Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Seros
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  16:07:15  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The threat from the sea was one of my favorite events in the realms. I'm wondering a few things...

Has there been any updates to what is going on underwater since the original novels and game supplements?

Has there been any quality fan speculation?

Is there a 5e dukar update and if not, what class would you put them under as an archetype?

Is there any info on the Sea of Corynactis? All I know is that it has Shalarin, an addiction to Dagon, and lies "somewhere" west of Maztica.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  16:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*other than what's in the GHotR

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  16:27:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a go at reinventing this event slightly and removing the unnamed artefacts iakhovas was seeking.

Its in one of my alternate dimensions issues.

I believe i reversed thr events somewhat and had iakhovas pulled from the sea of corynactis into seros where he tried to escape and dagon manipulated him into forcing the use of the magic at myth nantar (that big reverse whirlpool) which would shatter the bonds preventing dagon from entering seros through the trench of lopok.

It was one of my more far fetched reinventions merging abeir and torils history and events a bit more.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  16:34:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically, since those novels were completed, there has been pretty much nothing official touching on that material. No lore updates, no rule updates, just a lot of squat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  18:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I had a go at reinventing this event slightly and removing the unnamed artefacts iakhovas was seeking.

Its in one of my alternate dimensions issues.

I believe i reversed thr events somewhat and had iakhovas pulled from the sea of corynactis into seros where he tried to escape and dagon manipulated him into forcing the use of the magic at myth nantar (that big reverse whirlpool) which would shatter the bonds preventing dagon from entering seros through the trench of lopok.

It was one of my more far fetched reinventions merging abeir and torils history and events a bit more.

Do you remember which one? I'd like to take a look.

Meh nevermind I'm being lazy, I'll look through your TOCs

And Wooly, that's sad. I think that dukars particularly could use an update.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  19:59:24  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's sad that nothing else was produced. That was a fun/unique trilogy.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  20:05:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

I wasn't a huge fan of the trilogy, myself, but The Sea of Fallen Stars remains one of my favorite sourcebooks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  20:23:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was issue 6 in the article titled Laerakond: Sea of Corynactis.
It was also slightly linked to issue 4 and the article Laerakond: Sea of Fire.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  21:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I wasn't a huge fan of the trilogy, myself, but The Sea of Fallen Stars remains one of my favorite sourcebooks.

I was a big fan of the novels' depiction of sahuagin culture. They hadn't been that closely defined before or since. Also Iahkovas was a complex character who was really well developed.

Undersea adventures have rarely been done that well. Only the Wyrmskull Throne really disappointed me to be honest.

*Edit: I just remembered there might have been some books specifically on sahuagin stay I owned at one time. I'll have to change my statement to "it's never been done better.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 14 Jun 2016 21:20:25
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  21:43:46  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a 2nd Edition book, I think it was called Sea-Devils. It was one of 3 in a series of Lore Book/Module trilogies. There was one on Illithids, one on Beholders, and one on Sahuagin.
I recall that the 2nd Moonshae trilogy had some Sahuagin in it. I haven't read the threat from the sea trilogy however so I'll assume the depiction there was better and consider it another reason to add that to my Realms Novels catch up list.

Edited by - Korginard on 15 Jun 2016 21:51:37
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  14:51:25  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I liked Dukars - though I thought the whole "coral hand" thing was a little goofy...

What I loved was the Jorunhast had become one of their leaders!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  17:17:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This site offers a summarized chronology of Seros circa -29000DR until 1371DR. It appears to be canon although it doesn't reference sources, it might be partially fan-based. No mention of 5E, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2016 :  11:40:49  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korginard

There was a 2nd Edition book, I think it was called Sea-Devils. It was one of 3 in a series of Lore Book/Module trilogies. There was one on Illithids, one on Beholders, and one on Sahuagin.

Monstrous Arcana. The Sea Devils + Evil Tide/Night of the Shark/Sea of Blood.
quote:
I recall that the 2nd Moonshae trilogy had some Sahuagin in it. I haven't read the threat from the sea trilogy however so I'll assume the depiction there was better and consider it another reason to add that to my Realms Novels catch up list.

Starlight and Shadows had them appear and promptly sent back smoked disappear; linked to the Kraken Society.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  05:00:22  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

The threat from the sea was one of my favorite events in the realms. I'm wondering a few things...

Has there been any updates to what is going on underwater since the original novels and game supplements?

Has there been any quality fan speculation?

Is there a 5e dukar update and if not, what class would you put them under as an archetype?

Is there any info on the Sea of Corynactis? All I know is that it has Shalarin, an addiction to Dagon, and lies "somewhere" west of Maztica.

Dakar in Dreams of the Red Wizards adventures, Storm Kings Thunder tells of the throne.

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  12:55:35  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dukars got updated in Champions of Valor for 3.5E, but not much lore, mostly crunch.
Go to Top of Page

Wendolyn
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2021 :  00:23:44  Show Profile Send Wendolyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There has been some developments in the Sea of Fallen stars since the 1370s, but not much. I agree with Wooly that The Sea of Fallen Stars is simply an amazing sourcebook, one of my favorites. So much good lore, and so imaginative! Excellent worldbuilding.

The main canon updates that I know of are in Plague of Spells which I read recently to extract the lore from it. The main takeaways are,

1) The Arcanum of Olleth was conquered by a Kuo-Toa force (probably from Leshynmul?) during the spellplague. This is actually very reasonable, it makes sense that an empire of Morkoth wizards would suffer disproportionately from the spellplague. And the events in the 1370s involving Leshynmul and kuo-toa in general suggest they were building for a strike.

2) The sea-elves retreated from their locations across Serôs to Myth Nantar. This also makes sense in my opinion, and also explains why the population of Myth Nantar had grown so much population-wise by the time of the 4e campaign guide.

But I think this only touches the surface of the events that transpired in Serôs between 3e and 5e. I am convinced there must have been a Thirteenth Serôs War. For as it is said in the The Sea of Fallen Stars: "Unlike some of the regional wars and border skirmishes and battles for economic or social control in Faerűn, battles within the Inner Sea by proximity and effect involve all denizens of the deep. Therefore, aside from minor skirmishes among hunting parties and guard patrols along established borders, all major conflicts among two initial parties usually draw in all their allies.."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000