Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New 5E Background: Faithful of Haela
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  02:47:54  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I was thinking of playing a dwarven battlerager for my next character and realized that there were no backgrounds that quite captured what I wanted. Comments welcome.

Faithful of Haela

You have been touched by Haela Brightaxe, the Lady of the Fray and the Luckmaiden, and serve her freely. You are most likely a dwarf, but not necessarily—Haela has been known to bless those of other races.
Haela is well-regarded by dwarves, particularly wanderers and adventurers, as well as by many non-dwarven adventurers, due to the legendary deeds of her followers, but she is commonly seen as nothing more than a dwarven god of berserkers (known as kuldjarghs or axe idiots among the dwarves)—akin to the bloodthirsty Garagos—by the more sedentary inhabitants among non-dwarven cities.
Like Haela, you live life to the fullest with a ready laugh, finding joy in adventure and battle, the boisterous performing of battle songs, and drunken dancing that often involves impressive tumbling. At the same time, non-dwarves often find your mere presence, proclivity for barroom brawls, and performances, discomfiting and scary. The Lady of the Fray may also be responsible for granting you a knack for repairing your armor and weapons.

Skill Proficiencies: Acrobatics, Intimidation

Tool Proficiencies: One type of artisan’s tools (most commonly smith’s tools, but your may select brewer’s supplies or leatherworker’s tools instead) and one type of musical instrument (any, but most commonly bagpipes or drums)

Equipment: A set of artisan’s tools with which you are proficient, a musical instrument with which you are proficient, a bag of 20 caltrops (in honor of ancient Haelan custom), a set of traveler’s clothes, a trophy taken from a fallen enemy (a claw or fang, broken blade, piece of a banner, or the like), and a belt pouch containing 15 gp

Starting Lifestyle: Modest

Feature: Reputation of the Kuldjargh
You are well-regarded by most dwarves and many former adventurers of other goodly races and may call upon their hospitality to find a place to rest and recuperate, unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them.
Among non-dwarves, however, your singing and dancing are often seen as unsettling and reputation for violence has left folk afraid of you. When you are in a non-dwarven settlement, you can get away with minor offenses, such as forgetting to pay for drinks at a tavern, rowdiness, or even getting into brawls, since most people will not report your activity to the authorities.

Suggested Characteristics
Often considered rude and uncouth among non-dwarven folk, the faithful of Haela have little patience for the niceties of other cultures. Your lust for life and battle shape your bonds.

d8 Personality Trait
1 I’m driven by a wanderlust to seek adventure.
2 To me, a tavern brawl is a nice way to get to know a new city.
3 I never pass up a friendly wager.
4 I have a gruesome sense of humor and my language is as foul as an otyugh nest.
5 I face problems head on. A simple, direct solution is the best path to success.
6 I can stare down a giant without flinching.
7 I’m full of inspiring songs and tales from my battle experience.
8 I enjoy being strong and like breaking things.

d6 Ideal
1 Faith. I trust in the Luckmaiden to guide my actions. I have faith that she will lead me to victory. (Any)
2 Duty. I always try to defend the beleaguered and besieged, no matter the personal cost. (Good)
3 Deliverance. I find validation, liberation, and exultation through battle. (Chaotic)
4 Righteousness. I will show mercy on noble foes, but will not hold my hand against the treacherous and honorless. (Good)
5 Adventurous. Wandering in search of adventure is freedom—the freedom to go anywhere and do anything. (Chaotic)
6 Glory. I must earn glory in battle, for myself and my clan. (Any)

d6 Bond
1 I am sworn to fight for and defend my dwarven kin wherever they may be.
2 I would love to return an ancient dwarven artifact to my kin.
3 Faith and honor are my life.
4 I’ll never forget the crushing defeat my company suffered or the enemies who dealt it.
5 Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for.
6 I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.

d6 Flaw
1 I am too enamored of ale and spirits (including gutshaker) and drink excessively.
2 Violence is my answer to almost any challenge.
3 I am uncouth and blunt. As such I make others uncomfortable and often find myself in trouble.
4 There’s no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.
5 I’ll do anything to win fame and renown.
6 My hatred of my enemies is blinding and unreasoning.

Edited by - TomCosta on 06 Aug 2016 03:09:21

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  04:16:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it does appear interesting and I not well versed in 5th Edition however, it appears from what little I know that your list has flaws.

From: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Haela_Brightaxe
quote:
Haela Brightaxe was one in spirit with good-aligned dwarves who loved battle and who lived to cleanse Toril of evil monsters. Haelan clerics fought monsters whenever they could find them, either to destroy the evil beast, or just for the thrill of battle. Haela, as she was a goddess of luck, took great risks in the battles she fought.

I see nothing about fighting evil, nor do I see anything about song on dance as ritual. You might need to look for another deity to suit your goal of a battlerager.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 06 Aug 2016 04:17:30
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  04:16:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  14:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well it does appear interesting and I not well versed in 5th Edition however, it appears from what little I know that your list has flaws.

From: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Haela_Brightaxe
quote:
Haela Brightaxe was one in spirit with good-aligned dwarves who loved battle and who lived to cleanse Toril of evil monsters. Haelan clerics fought monsters whenever they could find them, either to destroy the evil beast, or just for the thrill of battle. Haela, as she was a goddess of luck, took great risks in the battles she fought.

I see nothing about fighting evil, nor do I see anything about song on dance as ritual. You might need to look for another deity to suit your goal of a battlerager.

