Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Are you disappointed with the novels so far?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cyric78
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  04:57:28  Show Profile Send Cyric78 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

Overall.

Are you disappointed with the novels we've gotten so far? The past two years or more have just been a big disappointment in my opinion.

I would like to see a return of the writing of the older novels.

In short,,, yes.. I'm very disappointed and bummed out Forgotten Realms is not nearly what it used to be.. I just went to my local Barnes & Nobles, and checked out the D&D novel section. All I ever see anymore is R.A Salvatore, Ed Greenwood, Paul Kemp, and Erin Evans books.. That's it... It's so sad and depressing...

The first epic fantasy books I bought was the Chronicles series, Legends Series,, then the Douglas Niles Moonshae Trilogy.. I bought these books all in one day I believe back in 1998 at my local Waldenbooks...

Back then, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, and Ravenloft were the most popular settings..

I remember until about 2009, so many novels were coming out each year. All my favorite writers were happily writing for their favorite campaign setting, and things were good..

For 10 years, I'd always have a variety of novels to check out. Hell, I'd make up lists of the ones I wanted to get and literally freaking rate them from top priority to least priority, lol.. We had so much more Forgotten Realms novels to choose from.

I'm kind of a moody reader.. What I mean is, one day I may be in the mood to read a book about assassins, rogues, betrayal, etc.. The next day my mood may change and crave a novel revolving around mages.. The next day I may want to pick up that priest of Bane out to conquer Faerun novel, etc etc etc... But nowadays it's just the latest Drizzt novel,,, Erin Evans,, and Ed Greenwood novels... I know Denning finally came out with a cpl novels the ladt few years. But,, thats it... It's pathetic to avid readers like us..

Anyway, ever since 2009, or maybe a bit earlier, the release of novels have slowed considerably..... THIS IS MY COMPLAINT... This is why I stated in another forum that WOTC has damaged and destroyed D&D altogether,,, for me anyway... Yes,, I still buy every R.A Salvatore book, I'm in the process of reading Erin Evans awesome tiefling Brimstone Angels series, still not done with Paul Kemps Cale series, or Richard Byars Haunted Lands and haven't started Brotherhood of the Griffin yet, etc..

One reason why is bc if I zip through those series, I'll be waiting too long for another book I may or may not have the motivation to read,, simply bc there are too few of a variety to choose from now....

Which now brings me to the point and conclusion of this long reply...

I feel WOTC cater to the younger generation now. Most of the younger battle net FPS/MMOG Rollercoaster hybrid fans don't really enjoy or appreciate epic medieval fantasy the way old school ppl do... It seems more of those who enjoyed D&D novels up until mid 2000's have left to pursue other things, and passed the torch so to speak to the next generation... D&D went from a sandbox to a quick Rollercoaster ride..... This is why I believe WOTC will only allow certain high priced, but very popular individuals to continue writing Forgotten Realms Novels. And completely cut out other individuals,, due to seeng that this generation of kids playing their new and revised D&D line are not avid book readers at all...

The game has changed,,,, and with it,,,, so has the fans...

Which is disappointing...
Go to Top of Page

ywhtptgtfo
Seeker

89 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  05:53:27  Show Profile  Visit ywhtptgtfo's Homepage Send ywhtptgtfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel the recent books are just fillers to advance the plot.

The earlier books usually have somethings to offer, be it making a philosophical point (e.g. the Simbul's Gift on seizing opportunities) or having its characters learning some big lessons (e.g. Crucible where Mystra learned to respect other people's choices).
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  16:23:30  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my local B&N, practically all there is as far as FR goes is different editions of Drizzt novels. They will have the new releases (just bought Death Masks a couple weeks ago and finished it), but the selection is pretty sad. I will buy the older stuff online. There is a great used bookstore here, but it is kind of far, and I do a lot of online shopping, anyway.

