Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Sword Coast Legends Postmortem
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2016 :  04:20:56  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
N-Space, the developer of Sword Coast Legends has closed.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1238/view/news/read/38973/Sword-Coast-Legends-nSpace-Closes-After-21-Years.html

Their community manager/pr person just posted on the forums that this was his last day as well.

It looks like the company couldn't survive the backlash against the game. I for one enjoyed it for the simple game that it was, despite its many flaws, and it is sad to see that an FR game with potential will go down the tubes.

Onward!

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  20:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not surprised at all. They were vague and at times dishonest before release, and the game, no matter if you enjoyed it or not, was not the game people wanted.

I hope Hasbro/WotC take note that we demand high quality product. Good thing we get SIEGE OF DRAGONSPEAR today.
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  20:23:56  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol. And they didnt even complete the Rage of Demons DLC I preorded. Terrible. Normally I never preorder things, but I thought these guys had the passion and expertise to make a good Realms CRPG and was desperate to support them. Their director was after all the same director of Dragon Age Origins (which is a game I love and cherish even more than the BG games). But ultimately it was an unsuccessful hybrid of Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age mechanics, except done much more badly.

Oh well, I'm sure it's an awful enough situation for them anyway. And it's awful for us CRPG lovers because WotC might get the impression they should never support a traditional CRPG again (which by all counts there was nothing traditional about the style of this game, it's gameplay didn't work anything like D&D). But WotC's marketing branch are too clueless about the video game industry in general and will not see the difference between this style of game and the Baldur's Gate games. Which means they might choose instead to support another soul-and-dollar-devouring MMO like Neverwinter.

Edited by - deserk on 31 Mar 2016 20:33:38
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  20:37:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't played the game, and I don't really play VGs anymore (the last I played was The Witcher 3, and then Mass Effect 3 about 3 years before that). However, I'm still sorry that this game failed, because its success might have led to more FR support in general. Instead, as Deserk pointed out, WotC might cut their support to this kind of games altogether, and be even less likely to create more Realms content.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  21:15:10  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While this game and the other one, Daggerdale(?), didn't really do well other games are still being successful like Neverwinter MMO and previous series. Heck I know of quite a few people who've been buying the new Baldur's Gate game. So lets hope WotC doesn't see this failure and cut all ties with the VG area altogether.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  02:32:12  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur's Gate is a better 5e game than SCL was. I do hope those nSpace devs find work elsewhere soon, but SCL was dead on the vine.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  02:46:34  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
N-Space was famous for its handheld games. It had virtually no experience with PC titles. When SCL was announced, I had no doubt in my mind that unless Digital Extremes held N-Space's hand throughout the development process, the game would likely flop.

I'm actually going to play SCL for the very first time soon. It's been sitting in my Steam library since before Christmas because my gaming rig runs XP and SCL won't play without DirectX 10 but I'm getting a new gaming laptop in the next few weeks.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  03:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of, the new expansion for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editon, Siege of Dragonspear, was just released today. Beamdog's additions to the series have been of mixed interest from a Realms perspective (seeing a Thayan enclave in Athkatla was great, murdering the Order of the Radiant Heart not so much) but it's more Infinity Engine, and that's much better than SCL.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  11:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

Lol. And they didnt even complete the Rage of Demons DLC I preorded. Terrible. ...

Apparently it was completed.

https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/10541-gamers-are-furious-over-this-mans-one-weird-trick/?p=104903
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  16:05:06  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping that SCL would be a new BG, but they didn't even manage to make playing the game a smooth experience.

It was kind of frustrating to go to their boards and see people complaining about how the game wasn't a faithful tabletop simulator when basic functions like scrolling the map wasn't intuitive. Make playing the game actually work well, then worry about rule implementations.

I don't need my D&D games to be exactly like BG, the PS2 Dark Alliance games were great, but they need to be good games.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  18:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems my opinion differs from a lot of other players, because I completed Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, both Icewind Dales, and Sword Coast Legends, but enjoyed Sword Coast Legends the most of that group. And I found the multiplayer sessions I had with SCL to be superior to any of the multiplayer games I ran in Icewind Dale. In fact, I just got Siege of Dragonspear and am not really enjoying it as much as I'd like--certainly not as much as SCL.

However, Neverwinter Nights 1 (Bioware game, not the AOL game or modern MMO) remains the best Forgotten Realms game for me. Neverwinter Nights 2 was good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as NWN 1.

I'm sorry to hear about the closing of the Sword Coast Legends developer. Hopefully the staff can find new jobs soon.

Edited by - Master Katarn on 02 Apr 2016 18:45:24
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  21:49:25  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soooo, anyone thinking of going back to Neverwinter Nights 2 PWs?

Honestly, I had hoped SCL might be a platform for world-building like NWN, turned out it wasn't meant for that. Still, it's unfortunate that it didn't go ahead on its focus, either.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  22:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siege of Dragonspear <3
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  19:39:46  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All pretty sad news.

