Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Are you disappointed with the novels so far?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2016 :  00:03:29  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Overall.

Are you disappointed with the novels we've gotten so far? The past two years or more have just been a big disappointment in my opinion.

I would like to see a return of the writing of the older novels.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2016 :  01:58:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am disappointed in the lack of novels. I miss when there were more novels released a year, by more authors. While I didn't like 4e, at least there were more novels being written, and of course, the older, pre-Spellplague era of novels. There were many good authors that I miss. I've actually been going back and reading some of the "classics" just to get my FR fix.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2016 :  07:34:51  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That era is dead never to return. I don't want to disparage Ed, Rob, or Erin since all of them are talented storytellers. But the Realms greatest strength was always it's diverse novel line.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2016 :  14:29:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The quality of the novels (as a whole) has been lacking for a while now. Sadly, I don't think that will change any time soon.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2016 :  14:58:24  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would love some novels set in the pre-ToT era. I was hoping with 5edition's lack of focus on the timeline but more about the whole realms we could get away with novels having to be set in the late 1400s. While I didn't LOVE the Knights of series it was awesome that they were set in the 1340-50s pre-ToT. My kingdom for more novels set in that era.

I can't speak to the quality of the latest novels because until the Simbul comes back I'm not really interested in Ed's novels (I'm still bitter lol) and Drizzt is not my thing anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  00:09:49  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And yet another scroll from Shadowsoul to complain and bash the current Realms.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  03:06:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering the lack of novels and the fact that many have expressed disappointment with that lack, I don't think it's fair to dismiss this as a pointless bash.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  05:43:50  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am such a lucky person to have many many many books to read. I have read around 50-60 realms novels, so plenty to go.

But thing that I am praying for is Paul to write more on realms. Also I'd like more books on Aoth and the company.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  17:25:49  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the quality is fine, and I'm glad we have Erin Evans now, it's the quantity that I don't like.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  18:30:30  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. There have been good stories, there are just so few of them now.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  18:39:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madpig

But thing that I am praying for is Paul to write more on realms.

More Kemp would be great. Hopefully some kind of agreement can be reached between him and WoTC.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  07:20:52  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

And yet another scroll from Shadowsoul to complain and bash the current Realms.

Awwwwwwww. Did your little comment not incite the reaction in others you were looking for?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  13:13:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are not playing that game. Any more posts in that direction will be removed.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  15:55:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few years back folks were complaining about too many novels, and how they were ruining the Realms with the weekly RSE. Now WotC isn't producing the volume of books, and it's not enough. Just goes to show, that WotC can't keep everyone happy.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  15:57:12  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

A few years back folks were complaining about too many novels, and how they were ruining the Realms with the weekly RSE. Now WotC isn't producing the volume of books, and it's not enough. Just goes to show, that WotC can't keep everyone happy.

Or, you know, they could write novels that aren't RSEs and that don't kill gods and/or blow up the moon?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  16:04:09  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Or, you know, they could write novels that aren't RSEs and that don't kill gods and/or blow up the moon?

THIS!

I loved those books that were about low to mid level adventurers that did a great job at giving us a bit of lore.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  16:06:11  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The problem that Wizards continues to have is the feast to famine mentality. They can never seem to find the happy medium.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  17:54:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall anyone complaining about too many novels -- just the "RSE of the Week!" routine.

We've had a lot of really good stories -- even some involving gods, like Tymora's Luck and Finder's Bane -- that did not involve blowing up the moon or any other kind of RSE.

The Tuigan Invasion isn't usually listed as an RSE -- but it involved a huge swath of the Realms and a multinational response from the nations of the Heartlands. RSE or not, it's still a big event with a lot of impact -- but it didn't involve massive spellduels, divine conflicts, ancient evils that have convenient popped back up, or anything like that. In short, it lacks the "moar BOOM!" we've seen from so much else.

Even big stories don't have to blow up everything.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  19:21:28  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also like to see more from P.K. I so far am not much of an Evans fan.

A far as the quantity goes... I'm hoping they ramp it up slowly. Kind of go with the output level of the early 90s and build new dedicated readers again.

I could not agree more with the idea of stories about low level characters set in a shared setting. The Harpers series remains my favorite series of Realms novels. That, in my mind, was the essence of the entire idea of the realms, almost like each novel was an adventure of a PC set somewhere.

