Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Are you disappointed with the novels so far?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  04:37:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine? thought it happened in the Lady Penitant books...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  05:33:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Elaine? thought it happened in the Lady Penitant books...

Nope. The change to 3E got rid of all the issues of drow magic items not working on the surface. Elaine had Liriel go on her quest with the Windwalker Amulet so that Liriel could retain her drow abilities on the surface -- and it was more powerful than Liriel expected.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  10:02:12  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he meant the farzress no longer being considered a ''natural'' radiation, and becoming something that the elves created to maked the drow addcited to it (literally) and trap them underground.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  10:47:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I think he meant the farzress no longer being considered a ''natural'' radiation, and becoming something that the elves created to maked the drow addcited to it (literally) and trap them underground.

Ha, who came up with that idea.
Might steal the general premise though and turn it on its head to explain where faerzress came from and why its patchy and why it augments creatures and makes them more aggressive.
Something to think on.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  12:38:21  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes - and it was what caused the drow to live underground. And then they high magiced that away so now there is nothing keeping them down there but stupidity :P
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  13:14:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes - and it was what caused the drow to live underground. And then they high magiced that away so now there is nothing keeping them down there but stupidity :P

They high magic-ed it away only for the followers of Eilistraee (as far as I understand). Then they proceeded to absolutely ignore it (and everything that happened or was revealed in those books) anyway, like it never happened or existed. Which is for the better, as far as I'm concerned (unless they actually decided to fix the other random BS that they decided to attach to the drow and their gods).

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Jun 2016 13:15:02
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  21:40:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes the books about Drownip. LOL

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  22:26:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was not aware of the addiction to faerzress... I now have another reason to avoid that trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  22:29:12  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not like the series has any relevance now, anyway. Everything in those books has basically been retconned (for all practical purposes), since the results have been reverted, and the events have been *fully* ignored by WotC.

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Jun 2016 22:29:28
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  07:27:01  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

And yet another scroll from Shadowsoul to complain and bash the current Realms.

It's justified IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  07:29:10  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

A few years back folks were complaining about too many novels, and how they were ruining the Realms with the weekly RSE. Now WotC isn't producing the volume of books, and it's not enough. Just goes to show, that WotC can't keep everyone happy.

I don't ever remember anyone ever complaining about a dearth of novels. More like they complained about the RSE's, which considering WoTC's reaction may have been a mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  15:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What most disappoints me about the 5e novels so far is that since the Sundering series, only three authors have had new novels published. I'm not saying those authors are bad, but I dearly miss the diversity of authors that came with a much greater number of novels being published per year. I understand why WotC wants to keep Salvatore writing two novels a year, but I do wish that WotC would rotate Greenwood and Evans with other authors like Erik Scott de Bie, Paul Kemp, Elaine Cunningham, Richard Lee Byers, Richard Baker, etc.

(Speaking of novels, does anyone know if Troy Denning's Dagger of Souls is still coming out in early September?)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2016 :  19:23:45  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

[quote]Originally posted by Brimstone

I don't ever remember anyone ever complaining about a dearth of novels. More like they complained about the RSE's, which considering WoTC's reaction may have been a mistake.

Same.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2016 :  05:38:27  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I'd like to see WOTC do, if publishing new novels aren't something they wanna dedicate to, get a website going to publish short and serial forgotten realms fiction online, I bet there's be a LOT of intreast both from fans and authors for that. I know for my part some of my favorite FR stories are short stories
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2016 :  14:19:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BrianDavion

One thing I'd like to see WOTC do, if publishing new novels aren't something they wanna dedicate to, get a website going to publish short and serial forgotten realms fiction online, I bet there's be a LOT of intreast both from fans and authors for that. I know for my part some of my favorite FR stories are short stories

That would be fun to see so long as they don't overcharge. Some of the prices on the Realms ebook novellas are bizarre.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  18:36:33  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the pricing for pretty much all their books is bizarre. Books that would have cost 20-15 dollars in TSR days are now 50... is it surprising to anyone that they can't sell nearly as many with that price structure? They completely eliminate the young market, who would much rather dedicate their 50 dollars to the latest video game release than on any book.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  21:00:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the pricing for pretty much all their books is bizarre. Books that would have cost 20-15 dollars in TSR days are now 50... is it surprising to anyone that they can't sell nearly as many with that price structure? They completely eliminate the young market, who would much rather dedicate their 50 dollars to the latest video game release than on any book.

