Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Siege of Dragonspear, and it's reviews.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  19:51:46  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really good article indeed.

Also, to Shadowsoul.
Yes, Amber Scott declard herself a SJW, but this may be like Solas started to use the name Fen'harel in Dragon Age. Now, it argubly reached a point were people also seem to call each other SJWs to often. And sometimes even, those calling other SJW, are actually bigoted, and the so called by them "SJWs", actually do progressive work in medias, that's actually pretty needed.

But the core of my argument is, the SJW term is a bit overused by now...

Edited by - Baltas on 12 Apr 2016 21:30:07
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  21:54:03  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Baltas, "SJW" does feel overused and more often than not in a derogatory way. It's like how "feminist" was/still is often used by haters as an insult, when in actuality, words like "feminist" and "social justice warrior" are just to denote people who believe in fighting for equality. Some do it more zealously than do others, but still, imo it's silly to make nouns that are at worse neutral into negative descriptors.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  00:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like BG you'll like SoD.
The "shocking" content..I didn't even register.

SoD didn't have the pull on me, I almost forgot I had it. Which is weird since I've been jonesing for more BG since 2002.

I just need to find the time..
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  00:41:56  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

If you like BG you'll like SoD.
The "shocking" content..I didn't even register.

Ditto. Frankly, I'd never have noticed the "shocking content" if the drama queens of the internet hasn't made an issue of it. Which sucks because now I'm consciously having to make an effort to ignore the insignificant details I'd have blissfully not seen otherwise. Makes me wish Alter Memories were an affordable spell in this world.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  04:13:27  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"In which Ed Greenwood (after Anne McCafrey and Tom Siddell before him) learns the hard way why by now just about everyone either intentionally caters or treats this sort of content as a plague".
(Sigh)
Let's note that (unlike Ed) the designers are certainly aware of what's going on the internet.
Is there anything more to say, really?
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

I agree with Baltas, "SJW" does feel overused and more often than not in a derogatory way. It's like how "feminist" was/still is often used by haters as an insult,

That's strange. Why would this be so?
Oh, right, those "haters", imaginary evil thoughtcriminals. That's the only possible reason.
quote:
when in actuality, words like "feminist" and "social justice warrior" are just to denote people who believe in fighting for equality.

Surely you have met some evidence in support of such a strange idea?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  04:24:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not like where this is going.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  07:18:26  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

I agree with Baltas, "SJW" does feel overused and more often than not in a derogatory way. It's like how "feminist" was/still is often used by haters as an insult,

That's strange. Why would this be so?
Oh, right, those "haters", imaginary evil thoughtcriminals. That's the only possible reason.
quote:
when in actuality, words like "feminist" and "social justice warrior" are just to denote people who believe in fighting for equality.

Surely you have met some evidence in support of such a strange idea?

Well, TBeholder, for feminism, to say the least, look up Malala Yousafzai, International Women's Health Coalition, Femme International.
In terms of activity in the "First World countries", look up for reason the results of the research done in Tel Aviv:
http://nber.org/papers/w20909

For Social Justice Warriors, the definition is extremelly broad, and in full definition, and in the intented, not sarcrastic meaning, may mean many things, LGBT activists, Feminists, Anti-racism activists, MRAs, etc.

About "haters"/"imaginary evil thoughtcriminals", I can discuss this on Private Message with you, as I don't want this to completelly overtake this discussion.

Edited by - Baltas on 13 Apr 2016 07:56:17
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  13:53:07  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TBeholder, are you actually interested in civilized discussion, or, judging by the tone of your post, are you solely interested in taking cheap shots? :P

Even though it appears that you've made certain assumptions about me (and correct me if I'm wrong about this, but given that you've never taken the time to actually know me, it stands to reason then that I'm not), I'd like to withhold the same "courtesy" from you, as my basic level of respect for members of this forum is higher than that for the general population on the internet. So I ask you, what exactly do you gain by making antagonistic assertions at me when all I've done is state my perspectives on the matter? ;)

Edited by - sno4wy on 13 Apr 2016 15:20:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  15:17:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not get personal on this, please.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  22:08:51  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think Wooly is right here, no need to take this so personaly. I just wanted to note that Amber Scott might have taken intentionally on the label of a SJW, as a critique of sorts if how this term(in it's pejorative sense) is over-used, but I fear it may derail the discussion.
I also think the topic if Amber Scott, and Mizhena, is dominating to much of the discussion about Siege of Dragonspear, including here now.

