Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Does Anyone Remember?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2016 :  20:28:35  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone remember a half-dwarf/mul from Dark Sun making a crossover to the Realms in 2e? I know I'm not crazy but I'm trying to find it and failing miserably.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2016 :  20:39:23  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never mind I found it. Skitt (p.123 Cloak and Dagger) was transported to Faerun through a summoning that went wild. Doesn't actually say he's from Athas though his write up gives decent evidence that he's from there.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2016 :  23:02:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also several "canon" characters who've transitioned from Athas to the Demiplane of Dread (Ravenloft setting), a few of these subsequently moved to (or through) the Planescape setting, a few to (or through) the Spelljammer setting - so it's quite possible for them to have migrated to Toril or Realmspace (Forgotten Realms setting). Any powerful (level 30+) wizard or psionicist can conceivably access the planes from Athas, Druids can conceivably do so at lower levels. There's also a unique planar gate artifact on Athas which could easily allow any Athasian to reach the Realms - indeed, the module in which it is featured states that it has been used extensively by the Sorceror-King Dregoth to explore other worlds and places, it even specifically states that he has visited and studied Faerun.

I recall a mul, several kreen, a small clan of half-giants, and even some half-draconian "dray" originating in Darksun and being featured in the Realms. But sorry, I cannot recall their names, or which canon references involved them, or which mechanism they used to reach the Realms.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  01:52:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Never mind I found it. Skitt (p.123 Cloak and Dagger) was transported to Faerun through a summoning that went wild. Doesn't actually say he's from Athas though his write up gives decent evidence that he's from there.

The appearance does match a mul, but half-dwarves do exist elsewhere, including in the Realms. I'm a little skeptical, myself, that a wild surge would be caused by an "itinerant wizard" on Athas. I'm not a Dark Sun expert, but what I do know makes both wild surges and itinerant wizards seem an unlikely prospect for Athas.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  01:54:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

There's also several "canon" characters who've transitioned from Athas to the Demiplane of Dread (Ravenloft setting), a few of these subsequently moved to (or through) the Planescape setting, a few to (or through) the Spelljammer setting - so it's quite possible for them to have migrated to Toril or Realmspace (Forgotten Realms setting). Any powerful (level 30+) wizard or psionicist can conceivably access the planes from Athas, Druids can conceivably do so at lower levels. There's also a unique planar gate artifact on Athas which could easily allow any Athasian to reach the Realms - indeed, the module in which it is featured states that it has been used extensively by the Sorceror-King Dregoth to explore other worlds and places, it even specifically states that he has visited and studied Faerun.

I recall a mul, several kreen, a small clan of half-giants, and even some half-draconian "dray" originating in Darksun and being featured in the Realms. But sorry, I cannot recall their names, or which canon references involved them, or which mechanism they used to reach the Realms.

Though it's only a passing reference in Code of the Harpers, there is a Nehwon ghoul in the Realms, too.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  10:28:26  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The appearance does match a mul, but half-dwarves do exist elsewhere, including in the Realms. I'm a little skeptical, myself, that a wild surge would be caused by an "itinerant wizard" on Athas. I'm not a Dark Sun expert, but what I do know makes both wild surges and itinerant wizards seem an unlikely prospect for Athas.

It could be a wild surge in the spell of a Faerünian summoner while the half-dwarf in question was already plane-walking by other means.
From Athas the likely destinations are either Elemental Planes (in which case he could be under a protective spell from an elemental priest at the moment, which may contribute to the confusion) or Astral (perhaps not normally, but there was some gate the githyanki tried to exploit and attracted to their operation a bit more of unfriendly attention than they could handle).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  15:43:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

It could be a wild surge in the spell of a Faerünian summoner while the half-dwarf in question was already plane-walking by other means.
From Athas the likely destinations are either Elemental Planes (in which case he could be under a protective spell from an elemental priest at the moment, which may contribute to the confusion) or Astral (perhaps not normally, but there was some gate the githyanki tried to exploit and attracted to their operation a bit more of unfriendly attention than they could handle).

Possible... But I'm still inclined to go for the simpler, non-Athasian explanation.

I have a version of Occam's Razor that I call the Madcoil Test: something may be a really cool concept, but if the way you explain it is too farfetched/unlikely, it doesn't work.

