Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Al-Qadim Novel series idea
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  07:00:55  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks I would like to Write Forgotten Realms Novel series about Al-Qadim Land of Fate and featuring a Northern Hero who as a child was taken as a Slave to the Land of Fate since he was Inocent the Slavers were Criminals so he was Freed as small Child, Raised in the City of Wands he became a Sha'ir Genie Mage, the First couple of novel will be feature in the Land of Fate, but later he travel North to find his Parents according to the Lawgiver one must honor there Parents

Waterdeep is going to in for a shock at least,

This idea came about to the simple fact that there is very little info on the Land of Fate since 2nd verion of the Game

I want to official update the setting and story,

LW

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  15:44:00  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's very noble of you but even established Realms authors aren't currently allowed to write the novels that they want to. Short stories maybe but nothing that will be printed.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  15:57:48  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

That's very noble of you but even established Realms authors aren't currently allowed to write the novels that they want to. Short stories maybe but nothing that will be printed.

Is there an official policy governing this or is because of a lack of an editorial/publishing structure available to WotC?
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  16:07:17  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clegane

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Is there an official policy governing this or is because of a lack of an editorial/publishing structure available to WotC?

It's because of the contract WotC has with its novel distributor, Random House LLC.

The only unsolicited submissions that WotC will review are digital artworks.

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 28 Apr 2016 16:10:38
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  06:13:09  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So how do I become a official FR Writer?, is it one those I ahve to be well known and published before they look at me like Star Wars.

LW
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  06:22:48  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much, yeah. WotC has to want you to write a book for them. They'd also give you a mission statement for what to write about which I'm positive would not have anything to do with Zakhara.

You're free to write fan-fiction or a supplement for the DM's Guild, but if you REALLY want to write official lore, you've got to demonstrate to WotC that you're good enough for them by writing for other people first.

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 29 Apr 2016 06:25:44
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  07:11:28  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LWhitehead1

So how do I become a official FR Writer?, is it one those I ahve to be well known and published before they look at me like Star Wars.

That has always been the case in my experience regardless of the medium and the IP involved in the western world. I would not count on anything being taken as official if it wasn't first established as so by the publishing company (Wizards in this case) by the end of the internal product pitch. Considering you don't have that, and are unlikely to get it...I would say the official label is unlikely to be handed out in your case.

I would not let that deter you from writing what it is you're passionate about and sharing your own stories. A good story is a good story, official or not. It's rare but there are exceptions to the above (Grand History of the Realms comes to mind, which occurred due to the very high quality of the product and unintended pitch on the fan's behalf). It does not need to be official, the only thing it needs to be is well executed and captivating.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 29 Apr 2016 10:00:03
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  11:21:05  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dam I going to have to create a new original series to attract the Publishers that I want to write for,

It's going to be easy I've got Asbergers,

LW
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  12:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best of luck to you

Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  02:58:28  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mean is isn't going to be easy for me, so how did Ra Salvitore get away with creating his Drow Character, since WOTC hands you what they want you to write for D&D,

LW
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  04:38:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I mean is isn't going to be easy for me, so how did Ra Salvitore get away with creating his Drow Character, since WOTC hands you what they want you to write for D&D,

LW

I think there was more flexibility, then -- they barely had a novel line, at the time. Additionally, Drizzt was originally dreamed up as a sidekick for Wulfgar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  07:03:04  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frankly I think you should give up writing anything pertaining to the Realms and work on your own material. WoTC is not fertile ground for writers, much less young inexperienced writers. They have no interest in taking chances nor in developing new story lines. So just move on and create your own world.
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  12:58:49  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dam it, ok then I'm going to have create my own D&D world and see if WOTC is interested,

LW
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2016 :  22:11:09  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LW

WotC wasn't in charge of D&D when Bob created Drizzt. Back then, it was a company named TSR. They were much more supportive of the novel line and gave authors a lot more freedom to write what they wanted.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2016 :  08:56:15  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um so buck under TSR Writer had more Freedom, now WOTC doesn't support there Novel lines understand.