But I agree. The lack of novels is really depressing. I think however that even the newer, younger players would be interested in the novels. It's the type of crowd, after all. And the newer generation should be able to read the older stuff. I was introduced to the Realms in high school in 2005. I feel there is still a good market for the novels, if WotC or Hasbro or whoever would realize that.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Cyric78
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  18:55:55  Show Profile Send Cyric78 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

In my local B&N, practically all there is as far as FR goes is different editions of Drizzt novels. They will have the new releases (just bought Death Masks a couple weeks ago and finished it), but the selection is pretty sad. I will buy the older stuff online. There is a great used bookstore here, but it is kind of far, and I do a lot of online shopping, anyway.

But I agree. The lack of novels is really depressing. I think however that even the newer, younger players would be interested in the novels. It's the type of crowd, after all. And the newer generation should be able to read the older stuff. I was introduced to the Realms in high school in 2005. I feel there is still a good market for the novels, if WotC or Hasbro or whoever would realize that.

I was introduced to FR by my cousin while in high school back in 1998. The TV series Sinbad, Beastmaster, Hercules, and Xena were pretty big back then. We both watched Hercules and Xena regularly, and he'd explain about certain creatures found on the shows were actually in "D&D" which he had played for 5 years up to that point... Keep in mind, I was one of those ppl who believed only weird socially awkward ppl played D&D.. So, being an athletic guy with lots of friends,, had an image to protect,, and who only dated bimbo cheerleaders at that time, I kinda didn't want anything to do with D&D,, lol.. But, one day that all changed..

I'll never forget this. I watched an episode of the Heath Ledger series called, Roar, and this particular episode revolved around a Druid... I instantly became fascinated with the mythology of Druids based on the episode I saw..

So, I called my cousin regarding the latest episode, and began asking questions about Druids. He told me all about the class according to D&D,, and I just became even more fascinated.. Finally, he said this. "I know you hate reading books, but maybe it's because you haven't found the right book to read. There is a trilogy set in the Forgotten Realms D&D setting I think you would like. It's called, The Moonshae Trilogy.. I'm on the 3rd book now, and it's pretty good."

So my mom drove us to the mall that weekend. And we went to Waldenbooks..
When I arrived to the fantasy book section, I was instantly amazed at the selection of books they had, which ranged from Dragonlance, FR, Ravenloft, Birthright, Greyhawk, Mystara, etc.

I literally blocked all sounds out at that moment, for what seemed like hours.. I started picking up random books, enjoying the awesome covers, and then read the back of the books. My cuz instantly found the Moonshae trilogy, and started speaking, but I ignored him, for the sights before me were the only thing these eyes were interested in, lol.. It was as if a sorceress casted an enticing, charm, and Lull spell on me at that moment, haha.. The feeling was,,, something magical..

Anyway, without boring anyone further with these details,, I ended up buying all 3 books, among others with the grass mowing money I made so far that summer..

I was 15 years old at the time. I'm 32 now. What got me sucked in was current mythological fantasy tv shows, and the amount of novels already released over multiple settings..

I look at what's popular for kids today to get sucked into D&D.. And do u know what I see? WoW, Game of Thrones, and Neverwinter.. WOTC feel the majority of kids who play the MMORPGS, will most likely be interested in D&D game products, and not the novels.. So, they focused on the game products moreso than the novels, simply bc it's safer to them..

I feel if Forgotten Realms novel selection has been reduced to R.A.S, Greenwood, and Evans,, with Denning thrown in once in a while, then WOTC should sell off the d&d novel rights to someone else who actually care about releasing new stories and creating new characters for many people to enjoy..

My apologies for such a long reply.. I'm at work, bored out of my mind... ;)
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  19:41:26  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose most would be more interested in gaming content (be that video or tabletop), but I also think that those who would be in really interested in the setting would want to read the novels, as well. I feel there is still a good enough market for it.

Ironically, I was also 15 when I was introduced to the Realms. I am almost 27. I miss the days of Waldenbooks/Borders.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  19:43:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ironically, I was also 15 when I was introduced to the Realms. I am almost 27. I miss the days of Waldenbooks/Borders.

