Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Salvatore's Realms Plans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  14:48:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
What would you like to see regarding future Salvatore Realms novels?

Choices:

More Drizzt and co.
Something entirely new
I''ve had enough of Salvatore
I don''''t care

(Anonymous Vote)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 21 Feb 2016 17:32:40

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  21:20:25  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
umm I refuse to vote on the lack of option e: other please explain

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  04:51:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

umm I refuse to vote on the lack of option e: other please explain

Thanks for sharing. You could always explain here...

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  09:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "I could care less" (under the impression that it said "couldn't), because Salvatore's prose always tries to kill me.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  14:48:33  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I changed one of the selections to satisfy the grammar police.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  20:35:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Drizzt and it was a refreshing time when he wasn't with the same characters doing the same thing over and over. I felt the Spellplague had helped "Move" the character towards more interesting avenues. Unfortunately we got the Companions books. Aaaaaand we're right back to square one. At this point I'm just hoping for something new. A new character, new Realms area, new adventures and new foes. I'd actually love a series of books in/around Impiltur or the Moonsea or hell even Chult or Everlund.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  04:58:52  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
to see something new, more drizzt is good mind you, but make a few 1 book heores that don't have to appear any where else in any novel.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  15:18:52  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

to see something new, more drizzt is good mind you, but make a few 1 book heores that don't have to appear any where else in any novel.

I could go for a new single or trilogy as long as they were brand new characters. I just hate to see authors who have success with something and then beat it to death instead of trying something new. Brooks with Shannara and Feist with Midkemia come to mind in addition to Salvatore.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  15:50:51  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
feist ended his midkemia didn't he??

and Salvatore did or does have a second line of novels. his demon wars(iirc) line outside of dnd.....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  16:14:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and Salvatore did or does have a second line of novels. his demon wars(iirc) line outside of dnd.....

Yes Feist published the last Midkemia books in the last year or two, but those just dragged on forever. I'm sure everyone has different tastes, but 30 books for a series is just too much for me.

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  17:50:18  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
30 books is indeed a lot, especially with a reboot and a resurrection of the original characters.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  18:04:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

Yes Feist published the last Midkemia books in the last year or two, but those just dragged on forever. I'm sure everyone has different tastes, but 30 books for a series is just too much for me.

Those aren't quite the same thing, though... He had several different series within the larger series, and each one introduced a whole new cast of characters. We also saw larges chunks of two entirely different worlds, parts of another in another dimension, and briefly visited some other very different locales. And even taking out the trip to the beginning of time that Macros, Tomas, and Pug took, the Midkemia books also covered a much longer span of time -- whole generations passed. And excepting the spellcasters, characters grew old and died in his books.

Also, Magician was published in 1982. Those 30 books came out over a span of more than 30 years.

It's not easy to read all of Feist's books in one go, but they are some very different books, and I don't think there's a valid comparison to be made, because of all the differences.

(Jimmy the Hand/Duke James of Krondor will always be one of my favorite characters. And few FR characters are as much fun as Nakor)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Feb 2016 18:06:11
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  18:16:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

Those aren't quite the same thing, though... He had several different series within the larger series, and each one introduced a whole new cast of characters. We also saw larges chunks of two entirely different worlds, parts of another in another dimension, and briefly visited some other very different locales. And even taking out the trip to the beginning of time that Macros, Tomas, and Pug took, the Midkemia books also covered a much longer span of time -- whole generations passed. And excepting the spellcasters, characters grew old and died in his books.

Also, Magician was published in 1982. Those 30 books came out over a span of more than 30 years.

It's not easy to read all of Feist's books in one go, but they are some very different books, and I don't think there's a valid comparison to be made, because of all the differences.

(Jimmy the Hand/Duke James of Krondor will always be one of my favorite characters. And few FR characters are as much fun as Nakor)

True, Feist introduced new characters, and many of them were great, but alot of them felt like renamed characters from the past. (Terry Brooks is terrible about doing this. Every Shannara book will have an Ohmsford, Leah, etc) My problem with the later Feists books is that the basic plot felt exactly like every other book/series set in Midkemia: another war threatens the Kingdom or humanity in general. *yawn

Any series with an excessive number of books written by the same author will obviously be spread over many real-life years. Raymond Feist, Terry Brooks, RA Salvatore all began their series 30+ years ago. If you decide to read those series straight through then it can leave a bad taste in your mouth, but if you spread them out a bit over the years it doesn't get much better unless you completely forget everything that happened before in the storylines.

