Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Moonblades
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  17:30:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why did no one mention this part of the moonbladr history when i was musing over an evil origin to moonblades. Its perfect.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2016 :  13:00:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Why did no one mention this part of the moonbladr history when i was musing over an evil origin to moonblades. Its perfect.

It didn't occur to me, because the context of an evil origin isn't something I've ever considered so my mind simply didn't go there.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2016 :  14:55:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Elaine, i should have been clearer as the question wasnt really directed at you, but to other scribes that contributed to a scroll i had created about moonblades long before the dms guild began.

The crux was that malkizid engineered the creation of Evermeet (from GHoTR), and therefore the moonblades may have been engineered secretly by his agents as well. Thus giving the blades an overt goodly origin but a secret evil purpose.

I had suggested that the whole king maker ritual had been a farce or a corruption called early by malkizid to further divide the elves (which could be the blades true purpose), and that such an event may happen again and choose another king to cause more strife.

People didnt like the idea, stating it outright contradicted canon, but no one mentioned the quote above which fitted my idea perfectly.

Anyways, ill stop hijacking the scroll now. My apologies.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  02:16:17  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The crux was that malkizid engineered the creation of Evermeet (from GHoTR), and therefore the moonblades may have been engineered secretly by his agents as well. Thus giving the blades an overt goodly origin but a secret evil purpose.

I had suggested that the whole king maker ritual had been a farce or a corruption called early by malkizid to further divide the elves (which could be the blades true purpose), and that such an event may happen again and choose another king to cause more strife.

You did not demonstrate the connection. The whole deal with moonblades does not follow from creation of Evermeet. Nor does inherently require it.
To connect it, you'd have to postulate that Malkizid manipulated Ethlando into this bright idea… and that the Seldarine didn't notice anything amiss (such as that they never sent any relevant visions to the seer believed to be inspired by them into something that affects their faithful in a whole world) when they gave this project their blessing.
Even then, this solution was accepted exactly because the division was a problem already. And if Moonblades were part of a plan to divide the elves any more, this plan was proven completely useless. Cormanthyr, for one, had it much worse. And why would it not be so?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  03:32:08  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea is not entirely without merit, and since history in FR is pretty fluid, AND since we only have a tiny (like 5 minute) glimpse of Ethlando - there is nothing that contradicts such a plot twist in your home campaign.

I personally liked Malkazid as the evil lurker in the shadows of the Crown Wars - but am not a huge fan of him being behind pretty much every major problem the elves have had. It is by far more interesting for interracial strife to be its own evil - it doesn't need a devil to blame. Toss in interspecies conflicts (humans/dwarves/dragons/demihumans) and the elves have enough problems.

Moreover - he is basically just a grumpy solar; and there are several of the morally upright solars who serve the Seldarine. Why would one of these not spend its time countering old scar face? There is simply no good answer to that. :)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  07:08:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry again, just a bit more thread derailment.

Firstly lets leave the gods out of a debate because for every god you say wont allow it, i have 10 evil gods who will do anything to make it happen. Gods dont do anything, they are like management, they just take the credit.

Im not suggesting some mustachioed evil maniac secretly make the blades and stick evil in it. Im suggesting everyone was blinded by their own righteousness and the goodness of the idea.

The blades only pick good virtues in people, they help those people with great powers, and in the end they pick the goodest king. Nothing evil there.

Ethlando was being entirely good in his purpose to make the blades.

The only problem is his unconscious racism towarda gold elves that everyone felt at the time.

The only input malkizid had was to suggest the idea to ethlando in the first placr with a dream or by leaving an old manuscript lying around that ethlando decided would be better if he did it for good elves rather than those of house vyshaan.

So no evil took place. No evil is in the blade. No evil is involved in its making. Its all good. But malkizid holds the key to invoking the kingmaker ritual and knows how to manipulate and reset it.

It may not even be malkizid who messes with the ritual to promote strife. The starym sword likely corrupted the whole magic of the blades so who knows what will be happening now.

A major theme of high magic ia that there are always unintended consequences. This should be no different.

Plus i love making everything a mix of good and evil. As you say everything should be a battle ground and no side should win. So good guys do a good thing, but evil should always mess with it somehow.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  10:03:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Firstly lets leave the gods out of a debate because for every god you say wont allow it, i have 10 evil gods who will do anything to make it happen. Gods dont do anything, they are like management, they just take the credit.

