Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What level would Storm Silverhand be in 4E?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2016 :  22:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The levels for 3E are really confusing and not sure how to convert them.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2016 :  22:55:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is, in part, because WotC specifically decided that converting from 3E to 4E was something that shouldn't be done.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2016 :  23:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any idea though what level she should be? 28 maybe?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  00:47:43  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came across this questions when I did a search for Torm, but still maybe the question can still use an answer?

So there's two ways you can go about this: starting her up like she's a player OR starting her up as well if she were an NPC or monster. When trying to convert NPCs I always go the latter since I can add features, abilities, and spells that aren't hard coded into class design.

Regarding Storm Silverhand, she has lots of classes in 3.0 (rogue, fighter, sorcerer, bard, and Harper) and that's a lot of..... unnecessary mechanics and mumbo jumbo. If I'm using that as a basis, I'd give her sneak attack +2d6, make her really good with the blade and sword, maybe some bard spells, training in almost all the skills, and lots and lots of protections.

If you're intent is to stat her as a PC, go Harper Agent theme, Human Bard then grab the Sorcerer, Rogue, and Fighter multiclass feats. Because your a hard you're not restricted to just one Multiclass feat so grab the best ones. Then grab Combat Virtuso so all the attacks are based on Charisma.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  15:59:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, I realize I didn't answer the actual question. In 3.0 Storm had 28 HD worth of classes +4 from the Chosen of Mystra template for a CR 32. Usually you do a 2-to-3 ratio of level from 3e to 4e but in this case, your best bet is to stick to level 30-ish.

As a PC, I'd go level 30. Instead of taking the Sorcerer multiclass feat, I'd grab the Wizard one then get the Simbarch of Aglarond paragon path. This nets you arcane healing and Silver Fire. Follow all of this up with the Chosen Epic Destiny and you're good to go.

If you're going to stat her as an NPC (the route I'd go) then I'd make her a level 31 Solo Controller (leader). Giver her silver fire, a few healing and leader powers, sneak attack, trained in most skills, maybe an aura, and back her up with a bunch of high level Knight minions called knights of Myth Drannor, maybe a high level solder like a Harper high knight

Edited by - Diffan on 21 Aug 2019 18:52:53
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  17:52:38  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, I love the "unnecessary mechanics and mumbo jumbo" followed by more "unnecessary mechanics and mumbo jumbo" that cost another $300 to figure out before that went in the trash for more "unnecessary mechanics and mumbo jumbo".....

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded." -- only if it was full of 4E and its destruction of a century for more $$$... and now we enter 5.... sigh

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  19:04:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BrennonGoldeye

Haha, I love the "unnecessary mechanics and mumbo jumbo" followed by more "unnecessary mechanics and mumbo jumbo" that cost another $300 to figure out before that went in the trash for more "unnecessary mechanics and mumbo jumbo".....

I dunno about you but Rogue 1/ Fighter 4/ Sorcerer 12/ Bard 8/ Harper 3 is about as randomized mix of WTF as you can get. Not to mention how much in XP penalties she's taking by the sheer amount of bad leveling there is. I get that the early designers didn't take into account for any of the aspects these restrictions placed, as evident as stat-blocks like hers but yea, it ended up just being a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

As to the Edition-treadmill, well it's not like people were forced at gun-point to buy anything after their preferred system. Lots of people stuck with 1e and never looked at anything else and some got into the game during 3e or 3.5 or 4e or 5e. I personally love multiple different editions. Why would I shell out $300 for a system that's almost exactly the same as the system before (like 3.5 to Pathfinder)? I think that's even more silly, to pay for someone's homebrew rules. Say what you will about 4E (everyone loves to throw shade it's way anyways) but at least the difference in game was worth the money instead of shelling MORE money for the nearly the same stuff that Paizo put out.

quote:
Originally posted by BrennonGoldeye

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded." -- only if it was full of 4E and its destruction of a century for more $$$... and now we enter 5.... sigh

Oh, you still hold on dearly to old Canon? How.....nice. Luckily I think Mearls had decided not to send in the Goon squad to take everyone's D&D books that were from before 5th Edition, so at least you got that going for ya!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000