Wow same. Though I'm 38 now. Waldenbooks always had such a nice selection of Realms novels.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  22:09:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I was 16 when I discovered the Realms. Maybe a little older, but around there.

Needless to say, this was many moons ago.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jun 2016 22:10:29
Go to Top of Page

ywhtptgtfo
Seeker

89 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  00:34:32  Show Profile  Visit ywhtptgtfo's Homepage Send ywhtptgtfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyric78

quote:

I was introduced to FR by my cousin while in high school back in 1998. The TV series Sinbad, Beastmaster, Hercules, and Xena were pretty big back then. We both watched Hercules and Xena regularly, and he'd explain about certain creatures found on the shows were actually in "D&D" which he had played for 5 years up to that point... Keep in mind, I was one of those ppl who believed only weird socially awkward ppl played D&D.. So, being an athletic guy with lots of friends,, had an image to protect,, and who only dated bimbo cheerleaders at that time, I kinda didn't want anything to do with D&D,, lol.. But, one day that all changed..
I don't know about you, but I've never seen D&D being a nerd-type of thing. By contrast, a lot of cool people played DnD back in the day...

quote:

Anyway, without boring anyone further with these details,, I ended up buying all 3 books, among others with the grass mowing money I made so far that summer..

That's awfully expensive. I still remember 3e FR setting being my first purchase. It was quite a fortune for me.

quote:
I look at what's popular for kids today to get sucked into D&D.. And do u know what I see? WoW, Game of Thrones, and Neverwinter.. WOTC feel the majority of kids who play the MMORPGS, will most likely be interested in D&D game products, and not the novels.. So, they focused on the game products moreso than the novels, simply bc it's safer to them..

Game of Thrones and Harry Potter are both extremely successful genres with strong appeal to younger demograhics.

How WotC's novel franchise differ from these two brands is that it focuses on quantity over quantity. Instead of planning 7 extremely well-written books, it opted to release dozens of half-baked products. Where the novels fall short in plot intricacy, it'd attempt to fill that gap by dumping in a bunch of NPC with super powers and/or ridiculous combination of traits.

quote:
I feel if Forgotten Realms novel selection has been reduced to R.A.S, Greenwood, and Evans,, with Denning thrown in once in a while, then WOTC should sell off the d&d novel rights to someone else who actually care about releasing new stories and creating new characters for many people to enjoy..
I haven't read Evans. I agree Denning is a hit or miss. Greenwood always bores me with his obsession with sexy boys/girls that are surrounded by squadrons of epic level saviours. RAS seems like he's stopped trying given the quality of his last few drow books.

As for WotC selling off the novel rights, it's not going to happen since they still need to own the canonicity of the FR lore settings.

quote:
My apologies for such a long reply.. I'm at work, bored out of my mind... ;)

We FR novel readers are a dying breed. It's good to circlejerk a bit on our mutual distaste.

I wonder what line of work you do that allows you to socialize during core hours? Sys admin? Over here, the most we can do is to steal a glimpse of the web news.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric78
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  03:46:07  Show Profile Send Cyric78 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work at a hospital in the Information Systems Technology dept. I stare at computers all day,,, pretty much.. Then I get to walk around the hospital and fix computers that don't need fixing at all,,, most of the time.. All they need is a simple reboot,,, and then there's the fun "I forgot my password" calls I get from nurses, doctors, etc I have to go in the system and reset..

My job is pretty easy, with lots of downtime.. I don't know how my metabolism keeps me at a respectable 170 pounds, now that im getting a little older,, lol..
Go to Top of Page

Cyric78
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  03:58:40  Show Profile Send Cyric78 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suppose most would be more interested in gaming content (be that video or tabletop), but I also think that those who would be in really interested in the setting would want to read the novels, as well. I feel there is still a good enough market for it.

Waldenbooks and Borders always had a much better selection than B&N. It's why we usually avoided going there, unless there was a new book we wanted, and Borders/Waldenbooks was sold out..

