Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Does anyone still buy NEW?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  19:42:43  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
So I go over to B&N today to kill some time during my lunch break. I see a massmarket paperback book that I've been waiting years for that was finally released in that format. I snatch it up and walk around the store a bit before glancing at the back cover and see the price tag: $9.99. It was then that I realized it's been awhile since I purchased a new book from a store, leading to my curiosity on what other scribes are doing ....

Are you still buying brand new books from the bookstore? (any format book, any type of bookstore, ie online) This applies to Realms-related stuff and other books as well. Maybe I'm in the minority since I have access to a fabulous local used bookstore, in addition to Amazon/eBay like everyone else, but I think I might be done with purchasing new, unless of course it's one of those rare gems that you are drooling for.

Thoughts?

Choices:

Yes
Yes, but not nearly as much as in the past
No (I don''t buy books anymore)
No (I only purchase used books)

(Anonymous Vote)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 26 Jul 2016 19:46:11

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  19:52:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still buy new books. I bought a few more game of thrones novels the other day.

For realms stuff i dont buy new anymore because im still voting with my cash against post spell plague. I do buy pathfinder stuff when i see something i might be able to use, but only pdfs for sourcebooks as its easier to copy and paste from an electronic copy.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  20:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Physical books are a precious thing. I try to get as many as I can, including all my gaming materials. I find it much easier to reference things in hard copy.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  20:51:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Physical books are a precious thing. I try to get as many as I can, including all my gaming materials. I find it much easier to reference things in hard copy.

I agree, I just buy all of my books used so long as they still appear pristine.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  21:25:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to make heavy use of a nearby used bookstore, but that was when my funding was quite limited. As my paychecks gradually got bigger, I made less trips to that bookstore and more trips to the places selling new stuff.

While it was, partially, a preference for buying stuff new, the larger reason was the selection. I had perused the shelves of the used bookstore so oft that I had pretty much gotten all that I wanted that they had. Going elsewhere was necessary, for the books I wanted.

It got to where I was only hitting the used place a few times a year... Then one day, I realized I'd not been in several months, and drove over -- and the place was gone. That really sucked.

I'm sure there are other used book stores in this area, but I've gotten into the habit of buying new and/or online; again, because of selection.

Sometimes I'll go a month or so without buying new books... But that's pretty rare. I've bought a handful this month already, there's one that came out today that I want, and my next Amazon order (in a few days) will include another book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  21:40:23  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

While it was, partially, a preference for buying stuff new, the larger reason was the selection. I had perused the shelves of the used bookstore so oft that I had pretty much gotten all that I wanted that they had. Going elsewhere was necessary, for the books I wanted.

I'm lucky here because my place is constantly stocking new stuff for fantasy books and even RPGs. Just the other day they had a full set of the Encyclopedia Magica 1-4. Each one looked brand new. I picked up 3 and 4 to complete my collection for much less than I've seen them sell for online.

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  22:16:01  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I reached the edge of the release schedule I started to buy twice. Once upon kindle release to read as soon as possible and a second time once the paperback is released to put it into my collection

While still pursuing my collection I bought anything new that just came out or was still available at amazon or the local gaming stores and also bought a lot of used paperbacks on ebay if I couldn't find them anywhere else

Edited by - Mirtek on 26 Jul 2016 22:17:44
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  22:53:41  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did until they stopped producing books from authors I like.
I buy digital books more now.

I still occasionally buy a book. But losing Kemp and others because they are cheap penny pinching idiots, cancelling several other authors books, and a general disinterest in new authors outside the realms has culled my book buying.

I will be buying Brent Weeks' next book in lightbringer.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2016 :  23:04:18  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

I will be buying Brent Weeks' next book in lightbringer.

I'm still waiting on book 2 in massmarket paperback format. It's driving me crazy.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  00:10:28  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but not nearly as much as in the past. Mostly because of time constraints.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  01:39:11  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any books that I am or would be interested in, including gaming supplements are no longer in print so I literally cannot buy anything "new" at a book store. Nor would I, 90% of what's out there now is utter garbage and that includes gaming supplements (including Realms material with few exceptions).

Right now the best material for the Realms isn't even nor will it ever be published. The only place i'd ever consider buying another "new" supplement would be on DM's Guild or if George Krashos, Jeremey Greenmeyer, Ed Greenwood, Richard Baker, Elaine Cunningham, Eric Boyd, Richard Lee Byers and Bruce Cordell started to publish all the awesome lore they've been hoarding these many years.

I would cut off my finger for the materials that that Eric Boyd has on the High Forest, and virtually anything that George has been working on.

I would pay literally any price. That is priceless lore.

I would pay pretty much anything to just pick Rich Baker's mind of Realmslore for a few hours.

He's already forgotten more Realmslore than most of us will ever know.

Edited by - Cards77 on 27 Jul 2016 16:44:16
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  03:48:35  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes new and only physical books. I don’t do the kindle type thing.
Yeah, I am that guy.

It’s cost me some tales I would pay through the nose for to have a physical copy. One of my favorite Realms authors is Richard Lee Byers. After gobbling up everything he did for the Realms I went back and started reading his earlier works. That’s something that I haven’t done for any of the other Realms authors. Last time I checked everything Byers does now is electronic only.
I miss Byers, but I have a stack of books so high that I know I have to take up a workout program so I can live long enough to do tackle the stack.

I admit I am fringe. I also know looking around these halls that no one can really point fingers about fringyness.

But I will buy old when I can’t get new. Ebay is killing me.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  04:20:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to buy Realms Novels from Half Priced Books, unless its a new Hard Cover like Death Masks.

