Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Hero
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  17:07:52  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The synopsis is up for Hero on Wizards website. The more I read it the more I feel like this could be the last Drizzt novel. I think Salvatore said it probably wasn't, but the synopsis talks about a last adventure to find family and home. I don't really see Drizzt doing much adventuring when Cattie gets pregnant which is something they both want soon.

The synopsis doesn't really give us much meat for what the book will be about (though apparently the Rage of Demons is already over with most of the Demon Lords still active and no clue how Lolth turned out). The cover art doesn't look bad though. Entreri and Drizzt back to back.

What are people's thoughts on this book? I am still kind of holding out hope for Bob to create a brand new wizard character that would start off as a child like Drizzt did when he finishes the Drizzt Saga. I don't have much hope that it will happen, but I can dream.

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  17:15:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're far from being the only one holding hope for some new storylines to happen (or for an update/aftermath/continuation of the older ones), but yeah... we've already talked the new direction of FR fiction in the other thread :(

Taking a wild guess, this is likely to be the last book (for a long while, at least), especially given what was hinted about the novels coming to an end altogether. Rage of Demons will probably remain unresolved, and Lolth's plan will probably be considered a failure (like it happened for the other big plans of the previous storylines).

Link's here: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/fiction/novels/hero

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Jun 2016 17:17:04
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  17:42:07  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be completely done with Salvatore's works if he does the cliche overdone complete 180 villain redemption trope with Entreri.
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  03:50:29  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where was it hinted that the novels would be done altogether? This is the first I heard about it, and it is extremely depressing news.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  04:01:46  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

Where was it hinted that the novels would be done altogether? This is the first I heard about it, and it is extremely depressing news.

It was said in a magazine published by Ed's publishing group. Idk if the news have been confirmed, but yeah, it's depressing news.

Here's a screenshot from that mag: http://postimg.org/image/q4mnlqoff/609fc0ee/

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  04:11:52  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

It was said in a magazine published by Ed's publishing group. Idk if the news have been confirmed, but yeah, it's depressing news.

OK.....WTF! Can someone please elaborate on this? Is this legit? I see no official markings and this could totally be made up. Are there any alternate sources backing this up?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  04:15:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a SS that I took from this: https://onderlibrum.com/2016/04/onder-magazine-issue-001/. It has no WotC markings because it is not a WotC magazine. No other sources backing that.

Edited by - Irennan on 04 Jun 2016 04:15:42
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  04:27:18  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lets hope its shit then. To get rid of the novels just doesn't make sense anyway. Practically all novels are coming out in hardback right now which says, to me at least, that they are all making a profit. Books are only released in hardback when they make a certain level of income. Otherwise they are just released as paperbacks. So there has to be a decent sum of money being made on all the books. It is utter stupidity to cancel something when a profit is being made. Here I am hoping they increase the number of books each year... Anyone able to ask Ed about this?

Edit: After reading the source, it looked to me like they were just guessing and it was not 'real' information. I read it as 'since the source material is becoming a trickle, it looks like the books are ending' kind of thing instead of legitimate information. I can hope anyway.

Edited by - Lamora on 04 Jun 2016 04:29:59
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  04:40:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I truly hope so. I've asked Ed on Facebook. Will report the answer here.

And yes, I too think that it doesn't make sense to cancel the novels, but looking back at WotC's choices concerning the Realms, yeah...

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  04:55:17  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So those weren't words from Ed's interview with them?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  04:57:51  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, those are his words. I've asked him if it is possible to hear more.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  05:20:09  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, still seems suspect. I'd want to hear the whole story. it's mind boggling that they would cut the novel line entirely.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  15:47:14  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I can only hope he means the reduction in the amount of novels. I'd be surprised if they dropped Salvatore, but then again I guess it's possible. I wouldn't mind seeing the Zak and Jarlaxle prequel, but I would like to keep picking up my normal Realms novels that I've done for 25 years. Sigh. Hope it turns out OK.
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2016 :  13:15:22  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any update on this most disturbing rumor about the end of novels? It would be a disaster to me. I'm buying all their hardbacks (although I prefer paperbacks, because they are lighter) simply to back the novel line financially.

Edited by - Elsenrail on 05 Jun 2016 13:16:13
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2016 :  13:43:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed hasn't replied to my comment on his FB page yet. However, he has been *extremely* busy as of recent, so we might have to wait for his answer. We might add the question to the ''ask Ed'' thread, perhaps THO knows something.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  00:38:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elsenrail

Any update on this most disturbing rumor about the end of novels? It would be a disaster to me. I'm buying all their hardbacks (although I prefer paperbacks, because they are lighter) simply to back the novel line financially.

Word in the street is that they are focusing on the movie. Novels will likely flow from that if it does well.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  02:01:20  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*rings the doom bell*
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  02:22:44  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, hope never dies (or dies last). Maybe the movie will actually be good, for once.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  03:25:15  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whelp! It's been good ya'll. I've had this sense for a long while that WoTC was going to do something that completely alienates me as a customer. This will be it. The movie is going to be a disaster, all live action fantasy movies outside of Willow are. When it does fail, where does that leave the Forgotten Realms in the aftermath? Not good, not good at all.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  14:10:37  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Whelp! It's been good ya'll. I've had this sense for a long while that WoTC was going to do something that completely alienates me as a customer. This will be it. The movie is going to be a disaster, all live action fantasy movies outside of Willow are. When it does fail, where does that leave the Forgotten Realms in the aftermath? Not good, not good at all.

I know the three live action LOTR movies made around 3 billion, and I believe the hobbit did over 1 billion....not sure about the rest...but live action fantasy movies can do very well and be very well done.