I've spent many years gaming, and most of the ppl I know who played MMO's, usually weren't interested in the novels. They also could care less about the best part of the game,, which to me is the epic story being told.. I'd always read the quests, and try to understand why my character is doing these quests. Whereas others would just zip right through them to gain what they felt was most important,,, EXP and loot.... :/

Today it's worse. The genre has changed, and those who love stories and the journey has been replaced by taxmanian devils who want want want it now now now, and don't even understand what's going on.. But just as long as they went up levels, got to Pwn noobs,,, and get "pat lewts" they don't care...

I honestly despise these kind of gamers.. But, WOTC cater to them and dont care about the true hardcore fantasy novel reading fans that crave new and exciting stories to read...
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  10:20:19  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I'd say the MMO crowd doesn't care about story at all. SWTOR is one of the major MMOs on the North American Market right now, with subscription numbers second only to WoW, and apparently BW's moved to a story heavy expansion cycle because their metrics show story is important.

that said a good video game will definatly reach more people then a novel will. but well emphisis on GOOD. the action hack and slashers aren't going to cut it. if WOTC wants to milk the video game market for D&D, they need to get a sucessful RPG out there.

one idea that I think'd be an instant hit is get an isometic RPG (think Pillars of eternity) and hire Ed Greenwood to write it. that'd proably attract a LOT of attention
Go to Top of Page

ywhtptgtfo
Seeker

89 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  06:42:44  Show Profile  Visit ywhtptgtfo's Homepage Send ywhtptgtfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BrianDavion

I'm not sure I'd say the MMO crowd doesn't care about story at all. SWTOR is one of the major MMOs on the North American Market right now, with subscription numbers second only to WoW, and apparently BW's moved to a story heavy expansion cycle because their metrics show story is important.

that said a good video game will definatly reach more people then a novel will. but well emphisis on GOOD. the action hack and slashers aren't going to cut it. if WOTC wants to milk the video game market for D&D, they need to get a sucessful RPG out there.

one idea that I think'd be an instant hit is get an isometic RPG (think Pillars of eternity) and hire Ed Greenwood to write it. that'd proably attract a LOT of attention

I always find Ed's narrative to be more suited for the teenage steamy romance genre.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric78
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2016 :  04:03:42  Show Profile Send Cyric78 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most core fans of star wars are fans due to the story.... That won't change. D&D has changed immensely in the past 10 years due to fantasy themed mmorpgs like WoW that feature pvp, and cookie cutting to reach the top quicker. The fans of FPS games who weren't fans of epic fantasy are playing current mmorpgs for the wrong reasons. They are hybrid fans, which is what WotC wants to primarily focus on attracting to D&D since 4th edition came out...

Also, I feel WOTC made a HUGE mistake releasing all those standalone novels starting at around 2006 I believe. The Standalone Rogues, Fighters, Priests, Citadels, etc etc etc.. Most were written by no name writers that featured characters for just one book...

Honestly, I don't usually read standalone novels unless the writer has built up a good rep, AND the main characters were featured in a "SUCCESSFULTRILOGY" before the standalone novel...

This also may be the reason WOTC only focuses on 3-4 successful writers at a time to continue writing novels.. Which I feel Is a HUGE mistake...

We need new characters, new stories, new places to explore, and new epic trilogies!

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2016 :  04:09:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I prefer series, I would rather see more standalone novels released than having our choices reduced to three authors with 1-2 books a year by each. The no-name authors have to start somewhere. WotC needs to bring back old authors as well as hire new ones, so the Realms can have the variety again.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 18 Jun 2016 04:11:29
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2016 :  13:38:43  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by Madpig

But thing that I am praying for is Paul to write more on realms.

More Kemp would be great. Hopefully some kind of agreement can be reached between him and WoTC.

Kemp is amazing. He has a good argument for being the best writer FR has ever had, and I say that as someone who thinks the world of RAS and Elaine.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2016 :  13:47:17  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I read a lot of fantasy outside the Realms, myself. But since there are FR books out there I haven't read yet, I figured I might as well read them.

