Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 He better not!( MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR MAESTRO HERE)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

CTrunks
Acolyte

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2016 :  07:08:51  Show Profile Send CTrunks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I appreciated the discussion and your contribution in trying to reconcile the lore in Archmage with previous faerzress lore, but I still have a few doubts.

Hey, that's fine, even I've got doubts on this one. And discussing this sort of thing is honestly kinda fun for me, since I'm not sure we'll ever get an answer, and a fan theory is better than a resigned shrug, ya know?

quote:
Liriel's rune borught faerzress magic on the surface, that I know. Drow had no problem using Weave/divine magic there, before she did.

Oh, I don't deny that I may have interpreted her motivation for creating the rune to be more than just retaining their innate abilities. Although... I'm not sure if it completely shoots it in the knee, or just kicks it really hard; we only know the drow can bring their magic to the surface, not if faerzress can survive exposure to sunlight.

quote:
The Faerzress being used as a battery seems counterintuitive to me, given that--according to what's been said in Archmage--the radiation is acting like a planar barrier. If it was used as a battery, then why wouldn't the summoning work on the surface, differently from other faerzress-based magic?

I fully admit, this is the weakest part of my theory, and the part I'm least... confident on. I'd have to honestly sit back and think on it.

quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

Is this the part where we put our faces in our hands and sob quietly?

It's tempting!

Edited by - CTrunks on 03 May 2016 07:10:41
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  19:22:22  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

quote:
Originally posted by Sothron

3. This is how Tiago goes out? Really? This guy has been built up over how many books now just to go out like that? Pshaw. What a complete waste of a character. This fight lasted I think 3 pages in the book? And it ended up like, to borrow a pro wrestling meme, LOL CENA er DRIZZT WINS! where the good guy takes all the damage, gets his ass kinda handed to him but somehow makes one move at the very end and that's the end of the match folks. Unreal.

I disagree. Tiago had already been defeated by Drizzt more than once and had long outlived his usefulness to the story.

And I honestly don't think Tiago was handing Drizzt his ass, quite the contrary, I think Drizzt orchestrated the whole ending of the fighting. It was pretty awesome.

This. The ship on Tiago being interesting had long since sailed, his early brashness towards the established power players of Menzo (Jarlaxle, Gromph, etc) and even the Matron Mothers at times had been beaten down lately to remind him of his place, along with the constant reminders to him that his obsession with Drizzt was not only stupid, but likely to end up in his death, which it did, and in a way I enjoyed immensely.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  23:26:56  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The Shades had at least three active flying enclaves, at one point. In addition to Shade proper and Sakkors, there was a third enclave, mentioned in the Neverwinter campaign book. The name escapes me at the moment; there was not much info on that enclave, other than that it was parked neared Thay and was basically a flying siege engine.

I think the one attacking Thay was more like a big flying fortress than a full enclave
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2016 :  21:53:37  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the Shade enclaves: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/29/i-thought-elminster-crashed-shade-enclave-into-mythdrannor/

Well, I guess that explains the inconsistencies, as far as that topic is concerned. Honestly, it feels kind of like retcon in an attempt to make everything consistent.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2016 :  22:31:26  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While this may be an attempt at keeping continuity, it does open possibilites for more development, and it raises a lot of questions (like: when did the Shadovar get so many enclaves, are they older Netherese cities that have been restored, or other surviving Netherese enclaves. What are the 40 surviving cities going to do now? Etc...). Hopefully, Ed was teasing something that we'll see some of the books that he's going to publish through the DMG. That said, there is just so much stuff in Ed's Realms that we never got to see (although he does insert tidbits of lore in his novels), these 40 cities could very well be part of it.

In either case, thanks for sharing, sno4wy!

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000