Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Kraken Society
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2016 :  03:05:01  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
TL;DR: Does anyone have any juicy things they've done with the Kraken Society?

I think I've read all the official sources on this group, but I was wondering if anyone here had developed them any further? I've done a site search but couldn't find much. I'm looking for influential groups in the North for my campaign, and I'm trying to get my head around this one.

In my head I have them as a web of intelligence gatherers, each reporting to someone above them that knows just a little bit more about the society itself. Only the top dawgs know that they're working for an evil kraken bent on domination of the Sword Coast - and by that point, because they're so embedded, they love the idea. I figure moving up through the ranks might be a little like what I imagine the Church of Scientology might be like.

What I'm having trouble with imagining is how exactly how Slarkrethel plans to achieve its goal.

I was imagining it focusing on Luskan, Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Ruathym, and other settlements of the coastal and island northern Sword Coast, and trying to get its people into positions of power so that it can take over without actual use of force. In this I see the Kraken Society in the interior (eg. the group in Yartar) as really just the periphery of the coastal city cells - ie. they exist because it benefits the Kraken Society members in Waterdeep to have intelligence gatherers in Yartar that can build up their merchant wealth through agreeable trade deals.

I also imagine Slarkrethel as playing the long-game: desiring people in positions of power in all the major coastal settlements before showing its cards. There's no point in openly ruling Luskan if it unites the other cities against it.

I'm thinking maybe the outsourcing of Waterdeep's navy to Mintarn was influenced by the Kraken Society to weaken the city - perhaps Mintarn itself has Society members in high places. The re-institution of the Waterdeep Navy by Laeral Silverhand is a thorn in its plans.

As far as Luskan goes, if I recall correctly Rethnor was the group controlled by the Society, which currently is Fifth Ship. Perhaps with everything that's happened over the last hundred years however, its Ship Baram, with its control over the fishing industries, which the Society controls.

There was a tweet from Chris Perkins that the Kraken Society would feature more heavily in a future storyline... and with the chief storm giant domain of Maelstrom allegedly being somewhere in the ocean, perhaps Storm Giant's Thunder may reveal a bit more.

Edit: Also just noticed that Volo's Guide to Monsters is going to have info on the Kraken Society.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 08 Aug 2016 03:21:22

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2016 :  16:43:46  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a notion about leaders being happy that evil kraken rules them...
Imagine it as somebody with superhuman intelect and powers - basicaly a demigod to humans. Evil is just a perspective and not taken as such from within - you admire this immensely powerful kraken and want your piece of that power too. That is why do you follow him and it has its merits (unless you fail him...).

For me the most interesting part of Kraken society is that they are basicaly trying to revive Batrachi empire. As nobody has beaten them in the water they are not weak so once he start to have noticable results there might be a huge influx form underwater cities and it could dramaticaly change the power structure of Sword Coast area.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2016 :  18:59:33  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Makes me think the Kraken society would make an interesting faction for 5e.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2016 :  19:21:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Havent done much with the kraken society yet other than tie it to a few northmen islands in the moonshae through the captains confederation (a shortlived 2e faction that i think had too much potential to be killed off in a novel).

I also linked it to a fight with Iakhovas since cloak and dagger mentioned that slarkrathel was at war with some unknown enemy in the great sea.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2016 :  16:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't the Captain's Confederation just the name used in Tangled Webs for the feuding lords of Luskan? Or are you referring to Waterdeep's attempts to ally with the islands in the same?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000