There is nothing wrong with these authors wanting to milk their series/characters for as much money as possible, but when creativity is sacrificed in the process it's the reader who suffers.

I enjoyed the Shannara, Midkemia, and Drizzt series (for the most part), but how much more enjoyment could I have experienced if these authors tried something new?

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 22 Feb 2016 18:29:07
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  18:34:24  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just tired of the drow period. Actually I've been tired of them for the last decade. Let's throw in the tieflings as well. I'm even more tired reading about them.

I mean if we're only going to get 4 novels a year, let's mix them up a bit. Enough with the young tiefling romance novels and enough of the stupidly evil race of elves.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  19:00:18  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Drizzt, and as, as a sap, I want him to have a happy ending. I was glad when Bob brought the Companions back. I didn't like when Drizzt was traveling with Dahlia.

However, I wouldn't mind if Salvatore wrapped up the Drizzt books, so long as he wrapped them up nicely. I could go for some more stories about Jarlaxle, Entreri, or heck, I would love to see Valas appear again. Or maybe entirely new characters.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  19:15:04  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I'm just tired of the drow period. Actually I've been tired of them for the last decade. Let's throw in the tieflings as well. I'm even more tired reading about them.

I mean if we're only going to get 4 novels a year, let's mix them up a bit. Enough with the young tiefling romance novels and enough of the stupidly evil race of elves.

I agree with you so much that I'd hug your post if I could. :P
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  19:24:16  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Something new."

I like Drizzt - his saga is interesting, and it's RAS's bread and butter, after all. If new Drizzt stuff comes out, I'll read it (provided it is produced as an actual book, and not Kindle-only).

Having said that, maybe a spotlight on some other characters of the Realms, new or otherwise. Maybe a story about Laeral Silverhand? Or Liriel? Maybe bring back some souls thought long dead - Qilue Veladorn comes to mind. Or perhaps something waaaaaay out of left field...pull an incarnation of Olive Ruskettle through time and space, perhaps. Shake things up a bit, and in a way that doesn't push the Realms off its moorings.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  20:33:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

quote:

Same here.

Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  20:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im confused. How do you like Salvatore's work then lets bash his characters? Then I'm wanting something new, so lets hear more about these characters.??
I personally adore Salvatore. I met him way back when at a book signing and he was polite and friendly and very encouraging. he inspired me in my personal writings and i could only HOPE to have 30+ books involving my characters.
Drizzt gets so much bashing, in fact all the Companions do, but you KNOW them. Obviously, love or hate, you've read some (hopefully) and are not just jumping on the "lets crap on this character" bandwagon.
As a huge Drizzt fan, yes, even i'll admit i can predict what he's going to do before I turn the page and continue reading, why? because he's written that well and we all know him. I put him in the same category as Superman. Been around forever, same old same old, but always hoping for a new and unique situation I never thought of to see how he'll get by.
The Realms are my favorite area to read of, but i hardly ever read any Ed bashing when Elminter's acting old, cranky and overpowered yet barely surviving by the skin of his teeth, so why pick on Bob?
He writes it, i'll read it. a devoted fan for life. Yes, I'm hoping for some new characters, he brings so many to life with ust a few lines. Hell I'm still wishing for a Pikel book, just him and Ivan. I dont care if they are just hanging at a tavern or forest but it'd be fun to read!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  20:41:52  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