Leave the gods out of something they have a direct interest in?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  11:31:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if you can detail which part of the ritual they performed or in the words of Troy "and how many armies will the gods provide", they it makes sense to discuss that participation.

But if Ethlando and the other high mages performed the ritual then the gods involvement is theoretical.

That wasnt my point though really. The argument is always that the gods wont allow it but i can point to gods that will allow it. So who wins. If i can name more gods that will provide their power to allpw something bad then surely the evil gods win. Either way saying xxxx god wont allow it is a poor argument, they allowed the crown wars, they allowed the corruption of the starym blade, they allowed the fall of myth drannor, the destruction of rystall wood, the destruction of uvaeren, the unleashing of ityak elfeater, the death of zaor.

If the gods in their mysterious ways would allow all that destruction and interfering of their plans then why not allow the moonblades to go a bit wonky.

I can only conclude from the sheer number of horrible events that have occured, that either the gods are powerless (either because they are metaphysical beings and can take no direct actions, or because any other number of myriad gods oppose their actions), or they dont like or care about their subjects all that much.

Either way the gods do not allow it seems an inconsistent argument at best because they are so fickle you just dont know what they will allow.

Therefore for sanity reasons alone they are best left out of it. If i can find a plausible way to use the moonblades for evil then why should it not be possible. And using peoples own goodie two shoes tendencies against them is a deliciously evil way to corrupt a purpose.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  13:03:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry Elaine, i should have been clearer as the question wasnt really directed at you, but to other scribes that contributed to a scroll i had created about moonblades long before the dms guild began.

People didnt like the idea, stating it outright contradicted canon, but no one mentioned the quote above which fitted my idea perfectly.

Anyways, ill stop hijacking the scroll now. My apologies.

No worries. I'm not sure this scroll CAN be hijacked, as long as the discussion is tangentially related to moonblades.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 31 Aug 2016 13:05:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  13:51:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well if you can detail which part of the ritual they performed or in the words of Troy "and how many armies will the gods provide", they it makes sense to discuss that participation.

But if Ethlando and the other high mages performed the ritual then the gods involvement is theoretical.

That wasnt my point though really. The argument is always that the gods wont allow it but i can point to gods that will allow it. So who wins. If i can name more gods that will provide their power to allpw something bad then surely the evil gods win. Either way saying xxxx god wont allow it is a poor argument, they allowed the crown wars, they allowed the corruption of the starym blade, they allowed the fall of myth drannor, the destruction of rystall wood, the destruction of uvaeren, the unleashing of ityak elfeater, the death of zaor.

If the gods in their mysterious ways would allow all that destruction and interfering of their plans then why not allow the moonblades to go a bit wonky.

I can only conclude from the sheer number of horrible events that have occured, that either the gods are powerless (either because they are metaphysical beings and can take no direct actions, or because any other number of myriad gods oppose their actions), or they dont like or care about their subjects all that much.

Either way the gods do not allow it seems an inconsistent argument at best because they are so fickle you just dont know what they will allow.

Therefore for sanity reasons alone they are best left out of it. If i can find a plausible way to use the moonblades for evil then why should it not be possible. And using peoples own goodie two shoes tendencies against them is a deliciously evil way to corrupt a purpose.

There's a heck of a difference between the fall of a city, or the death of a ruler, or even allowing elves to kill each other, and a divine plan to select leadership. You're arguing that the gods would deliberately set something in motion and then not even pay attention to see if it goes according to plan.

With the exception of the Ityak Ortheel and the corruption of the Starym moonblade, everything you refer to was done by elves, to elves, and inspired solely by those elves. (Yes, even the fall of Myth Drannor -- if they had kept their lore better, or chosen a better key, or even policed themselves better, the Trio Nefarious would not have been released).

The Elf-Eater is a different case, because it's not connected to elven deities. The elven gods can't keep a non-elven god from doing something in his or her purview.

The Seldarine chose to get involved in who would rule the elves. That's very much something in their purview. And that's very much something they are going to keep an eye on, particularly with High Magic having been involved in the creation of the moonblades.

As for the Starym moonblade, that one is a one-off. It's a single blade, not the entire lot of them. And it was corrupted after it was made, not during the creation. Moander's gig is corruption, and he even corrupted a deity, once, without that deity noticing. So him being able to corrupt a moonblade is very much in keeping with all existing lore.

Further, with it being a one-off, it's much more likely to be overlooked -- there were hundreds of other moonblades at the time. If more were corrupted, it would dramatically increase the odds of being noticed. And once there are fewer blades, there would be increased scrutiny on the remaining ones -- especially if it wound up in the hands of the ruling family.

