Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Penguin Random House jacked up ebook prices
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  03:27:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

What, if anything, could we, the readers, do to convey to them how foolish this move is, other than not buying the Kindle editions? I feel like there must be something more proactive in addition to that.

There is nothing more ACTIVE than not giving them money.

Companies understand not getting money better than anything else.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  03:33:56  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

What, if anything, could we, the readers, do to convey to them how foolish this move is, other than not buying the Kindle editions? I feel like there must be something more proactive in addition to that.

There is nothing more ACTIVE than not giving them money.

Companies understand not getting money better than anything else.

Yeah, you're right. I suppose I just feel kinda powerless because I can only not give them money once per book, and that's but a drop in the bucket in effectiveness. :P
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  03:55:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every drop fills a bucket, no drops no filled bucket. If price is too high they should get few drops and either will lower prices for ebooks or stop doing them because the bucket does not fill.

Boycotts however rarely work because enough will pay the high price because they want it sooner then what a successful boycott would provide after a wait in time for the lower cost.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  20:41:40  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hard to understand their reasoning.

I can understand having e-books at the same price of hardcovers when books release, that's probably a demand of the brick and mortar stores to carry the physical versions (same happens with videogames). But pricing them at higher prices? They must believe that people will either not notice or buy them anyway because they're hooked on e-books.

If they're really using the argument that digital books last longer than physical books... they must believe their readers are idiots.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2016 :  12:56:56  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Boycotts however rarely work because enough will pay the high price because they want it sooner then what a successful boycott would provide after a wait in time for the lower cost.
Then this proves the price was actually set at the right level, since enough customers agree that it's worth it and are willing to pay this amount of money

Edited by - Mirtek on 08 Mar 2016 13:02:42
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2016 :  13:39:19  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

Then this proves the price was actually set at the right level, since enough customers agree that it's worth it and are willing to pay this amount of money

We are not receiving sales numbers, so hard to know how well the price is set. The only way to know if a boycott works is if price drops or they stop selling ebooks. Not that I expect that any company would stop selling ebooks. They after all cost less to reprint then a paper book.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2016 :  13:49:38  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal The only way to know if a boycott works is if price drops or they stop selling ebooks.
and if neither happens, the price is working for them.

Actual production/distribution cost is only part of a price.

If people are willing to pay premium für an extra convenient version, it will be charged accordingly even when the cost if the convenient Version is actually less than that of the classical Version.

At other times, if things go badly or to secure a market in the first place, products have to be sold below their cost
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  18:38:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well all i know is, that for the first time since I read Darkwalker on Moonshae, there are newly published realms fictions that I have not purchased. Multiple books.

That can't be a great sign, unless I'm the only loyal reader who has had to give up realms fiction? And I bet I'm not.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 09 Mar 2016 18:44:56
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  19:59:46  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing I just don't get is that I can get a hardcover for $18, but an Ebook for $27. Where the hell is the logic in that? I will just order the hardback for almost ten dollars cheaper. I don't understand why they would make such a stupid decision. From an economical standpoint, upping the prices like that doesn't make any sense. It will only tank their e-book sells. Whatever. No more FR e-books I guess.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  13:57:48  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Hard to understand their reasoning.

I can understand having e-books at the same price of hardcovers when books release

Especially since their pricing is way higher than other publishers (including Penguin Random House). Typically new releases run 11.99 to 14.99 in ebook. That is what baffles me. I was really hoping it was a glitch or mistake but given how long the prices have been that high, I guess not.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  14:08:27  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually does anyone have an email address or somethng for WOTC's customer service?

I find their website maddening. At one point I created an account, but I forgot my password and the recover password link won't recognize my email. I tried siging up again but it says my email is already in use (even though recover password link says no account with that password exists).

Edited by - DragonReader on 10 Mar 2016 15:35:24
Go to Top of Page

arctic79
Acolyte

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2016 :  04:48:37  Show Profile Send arctic79 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only price i have seen on Amazon is for hardcover. I see no kindle/ebook price. Am i missing something?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2016 :  12:29:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arctic79

The only price i have seen on Amazon is for hardcover. I see no kindle/ebook price. Am i missing something?

If an ebook option is available it will be right next to the other print versions on Amazon.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Sothron
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2016 :  03:41:59  Show Profile Send Sothron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any stated reason why this insanity is allowed to exist? I simply cannot understand how any business would charge 10 dollars or so more for an ELECTRONIC FILE aka E-book than an actual hardcover book. Did Penguin House make some kind of deal with their printing service that is so bad that they have to justify forcing customers to buy hardcovers over e-book?

