Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Mundane Items Every Adventurer Needs...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Callmegene
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  12:36:34  Show Profile Send Callmegene a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, since I am getting into the game for the first time since I cut my last wisdom tooth, I am compiling a list of non-magical, what could be essential items for a dungeon crawl. Needless to say, if you have followed Wooly Rupert's tales, I am ensuring that people NOT take alchemist's fire. Also, for those who are familiar with it, I am using "Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog" for inspiration...
So far I have:
1) (Collapsible)10' pole for checking floor/ceiling traps or at the very least, tickling oozes and lurkers.
2) Caltrops/Ball Bearings for when discretion really is the better part of valor.
3) Bag of Flour for when you count five sets of foot steps, hear four, and suspect that the bard did not just goose you.
4) Pitons for securing rope and doors shut.
5) Chalk for marking passageways or scrawling 'Durendal was here'
6) Collapsible grappling hook, for climbing and it makes Batman look kewl
7) Rope for said pitons and grappling hooks (otherwise you just look silly UNLIKE Batman)
8) Fishhook
9) Twine
10) Bell (For when you want to set a simple trip wire, or your character has taken ill, and you want to irritate people every time you need something)
11) Candles, for reading maps, because I am under the impression that you cannot read maps with dark vision unless special ink is used
Also, my character is a Dwarven cleric, so if need be, he also has throwing hammers and axes, but suggestions are welcome.

Edited by - Callmegene on 16 Mar 2016 12:37:06

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  14:02:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang it, you beat me to the punch -- I was going to suggest the alchemist's fire, for obvious reasons!

Though it's rarely ever come up (even back in 2E), if my character has a bladed weapon, he's got a whetstone.

I generally get at least one extra belt pouch more than I need. I figure at least a couple for stuff like coins, small handy objects, etc, and then I add at least one more.

You obviously need a pack, too. More than one change of clothes, as well, unless you want to stink and be on a first-name basis with your fleas... Though, like encumbrance, matters of hygiene are usually ignored in RPGs. (My toons generally have a couple of changes of clothes, anyway)

And torches, unless you're relying on darkvision or magic.

Don't forget about sleep. Depending on the toon and the starting gold, you'll need at least a blanket and/or bedroll. A tent has obvious uses, as well. You can always splurge on a hammock, if that's suitable for the character.

A lot of groups will designate someone as the mapmaker, so someone in the party will need ink and parchment.

And again, depending on starting gold, a mount or pack animal (I've mentioned that my current gaming group has a guy who gets every one of his characters a donkey named Hoté -- yes, "Donkey Ho-tay".)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  14:13:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see how some people hate it, but I always loved detailing the exact gear my characters carried. As Wooly mentioned above, having a blade but no whetstone can get you into trouble quickly ... perhaps even a creative DM could give that character a -1 to damage since their blade is dull.

Aurora's is a fantastic supplement for any edition of D&D.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  16:07:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always found that kind minutiae to be quite tedious and take up valuable space on a CS. Do I really need to write down an extra pair of socks?I've never RP'd changing them.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 16 Mar 2016 16:15:34
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  16:44:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You need a hammer to install the pitons (A was hammer is too large and awkward)
A pry bar can be useful for breaking open doors and trapped chests.
A saw blade because you might need to cut metal.
Nails also might be useful, can secure doors or hold open.
Tinder box, flint and steel might come in handy for starting fires.
Acid might be considered, however there is risk of breakage, to deals with metal bars and some oozes.
Needle and thread for clothing repair. (If large party carry some equipment for amor repair might be considered.)

The list clearly can become longer depending on skills character has and the types of encounters likely to occur.

As for the comment about pair of socks, that likely too much detail however at least one change of clothe might be added to list.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  17:07:59  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Aurora's Whole Realms catalogue is definitely one of my favourite products for a great list of many mundane items.

You can never have too much cheese and alcohol detailed...

I for one love having lists of possessions - If it's too much for a character sheet my players would normally store notes, maps, etc. in a small folder. Each to their own I would guess?

A description of the item isn't always essential but I find it does add a bit more flavour. The player who I DM for at present loves detailing everything... and I do mean everything!

On Topic...
For any Dungeon Crawl you want a Canary... You need a small cage to contain it and some seed for provisions - You'll already be carrying potable water.
No one likes invisible noxious fumes and that's what Tweety's for...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  18:14:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I've always found that kind minutiae to be quite tedious and take up valuable space on a CS. Do I really need to write down an extra pair of socks?I've never RP'd changing them.

I don't list my inventory on a character sheet; I never have... Back in the days of 2E, I used a sheet of notebook paper. Now, I use a spreadsheet. I've got a tablet with a couple of Office clones on it, so that's easy enough. I also use the same spreadsheet (just different pages within it) for keeping particular notes handy, tracking my gold, planning future purchases, planning what to take for feats and abilities and such at the next level, etc.