If I had to spin a tale around corrupting the intent of the moonblades' creation, I'd go with the Moander angle, with him and his followers working to corrupt the blades one at a time, over a period of centuries. But even that approach is problematic...

And in a setting where the gods are known to be active and to happily interfere far too oft, you can't just handwave their involvement out the window or play the "no gods can do anything because of other gods" card -- a card that prior Realmslore has repeatedly shown to be invalid.

It's better to spin something entirely new, rather than try to force something existing into a mold it simply wasn't made to fit.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  14:34:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well we will have to disagree here. As i said before the elves made the blades, the elves cast the ritual, what did the god do precisely.

Elves didnt destroy rystall wood, other creatures did. I suppose if the elves looked after themselves better we could blame it on them. Elves didnt destroy uvaeren, a whopping big meteor did, but if they had placed their realm better it wouldnt have happened. Conversely, if i follow my idea to the end, malkizid didnt corrupt the moonblades purpose, he merely prompted an idea and allowed the elves own elitism to turn it into a force for strife and division.

I never hand waive anything out of existence (unless its really awful), i just provide an alternate spin. The gods claiming all the credit for the actions of mortals i put down to an awful lot of spin. Kind of how in the bible lots of events are attributed to a deity but in actual fact are just rare natural phenomena (Noahs tale being the separation of spain and africa in gibraltar, the colour of the red sea being down to a proloferation of insects, etc, etc).

So if the elves messed up through their own elitist racism against their own racial subdivisions then that must be allowed because Bane likes strife, Shar likes loss, Gruumsh hates the elves, Lolth hates the elves, etc, etc.

I fail to see how Corellon can stop the moonblades if Malkizid was involved (by arranging for a bit of paper to be found by ethlando which gives him the idea for the moonblades) when everything else is the same as it was before, its just that the idea was an evil one instead of a good one.

If Corellon is so involved with the moonblades why didnt he just magic them into existence himself, that way no evil could be involved. Why did he need the elves to do anything. If he is so all powerful that he can see the future and the past with such perfect clarity as to divine the involvement of any evil in his plans then why does anything ever go wrong.

The god argument is really tired and old and beyond a few myths and legends that people take as gospel truth (reality is not that different from fiction in that regard), i fail to see how it has persisted for so long.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  17:05:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one ever said the gods are all-knowing and all-powerful. And saying they'd keep an eye on things is not saying they are omniscient.

The god argument persists in the Realms because the gods are active and make sure mortals know it.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  18:02:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then it must be our definitions of active that differ. Corellon's faithful servants helped make the moonblades and gather together the clans in cooperation so the ritual would bind all elves together.

Whereas malkizid and his followers planted the detail of the original idea on some forgotten parchment in a vyshaan ruin and then left a clue pointing to the location of ancient lore.

No one was inactive and i dont doubt agents of the seldarine carefully guarded the place where the moonblades were made and the ritual was performed (just as the servants of lolth were trying to infiltrate and sabotage things). But Corellon didnt turn up and cast the ritual, nor did gruumsh himself turn up to smash the puny elves, nor lolth cast her own anti ritual to deliberately corrupt things. If such events happened with actual divine beings turning up and stomping all over the place in their size 9000 shoes then everything would just turn into 1385 every day.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  19:14:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then it must be our definitions of active that differ. Corellon's faithful servants helped make the moonblades and gather together the clans in cooperation so the ritual would bind all elves together.

Whereas malkizid and his followers planted the detail of the original idea on some forgotten parchment in a vyshaan ruin and then left a clue pointing to the location of ancient lore.

No one was inactive and i dont doubt agents of the seldarine carefully guarded the place where the moonblades were made and the ritual was performed (just as the servants of lolth were trying to infiltrate and sabotage things). But Corellon didnt turn up and cast the ritual, nor did gruumsh himself turn up to smash the puny elves, nor lolth cast her own anti ritual to deliberately corrupt things. If such events happened with actual divine beings turning up and stomping all over the place in their size 9000 shoes then everything would just turn into 1385 every day.

High Magic was used to create the moonblades. And Corellon is in charge of High Magic.