It astounds me. I am already upset that Black Library for the Warhammer/Warhammer 40k IPs has over the last three years rocketed up the cost on their e-books for absolutely zero justification.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  04:42:19  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this response from a Quora question that someone posed about the price hike on eBooks.

quote:

It's because of the switch to the "agency model" of selling e-books, which started at the end of March. Under the agency model, publishers set the price, and retailers like Amazon take a commission on sales to readers. This contrasts with the previous "retail model" of selling e-books, in which publishers sell to retailers and retailers sell to customers at the price they choose. Under the earlier retail model, Amazon had been buying e-books from publishers for about $13 and selling them for $9.99 to gain market share and encourage Kindle sales.

Bottom line, it's greed by the publishers and an attempt to rest back market control from Amazon. But in the end it's just going to kill the publishing industry.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2016 :  07:34:56  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if the price would drop before release. Seems like it did. Still not sure why they play that game.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BRFKMGI/ref=s9_newr_gw_d99_g351_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-3&pf_rd_r=0WABCTSMS1H2TVKVRK62&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869462&pf_rd_i=desktop
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2016 :  02:10:23  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I just looked it up and saw a nice $15. Why did they piss people off by having it $27 for so many weeks? Seems to be bad business no matter how you look at it. At least I can buy the E-book now. I wasn't paying $27 on principle for an E-book.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2016 :  17:19:27  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they have thankfully dropped the prices of all the books back down. I can now get Ashes of the Tyrant.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2016 :  18:50:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me wonder if there was some sort of behind-the-scenes conflict going on, which caused the price increase.

This is pure speculation; I have no facts for or against that idea.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  03:41:37  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This makes me wonder if there was some sort of behind-the-scenes conflict going on, which caused the price increase.

Frankly I think it's Amazon's pricing given that they have the List Pricing crossed out. Maybe there is some deal where Amazon can't drop the price until a certain time? Seems dumb though.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  14:53:05  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good progress, but not far enough.

I will not pay $15 for an Ebook, I'll just go back to buying secondhand.....which benefits the publisher zero dollars. Their greed has forced me out of the realms fiction for this long, I can now stay where I am a few years behind and save my former realms budget for a tesla 3

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  15:58:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I was into ebooks, and it was either ebook or hardcover, I'd prolly pay $15 for an ebook. It's cheaper than a hardcover, though pricier than a paperback -- but that's not really relevant when there isn't a paperback version.

So my opinion is that $15 is reasonable in this scenario... Assuming you do ebooks. I remain resistant to ebooks; I've read plenty of them, but I greatly prefer dead tree format.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  21:11:13  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I prefer eBooks and I think that the $15 price point for the traditional hardcover release is the best we will get at this point. Although I perfectly understand anyone wanting to boycott because of the price.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  21:59:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Yeah, I prefer eBooks and I think that the $15 price point for the traditional hardcover release is the best we will get at this point. Although I perfectly understand anyone wanting to boycott because of the price.

But if you have power outage, you can not read ebook. Paper or hard cover you can read by candle light if needed.

In the over all view none last forever, books though can hold up for thirty years (even longer), how long the kindle, pdf, etc. file be maintained? How large an electronic file can be maintained, hard drives fail and so on.

Not counting the production costs, at least right ebooks now are lower cost. As long as internet does not cost much, the only major cost is production of the ebook. No paper, no shipping, no distributor costs (oh except webmaster). Of course royalties apply, however they apply to both print or electronic, so no difference there.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  22:11:09  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But if you have power outage, you can not read ebook.

E-readers like Kindles are charged, they don't have to be directly plugged-in to work.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  23:07:00  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And unless you've candles you couldn't read anyway

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  00:28:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are advantages to books in dead tree format, and there are advantages to ebooks. Either way, it's still going to be a personal preference, and it's not something we really need to argue about.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  00:40:33  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

And unless you've candles you couldn't read anyway

They produce their own light as well...

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  18:26:45  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But if you have power outage, you can not read ebook. Paper or hard cover you can read by candle light if needed.

In the over all view none last forever, books though can hold up for thirty years (even longer), how long the kindle, pdf, etc. file be maintained? How large an electronic file can be maintained, hard drives fail and so on.

Not counting the production costs, at least right ebooks now are lower cost. As long as internet does not cost much, the only major cost is production of the ebook. No paper, no shipping, no distributor costs (oh except webmaster). Of course royalties apply, however they apply to both print or electronic, so no difference there.

I'm generally not in the habit of planning for such disasters. I've never lost power for more than a few hours and my iPad could go a day or two without recharge if I was just using the Kindle app.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2016 :  14:28:19  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

R.A. Salvatore said on twitter that the price increase was "just an internal snafu."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000