Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 The Lost Children of Evermeet
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  16:16:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of the greatest sorrows than can befall any parent is outliving one's children. Amlauril of Evermeet lived long past the years allotted to most elves, and she saw most of her children and grandchildren pass on to Arvandor.

Most, but not all.

The secret history of Evermeet's royal Moonflower family, a short lore book that includes possible adventure hooks, strikes me as a niche product that would be of interest to a very small group of readers/gamers. But it might be fun.

Just brainstorming here.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  17:51:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assuming this was a DM's Guild product, I would not be able to buy and download it quickly enough.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  18:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A dramatis personę of npcs might be the best way to pull this off...a kind of monater manual booklet but of allies. It would be easy to insert lore. You could even dress it up as something the pcs might get from an information broker or might be given as part of an assignment... Without the context of balancing, stats are much easier to figure out and there is the possibility of relative 'stats' (i.e. spellcast amplitude = 4.5 wands or 'very high'. Let the GM figure out what stats they need for their pc levels.)

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 06 Jul 2016 18:47:53
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  19:29:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

A dramatis personę of npcs might be the best way to pull this off...a kind of monater manual booklet but of allies. It would be easy to insert lore. You could even dress it up as something the pcs might get from an information broker or might be given as part of an assignment... Without the context of balancing, stats are much easier to figure out and there is the possibility of relative 'stats' (i.e. spellcast amplitude = 4.5 wands or 'very high'. Let the GM figure out what stats they need for their pc levels.)

Good suggestions. Thanks! :)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  21:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second what Wooly said. And if we're going with NPC's, if I can add to what's already been suggested, you could just give the Background hooks (assuming 5e rules here) such as a name, alignment, and a little exposition on their Traits, Flaws, and Bonds would be a great way to insert lore on individual characters involved, and leave it flexible to DM's to use.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  22:11:49  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have a copy of the "The Seven Sisters" supplement Elaine? I would vote for something along those lines... With little brief scenes of the characters and then discussions of their life with stats there, but really kind of an afterthought.

I'd also say it would be awesome if ALL the children (surviving and deceased) were included, and both parents (and the moonblade :P ) as well. I'd bet most people would buy it just for info on the Kingsword.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  22:35:31  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Do you have a copy of the "The Seven Sisters" supplement Elaine? I would vote for something along those lines... With little brief scenes of the characters and then discussions of their life with stats there, but really kind of an afterthought.

I'd also say it would be awesome if ALL the children (surviving and deceased) were included, and both parents (and the moonblade :P ) as well. I'd bet most people would buy it just for info on the Kingsword.

No, I don't have this particular supplement, but the format sounds about right.

Yes, all the royal children would be included. Making a note about the Kingsword.

Of all the projects I've thought about for DM Guild, this one seems the most manageable and realistic. Might be a good way to test the waters.

Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  00:09:46  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This could be a really fun idea Elaine, and potentially very useful too, as I understand it the throne of Evermeet right now is Vacent (Amlauril has dissappered or something?) and is ruled by a council of regents until a new heir to the throne can be found. this could be a really good supplement for anyone who is thinking about running a campaign based around "finding the lost heir of Evermeet"
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  00:15:07  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  00:41:30  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes please!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  02:29:15  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BrianDavion

This could be a really fun idea Elaine, and potentially very useful too, as I understand it the throne of Evermeet right now is Vacent (Amlauril has dissappered or something?) and is ruled by a council of regents until a new heir to the throne can be found. this could be a really good supplement for anyone who is thinking about running a campaign based around "finding the lost heir of Evermeet"

They're not really "lost." There are elves who knew the whereabouts of the royal Moonflowers, many of whom traveled and live abroad incognito, either as agents of the crown or to learn more about other elven lands and cultures. But I could definitely see a campaign in which a party of adventurers hears a rumor of an assassination attempt on an elven prince, so they'd have to figure out who and where he is in order to foil the attempt. Or maybe a curious bard tracks down a princess and inadvertently leads enemies to the village in which she's staying. Mayhem ensues, and the party needs to fight to save the village (and then possibly fight their way past a bunch of pissed-off elves...)

Many possibilities.
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  02:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the production time you're thinking of aiming for with this?

Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  02:57:47  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

What's the production time you're thinking of aiming for with this?

I haven't gotten that far yet. :) The idea just occurred to me today. I'll need to reread EVERMEET, decide on scope and format, and write the outline before I have an idea of timeframe.

Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  03:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The offer for art is still there

Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 07 Jul 2016 10:45:38
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  13:59:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The offer for art is still there

Thanks!