Further, we have this from Cormanthyr, in the description of the High Magic ritual used to create magic items:

quote:
The priests involved in this ritual invoke their gods' attentions and patronage to the working, while the High Mages perform the ritual to bind the summoned power to the items. Sometimes, the gods themselves directly infuse powers into the items that are not invoked by the priests or High Mages, and these often become the relics of that god's religion.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  19:47:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So their attention and patronage was summoned, but it doesnt say if they gave it. We had a similar process on earth where someone would offer money or a service to the church and in return they would bless whatever they requested thus giving it the gods attention and patronage. Why does it have to be different on faerun. Why does a blessing have to involve the god turning up. Why does it mean that when attention is given Corellon and the justice league wont let anyone play with their favourite toys.

And the second bit of that quote sounded more generic than specific to the moonblades. Are any of the moonblades considered relics of corellons church? If not then it sounds like he had no direct part in their creation, he just gave his approval like a manager signing off a new investment.

If he isnt all powerful and isnt all knowing, and didnt turn up to directly scrutinise the whole process, then why is it inconceivable that the moonblades purpose be twisted towards evil. Good intentions can be twisted towards evil without any actual involvement from evil people. What exactly is he supposed to turn up and stop if all that is happening is what the moonblades were designed for in the beginning (pick a ruler who is just and generous and good and thus probably not a gold elf).

I have very active gods in my realms, but no god ever turns up in person, and avatars only turn up when summoned and the need is great. Everything else is done by proxy and dream and signs and servants.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  22:54:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is it so inconceivable to you that gods can't act unless they are omniscient, omnipotent, and/or present? Especially given that Realmslore has established, repeatedly, that gods can take action without meeting any of those criteria?

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  00:48:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why ask why? Try Bud Dry.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  15:52:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many many reasons.

Just a few include:

In order for a settinh to work as a gaming world it has to allow for the suspension of disbelief. There have to be rules to the setting that are followed in order for players to understand and be immersed. Deities actually wandering around breaks that immersion. A deity operates through avatars, an avatar is usually powerful enough to disintegrate an opponent at a touch or glance. Just witnessing a gods appearance would probably be enough to kill a mortal yet it doesnt happen.
An avatar is usually immune to most forms of attack yet these gods wandering around seem to be as frail as paper.
If you had 9 or 10 avatars at your disposal why would you do anything in person and would it even be possible to occupy a 3 dimensional body and still keep track of all your other responsibilities (including up to 10 avatars for treater gods).

A gods appearance in person is yet another step on the ladder of 'escalating pew pew guns for coolness'. It began with chosen, then avatars, then gods in person and overgods. And now we are stuck with novels and supplements that involve a daily grind of the world being threatened by super beings and the mortals seem to have to clear it all up despite gods just wandering around interfering in their favourite toys and people and ignoring everything else.

Number 3 is that almost every event involving direct deific involvement has been spectacularly mishandled. The powers and abilities are way off, with gods being offed by mortals. Gods behaving in ways completely contrary to their supposed personality, and acting in ways that makes no sense for a god to act.
For instance lolths silence, lolth goes silent, lets most of her worshippers die, eilistraee acts schizophrenically bizarre. And in the end the whole line of events must have been so bad it was completely ignored by any future line of product.
Dont get me started on the events of 1385 when the deities involved suddenly turned into the Brady bunch.
In general anything involving a god acting in person usually portrays that god as incredibly stupid and short sighted (mielikki and all orcs are evil), such that i regard anything involving gods as a really bad episode of home and away.

And finally. Ed doesnt use the gods in this way. They are behind the scenes movers and shakers, manipulating events by proxy rather than turning up directly. If a god ever did turn up in his games i bet it would be an avatar and not the actual divinity.

I much prefer Eds original vision to the travesty that WoTC serves up.

If a god ever did turn up directly i imagine he would be in serious danger. While he is on the mortal realm who is looking after his divine realm, who is seeing to the affairs of his followers, who is furthering his divine plans, who is controlling his avatars and manifestations.

Furthermore if a god is killed on the mortal realm what happens. A demon or devil is banished for years (or destroyed depending on edition). At the least it would probably take a while for the shattered divinity to gather himself togethwr and retreat home. Meanwhile his enemies get to wreck his plans in his absence.

Thus if a god ever did come to the prime in person then every enemy god that hears of such an event would also turn up to try and kill him.
Thus its much safer to send an avatar.

It makes no sense as far as the rules are concerned and it makes no sense as far as the motivations of a super intelligent divine being is concerned to turn up in person.