For those not familiar with Madcoil, he was a nastybad that popped up in the Elfquest series. He was an intelligent, telepathic, evil half-panther, half-snake. Front half panther, with the forelimbs, head, and claws, back half a big snake.

His origin was that centuries before, an elf in the forest tried to use magic to start a fire. It didn't work, but the magic remained, laying dormant at that spot. Much, much later, a panther and a snake are for never-explained reasons fighting each other, with the snake wrapped around the panther. They roll into the spot where this magic lay dormant... and which was right at that moment struck by lightning. The end result was the two critters were fused into one, larger than either and granted abilities previously held by neither.

I like the idea of a snake/panther hybrid. That explanation? It is so goofy that the concept of the critter is forever tainted for me.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  17:11:22  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall running across other mul examples in the Realms. I thought that was essentially an Athas thing. IMO any "wild surge" on Athas would be related to psionics, not arcane magic. There is no Weave on Athas and arcane magic is derived directly from the life force of living creatures, though I suppose one of the Sorcerer Kings could produce a "surge" by drawing from an entire city's worth of life force.

Seems very far fetched. However "wild" psionic phenomena of all kinds are fairly common on Athas.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  18:06:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I don't recall running across other mul examples in the Realms. I thought that was essentially an Athas thing. IMO any "wild surge" on Athas would be related to psionics, not arcane magic. There is no Weave on Athas and arcane magic is derived directly from the life force of living creatures, though I suppose one of the Sorcerer Kings could produce a "surge" by drawing from an entire city's worth of life force.

Seems very far fetched. However "wild" psionic phenomena of all kinds are fairly common on Athas.

Muls are an Athas-specific variant of half-dwarves. Half-dwarves are Realms canon, though.

From page 6 of Dwarves Deep, penned by Ed himself:

quote:
Humans, gnomes, and halflings are cross-fertile with dwarves. Elminster says elves and dwarves can have issue as well. Common in Ardeep, Eaerlann, and Myth Drannor of old, this is unheard-of today.
Mates who respect dwarven customs and traditions are honored for their courage (in entering a strange society), loyalty (to the customs of dwarves) and aid (in preserving the Folk).
"Half-dwarves" are not a distinct race. Save for their height (a head taller than most dwarves) all offspring of unions between dwarves and other races look and act (and are treated in the rules) as pureblood dwarves. Dwarven halfbreeds always have the stocky build and hirsute appearance of purebloods.
If halfbloods mate with pureblood dwarves, the offspring will be a pureblood. If halfbloods mate with another halfblood or a nondwarf, the offspring will be a halfblood.

We also have at least a couple canon references to elf-dwarf crossbreeds.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 May 2016 18:07:29
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2016 :  00:05:08  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if elf-halfling and drow-halfling crossbreeds exist in the Realms?

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 11 May 2016 00:05:39
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2016 :  00:08:03  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wild magic surge was Torilian (at least that's my interpretation). I know about 'dwelves' and other half-dwarf types but I was looking for that specific reference of an Athasian mul.

@Ayrik: If you can locate the reference to the crossover you mentioned I'd be very interested in it.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2018 :  00:59:30  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Muls are an Athas-specific variant of half-dwarves. Half-dwarves are Realms canon, though.

From page 6 of Dwarves Deep, penned by Ed himself:

quote:
Humans, gnomes, and halflings are cross-fertile with dwarves. Elminster says elves and dwarves can have issue as well. Common in Ardeep, Eaerlann, and Myth Drannor of old, this is unheard-of today.
Mates who respect dwarven customs and traditions are honored for their courage (in entering a strange society), loyalty (to the customs of dwarves) and aid (in preserving the Folk).
"Half-dwarves" are not a distinct race. Save for their height (a head taller than most dwarves) all offspring of unions between dwarves and other races look and act (and are treated in the rules) as pureblood dwarves. Dwarven halfbreeds always have the stocky build and hirsute appearance of purebloods.
If halfbloods mate with pureblood dwarves, the offspring will be a pureblood. If halfbloods mate with another halfblood or a nondwarf, the offspring will be a halfblood.

We also have at least a couple canon references to elf-dwarf crossbreeds.

There a number of dwarf/XX crossbreeds but they are nothing more than regular dwarves in the end.

According to the same book a paragraph after your quote: dwarf blood always runs true. So any offspring from ANY dwarf/xx union are exactly the same as dwarves.