Let's maybe try to discuss other stuff in the game.

Edited by - Baltas on 13 Apr 2016 22:20:07
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2016 :  22:56:30  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My apologies, it wasn't my intent to make things uncomfortable. I was caught off-guard by the "imaginary evil thoughtcriminals" comment, as it was the first time I'd seen a member of these forums accuse another of being not right in the head. ;P Granted, I haven't been here as long as most of you and I've only read through a handful of threads, so my assumptions aren't really based on anything. I'll happily chalk this up to a miscommunication borne from the ease with which text can be misunderstood due to the relative difficulty to discern tone from it.

Regardless, don't let my surprise stop people from talking about anything that they want to discuss, so long as it's in line with the codes of conduct.
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2016 :  00:51:28  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find this image quite funny and interesting. Shows maybe too much of the personal opinion of the writer, and basically nearly every response option is a shade of the same viciously angry and offended reaction, lol.

http://i.imgur.com/YaCQ8n7.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2016 :  13:33:23  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

I find this image quite funny and interesting. Shows maybe too much of the personal opinion of the writer, and basically nearly every response option is a shade of the same viciously angry and offended reaction, lol.

Well, to be honest, option 3 "Are you talking to me?, doesn't sound neither offended, or angry, and the rest pretty gives a varied version of feeling offended, and reacting on it, depending on the Bhaalspawn personality we're going with.
There may had been more reactions like 3, at least one more, but I don't think it's that bad.

Edited by - Baltas on 14 Apr 2016 14:33:18
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2016 :  15:03:02  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

quote:

Well, to be honest, option 3 "Are you talking to me?, doesn't sound neither offended, or angry

Unless you say it in Robert De Niro's voice :P

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2016 :  00:01:55  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hahaha! hilarious! I think we're getting close to the society depicted in "Demolition Man"... give it a few years! I can't help think what a warrior from the middle ages would think of all this online chatter...

Ah... demolition man... http://i.imgur.com/iVHSD0W.gif

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 15 Apr 2016 00:06:37
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2016 :  00:08:26  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also... prophetic? :P

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcqkw6fdJg1qei97go1_400.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2016 :  16:17:03  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

Hahaha! hilarious! I think we're getting close to the society depicted in "Demolition Man"... give it a few years! I can't help think what a warrior from the middle ages would think of all this online chatter...

Ah... demolition man... http://i.imgur.com/iVHSD0W.gif

Well, seeing all of the situation, there are various possible dystopias, and it's hard to tell if we're heading towards one, towards which.
The problem too, is a double sided sword. Again, the whole situation of attacking Siege of Dragonspear, is a bit on attack on free speech(in terms of writting), despite ironically, opponents of SJW seemingly so defending free speech.
A comment of one of people critiquing Siege of Dragonspear:
http://imgur.com/2CBDrqG

But again, I think this discussion goes to much into Amber Scott, her beliefs, and how her beliefs influence her writting etc.

I would love if we finally discussed other stuff, like Safana and Jaheira for example.

Edited by - Baltas on 16 Apr 2016 17:24:28
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2016 :  17:48:46  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was there any mention of a Dumok the Fist? There was a massive hammer that belonged to him in the Temple of Tempus in the Icewind Dale game. The plaque for the weapon said Dumok was a legendary warrior that fell in battle during the Siege of Dragonspear.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2016 :  04:08:00  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rather not, as Dumok died before the first Icewind Dale game - which means some time before 1281 DR.
The first Baldur's Gate game, begins in 1368 DR.
So Dumok died in a different, much earlier assault of the Dragonspear castle. There were actually QUITE a lot of assaults on the Dragonspear castle in history...
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2016 :  04:41:21  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone will get the job done correctly, eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2016 :  20:36:17  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So...anyone could detail the changes to Jaheira's and Safana's peronalities/characterisation?
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2016 :  22:39:25  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rather not, as Dumok died before the first Icewind Dale game - which means some time before 1281 DR.
So Dumok died in a different, much earlier assault of the Dragonspear castle. There were actually QUITE a lot of assaults on the Dragonspear castle in history...

I was hoping there might be an encounter with his ghost are perhaps some lore might be revealed.
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2016 :  00:02:39  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clegane

quote:

I was hoping there might be an encounter with his ghost or perhaps some lore might be revealed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000