But on the other hand guys, how do you feel the Siege of Dragonspear is?
It has some pretty bad reviews, but that may possibly be due to the zero reviews due to the Gamergate controversy(let's just not get into details of Gamergate, it's very complicated, and often results in messy discussions), people having issues with Mizhena being transgendered or maybe rather how it was portrayed, and a few other stuff.
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50341/negative-reviews-on-gog-and-steam/p1

Again, I will (saddly) accept if the expansion isn't all that good, but I just want to know from a more reliable source(candlekeep.com ) how it really is.

Edited by - Baltas on 08 Apr 2016 09:00:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  20:00:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

All pretty sad news.

But on the other hand guys, how do you feel the Siege of Dragonspear is?
It has some pretty bad reviews, but that may possibly be due to the zero reviews due to the Gamergate controversy(let's just not get into details of Gamergate, it's very messy and complicated), people having issues with Mizhena being transgendered or maybe rather how it was portrayed, and a few other stuff.
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50341/negative-reviews-on-gog-and-steam/p1

Again, I will (saddly) accept if the expansion isn't all that good, but I just want to know from a more reliable source(candlekeep.com ) how it really is.

I haven't played the game, myself, but from what I've read online, the majority of the negative reviews -- some of which are from people that haven't even played the game -- are because of that character.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  21:13:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Wooly, I haven't played the game. The reviews on Siege of Dragonspear, anti-inclusivness aside, were largely poor due to many of the system's bugs and glitches with in-game play along with errors that occurred in uploading character files. The reviews of the game were to either not buy it totally or wait for a patch to fix all the issues.
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  03:58:51  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm playing Siege of Dragonspear right now, and had no problem importing my party from the post Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition save. So far, I haven't seen any serious bugs or glitches (although to be fair, I haven't tried multiplayer yet), which makes me wonder if those poor reviews are because of said bugs or the controversy about the content (I personally feel the expansion content fits in well with the main Baldur's Gate game and don't really agree with the horde of complaints used to justify all the zero star reviews, etc).

Edited by - Master Katarn on 07 Apr 2016 04:00:49
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  13:31:36  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies guys!

Also, I heard they changed Jaheira's and Safana's charaterisations, with Safana becoming less flirtous, and more unpleasant. Although allready between Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Jaheira's changed somewhat, and Safana was a bit less pleasant in 2, betraying the Bhaalspawn and stuff.

And after thinking about it, I'm not sure if we shoudn't start a separate topic about Siege of Dragonspear, and maybe move the posts there.

Edited by - Baltas on 07 Apr 2016 13:34:06
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  13:59:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baltas, that's probably a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  15:45:00  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Baltas, that's probably a good idea.

Well, I just wonder, to qoute your post, Wooly Rupert and Master Katarn's, or apply to an administrator to move these posts to a new topic?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  17:18:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other than using the quote function, we really don't have a good mechanism for moving posts from one topic to another -- either the forum software doesn't allow it, or it's disabled.

It's likely easier to just start a new topic, and quote any relevant posts there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  19:10:21  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll do so.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2016 :  07:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Speaking of, the new expansion for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editon, Siege of Dragonspear, was just released today. Beamdog's additions to the series have been of mixed interest from a Realms perspective (seeing a Thayan enclave in Athkatla was great, murdering the Order of the Radiant Heart not so much) but it's more Infinity Engine, and that's much better than SCL.

What do you mean about murdering the Order of the Radiant Heart?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

ghilteras
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2017 :  19:57:31  Show Profile Send ghilteras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

Baldur's Gate is a better 5e game than SCL was. I do hope those nSpace devs find work elsewhere soon, but SCL was dead on the vine.

I don't think Baldur's Gate is not 5e, the ruleset looks like 2nd edition D&D
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2017 :  22:27:05  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ghilteras

quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

I don't think Baldur's Gate is not 5e, the ruleset looks like 2nd edition D&D

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are both 2e. My implication was that SCL was so far removed from anything resembling 5e, that a 2e game was a better 5e implementation.

SCL resembled Dragon Age type mechanics far greater than anything I'd call D&D. SCL was to me just a Dragon Age game wearing Forgotten Realms skin.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

ghilteras
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  00:14:22  Show Profile Send ghilteras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, SCL felt more like 4e and maybe it is, I mean I never played 4e, but that definitely was not 5e

I'm curious if baldur's gate siege of dragonspear is 5e though..
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  02:53:23  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ghilteras

I agree, SCL felt more like 4e and maybe it is, I mean I never played 4e, but that definitely was not 5e

I'm curious if baldur's gate siege of dragonspear is 5e though..

Siege of Dragonspear (SoD) is 2e like the other Baldur's Gate games (SoD is an expansion for the original Baldur's Gate, requires BG1EE to play). The only Infinity Engine game that wasn't 2e was Icewind Dale II, which was 3e (or 3.5e, I can't remember exactly).

-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 07 Mar 2017 02:54:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000