So, no muls, no dwelves, no dwarhalfings or dwnomes :)

all are just considered dwarves
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2018 :  03:18:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwelves are canon.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Interesting, but as I recall, while dwarves CAN interbreed with humans, the offspring tend to be sterile, and are hence called (somewhat derogitorily, I believe) "mules". I think that came from some 3.5 Eberron lore, or some such, but it would stand as "standard" for ALL D&D lore, I think. I do recall there being ONE half-dwarf/elf, and that was Drannor, for whom Myth Drannor was supposedly named, according to the 2nd ed book "Cormanthyr". apperantly, he was the product of the first (and likely ONLY) elf/swarf union.

There's more than that one. There are two named ones that I know of, and references to others.

Of the named ones, one was Isinghar "Feyrune" Ironstar, described as a dwelf runecarver and archmage of Ammarindar, who was one of the secondary casters in the raising of the mythal over Myth Glaurach. This is from the Myth Glaurach article that was part of the Mintiper's Chapbook series.

The other named dwelf was Dlarbraddath. We don't know if that was his actual name; we just know that a section of Myth Drannor was "named for the gardener who laid it out, a being said to have an elven mother and a dwarven father!" (page 19, Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor, Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set). I think it more likely he was named Dlarbradd.

The Myth Glaurach article also notes, in the footnotes, that

quote:
Dwarf-elf crossbreeds, known as "dwelf" in the singular and "dwelves" in the plural, are noted as having been common in the days of Eaerlann in FR11 – Dwarves Deep, p. 6.

Page 6 of Dwarves Deep says:

quote:

and

quote:

There's no notation there about half-dwarves in the Realms being sterile. I think that you're conflating Dark Sun's muls with half-dwarves of the Realms. Muls are sterile, as I recall, and they are also half-dwarves -- but they're also specific to Dark Sun.

We also have this particular bit from Steven Schend, as well:-
quote:
Dwelves....okay, I'll stop myself early before I start doing haiku about stone shelves and dungeon delves....

As stated above (and like half-elves), they favor and adopt the lifestyle/culture under which they are raised. Same goes for which gods they revere.

Both elves and dwarves have serious cognitive dissonance when it comes to dwelves, as (unlike half-elves or half-orcs, IMO) there's no set form or expectation for how they'll look. It's anyone's guess if you'll end up with a dwarf's body size and shape with elven features and ears or an elf's body but stocky vs. svelte and rather hairier than the norm. Dwarven parents may mourn their child's inability to grow a decent beard, thanks to their elven half, while elves may grumble that the child is more interested in the dirt rather than the tree from which it springs. Most likely, they're only comfortable among some societies that embrace acceptance and unity (like Myth Drannor or Miyeritar or elsewhere).

That said, I was surprised by that Myth Glaurach note. Methinks I'll have to talk to Eric and find out what else he's had the Blackstaff up to while I've not been watching....if only for my own curiousity, of course.

Steven
(and some day I'll tell y'all about the Pentad, an alliance of the churches of five gods of four races...but not today, as only three dwelves worshiped among them, and none of them reached high priest stage or any ranking of note)

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2018 :  20:45:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I DO agree with the canon about dwarves always 'breeding true' (aside from some minor height variations in the hybrid) for personal 'lore reasons', there is this...

quote:

There a number of dwarf/XX crossbreeds but they are nothing more than regular dwarves in the end.

According to the same book a paragraph after your quote: dwarf blood always runs true. So any offspring from ANY dwarf/xx union are exactly the same as dwarves.

So, no muls, no dwelves, no dwarhalfings or dwnomes :)

all are just considered dwarves.
And yet, FR has the D'tarig, which are half-dwarves.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Mar 2018 20:48:08
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2018 :  21:23:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an aside (I didn't want to clutter my above post with side-info), I think we can even use this to fix some of the odness within other dwarf/FR lore.

Here is my 'personal' (homebrewed) take on things. The original race of dwarves were all male (or male-seeming, since without females, being 'male' is meaningless). They look 'rougher' (less finished) than modern dwarves, and more stone-like. The closest thing to those pure dwarves we still would have around are the Urdunnir. Some of this I borrowed from a 3rd-party 3e source; Secrets, by AEG (the part about them being sexless but looking 'male'). What this means is that after the Dawn War, in order to become a true race, Moradin (or someone 'higher up') tinkered with the proto-dwarves so that they could 'breed with anything'. This is an ability the elves already had (due to their 'fluid' nature - the whole 'mutable' thing from MToF). Thus, elves (fey) - and by extension the Ors and goblinoids - all have that ability. The biological adaption of being able to either be a donor of a nucleus, or be the recipient of ANY nucleus via procreation (and 'blending the resultant DNA). This was 'gifted' to the dwarves (an I think the gnomes - via their own 'fey heritage' - may have been involved in that).