I did buy Princes Of The Apoc and Out of The Abyss for $34 each at Barnes and Noble last Saturday. Two 20% off coupons, along with 20% off for members.

That would make me a yes and no...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 27 Jul 2016 04:21:52
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  07:09:03  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't be arsed, unlike I used to, because of how utter shite the books are now. It still amazes me how the quality of products has taken a nose dive and burned to death in a flaming inferno.

If I come across something I actually like then I will pay whatever price is on it.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Edited by - Shadowsoul on 27 Jul 2016 07:11:55
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  07:30:49  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...I buy new books... Actually, D&D books of the Realms i buy them in 2 copies...One for gaming use and one for my collection which i keep in protective bag in brand-new condition...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  08:05:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apply a rather simple philosophy. If the printed source provides material that I can make use of in my games, then I'll buy it. If it's a source that I can make use of later, then I'll either wait for it to hit the bargain bin, or until it's made over into e-book format.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  10:17:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about non-Realms material? The question was a general one, but I see a lot of people here focusing on just Realms stuff.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  12:38:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't buy near the books I did when I was younger, but I both new gaming material/books and non-gaming books. By new though, some of the books may have been printed 20 years ago, but its a new copy that I'm buying off amazon. I rarely visit used books anymore, as I buy most of my used stuff through amazon as well. I have an old used book store still around that I used to go to 20+ years ago, and I recently went there with my girlfriend and we bought a stack of maybe 10 books, but the selection was poor (and most of those were for her daughter).

By the way, on the side of non-gaming, American Gods by Neil Gaiman and Curse of Chalion/Paladin of Souls/Hallowed Hunt were some that I've discovered only in the past few years that I recommend (along with the Song of Fire and Ice trilogy... but if there's anyone here that's not reading those, I'm surprised). Also, the old Deryni series is still being written on, and I'd recommend if you can get the originals (Deryni Rising, Deryni Checkmate / High Deryni and the prequels involving Camber) it is well worth the read. In fact, given that Impiltur has a sizable population whose genealogy goes back to ancient Jhaamdath.... it could be interesting if Impiltur's paladins/churches don't trust psionicists kind of mirroring the Deryni idea of psions having to keep themselves hidden and people even wondering if they're a myth.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Jul 2016 12:50:30
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  12:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The majority of books I purchase are art reference books (fashion, architecture, interior design, plants, anatomy (human and animal), arms and armor, etc) which are already expensive as hell. Even at half-priced, you're still looking at $20+ each. As such, I only buy used unless the only option is new if I want to be sure it will last for years. Most novels (Realm books in this case) I have are often on the Kindle - I have a few hard copies but they are aging, they have been read through a few too many times to be structurally sound, and I don't get to sit down and just read a hard copy book any more so...

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  15:10:43  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only buy books relating to the Realms, so I don't have a "general" vote. I have my field manuals for identification of plants, birds, fish, mushrooms etc that I bought long ago so I no longer really buy general books.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  15:45:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

What about non-Realms material? The question was a general one, but I see a lot of people here focusing on just Realms stuff.

I didn't specifically note that, so I'll simply say that my previous philosophy of RPG book purchases, pretty much applies to just about everything published for role-playing games either generally or setting-specific.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  23:13:35  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to buy a lot more books than I do now. This goes for both Forgotten Realms books, other RPG books and other books in general. The reason is the same for all kinds of books: I don't have as much time to read as I used to.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  07:03:19  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for non-realms-gaming stuff or just stuff in general I always buy new except when it's only available as used
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  07:28:55  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For non-Realms books I also prefer to buy them new

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  23:00:28  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, 5th Edition has brought me back as far as picking up new stuff.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  03:21:30  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stopped buying FR stuff when 4th edition came out, WOTC had, bluntly put, taken a setting I'd loved and made it a new setting, why would I wanna read it.

I've been slowly getting back in with 5th edition but there's not much to buy if you've grown tired of drizzt.
Go to Top of Page

DiscerningDM
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2016 :  06:02:41  Show Profile  Visit DiscerningDM's Homepage Send DiscerningDM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I buy new, but digital-only for fiction. If audible is available I buy both audible and the book together so I can listen during my commute and pick up where I left off for my evening reading.
Go to Top of Page

KismetRose
Acolyte

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  21:03:32  Show Profile  Visit KismetRose's Homepage Send KismetRose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't buy as many books as I used to, but when I do, I buy used or I buy new from Kickstarters. There are few rare exceptions to that. Just about everything I buy is online and has been for quite some time.

Kismet's Dungeons & Dragons * World of Darkness * Gamer Gathering

Edited by - KismetRose on 12 Aug 2016 21:04:21
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  08:25:25  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I still buy new books. It goes back to the days when I was a child and the thrill of a new book. The way the pages don't fall open until I find a favourite section.

On another note, I was in a D&D/gaming shop the other day and saw the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. After looking at the price tag I thought that I could buy it for cheaper on Amazon. Realising how much I like browsing in that shop made me buy the book there and then.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

aries04
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  16:25:24  Show Profile Send aries04 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I basically get ebooks for my fiction reading now. Far easier to store :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  17:56:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Yes, I still buy new books. It goes back to the days when I was a child and the thrill of a new book.

My son recently started kindergarten, and the other day brought home one of the flyers from the Scholastic Reading Club. That took me back! I was always really stoked about getting new books through those, back when I was a kid.

So my little guy and I happily perused the flyer, picking out books for him. He enjoyed doing this, but I don't think he was quite as enthusiastic as Daddy was.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000