I used to have that attitude... But there were FR books I read that I could barely get through, and others I couldn't stand... So I got out of the habit of reading all of the novels. All of the source material, yes, but not the novels.

There have been a couple of times I've done the routine of reading all the novels for a shared world.... And while each has had books I've loved, there have also been some real stinkers.

Even the Sundering books for the Realms -- I read 5 of them, was underwhelmed by at least a couple of them, and wholly uninspired to read all 6.

I've similarly been unimpressed by some of the other multibook sagas that others have enjoyed, such as the War of the Spider Queen series. I love the Realms, but that series only approached interesting for a brief time around book 4 or 5, and did not linger long in that vicinity. Because of that, I avoided the Lady Penitent series; everything I've heard about the LP books since then makes me think this was a wise idea.

I don't know how much of a stickler you are for adhering to previous lore. The Lady Penitent books are great for reading once through, but there are some definite WTF? moments. What always really frustrates me is that they knew which direction they were going with Lolth and the drow.

Between War of the Spider Queen and Lady Penitent, they had 9 books to kill off all the drow gods, make Lolth a greater deity, and destroy Ched Nasad. But they paced the story very poorly, so that they spent time in WOTSQ on useless subplots and then rushed to kill several gods within the last 3 books.

And what REALLY annoyed me is that House of Serpents is one of my favorite FR trilogies. Lisa Smedman did a brilliant job with the yuanti, and I looked forward to reading her version of the drow. But WOTC saddled her with so much to that she couldn't tell a great story. The books are interesting, if you want to try them, but there are some inevitable deus ex machina moments.

Oh, just think of this. We did get 3 amazing things from WOTSQ.

1) Valas Hune (who I really wish RAS would use more often)

2) Pharaun Mizzrym

3( Nimor and the Jaezred Chaulssin
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2016 :  13:50:19  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too bad that 2) was trashed in Empyrean Odyssey, and 3) is to forever be ignored by WotC... :/

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2016 :  14:07:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

I don't know how much of a stickler you are for adhering to previous lore. The Lady Penitent books are great for reading once through, but there are some definite WTF? moments. What always really frustrates me is that they knew which direction they were going with Lolth and the drow.

I'm a huge fan of continuity; what's been frustrating to me since 3E came out is the way continuity has just been shoved off to one side, if not blatantly ignored.

Between how much I didn't like the War of the Spider Queen books, and how much I've read about the Lady Penitent books, I can't imagine that I would find reading them to be anything other than a painful slog.

quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

Oh, just think of this. We did get 3 amazing things from WOTSQ.

1) Valas Hune (who I really wish RAS would use more often)

2) Pharaun Mizzrym

3( Nimor and the Jaezred Chaulssin

Pharaun was literally the only drow character from those books that I liked. With the exception of Halisstra, the others were meh, at best -- I actively disliked some of them. And whenever Halisstra had the potential to be interesting, the next author immediately did a 180 on her and made me dislike her again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jun 2016 14:07:45
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2016 :  16:08:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of those characters from WotSQ were interesting ... depending on who was writing them. I'm not a fan of multi-author series because the characters feel so different between books.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2016 :  16:42:17  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree on LP. Some of the characters were great (like Naxil. I adored him for some reason) but as a whole, well, yeah lol. I also agree on 1, 2, and 3. Phaeraun got the short end of the stick twice, Valas is occasionally mentioned in RAS novels, ando Chaulissn hasn't been talked about at all.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric78
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2016 :  07:07:04  Show Profile Send Cyric78 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While I prefer series, I would rather see more standalone novels released than having our choices reduced to three authors with 1-2 books a year by each. The no-name authors have to start somewhere. WotC needs to bring back old authors as well as hire new ones, so the Realms can have the variety again.

I agree. I'd rather see more standalone novels than what we've been getting lately. More novels at least gives us a variety to choose from.