So this 'blessing' was granted them, but in using it, they diffused (tainted?) their bloodlines over the years, or would have, had not 'the gods' foreseen that little problem and put in a 'dwarven DNA override' switch. When others do it (and by now, various 'fey' - including goblinoids - have mated with so many other species just about everyone on these worlds can do it now) the result is a 'hybrid' - a creature with aspects of both parents, but in the case of dwarves, they 'breed true' no matter what (with the one exception of some slight height variance... but even that is to a much lesser degree than would be found in other couplings). And thus, Moradin (or whoever) assured that the androgynous dwarves would indeed become a race, and eventually have females of their own (who looked just like the men for years and years - only in the past few centuries has the blood become so corrupted that the females are beginning to look more like females of other races). Now that takes care of a bunch of problems, including dwarven women having beards.

But I only just realized this may have had an inadvertent side-affect. This 'breed true' blessing put into their genetic material did something with Deepspawn that Moradin never foresaw - the Deepspawn spawn were ALSO dwarves... REAL dwarves... not just 'copies'. Thus, they weren't beholden to their deepspawn 'mother', as any other race would be. Unfortunately, this also meant they were suffering from a magical phenomena call 'soul splitting' - when more than one physical body shares a soul (normal Deepspawn offspring are souless - they are just fleshy automaton answering to their 'mother'). This is related to taint/corruption. A person is a 'vessel' into which many things can be poured, and the soul is the main one. A 'pure' soul is a good one. Pretty much 'a saint'. The 'less soul' you have means the more that other stuff can get in and take up that space. It could amount to just 'emptiness' (and in the case of the copied dwarves, that would have been the case... at first). But over time both Taint (evil) and corruption (chaos) can get in. So during the conflict, those dwarves fighting that war became more and more amoral, and risked becoming out-right Evil if things were stopped. I believe some of them did become evil, no? They became a group of Duergar?

Anyhow, I think that's the deal with the dwarves. In some ways its related to whats going on with the elves (fey), and in others, its the opposite; the fey are mutable, although these days most of them need some sort of divine interventions for many changes. The dwarves, on the other hand, are immutable - no matter what they mix with, they remain DWARVES. Only through potent magic, wild magic, a complete lack of magic (Athas), or some other unknown catalyst, will you ever get an actual 'half dwarf'.

Now, in the case of the D'tarig, some of it may have had to do with the magic(life)-eating powers of the Phaerimm. That may have nerfed the Dwarven 'Pureblood' blessing in the area of the Anauroch. However, I think maybe this may be a rare case of extreme dilution. Some surviving dwarves from Tethyamar came across a lonely human princess (who had just escaped her ebil stepmother), and they all had a bit of fun (although some say she slept through most of it), and through the generations of them breeding with that one, original female, the curse was diffused and now we have D'Tarig. Some say a handsome prince eventually found her and 'saved her' from all that, but not until after she had about thirty kids or so... and I am pretty sure the 'handsome prince' was really just Elminster. I hear she now runs a kingdom of her own over in the Unapproachable East...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Mar 2018 21:30:06
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  01:49:09  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no doubt about that last part

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  19:06:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You didn't really think someone named 'Snow White' had black hair, did you?

She was wearing a wig to hide from her wicked stepmother (Baba Yaga can be such a b***h sometime!)

She had to finally move somewhere where there were no dwarves, lest her 'fetish' get the best of her.

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Mar 2018 19:06:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  19:30:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always figured that half-dwarves weren't a distinct race simply because they didn't breed true, and that the part about their blood running true simply means that a half-dwarf looks more dwarfy than anything else, and that the half-blood will not be a factor if a half-dwarf has kids with another dwarf.

Keep in mind it's the creator of the setting that said dwarves can breed with other races and that dwelves are a thing.

The rules -- regardless of edition -- have not always been the best lens to view the setting.

Go to Top of Page

Bragi
Seeker

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2018 :  01:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a thri-kreen from Athas in the World Serpent Inn which connects to Arabel so there is another connection as well.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000