Im confused. How do you like Salvatore's work then lets bash his characters? Then I'm wanting something new, so lets hear more about these characters.??
I personally adore Salvatore. I met him way back when at a book signing and he was polite and friendly and very encouraging. he inspired me in my personal writings and i could only HOPE to have 30+ books involving my characters.
Drizzt gets so much bashing, in fact all the Companions do, but you KNOW them. Obviously, love or hate, you've read some (hopefully) and are not just jumping on the "lets crap on this character" bandwagon.
As a huge Drizzt fan, yes, even i'll admit i can predict what he's going to do before I turn the page and continue reading, why? because he's written that well and we all know him. I put him in the same category as Superman. Been around forever, same old same old, but always hoping for a new and unique situation I never thought of to see how he'll get by.
The Realms are my favorite area to read of, but i hardly ever read any Ed bashing when Elminter's acting old, cranky and overpowered yet barely surviving by the skin of his teeth, so why pick on Bob?
He writes it, i'll read it. a devoted fan for life. Yes, I'm hoping for some new characters, he brings so many to life with ust a few lines. Hell I'm still wishing for a Pikel book, just him and Ivan. I dont care if they are just hanging at a tavern or forest but it'd be fun to read!

I'll roll the dice and assume you are talking about me.

Not sure how you get that I'm bashing the characters ... or even Salvatore for that matter. The characters are innocent bystanders in this matter, and I loved the first 10 Drizzt books (give or take) and enjoyed most of the remaining ones. I'm just saying it's stale at this point and that I would much prefer for Salvatore to write Realms books about completely different people, places, and things that have nothing to do with Drizzt.

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  20:45:49  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't subscribe to the notion that long-running series by a single author are a bad thing.

I do think that RAS has a tendency to recycle themes (Drizzt's monologues have been repetitive for a while now), but there's still plenty of things he can do.

I think people are just getting annoyed that things that they don't like gets a lot of exposure compared to what they want.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  21:03:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

Really? You've never seen the repeated accusations that Elminster is Ed's Mary Sue, or comments that Ed's some sort of pervert for the way he writes the Seven Sisters, or any of the other myriad bashes that have been thrown his way?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2016 :  21:07:45  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I do think that RAS has a tendency to recycle themes (Drizzt's monologues have been repetitive for a while now), but there's still plenty of things he can do.

Yep, I used to love the monologue parts from the earlier books. But the ones we keep getting in these last few series seems like they were transcribed from a handbook on how to be a proper boyscout.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 22 Feb 2016 21:08:02
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2016 :  06:48:21  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

quote:

Virtual hug!!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2016 :  13:44:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

"Something new."

I like Drizzt - his saga is interesting, and it's RAS's bread and butter, after all. If new Drizzt stuff comes out, I'll read it (provided it is produced as an actual book, and not Kindle-only).

Having said that, maybe a spotlight on some other characters of the Realms, new or otherwise. Maybe a story about Laeral Silverhand? Or Liriel? Maybe bring back some souls thought long dead - Qilue Veladorn comes to mind. Or perhaps something waaaaaay out of left field...pull an incarnation of Olive Ruskettle through time and space, perhaps. Shake things up a bit, and in a way that doesn't push the Realms off its moorings.

- OMH

I'd rather have Ed and Elaine write their characters, than another author. Even if that author is Salvatore.

Fully agree on Qilué. Returned Eilistraee and Mystra could bring her back (every sister but Syluné is coming back...).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Feb 2016 13:47:32
Go to Top of Page

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2016 :  13:10:47  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since Salvatore and Greenwood are now the only stable Realms writers, I'd definitely like it if they took up the slack, branched out a bit and wrote some standalone novels featuring unheard of characters and expanding the realms like we've seen in every edition up until 5e.

A man can dream.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2016 :  16:10:27  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the Sellswords Trilogy and the Clerical Quintet. I'm over the underdark and northern Sword Coast area. Bob creates some great characters and has genius plot ideas at times, but I would love him to stop writing about Drizzt and Drow, and take on something new and different again. Maybe a whole trilogy set in the Dales or the Moonsea.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2016 :  01:54:25  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
as much as I too would like to see 1 stop shop heroes, we must remember 1 thing and this thing is what is likely to make it not happen. depends on what wotc wants Salvatore to write

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2016 :  17:02:36  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm tired of Salvatore and Drizzt.

I'm tired of the same old "winning by the skin of my teeth but doesn't feel like that anymore because it's been going on for years now" theme to the Drizzt books. I want more lore related novels that don't always involve multiple recurring characters.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2016 :  17:48:40  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More lore would be nice, even within the Drizzt books

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2016 :  18:46:15  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Drizzt has run it's course to be honest. It's like a series you liked in the beginning but then got tired of it because it dragged the same old thing on and on.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000