Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 "Mind Reaming" spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2016 :  22:22:24  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

In many examples of realms lore, especially those given out by Ed Greenwood and THO, mention of people being "mind reamed" and similar mind reading magics are mentioned.

I just wondered if any of the various persons on Candlekeep could suggest appropriate published spells and sources for such types of magic

Thanks

- Gareth -

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  03:08:14  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Detect thoughts, brain spider, read thoughts, probe thoughts, programmed amnesia, rary's telepathic bond, discern lies, mindrape, etc.

Any halfway competent caster should have mind blank up, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  07:32:56  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was asked in 2007. And some more bits in 2008.
Short version: their own custom spells.
Which only makes sense - having multiple-viewer version allows to "watch the watchers", while hiding the specific details allows to hinder development of countermeasures (more subtle than generic ones, that is).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 20 Feb 2016 07:34:35
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  07:50:54  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, my clearly sub-par search skills failed to find that.

Thanks for the replies guys (and apologies mod's for not finding that in a search).

- Gareth -
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  14:45:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Detect thoughts, brain spider, read thoughts, probe thoughts, programmed amnesia, rary's telepathic bond, discern lies, mindrape, etc.

Is "mindrape" an actual spell?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  18:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

It is (I did a spit-take too!) It's in 3e's Book of Vile Darkness. I think it's blunt and childishly explicit, but that seems to be Monte Cook's thing.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  02:27:43  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering what it does, 'mindrape' is a pretty good word to describe it. Here's the description:

The caster enters the mind of a creature, learning everything that creature knows. The caster can erase or add memories as she sees fit and alter emotions, opinions, and even alignment. When the caster is done, she can leave the creature insane (as described in the insanity spell) or seemingly unaffected, without any memory of the intrusion. Severe changes to personality and changes to alignment can be corrected by a break enchantment spell (although an atonement spell might be needed as well, depending on circumstances). Alterations to memories and subtler thoughts can be restored only through use of a miracle or wish.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  04:54:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

It is (I did a spit-take too!) It's in 3e's Book of Vile Darkness. I think it's blunt and childishly explicit, but that seems to be Monte Cook's thing.

Wow, I thought that one was completely made-up.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2016 :  18:03:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth

In many examples of realms lore, especially those given out by Ed Greenwood and THO, mention of people being "mind reamed" and similar mind reading magics are mentioned.

The common folk of the Realms lack deep understanding of magic. And probably fear any sort of mental intrusion, even those which are comparably benign. A simple friends, charm person, or ESP spell would feel manipulative to most people; let alone stronger spells like emotion, fear, or telepathy which could seem like an unspeakable violation to their victims. Superstitious folk might feel particularly "cursed" or "tainted" by any sort of invasion on their precious sense of self. Remember that many folk of the Realms still avert their gaze, make strange gestures, utter prayers, and brandish useless trinkets in the hopes of warding off evils - simply because they're passing a darkly threatening stranger on the road or entering a place a "witch" or "wizard" visited earlier the same day.

It's not as directly impressive as the disgusting mindrape spell described above, but I would argue that any mental enchantment and any kind of mental illusion (phantasm) and any kind of uninvited psionic contact (and certainly any psionic attack like ego whip or id insinuation) could be described as a "mind ream" in this context. Non-spellcasters and non-psionics are utterly defenseless against such invasions, they may not even know they've been attacked or manipulated, and they could fear and exaggerate the effects of such things far out of proportion. FR novels and Realmslore tend to describe events with the perspectives and values of the characters living within them.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 02 Mar 2016 18:35:51
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2016 :  03:25:05  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it would make an interesting article for an analysis on this topic, comparing the spells used by the various players in Ed's novels who commonly use such magics (El, Manshoon, Vangerdahast.... etc.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000