Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What shall I read, what shall I read!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  22:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail!

Okey, heres the deal. I have read the Icewind Dale Trilogy and I am half-way into the Dark-Elf Trilogy.

Now, the question is: Which one should I read when I am done with these? I do not have much idea. I like to read about the five friends, but I would like to read about someone else now.......I think.

Any suggestions would be fine, everyone should say what they think.

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  23:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you want to stick with Salvatore, "The Cleric Quintet" came out next by release date....
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  02:39:37  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cleric Quintet was the first thing that popped into my mind.If you want to read from a different author.Try The Threat from the Sea trilogy by Mel Odom.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  03:45:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ezindir the dark
Any suggestions would be fine, everyone should say what they think.

Well, any subject matter interest you in particular or not interest you? Want to read about a certain area? Certain race?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  08:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ack! brush it all aside...... grab hold of the Sembia Series or War of the Spider Queen!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  08:47:47  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sembia series or anything by Elaine Cunningham: Song & Sword, Starlight & Shadow or Councillors & Kings are all good series. WotSQ is a good series but not resolved yet (and very slow coming out in PB)

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  09:46:43  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the notion of the Sembia Series - a very good read. The Everis Cale Triology and The Rouge Series are another option too.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  09:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course theres always the Finders Stone Trilogy and Heroes of Phlan to give you a nice flavor.

::whispers:: keep 'em coming fellow scribes, we'll have Ezindir with the full FR novel collection at this rate

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 23 Mar 2004 09:54:48
Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  15:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want something action-packed, just read Spellfire (they killed 3 dracoliches and a blackdragon )

Cunningham's novels are also good.

Hey, while everyone is here I've got to ask this:
Since I live in Finland I really can't buy books in stores so I decided to order over the internet.
The question is: What shall I order? (I was thinking about the Return of the Archwizards trilogy since its a major event in realms, but I'm not sure yet...)
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  17:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Narad:I live in Norway, and I know the problem about stores, but since I live in the capital city there is one store which sells the Books. But if I want a spesiall book I will mostly have to buy it, and then I order it in my local bookstore, and then I don't have to pay for shipping it.

Everyone: I would like to read somthing by R.A Salvatore, I would mostly like to read about a person adn not a god for now, and gennerally I just wanted to know a good book that I should read, so that I don't have to read somthing crappy, if such a FR novel exists.

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  02:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Everyone: I would like to read somthing by R.A Salvatore, I would mostly like to read about a person adn not a god for now, and gennerally I just wanted to know a good book that I should read, so that I don't have to read somthing crappy, if such a FR novel exists.

Yes, well, everyone's opinion of "crappy" differs. I, for instance, stay as far away as I can from Spellfire and a number of other books. If you crave R.A. Salvatore, then you might enjoy the Cleric Quintet. (Although, considering some of his characters' invincibility, that might just contradict your wanting to read about a person rather than a god, ahaha.)
Go to Top of Page

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  03:08:06  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Everis Cale Trilogy(Twilight Falling) by Paul S Kemp
Song & Sword, Starlight & Shadow or Councillors & Kings series by Elaine Cunningham
The City of Ravens by Richard Baker
"Venom's Taste" by Lisa Smedman
The Moonshae Trilogy by Douglas Niles {good luck finding this series, but well worth it}

"You had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
-Winston Churchill- (to Neville Chamberlain)

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
-William Shakespeare, "As You Like It", Act 5 scene 1

He who will not reason is a bigot. He who cannot is a fool. and he who dares not is a slave.
-Sir William Drummond-

Edited by - Magic Matt on 24 Mar 2004 14:48:26
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  05:29:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cleric Quintet than. I believe no gods are featured. I know someone personally who read it and she enjoyed the series. I have no idea myself, even her recommendation did nothing to motivate me to give it a go.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  09:07:28  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, here's a quick run-down of my opinion of CQ (note: opinion, mine alone, take it or leave it as you will):

1. The use of dwarves as comic relief -- angers me. (You don't want to know my opinion of Peter Jackson's portrayal of Gimli. Dear gods, he's a stout, steadfast dwarf, not a mentally retarded Neanderthal!) At first, it was somewhat cute. Almost amusing, even, but as the series progresses on, the same jokes are repeated again and again -- the Bouldershoulder brothers can get really old really fast. After a while, it reminds me of Tasselhoff Burrfoot: forced comic relief. Pikel seems to be so eccentric just for the sake of being an exception, and falls rather flat. (Also goes in the "mentally retarded Neanderthal" category, just with druidic flare and considerably less maturity.) If you like the portrayal of dwarves in RAS' other books, you'll likely have no problem with this.

