Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Really struggling to get through Archmage.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  06:44:23  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone.

I must say I'm really struggling to get through this book. To me it seems like Salvatore has run out of ideas so he's decided to bring the old gang back and basically do a rewrite of his earlier books. We also have Bruenor taking back yet another dwarven kingdom and don't get me started on Gromph. I don't know, maybe the older I get the more I notice bad writing.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

CTrunks
Acolyte

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  07:10:11  Show Profile Send CTrunks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing I find most interesting about Archmage is the way that the Companions have split up. On one side, you've got Bruenor and Catti-Brie; they've both come back and lived a second life, but are quick to slip back into their familiar roles and continue where they left off before they died. On the other side, you've got Regis and Wulfgar, who have changed significantly over the course of their second lives, and aren't willing to go back to who they were before.

Unfortunately, the latter group, which seems much more interesting (seriously, I liked the chapters involving Spider the most in The Companions), isn't the group we're following. Bruenor's alright, but it feels like there's a ton of repetition in what he does (I think he draws upon the sudden surge of power from the Dwarf Gods at least once a fight), and Catti-Brie has been... well, she's been bland and borderline broken since Night of the Hunter, and they keep piling more stuff on top of it.

With that said, it is not the greatest sign that we have Bruenor rescuing a forgotten dwarven kingdom from the forces of darkness for a second time. It's probably a good thing that the Duergar got wiped out, or else they'd be the ones who held it. And Gromph... I think it's the way that Bob writes him, but he feels very similar to Kimmurel; incredibly smart, incredibly powerful, not very emotional, and dry as a fart. At least when he was being written during WotSQ, he was... entertaining.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  13:32:22  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CTrunks

The thing I find most interesting about Archmage is the way that the Companions have split up. On one side, you've got Bruenor and Catti-Brie; they've both come back and lived a second life, but are quick to slip back into their familiar roles and continue where they left off before they died. On the other side, you've got Regis and Wulfgar, who have changed significantly over the course of their second lives, and aren't willing to go back to who they were before.

Unfortunately, the latter group, which seems much more interesting (seriously, I liked the chapters involving Spider the most in The Companions), isn't the group we're following. Bruenor's alright, but it feels like there's a ton of repetition in what he does (I think he draws upon the sudden surge of power from the Dwarf Gods at least once a fight), and Catti-Brie has been... well, she's been bland and borderline broken since Night of the Hunter, and they keep piling more stuff on top of it.

With that said, it is not the greatest sign that we have Bruenor rescuing a forgotten dwarven kingdom from the forces of darkness for a second time. It's probably a good thing that the Duergar got wiped out, or else they'd be the ones who held it. And Gromph... I think it's the way that Bob writes him, but he feels very similar to Kimmurel; incredibly smart, incredibly powerful, not very emotional, and dry as a fart. At least when he was being written during WotSQ, he was... entertaining.

Oh yeah! Forgot about Catti-brie who tries out a teleport, gets a magic staff, gets a gem from Kipper who just happens to have it laying in his desk, and BAM! Catti-Brie now has a nice shiny Staff of the Magi hybrid.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  23:36:01  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed Salvatore described the Kobolds the way they used to be. He described their faces as "rat like".

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2016 :  03:26:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

Hello everyone.

I must say I'm really struggling to get through this book. To me it seems like Salvatore has run out of ideas so he's decided to bring the old gang back and basically do a rewrite of his earlier books. We also have Bruenor taking back yet another dwarven kingdom and don't get me started on Gromph. I don't know, maybe the older I get the more I notice bad writing.

Salvatore ran out of new ideas long ago.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000