My printed-out character sheet is the first page stuff: scores, skills, feats, combat numbers, etc.

Also, I keep clothing entries generic: outfits, cloaks, and any odd specifics like gloves or the heavy greatcoat my gun mage wore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Mar 2016 18:17:36
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2016 :  02:38:40  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alcohol and/or salt.

Can't tell you the amount of times my characters have been caught by the old russet mold spores crap and of course, you don't want to have to drink your acid.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2016 :  19:01:53  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one thing everyone forgets: Sacks! Lots of spare sacks. Waterproof bags if necessary.

How else will you transport all that treasure or all those priceless ancient books you found?

Belt pouches: how else do you keep all the small things like flint and steel handy?

Marbles: can help you escape when you need to retreat, also handy for rolling down corridors to see what happens (triggering traps).

Equipment maintenance kit: I like how you can take 80 points of damage but your armor never tears, rips or has holes in it. Well it doesn't work that way in my world.

Cold weather gear: the weather plays a huge role in my campaign. Just like in real life the weather can easily kill the unprepared.

Signal whistle: ever told someone to "wait for the signal", then realized no one knew what signal to wait for, nor did it occur to you how you would make said signal? Not everyone has cantrips. Also good for party members who get lost/separated. Creating diversions, etc.

Antitoxin: freely available why wouldn't everyone have at least one? You may not be able to make a heal check to see what poison/venom it is, but you don't need a skill to dump this down someone's throat.

Torches: your lantern WILL break, it's not if it's WHEN. Also my players learned early on that you don't want to be carrying lamp oil around when you fail your save vs a fireball.

The Pot: every group will have a need to prepare a communal meal, melt snow for water, boil water to treat wounds, use it as a helmet, etc.

Dice (preferably loaded): the best way to pass the time in camp is to play games of chance. If you can relieve your fellow party members of some spare coins, well even better.

Edited by - Cards77 on 21 Mar 2016 19:05:03
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2016 :  03:47:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every dwarf needs a hammer and an axe.

These things can be used to fashion a simple forge and tools, which in turn can be used to fashion a complex forge and tools, and with complex tools a dwarf can build anything - including better hammers and axes!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2016 :  04:21:40  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A sharpening stone for your blade if you cleave enough heads!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2016 :  13:06:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
soft pliable paper for one's underside. You won't believe how many friends you can make just by simply sharing this secret luxury.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2016 :  16:14:53  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Every dwarf needs a hammer and an axe.

These things can be used to fashion a simple forge and tools, which in turn can be used to fashion a complex forge and tools, and with complex tools a dwarf can build anything - including better hammers and axes!

With a beard comb and personal favorite tankard clipped to their travel pack!
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  08:17:36  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

The one thing everyone forgets: Sacks! Lots of spare sacks. Waterproof bags if necessary.

You beat me on this one. I was going to say exactly the same.

Also one thing our dm has always made sure we carry is soap. Because you could get violently ill if you dont wash your self after hacking and slashing all those monsters and/or people up.

Holywater is also sometimes really useful to have with you.

Food is other thing that nobody mentioned, it has its uses too...
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  12:48:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A woobie to wear.

A Blanket to sleep with, thy pack can be a pillow.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  14:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always find it odd that almost nowhere is mentioned such a simple tool as knife. Yes you could use a dagger but have you ever tried to cut a bread with stabbing combat dagger (historical)?
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  14:04:39  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Depending on the funds and connections, adamantine wire saw may be an option.
I'm reasonably sure the Sshamathans would be happy to sell silenced variety, but this of course would not be mundane (or cheap).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  00:47:23  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

I always find it odd that almost nowhere is mentioned such a simple tool as knife. Yes you could use a dagger but have you ever tried to cut a bread with stabbing combat dagger (historical)?

Real adventurers don't cut bread, we just tear it.

But yes we just assume that most people carry a "belt knife" just like many people carry a pocket knife in real life.

I like getting realist but I try not to go into TOO much obnoxious detail like "so PC how do you plan on cutting up those turnips for dinner?"

We've also started to employ a squire and cook to come with us on our adventures to take care of all the logistics whilst we take care of the monster killing and treasure finding.

We rely heavily on hunting for our food. In our game, we are VERY far afield and carrying enough food for more than a couple of days isn't realistic.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  13:01:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Depending on the funds and connections, adamantine wire saw may be an option.
I'm reasonably sure the Sshamathans would be happy to sell silenced variety, but this of course would not be mundane (or cheap).