I would also love a project where they make novels along the lines of Cormyr: A Novel, that work through a general history of places in the realms moving toward a goal in the story. I think the possibilities there would be endless - and it would even allow for RSE and huge wars and the like, just set in the past to build up to present rather than through it out the window.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  19:40:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I've been filling in the low output by re-reading realms novels I have not read in years. Discovering a lot I had long since forgotten :)
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  21:08:14  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been doing something similar, though it isn't so much re-reading as reding "classics" I didn't know were out there

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  21:16:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been dealing with low output by reading other stuff.

I re-read stories I enjoy. I'm not going to re-read a Realms novel unless it's one I particularly enjoyed. And then it depends largely on my mood and what else I've been reading... I've just not felt like reading any Realms novels, of late.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  23:05:30  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read a lot of fantasy outside the Realms, myself. But since there are FR books out there I haven't read yet, I figured I might as well read them.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  23:38:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I read a lot of fantasy outside the Realms, myself. But since there are FR books out there I haven't read yet, I figured I might as well read them.

I used to have that attitude... But there were FR books I read that I could barely get through, and others I couldn't stand... So I got out of the habit of reading all of the novels. All of the source material, yes, but not the novels.

There have been a couple of times I've done the routine of reading all the novels for a shared world.... And while each has had books I've loved, there have also been some real stinkers.

Even the Sundering books for the Realms -- I read 5 of them, was underwhelmed by at least a couple of them, and wholly uninspired to read all 6.

I've similarly been unimpressed by some of the other multibook sagas that others have enjoyed, such as the War of the Spider Queen series. I love the Realms, but that series only approached interesting for a brief time around book 4 or 5, and did not linger long in that vicinity. Because of that, I avoided the Lady Penitent series; everything I've heard about the LP books since then makes me think this was a wise idea.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Jun 2016 23:40:09
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  00:19:59  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt I will read all the Realms books. I'm reading the older ones that sound good, or that I feel are important for my reporitoire.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  00:34:31  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both those series could have used some work, but were not altogether terrible. That said, I think it would be wise for them to stop making series that maintain the story line and characters but change authors. All the biggest problems I had were with inconsistencies and fluctuations in character voice and personality. It was evident someone was there trying to even it out, but it failed in my opinion.

I also really disliked how most of the books released in that time period were specifically designed to change something intrinsic about the realms... Underdark radiation? presto chango. High Magic? Anyone can do it with a little luck, says I... The Dark Disaster - not so disastrous if you magic up some survivors 13 millennia later and only have to sacrifice one of the best NPC characters of the franchise to do it! (seriously - I'll never get over that nonsense :P)... etc.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  00:43:30  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that LP could have worked with just some adjustments. If I knew Eilistraee or Vhaeraun only from those books, I would never like them. They just offered a lame portrayal of those deities IMO, and especially of E, entirely missing her point.

They throw around this concept of ''redemption'', that is so hideously similar to our dark ages concept of ''redemption'', that has the drow guilty no matter what (even those who weren't former Lolthite), and needing to be redeemed for being what they are. When in truth Eilistraee stands for acceptance, and embracing and enjoying all that is beautiful in life, and helping others enjoy it too. She wants the drow to flourish again, not to be held guilty/tainted/what you have, and in need to ''atone''.

The whole concept behind it is simply ugly and ruins the character. It's also funny that ''redemption'' is a word that never appears in her lore, except in those books.

I also agree with you over the rest of the changes, I just wish they would bring Khelben back...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Jun 2016 00:56:10
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  01:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Masked Mage: You asked for no more multi-author series. I'm pretty sure WotC has granted your wish.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  03:51:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be clear, I think multi author series that are not all the same characters/story line are good. As I mentioned earlier the Harpers series is my favorite. I also enjoyed parts of the wizards/the priests/the fighters series which were all stand alone but had a common theme.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  04:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Masked Mage: Sadly, I don't think you'll get any more of the kind you like, either.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  04:29:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I also really disliked how most of the books released in that time period were specifically designed to change something intrinsic about the realms... Underdark radiation? presto chango.

Actually, the change to how Underdark radiation worked came first, and it was without explanation. The explanation Elaine gave us was purely her creation, and it was her taking advantage of the change to make a story.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000