The FR Wiki isn't a great source and is often missing a lot of information. Demihuman Deities lists valor and liberation as things Haela stresses, as well as striking down the evil and treacherous. (The latter is pointed to in the exact passage you quote.) Dancing and singing are a fine addition, especially with how Haela exemplifies living life to the fullest and with extraordinary energy. Singing is specifically referenced in her holiday, the Time of the Spawning.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  15:08:43  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the sourcing for most of this is the 2E Demihuman Deities and 2E The Complete Book of Dwarves, though I also looked at Dwarves Deep, Races of Stone, Races of Faerun, and Faiths and Pantheons. The first source discusses Haela's acrobatic style of fighting and her specialty priests learned Tumbling. The singing is also noted as part of the rituals of her faith, but is a larger part of the original dwarven berserker (which Haela is generally the patron of), the battlerager (which has gone through a few incarnations since 2E). Good point on the lack of monster references, I'll tweak a few of the suggested characteristics to make them a bit more monster oriented.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  15:10:59  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a slightly modified version:

Favored of Haela

You have been favored by Haela Brightaxe, the Lady of the Fray and the Luckmaiden. You are most likely a dwarf, but not necessarily—Haela has been known to bless those of other races.

Haela is well-regarded by dwarves, particularly wanderers and adventurers, as well as by many non-dwarven adventurers, due her followers legendary battles against monstrous foes. Nevertheless, she is commonly seen as nothing more than a dwarven god of berserkers—akin to the bloodthirsty Garagos—by the more sedentary inhabitants of non-dwarven cities. (Dwarven berserkers are known as kuldjarghs, or “axe idiots,” with Haela’s berserker clergy known as kaxanar, or “blood maidens”—whether male or female.)

Like Haela, you live life to the fullest with a ready laugh and cheerful nature, finding joy in the face of unknown dangers, the reckless abandon of battling monsters, daring feats of acrobatics, drunken dancing, and boisterous battle songs, all the while trusting in the Luckmaiden to see you through. At the same time, non-dwarves often find your brashness and proclivity for barroom brawls discomfiting and scary. Despite her chaotic nature and trust in luck, Haela is also pragmatic and expects those favored by her to care their armor and weapons even as they revel in the gore of the monsters they fight.

Skill Proficiencies: Acrobatics, Intimidation

Tool Proficiencies: One type of artisan’s tools (most commonly smith’s tools, but your may select brewer’s supplies or leatherworker’s tools instead) and one type of musical instrument (any, but most commonly bagpipes or drums)

Equipment: A set of artisan’s tools with which you are proficient, a musical instrument with which you are proficient, a bag of 20 caltrops (in honor of ancient Haelan custom), a set of traveler’s clothes, a trophy taken from a fallen monster (a claw, fang, or the like), and a belt pouch containing 15 gp

Starting Lifestyle: Modest

Feature: Reputation of the Kaxanar
You are well-regarded by most dwarves and many former adventurers of other goodly races and may call upon their hospitality to find a place to rest and recuperate, unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them.
Among non-dwarves, however, your profanity and lewdness, gory war stories, and even your singing and dancing are seen as unsettling and your reputation for violence has left common folk afraid of you. When you are in a non-dwarven settlement, you can get away with minor offenses, such as forgetting to pay for drinks at a tavern, rowdiness, or even getting into brawls, since most people will not report your activity to the authorities.

Suggested Characteristics
Often considered rude and uncouth among non-dwarven folk, the faithful of Haela have little patience for the niceties of other cultures. Your lust for life and battle shape your bonds.

d8 Personality Trait
1 I’m driven by a wanderlust to seek adventure and battle monsters.
2 To me, a tavern brawl is a nice way to get to know a new city.
3 I trust in luck and never pass up a friendly wager.
4 I have a gruesome sense of humor and my language is as foul as an otyugh nest.
5 I face problems head on. A simple, direct solution is the best path to success.
6 I can stare down a dragon without flinching.
7 I’m full of inspiring songs and tales from my battle experience.
8 I enjoy being strong and like breaking things.

d6 Ideal
1 Faith. I trust in the Luckmaiden to guide my actions. I have faith that she will lead me to victory. (Any)
2 Duty. I always try to defend the beleaguered and besieged, no matter the personal cost. (Good)
3 Deliverance. I find validation, liberation, and exultation through battle. (Chaotic)
4 Righteousness. I will show mercy on noble foes, but will not hold my hand against the treacherous and honorless. (Good)
5 Adventurous. Wandering in search of adventure is freedom—the freedom to go anywhere and do anything. (Chaotic)
6 Glory. I must earn glory in battling monsters, for myself and my clan. (Any)

d6 Bond
1 I am sworn to fight for and defend my dwarven kin wherever they may be.
2 I would love to return an ancient dwarven artifact to my kin.
3 Faith and honor in battle are my life.
4 I’ll never forget the crushing defeat my company suffered or the monsters who dealt it.
5 Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for.
6 I fight the monsters others cannot fight for themselves.

d6 Flaw
1 I am too enamored of ale and spirits (including gutshaker) and drink excessively.
2 Violence is my answer to almost any challenge.
3 I am uncouth and blunt. As such I make others uncomfortable and often find myself in trouble.
4 There’s no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.
5 I’ll do anything to win fame and renown.
6 My hatred of my enemies is blinding and unreasoning.

Edited by - TomCosta on 07 Aug 2016 01:22:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000