of this, I still haven't seen one reason given for why supposedly want to destroy the setting that they are planning on continuing to make money from.

Ever hear of a mother rolling over and smothering their baby by accident while sleeping?

Yes. It's a horrible, tragic accident.

And what that has to do with accusations of deliberate malice and sabotage is beyond me.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  13:08:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

I don't see fiction ever being allowed on the DMsGuild.

Yes, I've come to that conclusion, as well.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  17:00:19  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes. It's a horrible, tragic accident.

And what that has to do with accusations of deliberate malice and sabotage is beyond me.

It's not direct sabotage but it is irresponsible when you don't listen to the fans just because you are WoTc and you think you know best.

Cancelling the novel line is sabotage because that is part of what the Realms is built around. Wizards is only using FR in name in order to attract peoples attention. While their goal is not to smash the Realms into the ground, they will though in the pursuit of profit.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  17:10:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not direct sabotage but it is irresponsible when you don't listen to the fans just because you are WoTc and you think you know best.

Just because WotC and we fans have a different idea of what is best doesn't mean they're not listening.

My son would happily live off of chicken nuggets and animal crackers, if my wife and I would allow it. We don't. That doesn't mean we don't ask what he wants when planning dinner.

quote:

Cancelling the novel line is sabotage because that is part of what the Realms is built around. Wizards is only using FR in name in order to attract peoples attention. While their goal is not to smash the Realms into the ground, they will though in the pursuit of profit.

Can you offer definitive, verifiable proof that the novel line has been cancelled? The fact that they've not told us what is coming is not proof nothing is coming.

If you can't prove they've cancelled the novel line, then you can't prove sabotage.

And the Realms was not built around the novel line. The published Realms was built as an RPG setting. Novels have never been the primary focus.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Aug 2016 17:12:32
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  18:04:09  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And the Realms was not built around the novel line. The published Realms was built as an RPG setting. Novels have never been the primary focus.

I try staying away and I come back to find this thread....JOY!!

Wooly, I have to take issue with this. Sure, the Realms were built as a game setting. But the novel line was essential in it's popularity and its prosperity. Ever since WoTC cut down the novel line, the Realms has been on a slow decline. People don't play D&D because of the Realms. When I play at the local game shop, no one is talking about the Realms. The kids are just enjoying the game. They don't care about the setting. I attribute this to the lack of novels.

When I was a kid, I was introduced to the Realms via the novel line. When I went to play D&D I would always try to get everyone to game in the Realms. I wanted to go to the places I read about in the books and meet the characters in those stories. To discount the novels as non-important is a mistake that I think WoTC is making and that you are underestimating. Without a novel line the Forgotten Realms becomes Greyhawk.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  19:27:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

Wooly, I have to take issue with this. Sure, the Realms were built as a game setting. But the novel line was essential in it's popularity and its prosperity. Ever since WoTC cut down the novel line, the Realms has been on a slow decline. People don't play D&D because of the Realms. When I play at the local game shop, no one is talking about the Realms. The kids are just enjoying the game. They don't care about the setting. I attribute this to the lack of novels.

When I was a kid, I was introduced to the Realms via the novel line. When I went to play D&D I would always try to get everyone to game in the Realms. I wanted to go to the places I read about in the books and meet the characters in those stories. To discount the novels as non-important is a mistake that I think WoTC is making and that you are underestimating. Without a novel line the Forgotten Realms becomes Greyhawk.

I'm not arguing that the novel line isn't important. I'm saying that the published setting was not built as a place to set novels. The published setting was built for gaming -- novels were the frosting on that cake. Novels were a secondary concern.

I'm just as much a fan of the novel line as anyone else, and I think it's a damn shame and a huge mistake that they've let the novel line dwindle. I do not support this, and I don't understand why they've decided to only go with a handful of authors.

However, there are two things I will not do:

1) Assume, without an official statement or a long period of time without novels, that the novel line is cancelled.

2) Assume malicious intent behind the business decisions made by WotC or anyone else.

I'm actually quite tired of seeing both of those things.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  20:44:25  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

2) Assume malicious intent behind the business decisions made by WotC or anyone else.

Maybe not malicious intent, but are we allowed to say they're big dummies when it comes to business decisions?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  22:51:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

quote:

Maybe not malicious intent, but are we allowed to say they're big dummies when it comes to business decisions?

I would think it fair to say that their ideas of what will sell and our ideas of what we'll spend money on don't necessarily coincide.

I have no issue with questioning or criticizing the decisions they make -- I just have an issue with assuming it's malicious.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  00:11:35  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

1) Assume, without an official statement or a long period of time without novels, that the novel line is cancelled.

I'm not really saying that it's definitely done either. But for a long time I've seen the writing on the wall. I've come to accept that the novels are done in the way we knew them.

The symptom of this for me is the fact that I'm having a hard time getting through the latest Elminster novel. Not because it's not good or anything. But because I frankly have lost interest in the setting and would rather devote my reading time elsewhere now....it makes me sad thinking that way.

WoTC blew their chance to keep that big spot I left open in my brain for everything Forgotten Realms. FR held that spot for a very long time and it pretty much guaranteed that I would scope up everything Realms related spending my money with abandon.

But as soon as that novel line kept getting cut down, that space started to shrink, giving way to other interests. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who feels this way. So no, WoTC hasn't officially said that the novel line was canceled. But they made it all but an inevitability when they started neglecting it years ago.

