Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Buying the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  06:09:34  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How much is the Forgotten Realms IP worth, d'ya think? And would Hasbro be willing to part with it? I doubt I could afford it, though I am fairly wealthy, but I vaguely remember a dream that I just woke from involving crowdfunding and giving the authors complete creative control. It was utopian and I can't stop thinking about it.

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  09:29:53  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As to your wealth, I wouldn’t put all my eggs in the DnD basket. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been a casual DnD fan since the 70s (large periods of interruption by RL however) and if changing the onerous “memorizing of spells” mechanic, and going down to one 20-sided die didn’t perk up the popularity… then I don’t know what will. And the lack of popularity doesn’t seem to be generationally related to the modern day so-called “short attention span wants instant gratification”. I mean DnD wasn’t hugely popular back when gaming was slower.

While allowing more control to “content providers” might work, you shouldn’t let that get out of hand. If you put a bunch of creative peeps on a committee… then nothing will be accomplished without direction……… and deadlines.

Well, wasn’t that worth 2 cents?
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  11:23:34  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastermustard

and giving the authors complete creative control. It was utopian and I can't stop thinking about it.

more of an distopian nightmare. In a shared world you need a final authorty in charge or the frays if individual developments become irreconcilable at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  11:39:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say go for it. But it back and then create a council of FR greats to oversee it with one person as the traffic cop to get final say.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  12:23:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Essentially haven't they just parted with it to a big degree? The DMS Guild offering gives people free reign to make their own content for the realms and sell it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  12:52:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DMS Guild is not canon however clearly a device to keep content produced and earn some money on the side.

As for purchase of FR IP that is hard to price. There are many reasons for that. The existing contracts would need to be dealt with. There likely is still is income stream from novels, perhaps future income from the movie and so on. The biggest problem of setting a purchase price is not how much the assets are worth now, office equipment and other physical items are likely less then 10,000,000 unless some expensive real estate is owned by the IP. There of course might be mortgages or other debts that reduce the net worth of the IP.
The real price is the estimated future income and costs to produce that income. Which is an estimate based on business plan and realistic estimates of revenues and expenses.

Without enough information of trademarks owned, the contracts including royalties and debts it is impossible for me to even begin to calculate what might be considered a fair price. There also is the question of how much return you expect on your investment.

WotC purchased D&D from TSR because TSR was facing bankruptcy (cash flow problem) and I do not know how much they paid for the IP (and other assets of TSR)then.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000