We're definitely on the same page, lol.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2016 :  18:37:36  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

What most disappoints me about the 5e novels so far is that since the Sundering series, only three authors have had new novels published. I'm not saying those authors are bad, but I dearly miss the diversity of authors that came with a much greater number of novels being published per year. I understand why WotC wants to keep Salvatore writing two novels a year, but I do wish that WotC would rotate Greenwood and Evans with other authors like Erik Scott de Bie, Paul Kemp, Elaine Cunningham, Richard Lee Byers, Richard Baker, etc.

(Speaking of novels, does anyone know if Troy Denning's Dagger of Souls is still coming out in early September?)

Amazon just sent me a notification that Dagger of Souls has been cancelled. Which is a major bummer.

I personally love multi-author series like WotSQ and the Sundering, because they are a great way to get to know new authors. I understand that they have to go with what they feel will sell best, but I don't think putting out at least one new book from a different author each year is too much to ask for; they might find their next big hit that way. Besides Erin, Ed, and Bob, the authors I'd most like to see are:

James Lowder (I loved his portrayal of Cyric and the rest of the cast of Prince of Lies)

Paul Kemp (he was the first author to really make Netheril come to life)

Troy Denning (One of the best at connecting epic-level stories with human-level characters.)

Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak (Alias, Giogi, Finder, Joel; I love their characters and the sense of humor and adventure they impart to their stories, including the underrated Forgotten Realms comics)

Steven Schend (I know the changes in Blackstaff were controversial, but I thought it was really well-researched and crafted a powerful narrative)

Elaine Cunningham (the characters from Songs & Swords are her hallmark, but she's also one of the few people outside of RAS who seems at home writing the drow as multi-dimensional characters, in her Liriel Baenre series)

Richard Lee Byers (creator of Pharaun Mizzrym, one of my favorite drow characters).

Lisa Smedman (she had the difficult task of reconciling a lot of the 4e changes in her Lady Penitent series, but I admire her ability to pull it together into a suspenseful story)

Thomas Reid (the Empyrean Odyssey gave us a compelling view into the higher planes which we haven't gotten too often in the novels. I also saw someone blaming him for Pharaun's demise, but Pharaun was actually killed off in Resurrection, the final book of WotSQ, written by Paul Kemp. Thomas Reid wanted to bring him back, but it was vetoed by the editors. so he had to settle for only the temporary resurrection)

Erik Scott De Bie (this is one author I haven't actually read yet, but I've heard so many good things about him that if WotC starts releasing his books in print rather than ebook, I will surely pick them up)

Edited by - CylverSaber on 19 Jun 2016 18:39:25
Go to Top of Page

ywhtptgtfo
Seeker

89 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2016 :  05:03:05  Show Profile  Visit ywhtptgtfo's Homepage Send ywhtptgtfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Empyrean Odyssey did turn an amazing Alu Fiend character into just another touchy-feely woman. Not the best use of a good character nor a good choice of narrative for the theme of redemption.

I also did not like the ridiculous portrayal of Tyr's followers. Given that they are LG celestials who are smarter than the average human, I would expect a bit more rational behaviour from them. Yes, the story has defined milestones and ending that are out of control of the author but that level of bigotry is just not needed.

Edited by - ywhtptgtfo on 20 Jun 2016 05:11:42
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2016 :  15:40:56  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed Empryean Odyssey. I really liked Tauren. What I did -not- like was the end, especially for Phaeraun. I mean, really?

Go to Top of Page

ywhtptgtfo
Seeker

89 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2016 :  22:07:34  Show Profile  Visit ywhtptgtfo's Homepage Send ywhtptgtfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phaeraun is okay. The author did mention that the WotC leadership (e.g. a bunch of bad bureaucrats) refused to resurrect him so that's a compromise.

Tauren is fine but his peers are not.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2016 :  03:24:47  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phaeraun got a crappy ending. I wouldn't really call it a comprise. There was little point to his resurrection if they were just going to off him again. I adored Phaeraun, and I hate what they did to him.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000