Hmmmm, now that goodsir is an interesting idea. Question becomes how "coilable" would an adamantine wire saw be (i.e. does its strength also make it relatively stiff upon being formed), but I guess if you could get it thin enough....

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2016 :  14:23:24  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

Real adventurers don't cut bread, we just tear it.

But yes we just assume that most people carry a "belt knife" just like many people carry a pocket knife in real life.

I like getting realist but I try not to go into TOO much obnoxious detail like "so PC how do you plan on cutting up those turnips for dinner?"

We've also started to employ a squire and cook to come with us on our adventures to take care of all the logistics whilst we take care of the monster killing and treasure finding.

We rely heavily on hunting for our food. In our game, we are VERY far afield and carrying enough food for more than a couple of days isn't realistic.

Just like in final animation in Diablo I :-)

My PC's use wagon for traveling an extra heavy horse for reserve so they have plenty of capacity for supplies.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2016 :  15:21:52  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where we go a wagon cannot follow. We just rely on light and heavy horse. Losing horses to monsters and animals is a major problem. We've been stranded more than once. Bring extras!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2016 :  18:13:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like a mule, they can go places a horse can or will not. Though of course can lose them as well.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2016 :  00:03:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Where we go a wagon cannot follow. We just rely on light and heavy horse. Losing horses to monsters and animals is a major problem. We've been stranded more than once. Bring extras!

This is why there are various mount type spells for upper levels. You get tired of coming out of the cavern only to find some kobolds stewing your horse.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2016 :  03:15:00  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

This is why there are various mount type spells for upper levels. You get tired of coming out of the cavern only to find some kobolds stewing your horse.

Hence why we got a squire and a camp tender. They are to keep the horses safe. But I like it because it' always in the back of my players minds. They can't stop thinking about if the horses will be gone when they finally get back out.

It's a good time. I'm kinda sad now we are approaching 9th level so much of the travel will drop off.

Traveling is like 60% of my game and we have some many great memories of things that just happened randomly.
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  22:20:43  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We got tired of coming out of the cavern only to find some kobolds stewing our horses, so we got a squire to protect the horses.
Last time we came out of the cavern we found some kobolds stewing our horses and squire...

Edited by - Bulak on 16 May 2016 22:24:17
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2016 :  22:53:00  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bulak

We got tired of coming out of the cavern only to find some kobolds stewing our horses, so we got a squire to protect the horses.
Last time we came out of the cavern we found some kobolds stewing our horses and squire...

While they are not "items", henchmen are useful. They can protect the base camp while the adventurers are exploring the nearby ruin, dungeon, or whatnot.

- Ryan

Edited by - Rymac on 17 May 2016 00:56:11
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2016 :  08:36:23  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac
While they are not "items", henchmen are useful. They can protect the base camp while the adventurers are exploring the nearby ruin, dungeon, or whatnot.

You're right of course, I was just joking.
On a similar note, donkeys (or other animals of the appropriate size and weight) make excellent trap detectors.

Another useful item: a (small) mirror. You can use it to look around corners, for long distance signaling in the right cirumstances, to trick a medusa, and to check if your haircut survived the last battle.

Edited by - Bulak on 17 May 2016 08:38:34
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2016 :  19:56:40  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77 I'm kinda sad now we are approaching 9th level so much of the travel will drop off.

Hmm… what happens to your PCs at level 9 that prevents them from traveling much any more? Do they all suddenly get the Teleport and Fly spell?? Or does the DM decide to bestow them each a Skyship at level 9?

I once GM'ed a Traveller campaign. When the PCs got to a certain experience level where they all could afford to purchase (expensive) Grav Belts… they essentially never walked any more. They used the grav belts to fly at will.

Edited by - moonbeast on 19 Jun 2016 19:58:39
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2016 :  22:54:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77 I'm kinda sad now we are approaching 9th level so much of the travel will drop off.

Hmm… what happens to your PCs at level 9 that prevents them from traveling much any more? Do they all suddenly get the Teleport and Fly spell?? Or does the DM decide to bestow them each a Skyship at level 9?

I once GM'ed a Traveller campaign. When the PCs got to a certain experience level where they all could afford to purchase (expensive) Grav Belts… they essentially never walked any more. They used the grav belts to fly at will.

Well is some games, reaching 9th level the PCs gain followers and tend to need to set up a domain of some kind. Once a PC has a tower, a guild, tower, glade, or a temple their obligations change. They have territory to protect.
Clearly not all PCs gather followers or establish a base of operations.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2017 :  03:38:44  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bulak

Not much of a squire if he can't even run off some kobolds....
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2017 :  03:42:05  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

the wizard gets teleport, and everyone generally has numerous ways to drastically reduce travel or eliminate it completely.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000