Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Pyramids in the north
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  18:20:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone know of any more pyramids in the north of faerun (including ziggurats).

I've got one in the tortured lands (monument of the ancients).
One in the moonsea (sorcerers isle)
A collection in ascore.

Are there anymore? Hopefully one in the fallen lands or the tunlands?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  20:11:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and the one in the Dire Wood (but that was built a bit late for my requirements)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  23:50:26  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
could you add what is your theory? I do not know of any other pyramid except mulhorand/unther
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2016 :  06:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dazz is talking about the pyramids in Ascore and on Sorcerer's Isle in the Moonsea Region. It would be interesting to have them all share a connection in lore, but just to insert real-world analogy, there are pyramids in different cultures/locations that aren't connected - except by some similarity in shape. (Unless you're an ancient alien astronaut conspiracy believer. Because it's always aliens!)

- Ryan

Edited by - Rymac on 08 Apr 2016 06:47:42
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2016 :  12:27:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the absence of pyramids in Europe I see as similar to the north. These therefore must be special.

I am going to link them but not explicitly so. What I need is another pyramid in the south of anauroch/stone lands/cormyr border for the link to work.

I'd prefer one to exist than create one

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2016 :  19:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are claims there are pyramids in Bosnia, but those are "pseudoscience" theories at best. Those claims are based on the idea that some of the hills in Bosnia are pyramids that are in great ruin, eroded over time and overgrown with grass, trees, and other flora.

So who is to say some of the large hills in the Realms aren't in fact ruined mega-structures. The hills of the Seven Lost Gods near Westgate come to mind, although I suspect you want farther south than that.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2016 :  19:18:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Farther north actually. I want it on the border of anauroch ideally

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  13:17:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No other pyramids, really? Oh well I'll just have to make one up. Looks like it'll be home to Camnod the unseen. Now I need a name for the last lost god on the sorcerers isle.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  20:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
looking for the Seven?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  20:36:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I've got all the info I could find on them, and no treatise on netheril would be complete without touching on the dark three and the seven lost gods.

We've got details of 5 lost gods, stories for 4, the names of 6 of them. I hope to finish off the missing details and as always debunk the myth and tell the real story behind it that evolved and was corrupted into the myth.

So tyranthraxus needs his story telling (I got him mostly worked out and it's nothing to do with oinoloths or anthraxus).
Camnod the unseen needs placing and his story telling.
The last one needs detailing, naming and placing (and sorcerers isle might be a good place to start).
Then I need to tie Camnod and the unnamed one into marams story and Jergals.

Anyone care to dream of a name?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2016 :  20:15:27  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you are using pyramids in conjuction with seven? What is the link?
Has nobody asked Ed about name of the seventh lost god? He will surely pull it out of his sleeve. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2016 :  20:50:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm tying pyramids to three of the lost gods. As always myths and legends get confused so I intend to play on that to make things more realistic sounding.

Borem was collateral damage. Haask was a massive disappointment. Hargut was unsuitable for their purposes. Tyranthraxus wasn't a target he was an ally. Maram was the primary goal, as was Camnod and the unnamed one.

But tavern tales of these heroes paints it as a massive epic and so legend gives birth to the Seven Lost Gods.

Now off to ask Ed.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2016 :  13:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that you think of them only in regard to dark three. They were there long before them and not much is known about them in this time. Have you made any material except official stories of Maram, etc.?
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2016 :  17:11:53  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Sorcerer's Isle was an arcane school or laboratory at one point. That's all that's been said for certain about it's history before Yarash showed up.

It's been a popular topic of discussion though. Derrin Drader, who wrote Mysteries of the Moonsea was going to do a Web Enhancement that gave the pyramid more detail but WotC canned it just before release. Many fan theories (from before Monument of the Ancients was released) link it to Horreb.

However, many have made note of the population of Thri-kreen living nearby. These Thri-Kreen are descendants of an ancient tribe who were around before the Moonsea was colonized but then moved underground until relatively recently. In May of 2010, Ed hinted that the history of the Thri-Kreen in the Realms is linked to Jergal but couldn't say how due to NDAs. Maybe something there to help you link it all together Dazz.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2016 :  19:34:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm definitely not viewing the 7 Lost Gods only in terms of the Dark Three. I am however doing a sourcebook on Netheril so the Dark Three is important in the story of the lost gods.

I've got Maram as something ancient that I am tying into the history of the Netherese (and Jergal) and Camnod and this 7th unnamed being (that I might call Kir'gall) will be tied into Maram's story.

Borem i don't recall being noted as ancient. He appeared suddenly in the region near Westgate and the Dark Three happened to be nearby in order to deal with it. I'm leaning towards Borem being a magical accident although I'm unsure whether to tie it into Netheril or Jhaamdath (although maybe both if the dates work).

Tyranthraxus I'm linking to a comment from Ed a few years back which places him involved in events during or before the Discovery Age of Netheril so he isn't that ancient compared to the others (at least not as far as beings like Maram and Hargut are concerned) but a thousand years is more than enough time for him to be lost to human history and to have his name turn to legend and artificially inflate his abilities and activities.

Haask seems a newbie to me. Yes he was an ancient batrachi but i don't recall that the details of how long he had resided at Ironfang Keep. I am leaning towards his appearance being recent (to -357 ish) given that he made his move to grasp power then and one wonders why he did not do it sooner if he had been there for a long time.

Hargut yes had been there a long time but I'm thinking that he might be a byproduct of the events I'm linking to Maram and Camnod and the unnamed one.

The Thri Kreen is an odd one and when i first read the monument of the ancients article i discounted the idea of the artificers of Horreb being Thri Kreen because they weren't labelled as Thri Kreen in the description. However the mention is turning cogs in my brain and i think I've got a theory.

Something that links to Jergal and involves multi dimensional outcasts that merge with humans to produce something that could be best described as a thri kreen. I'm thinking a few dimensional anchors stabilised the fabric of the region to allow the thri kreen like beings to exist.

Maram's release damages this dimensional stability and messes things up. Camnod escapes his imprisonment. The last lost god I'm unsure about because the thri kreen could be watching over him (until their destruction that is).

Just a few ideas anyway. Now back to the First Age

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  08:30:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I found another ziggurat/node (thunderhome). Now I just need to check if anyone (dwarves) were living there between -30000 dr and -300 dr.

I hope not because Camnod the unseen would work well as a shadow being

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  10:20:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First mention in the published lore is 989 DR.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  10:53:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspected as much. I don't suppose you know of any links you or Eric or ed might be looking to make to thunderhome in that period?

Although I suppose I could just inter the target objective inside a secret chamber in the ziggurat that way no one need discover it.

Camnod of course breaks free and makes his way to Camnods cairn where he gets killed.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Evrat
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  10:22:38  Show Profile Send Evrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Well I found another ziggurat/node (thunderhome). Now I just need to check if anyone (dwarves) were living there between -30000 dr and -300 dr.

Huummm... which ziggurat closed from Thunderhome ?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  12:42:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cult of the dragon sourcebook mentions the ziggurat in augloroasa's entry.

Admittedly the assumption is that the structure is new but i see no reason why the dwarves could not have been misled into rebuilding a ruined on. Its use to allow augloroasa to enter the material plane by acting as some kind of planar rify is exactly what i was looking to do with it as well.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  15:09:20  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evrat

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Huummm... which ziggurat closed from Thunderhome ?

It was a temple to Dumathoin. Took 20 years to build, and then Dagan, Dumathoin's high priest dedicated it to Null instead and summoned Aurgloroasa, who'd been manipulating him.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000