Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novels Being Cancelled?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  14:26:51  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay maybe I should have done a search but I'm a bit alarmed by a rumor going around on the net: Does anyone know if Wizbro is cancelling their novel lines in the near future?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  15:05:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel line has been dwindling for years now, but I don't think it will be cancelled completely.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  15:15:35  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to join the FB group that the conversation came from to find out more. The friend that told me about it is reliable but I can't speak for those who brought up the topic in that group. I'm hoping with all the authors & designers here we can get a final word on it. Erin M. Evans has already stated that her next novel is the last Brimstone Angels book...and I find her work to be better than most other Realm's writers. With the cut in writing I'm actually a bit worried that the rumor may be true.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  17:19:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The topic came up at the Candlekeep seminar at GenCon. Obviously, a definitive answer could not be provided, but the authors/designers there didn't think the novel line was in imminent danger of being entirely removed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  17:32:09  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope that is true Wooly. Although I slowed on my FR reading years ago I certainly don't want to see the novel lines extinguished. That would be a nail in the coffin methinks...and we don't want that.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  21:18:51  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd think we'd see the novels revert to exclusively paperbacks before being canceled outright.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  22:21:52  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this time there are no new contracts being offered. Ed won't answer outright (and I think he'd quell this rumor if it weren't true) so, for the time being, it seems as if this rumor is true. Erik Scott de Bie chimed in with simply supporting Onder Librum where many Realms authors are working now.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  22:40:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me Ed's silence about this SPEAKS VOLUMES...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  23:06:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed is not and has never worked for WotC or for TSR before them -- he's always been a freelancer. He is by no means in the loop of what WotC is doing.

And further, Ed's been fairly quiet, publicly, on a lot of things, of late. The man has a hell of a lot on his plate even before you factor in the massive effort that is Onder Librum. In regards to WotC, I don't think his silence is indicative of anything at all.

Keep in mind, if they stop publishing novels, the rights revert to Ed. Do you really thing Hasbro is going to let any IP out of its grasp?

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  23:18:07  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

At this time there are no new contracts being offered.
So with Troy's novel cancelled, that leaves us with only Erin's and Robert's upcomming novels and then that's it? Nothing more scheduled after those two (at least currently)
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  01:46:30  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has Troy's novel been confirmed cancelled? I still see Dagger of Souls on Amazon to be released early September. It will be sad to see another novel disappear if it has been cancelled.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  02:47:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

At this time there are no new contracts being offered.
So with Troy's novel cancelled, that leaves us with only Erin's and Robert's upcomming novels and then that's it? Nothing more scheduled after those two (at least currently)

It's been pointed out more than once that they generally don't list stuff all that far out. Just because there's nothing more listed now doesn't mean there's not more in the pipeline.

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  11:50:27  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't we usually know novels out to 6 months in advance?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  14:41:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We used to... But that was when we'd see multiple novels in that time frame.

I saw something online today saying that WotC had recently increased their staffing from 15 to 23 people. Obviously, this doesn't mean much for novels, since those aren't written in-house... But if they're increasing staff, it means they've got more work to be done. Hopefully, this will lead to an increase in the content they provide.

And 8 people may not sound like a lot... But that's more than half of what they had before.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  14:56:47  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I saw something online today saying that WotC had recently increased their staffing from 15 to 23 people. Obviously, this doesn't mean much for novels, since those aren't written in-house... But if they're increasing staff, it means they've got more work to be done. Hopefully, this will lead to an increase in the content they provide.

And 8 people may not sound like a lot... But that's more than half of what they had before.

We don't know if those 8 people are going to work in the RPG team, or in the Marketing team (or something like that), tho. At least, I haven't read anything about that.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  18:47:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

We don't know if those 8 people are going to work in the RPG team, or in the Marketing team (or something like that), tho. At least, I haven't read anything about that.

True, we don't have that info... But staffing up is a good sign, either way.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  21:26:04  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I know is that D&D is being left to rot on the vine.

After the Devil You Know is out, we're left with 2 FR writers, Ed and Salvarore, and lets be honest they're only keeping Ed so that rights don't revert back to him.

On the RPG side their is basically just the SCAG till Volo's Guide to Monsters comes out and their adventures, which all seem to be Dragons/Elementals/Giants rampaging on the Sword Coast (Curse of Strahd doesn't count as FR really, and didn't sound compelling anyways).

There is still no FR campaign guide, its easier to find a proper campaign guide for third party settings like Thrule or soon the Scarred Lands.

5e was supposed to be a golden age for D&D and FR and instead its turned out to be a Near Death Experience.

I hope they do make the mistake of ending the novel line so that the rights revert back to Ed.