2. Spoiler (highlight to read): "Luke, I am your father!" moment. Hohoho.

3. Kierkan Rufo -- worst antagonist I've read about. Ever. He's pathetic, he's physically unattractive, he's spineless, he's a total and utter failure in his competition with Cadderly (including clerical abilities, winning love of a woman, et all). He's used throughout the books by bigger fish (except for the last book), but that doesn't excuse the fact that he's the Loser of the Century(TM). You see, it seems to me that Rufo's only goal in existence is to look as bad as possible, so that Cadderly can look better. Unnecessary, IMO. Even Wormtongue has something going for him for being manipulative, but Rufo? Cardboard cut-out with no redeeming quality whatsoever. Spoiler: his vampirism made me bash my head against the nearest wall. Even then, he wasn't scary; he was still just a stereotypical vampiric villain -- including the "I'll make the woman I lust after a vampire so she can be with me eternally!" cliche.

4. Spoiler: Semi-unhappy ending: probably the thing I like best about this series -- Cadderly becomes prematurely old after building a cathedral to his god. Unfortunately, it's spoiled when, later, he regains his youth and all's well once more. Sigh.

5. Danica -- I don't know why, but most of RAS' female characters tickle me the wrong way. This is personal reference, of course. All of them feel stilted and unnatural to me. Reminds me a bit of princess Leia in the more badly-written Star Wars novels. Danica, in particular, reminds me somewhat of Leia as portrayed in The Courtship of Princess Leia. I'm being extremely vague, of course, unless you've read Courtship, so you can just ignore this point.

6. Cadderly -- I find him more complex than, say, Drizzt. He was quite fun to read about in the first book, but IMO devolves in the later books into an invincible, arrogant priest.

Edited by - Winterfox on 24 Mar 2004 09:08:18
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  12:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Winterfox, just a quick question for you..... what are your 5 favorite FR novels? Surely you must enjoy a least a few of them to stay a Realms fan?!

Back to the subject of this topic - im almost finished with Venoms Taste and read City of Ravens just before that, so before The Rage comes out, id like to read another of the Cities books - does anyone have any recommendations as to which one to go for between Temple Hill and Jewel of Turmish. Reasons too, please.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  12:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Hi Winterfox, just a quick question for you..... what are your 5 favorite FR novels? Surely you must enjoy a least a few of them to stay a Realms fan?!

Most certainly. No need for the exclamation mark.

1. Songs & Swords series by EC -- for obvious reason. Danilo, Arilyn, Elaith, et all are all marvelously written characters.

2. Counselor & King trilogy by EC -- I like political intrigue, what can I say? Great plot, rich setting (Halruaa explored in detail at last!), and entertaining characters. None of which is invincible and/or perfect.

3. Starlight & Shadows trilogy by EC -- fun, strong female lead with flaws. And she doesn't angst about morals/the evil of her people a whole lot, either.

4. War of the Spider Queen series by various authors (yes, I'm even aware that RAS is involved in it. See? I don't selectively dislike work because of the author -- it's the writing, always, not the author) -- drow. Evil. No angst about "My people are sooo evil! I cannot be accepted on the surface! Waaah!" either. Not so far, anyway. Good characterization, wonderful writing (yay Mr. Lee Byers!), unpredictable plot.

5. The Shattered Mask by Richard Lee Byers -- I wuv Shamur. To little bits. A mature strong female lead. Actually in her forties! (Or fifties?) And no elven/planar blood to make her look like a teenager, either. People just don't write about "old" protagonists in fantasy -- that's, like, so not glamourous. Psst.

And on and on. Evermeet: Island of Elves, Finder's Stone trilogy (and the sequels, Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck), Lord of Stormweather.
Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  14:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Narad:I live in Norway, and I know the problem about stores, but since I live in the capital city there is one store which sells the Books. But if I want a spesiall book I will mostly have to buy it, and then I order it in my local bookstore, and then I don't have to pay for shipping it.