Thats the short version. There is lots more. Am i the only one that dislikes the gods turning up in person and doing everything themselves (leaving nothing for PCs to do).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  17:53:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two things:

1) Ed didn't create moonblades

2) No one -- not one person -- has even implied that Corellon showed up to personally do his thing. You're the only one who is making involvement in something be contingent on physical presence. And this is contrary to so much Realmslore that it's not funny.

So again, why is it so inconceivable that gods can't act unless they are present?

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  18:20:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if you are happy for gods to act by proxy and through intermediaries then we have no issue.

Unless of course gods are all powerful and can cast magic through planar boundaries.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  20:10:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless of course gods are all powerful and can cast magic through planar boundaries.

They can obviously cast magic through planar boundaries without being all-powerful. Again, it's canon Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  20:40:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But it doesn't follow the rules. If gods break the rules then the immersion is also broken. And a god that can do anything from anywhere seems pretty all powerful to me.

As long as people stop telling me that god X wont allow Y to happen then I will stop pointing out the inconsistencies and deficiencies in the current deific model as touted by WoTC (Cyric stabs Mystra. The second sundering. Shar and Lolth in their umpteenth attempt to destroy the world.).

The original argument was that I reckon I have a plausible way to make the Moonblades service evil (without actually changing anything about them). And the counter argument was that the gods wouldn't allow it. If they aren't all knowing and all powerful and can't find anything wrong with the whole thing (because it is the same as before; a series of blades designed to pick the best possible ruler for the elves) then how or why would they stop it short of just waiving their hands and instantly knowing that there was something wrong in the world.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2016 :  23:12:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually like that wrinkle Dazzler. I find it interesting that the Moonblades could have been born in corruption without the Elves ever knowing it. Whatever works in your Realms...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  03:53:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But it doesn't follow the rules. If gods break the rules then the immersion is also broken. And a god that can do anything from anywhere seems pretty all powerful to me.

How? Where does it say a god has to be physically present to do something? Given me a direct quote from a sourcebook that says gods can't affect anything unless they are actually on scene.

Besides, if that was the case, gods wouldn't have divine realms, because they'd be popping around the Realms 24/10 just granting spells to their worshippers!

We have plenty of canon lore that shows gods influencing things and acting on the Prime without being there. Heck, the three deity books of 2E had a section for each deity explaining how they interact with the mortal world from afar!

quote:

As long as people stop telling me that god X wont allow Y to happen then I will stop pointing out the inconsistencies and deficiencies in the current deific model as touted by WoTC (Cyric stabs Mystra. The second sundering. Shar and Lolth in their umpteenth attempt to destroy the world.).

If someone wants to point out where something violates canon lore, they're free to do so.

The only inconsistency I've seen yet is that you seem to think gods are either all-powerful or absolutely powerless -- and that's inconsistent with just about every bit of Realmslore that has even mentioned deities.

quote:

The original argument was that I reckon I have a plausible way to make the Moonblades service evil (without actually changing anything about them). And the counter argument was that the gods wouldn't allow it. If they aren't all knowing and all powerful and can't find anything wrong with the whole thing (because it is the same as before; a series of blades designed to pick the best possible ruler for the elves) then how or why would they stop it short of just waiving their hands and instantly knowing that there was something wrong in the world.

But you are changing things about them. Saying a divine vision for a good cause was actually a scrap of paper from a fiend for evil purposes counts as changing things.

And gods don't have to be all-knowing to know what's going on with something they're interested in. Why is it so hard to imagine that they can actually focus their attention in a particular direction?

Again, it is canon Realmslore that deities are not all-knowing, but they are capable of paying attention to multiple things at once -- they operate on a scale far beyond the mortal mind.

By saying they can't know anything at all if they are not omniscient, you are willfully and deliberately ignoring damn near everything that's ever being written about the gods.

If that's how you want to do things in your own Realms, hey, more power to you. But stop trying to convince the rest of us that canon material is wrong simply because you don't like it.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  07:07:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you could provide me the point where it says that Corellon will not allow any evil involvement with his precious moonblades (rather than just inference and supposition of a quote) and i will stop arguin that actually its perfectly possible for evil to interfere in any scheme because corellon is not all powerful or all knowing and the lack of actions in the past at critical event for the elves backs up the idea that evil can influence anything just like good can.

It works both ways. I have only opinion that it can work my way and you have only opinion that it can work the other way. So why should i concede the point just because you prefer the other way.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 02 Sep 2016 08:19:37
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  07:22:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive seen more than a few good ideas ended abruptly when someone said "this god wouldnt allow that". So in response im asking how would he know and how would he stop it. I could also ask why they think he wouldnt allow it but that will be a conjectured argument.