Realistically I think the only hope for FR is if Ed and a band of Brothers and Sisters gets together to create a proper, full FRCG for DMSGUILD, and enough people get together to demand that WotC grant it offical recognition, putting max pressure on WotC to make it official.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  21:32:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, at least it isn't negative news.

@Gyor Hero seems to be the last RAS' book as well, for now. And Ed didn't make any comment about any further El novel, whereas he would make varios teasing posts on twitter while he was writing Death Masks, and THO even made a post after Ed finished writing it. The silence is quite depressing.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  21:54:21  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes, at least it isn't negative news.

@Gyor Hero seems to be the last RAS' book as well, for now. And Ed didn't make any comment about any further El novel, whereas he would make varios teasing posts on twitter while he was writing Death Masks, and THO even made a post after Ed finished writing it. The silence is quite depressing.

Change is in the air, either the novel is at an end or they have something big planned that they can't discuss.

I wish they'd sell FR to Piazo or Onyx Path, this unlife FR is trapped in is insane. I hate it.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  22:12:07  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the increase in staff makes me hopeful. Perhaps they're going to concentrate on cranking out more gaming material and less on novels for the near future. I agree the slow pace of new products is depressing and needs to change...SOON. I think 1 gaming product per month would be nice provided the quality is high and we get lore and fluff aplenty. One of the things I hate about new editions is the abundant rehashing of old material over the release of new lore. For instance, I've been wanting a write-up for the Citadel of the Raven (maps and all) since 1e/2e but we've never received it. But we'll almost certainly get new books on Waterdeep, Cormyr, the Dales, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  22:39:22  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

5e was supposed to be a golden age for D&D and FR and instead its turned out to be a Near Death Experience.
Well, it seems to be the golden age for D&D again at least.

5e is still ranked on top spots on the amazon charts and has already beaten (individually, not alltogether) each previous edition of D&D.

We may not like it, but WotC's strategy seems to be working.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  22:48:51  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

5e is still ranked on top spots on the amazon charts and has already beaten (individually, not alltogether) each previous edition of D&D.

Not sure your evidence can lead you to the conclusion it did. Maybe that pertains to 4th edition? But an Amazon chart isn't going to tell you relative sales for 1-3rd editions of D&D or FR material.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  22:54:56  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

quote:

quote:

Not sure your evidence can lead you to the conclusion it did. Maybe that pertains to 4th edition? But an Amazon chart isn't going to tell you relative sales for 1-3rd editions of D&D or FR material.

Nope, it's straight from Mearls on twitter

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/764241988128419840

Edited by - Mirtek on 18 Aug 2016 22:57:54
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  23:17:57  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those additional employees might just be fulltime shredders who take care of unsolicited submissions...

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  23:20:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the novel line does end that might actually be a good thing. If Ed gets all of the rights to the Realms back, how great would it be to see him self-publishing whatever lore he felt like working on?

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  23:22:47  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

If the novel line does end that might actually be a good thing. If Ed gets all of the rights to the Realms back, how great would it be to see him self-publishing whatever lore he felt like working on?

The thing is that Ed is already going to do something like that, with his work that will be published through the DMG. They could also contact him to contribute to one of their yearly adventures, and that would fulfill their part of the contract, as far as I know.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  00:54:20  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I'm glad for 5edition PHB sales. 2nd edition was all over everywhere in the late 80s/early 90s (which to me is the golden era of the Forgotten Realms). I'm surprised the sales are better but that's great!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  03:44:57  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

The thing is that Ed is already going to do something like that, with his work that will be published through the DMG. They could also contact him to contribute to one of their yearly adventures, and that would fulfill their part of the contract, as far as I know.

Yes but are things from the DMG (even stuff written by Ed or other published Realms authors/designers) considered canon?

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  03:55:20  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

All that does is shows is what a wasted opportunity 5e was. Honestly I might give up on FR in 2017, until FR gets its proper supports.

The Scarred Lands from Onyx Path are going to get a proper campaign setting guide for their main continent soon, like FR should have gotten with the other continients likely to follow after.

Thrule Campaign Setting Guide is already out for 5e, why can't WotC do this.

I may change my D&D focus to Scarred Lands and Starfinder (Star Trek meets Pathfinder meets Stargate) if I like it, because at least you have a proper core book, instead of an annorexic attempt at one (SCAG).
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  11:36:50  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you write here is very disturbing. :/ I know that RAS pointed that he typed "THE END" at the end of Hero, so it looks gloomy for Drizzt. If Drizzt dies then there is no point to continue FR. He was the main marketing point nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  12:07:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

If Drizzt dies then there is no point to continue FR.

You may feel that way, but for a lot of people, the Realms is more than just one character.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000