Art is another thing I haven't figured out yet.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  14:06:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just ordered an electronic copy of the SEVEN SISTERS supplement. There's a lot of crunchy bits in it, mostly new spells and magic items. Is there anything in particular you'd like to see included?

There will be some material on moonblades, and reference to the Tree of Souls. Some monsters, in particular the elf-eater from the Moonshae Islands. Clerical magic, including the ability to change elven sub-race. (The most practical application of this would involve sea elves.)
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  14:46:23  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine, I would be very interested in this supplement. If you want a slightly different perspective many of us are still playing 3.5e/Pathfinder so the more rules agnostic the product is the more likely us non 5E folks will be to pick it up.

One thing I've seen done in other products that I thought was really great was just stat blocks for each NPC, one for 5e and one for 3/3.5/Pathfinder. However i realize that may be more work than desired.

In any event, heavy on the lore and background even for the monsters, and light on the stats for ease of use across editions.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  21:51:13  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*waves* over here!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  01:11:28  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Just ordered an electronic copy of the SEVEN SISTERS supplement. There's a lot of crunchy bits in it, mostly new spells and magic items. Is there anything in particular you'd like to see included?

There will be some material on moonblades, and reference to the Tree of Souls. Some monsters, in particular the elf-eater from the Moonshae Islands. Clerical magic, including the ability to change elven sub-race. (The most practical application of this would involve sea elves.)

The reason I mentioned the Seven Sister book was the individual entries with the short vignettes and "what folk think of" "what angers" "what pleases" and "daily doings" sections which I think painted better pictures of NPCs than any other sourcebook. These made up pages 13 through 61. The stats blocks were limited, but gave really all that was needed. I figure this would completely fill your book with the greater number of characters intended.

I'd say as far as magic and things other than the characters, game based descriptions of any of the elven magics in your books would be welcome... slipshields, dreamshperes, etc., maybe even a section on elfsong (which to my mind seemed significantly different from the later descriptions of dancing spellsingers which wasn't even an elven magic). Other than that, just unique magics you want to create.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  02:15:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat idea, and I'd buy it.

Just to throw out some ideas to see if they help you:

Lost Portals to Evermeet.... maybe some of these people protect such.... and maybe there are certain items in the world that are keys to such that need to be recovered?

When Evermeet was transferred to the Feywild, did any of these royals marry into Feywild elven royal families in order to gain alliances?

Are their any ties to Rhymanthiin? Siledyuir? The Crintri recently exiled from Dambrath?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  02:31:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Neat idea, and I'd buy it.

Just to throw out some ideas to see if they help you:

Lost Portals to Evermeet.... maybe some of these people protect such.... and maybe there are certain items in the world that are keys to such that need to be recovered?

When Evermeet was transferred to the Feywild, did any of these royals marry into Feywild elven royal families in order to gain alliances?

Are their any ties to Rhymanthiin? Siledyuir? The Crintri recently exiled from Dambrath?

Good questions all. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  02:32:44  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been out of the Realms for so long that the prospect of catching up is rather daunting. I would be grateful for recommendations on source books that deal with Evermeet and the elves from 4th edition on. That's pretty much when I checked out.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  04:28:53  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only ones I know of are 3rd Ed. 4th was rather sparse.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  17:31:13  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to hear more about spellarchers and spellsingers. They don't seem to be covered much anywhere. Also anything related to the old elfgates that were closed or decommissioned anytime after the Retreat. Where they go, how they operate, etc.
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  21:38:57  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting into the realms again after an absence during 4th edition myself so I can't really provide much help. but some research from the wiki is worth noting...

"In 1385 DR, when the Spellplague struck and ravaged across Faerūn, contact was lost with Evermeet. All of the permanent portals ceased functioning and efforts by the other fey kingdoms on Faerūn to reestablish contact have failed, and it is largely thought that Evermeet was destroyed. What is little known is that Evermeet was in fact transported into the Feywild and persists there. Only an echo of the physical island, without any structures or inhabitants, now remains on Toril."

"As of 1479 DR, after the tumultuous events of the Spellplague, Queen Amlaruil is gone and a Royal Council governs, at least until a suitable heir can be found. The Royal Council consists of Lady Selsharra Durothil, Ammisyll Veldann, the Lord Marshal Keryth Blackhelm, the Grand Mage Breithel Olithir, among others. Zaltarish, previously the queen's personal scribe, has passed on"

the island has recently returned with the events of the second sundering.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2016 :  02:15:12  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet ships have also been seen on the sword coast, and according to the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, Evermeet is more accessible again.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2016 :  17:41:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to throw out there as well.... the Poscadar elves of Maztica. From their history in City of Gold, it would appear that the Poscadar Elves are Snow Elves who came south to the area around Anchorome / Maztica. Thus they are likely followers of Fenmarel Mestarine (they absolutely fit the ethos of the Lone Wolf). Might there be some involvement with them and diplomatic relations with Evermeet. Not sure if its an idea worth looking into, but its at least something different and its fairly "open" as the only thing done with the Poscadar elves was back in 2e City of Gold as far as I know (and that wasn't much).