In their defense... TSR lost money on boxed sets and such at $20, and the current prices aren't too much higher than what other game companies are asking.

Today's $20 game books are softcover and 100 pages or so.

Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  21:07:05  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

That would be fun to see so long as they don't overcharge. Some of the prices on the Realms ebook novellas are bizarre.

proably has to do with their dead tree prices. if a books only avaliable in hard cover they'll charge hard cover price for it
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2016 :  16:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it's about variety. I know plenty of people are down on the current novels (and for some, it's simply the "in" thing to do as well), but I think a main contributor is that we are only getting books from 3 (4?) authors now.

I like Erin Evans series, and have always loved Salvatore and Greenwood's books (ups and downs included), but when that's the only thing on your dinner plate year after year, you miss some of the rest of the voices. It doesn't lessen my enjoyment of their books in the slightest, but the in between time I'm not as excited for a new novel because it's all the same routine. I need a little flavor with my meat and potatoes. If we had some Cunningham, some Kemp, some Baker, some Schend...my enjoyment overall of the Realms novels would increase because I'd have more excitement looking forward to more stories being told.

I will say I'm about 100 pages into Death Masks and really enjoying it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2016 :  17:12:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, would love to see some more variety among authors.

I miss the days when every novel -- or at least the majority of them -- was introducing new characters and taking us to new corners of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2016 :  20:58:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

Got a copy today.

Will start reading it tonight when I get home from work...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2016 :  22:54:21  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I miss the days when every novel -- or at least the majority of them -- was introducing new characters and taking us to new corners of the Realms.

me too but I can understand why WOTC wants to focus their novels on eistablished characters. RA Salvatore writes a novel about Drizzt, WOTC knows it'll sell, and Sell roughly X number of copies. but a novel about someone unknown... who can tell? it's why I kinda like the ideal of a online serial fiction site, maintinace could be reasonably cheap and it'd allow WOTC to publish greater varity for cheaper.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2016 :  23:15:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand them playing it safe... But every single novel character WotC and TSR have published, from the most popular to the most obscure, was new once.

They shouldn't be so risk-averse that they refuse to give us anything at all that's new. We'll never have another breakout new character, at this rate.

Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  08:42:58  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ohh I agree, WOTC IMHO needs to do something with the Realms, new characters could allow them to explore new areas etc. not only do they need break out characters, but they need new break out writers. they can't rely on the same 2 or 3 authors exclusivly.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  14:53:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The onlu thing WoTC should do is bow out and let someone else takr over stewardship (even if its by renting out the entire novel and rpg line). Every action they take is divisive of the fans and results in more customers leaving. Time to give someone else a try (which they should have done during 4e) before it becomes terminal.

But ive been having a bad day so maybe i will feel differently tomorrow

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  16:09:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The better option would be for someone to realize WotC is a gaming company and let them act like it. From what I've seen and from unsubstantiated rumor, it seems that Hasbro doesn't understand that game companies and toy companies are not the same, and is trying to force WotC's square peg into a round hole.

It seems to me that someone higher up doesn't seem to realize that game companies have to keep producing new content in order to sell products.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  17:05:42  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

Got a copy today.

Will start reading it tonight when I get home from work...

Started it too.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  17:39:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They could make a hundred adventures and i still wouldnt buy one because the quality is middling and its usefulness to me even less

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  21:27:00  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The better option would be for someone to realize WotC is a gaming company and let them act like it. From what I've seen and from unsubstantiated rumor, it seems that Hasbro doesn't understand that game companies and toy companies are not the same, and is trying to force WotC's square peg into a round hole.

It seems to me that someone higher up doesn't seem to realize that game companies have to keep producing new content in order to sell products.

yeah apparently WOTC's writers have been trying to explain this one ot Hasbro since 3rd edition apparently.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2016 :  22:03:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yup. And then it ended with inviting a bunch of authors not giving a fig about the setting, and...

quote:

me too but I can understand why WOTC wants to focus their novels on eistablished characters. RA Salvatore writes a novel about Drizzt, WOTC knows it'll sell

For a while it was the other way around (Bzzt is one of obvious exceptions). It would probably be better to think in terms of the series.
In which case it's not as much "WOTC wants to focus", as "the stream dried up until all that's left are known, reliable cash cows"?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000