Now the question of if the FR movie will be handled well? I'm hopeful, but extremely doubtful.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  14:25:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just hope that they avoid the cliché D&D/fantasy tropes. Like scottish dwarves, or ''random sword guy, magic girl, and comic relief sidekick band together to save teh world'', or dimwitted villains who want ''to rule over/destroy the whole world!!11!!'', or stuff like that.

I have heard that the Undermountain will be featured prominently. If they set the greater part of the movie in a dungeon, it will be a complete snorefest IMO. And they might as well not use the Realms, since they are showcasing little of it, and ''big-a** dungeon'' can be done anywhere.

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Jun 2016 14:25:46
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  14:37:57  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cynical as it is, I foresee the new D&D movie going the direction of modern fantasy live action movies excluding huge titles like Harry Potter and LotR: amazing cinematics, terribad story. Except without the amazing cinematics as seen in Avatar and the Warcraft movie.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  20:43:26  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

I know the three live action LOTR movies made around 3 billion, and I believe the hobbit did over 1 billion....not sure about the rest...but live action fantasy movies can do very well and be very well done.

Now the question of if the FR movie will be handled well? I'm hopeful, but extremely doubtful.

I forgot about the LotR movies. But I stand by my argument. As much as I love the Realms, FR != LotR.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  20:44:33  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just hope that they avoid the cliché D&D/fantasy tropes. Like scottish dwarves, or ''random sword guy, magic girl, and comic relief sidekick band together to save teh world'', or dimwitted villains who want ''to rule over/destroy the whole world!!11!!'', or stuff like that.

To be fair, FR doesn't even avoid this. All of their Dwarves are "scottish".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  20:46:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

To be fair, FR doesn't even avoid this. All of their Dwarves are "scottish".

Not true. Many authors have had dwarven characters who didn't have any (pseudo-)Scottish mannerisms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  20:56:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

I forgot about the LotR movies. But I stand by my argument. As much as I love the Realms, FR != LotR.

The fact that the Realms isn't Middle-Earth is not a factor. I've enjoyed a lot of Realms stories more than I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings books -- heck, I couldn't even get thru LotR the first time I tried it.

It's not the setting that will determine whether or not the movie is successful... It's the story that they tell and how they tell it. The latter factor includes the actors and how much money they spend on the entire production, but even the best actors and a huge budget can't save a meh story.

My expectations are low not because it's a Realms story or because it's not Lord of the Rings, but because I don't expect Wizbro to approach this as another way to tell a good story... And even with my low expectations, I'm not going to automatically declare the movie to be crap until I've actually seen something to base that judgment on. Even past performance isn't a guarantee; earlier attempts at a LotR movie obviously did not enjoy the commercial success of the Peter Jackson movie.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  22:21:03  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The fact that the Realms isn't Middle-Earth is not a factor. I've enjoyed a lot of Realms stories more than I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings books -- heck, I couldn't even get thru LotR the first time I tried it.

It's not the setting that will determine whether or not the movie is successful... It's the story that they tell and how they tell it. The latter factor includes the actors and how much money they spend on the entire production, but even the best actors and a huge budget can't save a meh story.

My expectations are low not because it's a Realms story or because it's not Lord of the Rings, but because I don't expect Wizbro to approach this as another way to tell a good story... And even with my low expectations, I'm not going to automatically declare the movie to be crap until I've actually seen something to base that judgment on. Even past performance isn't a guarantee; earlier attempts at a LotR movie obviously did not enjoy the commercial success of the Peter Jackson movie.

My comparison to LotR was more about audience than about quality. FR isn't as well known or widespread as LotR by a long shot. So the work to promote it and to develop a story that is accessible will be twice as hard.

I'm also basing all of my opinions on experience. I've worked in film for 13 years now and after a certain amount of time you start to see patterns in what movies go on to become a success and those that don't. The biggest tell is when producers start publicly basing their concept upon other movies:

“This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before.”

This means that they don't truly have their own unique vision for their movie and thus they have to borrow from other successful movies. Don't get me wrong, it's quite common to borrow themes and styles from other movies. But no film maker worth his salt would ever ever ever describe their film in such a way. They would borrow certain elements and pass it off as their own vision.

But, I'm just being terribly negative and I really shouldn't try to ruin it for everyone who still has a positive outlook towards the Realms. I'm mad and frustrated about what I see and wanted a place to vent. But maybe I should just go away and be done with it all.

Anyways, I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a movie that you all enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Areader
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2016 :  10:05:03  Show Profile Send Areader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect that if the Warcraft movie doesn't meet the studio's profit expectations this summer, any D&D movie in development will quietly vanish.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2016 :  15:03:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is too bad. I love Warcraft, played it for many years. Here's the thing, even I wasn't too riled up about the movie from what I've seen in trailers. I still hold that the story should have focused around the Lich King. That cinematic (Lich King) was better than the trailers I've seen. And it might just be me, but he's the Darth Vader of Warcraft, can can't go wrong there. Anyway, I think they fell into the tell the story from the beginning because it'll be so awesome and we'll make more, when they should have done something like Star Wars and start in the middle. Here's hoping the Realms movie does better.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2016 :  15:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The X Meets Y formulation is standard Hollywood-speak for describing a project. It's a shorthand virtually everybody uses. Sp "Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe" doesn't necessarily mean there's no "unique vision" for the new D&D movie although, of course, it doesn't mean there is, either.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  23:00:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wary about a FR movie, but (as long as it has original characters made for the movie), I might see it.

I'll cry if the novels disappear.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000