Let me guess they don't want new Worlds ether unless it's under there Rules.

So WOTC Writers are handed what to Write by WOTC, so not much say on what they can Write.

Thanks to Torrent I've got 5th version of D&D including Sword Coast so I got and update on FR.

LW
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2016 :  00:28:50  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't quote me on this, but I think authors are still allowed to create OCs, however they have to write about certain events and stick within a certain story line. If I wrote a D&D story, I couldn't just submit it to WotC for consideration. I'm not an expert, but I think you have to be contracted with them (not necessarily work for them, as freelancers write for them).

Granted, most publishing companies have a contract with their writers, but unlike the others where you can submit an original story for consideration, you can't just do that with WotC. If you could, I would have sent a novel to them a long time ago.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2016 :  01:02:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually WotC dictates the basic storyline, and they may have specific events in mind or character types -- but so far as I know, the author is free to work within those guidelines.

WotC usually vets potential authors by having them participate in anthologies or other bits of short fiction, before cutting them loose on novels. Of course, that's when they have a proper novel line, instead of just a trickle coming from known, trusted authors.

I am more than a little convinced that the DM's Guild is, in part, a testing ground -- among other things, it lets WotC see what people can do without actually paying them or even letting them know they're being vetted.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2016 :  08:32:35  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah so DM Guild is WOTC farm Team so to speak, so what does the DM Guild do?,

LW
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2016 :  11:11:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah so DM Guild is WOTC farm Team so to speak, so what does the DM Guild do?,

LW

Officially, it allows people to create, share, and even sell their own content based on WotC intellectual properties. It was originally just for the Realms, but it's been opened up to allow Ravenloft, as well.

A lot of it is setting-specific, but there's also a lot that is people adding to 5E -- new rules, new classes, etc.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2016 :  12:38:33  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh ok so is that the way for me to go then?,

LW
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2016 :  12:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this time, they are only allowing RPG titles. So either you need to adapt what you're working on as an RPG title (e.g. sourcebook, suppliment, adventure path, etc.), or work on it with the realization that it might never go anywhere or be published - which, if you find good people to help you edit and give feedback, is still solid practice.

Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 19 May 2016 13:00:14
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2016 :  01:44:48  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I am more than a little convinced that the DM's Guild is, in part, a testing ground -- among other things, it lets WotC see what people can do without actually paying them or even letting them know they're being vetted.

In the "most optimistic case" interpretation, it must be this, yes.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2016 :  03:20:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

In the "most optimistic case" interpretation, it must be this, yes.

Actually, I think it's cynical of me to think that's what they're doing. But cynical or optimistic, I think it's a damned smart maneuver.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2016 :  19:07:29  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so I got to join the DM Guild,

LW
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2018 :  06:49:51  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just wanted a 5th Version update of one of my Favorite sections of FR,

LW
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2018 :  08:04:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
right now, we would all like a better update to the 5e realms....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2018 :  22:03:30  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Hate to be "that guy" but your idea isn't going to get off the ground. Write fan-fiction for your enjoyment, and well, enjoy it.

-If you're actually looking to make money from something you write, immerse yourself in the massive undertaking it is to actually write and finish even a schlocky sci-fi/fantasy novel and good luck going from publisher to publisher until someone bites.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  00:14:13  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
get it done on amazon..... I've seen novels published through amazon.... course they were digital downloads...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  16:00:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Do they do that? Makes sense. That's probably the "next step" in publication.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  18:06:20  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Do they do that? Makes sense. That's probably the "next step" in publication.

Of course that would mean you'd have to write a generic arabian nights style fantasy story and avoid any WotC properties

But other than that, yes they do that. Whatever it's worth, since they basically publish anything someone pays them to publish. You'll not really get published, but rather just buy an ISBN and being listed in their store for download or even print-on-demand.

You won't receive any service/support/marketing as from being really published by a real publishing company.

Edited by - Mirtek on 01 Apr 2018 18:08:15
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  18:42:46  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have published my book through CreateSpace (Amazon), but it is original work, and not related to WotC, other than being of the fantasy genre.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000