I wish I'd be as lucky as you...
Go to Top of Page

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  14:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Well, here's a quick run-down of my opinion of CQ (note: opinion, mine alone, take it or leave it as you will):

1. The use of dwarves as comic relief -- angers me. (You don't want to know my opinion of Peter Jackson's portrayal of Gimli. Dear gods, he's a stout, steadfast dwarf, not a mentally retarded Neanderthal!) At first, it was somewhat cute. Almost amusing, even, but as the series progresses on, the same jokes are repeated again and again -- the Bouldershoulder brothers can get really old really fast. After a while, it reminds me of Tasselhoff Burrfoot: forced comic relief. Pikel seems to be so eccentric just for the sake of being an exception, and falls rather flat. (Also goes in the "mentally retarded Neanderthal" category, just with druidic flare and considerably less maturity.) If you like the portrayal of dwarves in RAS' other books, you'll likely have no problem with this.

2. Spoiler (highlight to read): "Luke, I am your father!" moment. Hohoho.

3. Kierkan Rufo -- worst antagonist I've read about. Ever. He's pathetic, he's physically unattractive, he's spineless, he's a total and utter failure in his competition with Cadderly (including clerical abilities, winning love of a woman, et all). He's used throughout the books by bigger fish (except for the last book), but that doesn't excuse the fact that he's the Loser of the Century(TM). You see, it seems to me that Rufo's only goal in existence is to look as bad as possible, so that Cadderly can look better. Unnecessary, IMO. Even Wormtongue has something going for him for being manipulative, but Rufo? Cardboard cut-out with no redeeming quality whatsoever. Spoiler: his vampirism made me bash my head against the nearest wall. Even then, he wasn't scary; he was still just a stereotypical vampiric villain -- including the "I'll make the woman I lust after a vampire so she can be with me eternally!" cliche.

4. Spoiler: Semi-unhappy ending: probably the thing I like best about this series -- Cadderly becomes prematurely old after building a cathedral to his god. Unfortunately, it's spoiled when, later, he regains his youth and all's well once more. Sigh.

5. Danica -- I don't know why, but most of RAS' female characters tickle me the wrong way. This is personal reference, of course. All of them feel stilted and unnatural to me. Reminds me a bit of princess Leia in the more badly-written Star Wars novels. Danica, in particular, reminds me somewhat of Leia as portrayed in The Courtship of Princess Leia. I'm being extremely vague, of course, unless you've read Courtship, so you can just ignore this point.

6. Cadderly -- I find him more complex than, say, Drizzt. He was quite fun to read about in the first book, but IMO devolves in the later books into an invincible, arrogant priest.

Wow, that is the perfect review of that series, I am stunned and amazed that you got my feelings exactly for CQ WOW!

"You had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
-Winston Churchill- (to Neville Chamberlain)

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
-William Shakespeare, "As You Like It", Act 5 scene 1

He who will not reason is a bigot. He who cannot is a fool. and he who dares not is a slave.
-Sir William Drummond-
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  15:16:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for the post. The spoiler in #4 was enough to covince me I made the correct decision on this series.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  15:18:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, but Rad is a senior scribe and they are used to using exclamation points as if they are in command.

Plus, he's from the UK, and didn't they use to run the world? I'm surprised he doesn't end each of his posts with a series of !!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  17:23:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Songs and Swords. Deffinately.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  17:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Ah, but Rad is a senior scribe and they are used to using exclamation points as if they are in command.

Plus, he's from the UK, and didn't they use to run the world? I'm surprised he doesn't end each of his posts with a series of !!!!

Now where did I put my Union Jack flag?! !..with an FR logo sewn on top of course

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 24 Mar 2004 17:52:36
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  02:36:28  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Multiple exclamation marks = wearing underpants on your head, donchaknow. (Ahem. Terry Pratchett fan, anyone?)

Magic Matt: I read your mind, you see. And also stalk you. Hohoho.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  06:03:09  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im with VEDSICA here,

I totally adore the Threat from the Sea Trilogy by Mel Odom, although i've not read the last book yet. Im working on it though...

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  07:58:30  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I will chose the Cleric quinted for now, but I would like to read somthing which is alittle comical to, but not the old regular fantasy humor: Make fun of the short one. Somthing like terry Prathcett would be fun. Are there such FR novels?

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000