Edited by - Caolin on 01 Sep 2016 00:12:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  02:10:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've come to accept that the novels are done in the way we knew them.

I will concede this one, most readily. I mourn the fact that the Realms isn't getting the support it once did, in any format.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  16:33:31  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it matter if its malicious or incompetence or greed, at the end of the day the results are the same.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  16:50:06  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

The problem with weeding out "Let's ship Lloth/Umberlee!!" fanfic and checking for the use of signature characters is that someone would have to vet every submitted manuscripts. That would amount to wading through a gigantic slush pile, which would require trained people who would, presumedly, be paid for their time and expertise. I can't see WotC putting the necessary resources to this, unless the DMsGuild has a LOT wider distribution than it appears to. It's difficult to gauge how many copies are sold of any given product, but I get the impression that, at best, we're talking a few dozen copies. That wouldn't be financially feasible if every manuscript submitted was a gem worthy of publication. If you're wading through lots of unpublishable stuff to find the gems... Nope.

For the most part I doubt they'd care. They probably just promote big names like Ed Greenwood for example as canon. And anyone who who sells a massive amount. Otherwise I think they just let the chips fall where they will for everyone else.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  18:15:50  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not arguing that the novel line isn't important. I'm saying that the published setting was not built as a place to set novels. The published setting was built for gaming -- novels were the frosting on that cake. Novels were a secondary concern.

I'm just as much a fan of the novel line as anyone else, and I think it's a damn shame and a huge mistake that they've let the novel line dwindle. I do not support this, and I don't understand why they've decided to only go with a handful of authors.

RAS is on the last book of his contract. Erin said the Brimstone Angels series is ending here. Something happened with Troy Denning that nobody will discuss. Paul Kemp wants more money, and WOTC isn't budging.

I'm not saying the novel line is cancelled. But they have 3 steady authors left, and 2 of them claim to be at the end of their current series. To me, it only makes sense that they will allow Ed to close it out with a novel in the spring.

If you meet someone who acts like the Joker, do you wait on a psychiatric diagnosis to confirm that they're crazy?

Also, you may argue that the Realms is primarily about the gaming setup and not the novels. Fair enough. Where is the 5e Campaign Guide?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  18:37:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

Also, you may argue that the Realms is primarily about the gaming setup and not the novels. Fair enough. Where is the 5e Campaign Guide?

There is the Sword Coast Guide, which is also a pseudo 5e guide, since it has various updates about the Realms as a whole, but yeah...

Although they *are* using the Realms for their adventure books.

Edited by - Irennan on 01 Sep 2016 18:37:56
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  00:02:47  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There is the Sword Coast Guide, which is also a pseudo 5e guide, since it has various updates about the Realms as a whole, but yeah...

Pseudo guide doesn't cut it. Its an appetizer at best.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  03:55:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a sourcebook that covers the part of the Realms they are publishing material for. Just because it's not what we want doesn't mean it's crap.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  04:04:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh I know that the SCAG is no FRCS, was just pointing out that they did produce some setting guide for 5e/post-Sundering FR.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  04:04:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

RAS is on the last book of his contract. Erin said the Brimstone Angels series is ending here. Something happened with Troy Denning that nobody will discuss. Paul Kemp wants more money, and WOTC isn't budging.

I'm not saying the novel line is cancelled. But they have 3 steady authors left, and 2 of them claim to be at the end of their current series. To me, it only makes sense that they will allow Ed to close it out with a novel in the spring.

You're right. They've never, ever given new contracts or commissioned standalone novels.

Oh, wait, they have done both of those things. Why can't they do them again?

quote:

If you meet someone who acts like the Joker, do you wait on a psychiatric diagnosis to confirm that they're crazy?

Yeah, comparisons between psychopathic murderers and companies with a bottom line are totally valid. These things are so identical it amazes me no one has seen the similarities before!

quote:

We've been given source material. We've been given adventures. And the focus from this company that makes RPGs has always been on those things. Just because they've published novels, too, doesn't mean they're not a game company.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  23:21:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's now certain that the Drizzt storyline is over. http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/109672/102457572?loadFresh=true&title=09_20_Next%20Issue (3rd paragraph)

It tells a lot about where the novels are heading.

Edited by - Irennan on 04 Sep 2016 23:22:43
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  01:45:39  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, it's now certain that the Drizzt storyline is over. http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/109672/102457572?loadFresh=true&title=09_20_Next%20Issue (3rd paragraph)

Has anyone read the interview? To be fair though, they don't say the end of "All Drizzt novels". They say the end to the "Legend of Drizzt novels". They could be ending this story arc that started out 5E.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  01:49:21  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I read something from Salvatore a few months ago that implied this would be the end of the Drizzt saga - at least for a while. Sounds like he's keen to focus on other works for a bit.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  02:01:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Has anyone read the interview? To be fair though, they don't say the end of "All Drizzt novels". They say the end to the "Legend of Drizzt novels". They could be ending this story arc that started out 5E.

Legend of Drizzt means all the Drizzt novels, AFAIK. It's the name of the saga as a whole. 5e has two series, Companions Codex and Homecoming, which will end with Hero. The interview isn't out yet, but they say very clearly that this is the "fiery conclusion" of the Drizzt novels. The synopsis of Hero also points towards that direction.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  02:39:06  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope they at least give us a good ending. Call me a sap, but I really don't want to be crying at the end of the book. Especially if the novel line is ending. I don't wantit to end on a bad note.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000