Poscadar Elves

The plateau north of the Pasocada River and Long Canyon is home to the Poscadar Elves#151;a tall, bronze skinned tribe of demi-humans who lead a nomadic existence hunting bison and other great game across the grassy plains. Poscadar lore says the elves came from the north, generations ago, where they were first created by the gods in a land of perpetual ice and snow. A wise shaman led them south, where the sun shone warm in the summer, and the great wild herds assured health and plenty year round. Here they met humans ancestors of the Azuposi #151;who befriended them and
traded grains for hides and meat from the elves. For all remembered generations, even to the present day, the Poscadari and the Azuposi have been at peace.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2016 :  19:14:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might just be me, but i would use the sundering (the elven one) as the origin for the poscadar and elves on other continents

Evermeet is excellently placed to allow elves to travel anywhere to reach the other continents ( north at the pole is just a short trek to karatur or the endless wastes, west to maztica, east to faerun, south east to zakhara).

We know the vyshaan created evermeet under malkizids influence. What we dont know is why. What if it was to destroy a strong enemy of the vyshaan. The sundering rippled back and forth in time so it would have erased almost all knowledge of this enemy nation before it even existed.

Can anyone think of an elven city that sunk beneath the waves at some unknown location at some unknown point in the past?

The survivors that became the natives of evermeet could then been displaced when the vyshaan arrived to claim their prize (or they could have fled earlier)

Just a thought and it might be a mad one but it solves an old fr secret while creating a few more possibilities.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  11:02:33  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just to throw out there as well.... the Poscadar elves of Maztica. From their history in City of Gold, it would appear that the Poscadar Elves are Snow Elves who came south
Maybe.
quote:
Thus they are likely followers of Fenmarel Mestarine

Does not follow.
For other options - they may venerate Tarsellis Meunniduin. Or even non-Seldarine (see also: Yuir).
quote:
(they absolutely fit the ethos of the Lone Wolf).

How so? If anything, they are less insular and more friendly than typical wood elves, let alone grumpy followers of Fenmarel.

quote:
Might there be some involvement with them and diplomatic relations with Evermeet. Not sure if its an idea worth looking into, but its at least something different and its fairly "open" as the only thing done with the Poscadar elves was back in 2e City of Gold as far as I know (and that wasn't much).

Maybe. Speaking of which, we don't know what is Evermeet's game with Maztica. Nor do those who have to deal with either, of course.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  17:01:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After alluding to it i realised i cant remember the name of the elven city that was suppposedly sunk. I dont suppose someone can refresh my memory so i can write it down.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  20:07:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Just to throw out there as well.... the Poscadar elves of Maztica. From their history in City of Gold, it would appear that the Poscadar Elves are Snow Elves who came south
Maybe.
quote:
Thus they are likely followers of Fenmarel Mestarine

Does not follow.
For other options - they may venerate Tarsellis Meunniduin. Or even non-Seldarine (see also: Yuir).
quote:
(they absolutely fit the ethos of the Lone Wolf).

How so? If anything, they are less insular and more friendly than typical wood elves, let alone grumpy followers of Fenmarel.

quote:
Might there be some involvement with them and diplomatic relations with Evermeet. Not sure if its an idea worth looking into, but its at least something different and its fairly "open" as the only thing done with the Poscadar elves was back in 2e City of Gold as far as I know (and that wasn't much).

Maybe. Speaking of which, we don't know what is Evermeet's game with Maztica. Nor do those who have to deal with either, of course.

The reason I linked them with snow elves was also their general body type and such. They're tall and lanky, like snow elves, and they come from a formerly snowy area. The linkage to Fenmarel Mestarine is that he appears to be Tarsellis if you read his history in demi-human deities (both had a fling with Lolth, both are now outcasts from the Seldarine, both betrayed the Seldarine, etc...), though true that could be a misnomer. In fact, I half wonder if these aren't transplants from Greyhawk via portal or spelljamming (it should be noted that the "City of Gold" named Michaca apparently at one time held powerful and corrupt arcanists of some sort who did have some involvement with spelljamming according to City of Gold... which when I heard that also made me wonder if any Netherese had come here).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000