Now lets give elaine her scroll back.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 02 Sep 2016 07:24:02
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  14:40:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No worries--you guys can have the scroll. :)

I grew up in the Seventh-day Adventist church, so an ardent debate about what god would or would not allow evokes the fabric of my childhood. Not as nostalgic as Orange Crush and wish-nik trolls, perhaps, but familiar territory nonetheless. ;)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  04:17:54  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to the old scroll intent:

I am curious what you consider the extend of the Elfshadow power...

Just how much strength/vitality does calling forth the shadows drain from the bearer.
How much magic can the spellcaster souls within bring to bear? Etc.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  01:47:12  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are many many reasons.

Just a few include:

In order for a settinh to work as a gaming world it has to allow for the suspension of disbelief. There have to be rules to the setting that are followed in order for players to understand and be immersed. Deities actually wandering around breaks that immersion. A deity operates through avatars, an avatar is usually powerful enough to disintegrate an opponent at a touch or glance. Just witnessing a gods appearance would probably be enough to kill a mortal yet it doesnt happen.
An avatar is usually immune to most forms of attack yet these gods wandering around seem to be as frail as paper.
If you had 9 or 10 avatars at your disposal why would you do anything in person and would it even be possible to occupy a 3 dimensional body and still keep track of all your other responsibilities (including up to 10 avatars for treater gods).

A gods appearance in person is yet another step on the ladder of 'escalating pew pew guns for coolness'. It began with chosen, then avatars, then gods in person and overgods. And now we are stuck with novels and supplements that involve a daily grind of the world being threatened by super beings and the mortals seem to have to clear it all up despite gods just wandering around interfering in their favourite toys and people and ignoring everything else.

Number 3 is that almost every event involving direct deific involvement has been spectacularly mishandled. The powers and abilities are way off, with gods being offed by mortals. Gods behaving in ways completely contrary to their supposed personality, and acting in ways that makes no sense for a god to act.
For instance lolths silence, lolth goes silent, lets most of her worshippers die, eilistraee acts schizophrenically bizarre. And in the end the whole line of events must have been so bad it was completely ignored by any future line of product.
Dont get me started on the events of 1385 when the deities involved suddenly turned into the Brady bunch.
In general anything involving a god acting in person usually portrays that god as incredibly stupid and short sighted (mielikki and all orcs are evil), such that i regard anything involving gods as a really bad episode of home and away.

And finally. Ed doesnt use the gods in this way. They are behind the scenes movers and shakers, manipulating events by proxy rather than turning up directly. If a god ever did turn up in his games i bet it would be an avatar and not the actual divinity.

I much prefer Eds original vision to the travesty that WoTC serves up.

If a god ever did turn up directly i imagine he would be in serious danger. While he is on the mortal realm who is looking after his divine realm, who is seeing to the affairs of his followers, who is furthering his divine plans, who is controlling his avatars and manifestations.

Furthermore if a god is killed on the mortal realm what happens. A demon or devil is banished for years (or destroyed depending on edition). At the least it would probably take a while for the shattered divinity to gather himself togethwr and retreat home. Meanwhile his enemies get to wreck his plans in his absence.

Thus if a god ever did come to the prime in person then every enemy god that hears of such an event would also turn up to try and kill him.
Thus its much safer to send an avatar.

It makes no sense as far as the rules are concerned and it makes no sense as far as the motivations of a super intelligent divine being is concerned to turn up in person.

Thats the short version. There is lots more. Am i the only one that dislikes the gods turning up in person and doing everything themselves (leaving nothing for PCs to do).

I have to agree. It stands out very well in the Gord novels the way Gary Gygax handled it. Direct intervention by the gods was unheard of.

The gods used mortals and powerful servants as pawns. Demons were IMMENSELY powerful and a deities power could not be imagined by a mortal.

For Rexfelis to even take in interest in Gord was almost unheard of in that world.

When gods are directly involved it cheapens the actions of the heros of the world. It also cheapens "destiny" and those paths that fate weaves for all mortals. Those are main components of a good fantasy setting/story.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2016 :  08:27:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew i couldnt be the only one to see folly in the current god nonsense model.

Ive spent ages thinking about how to mortalise all events where "a god did it" has been the official explanation.

The only one that has given me any problem has been the time of troubles but i think i could solve that now.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page