Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Wand DC Pricing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  17:05:36  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So a wand created with a level one spell has a Base Save Dc of 10 + Spell Level + Ability required to cast spell (11 or a +0). But has anyone come up with a formula for wands with increased Save DCC's (say from more powerful creators). For example, Mecadexia makes a wand of Color Spray but with her Intelligence of 18 HER wand has a Save Dc of 15. Obviouslly, I'd buy a wand from her, as its harder to resist, but how much more should it cost?
As I said, looking for suggestions or your formulas, if any.
Thanks

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  22:36:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assuming you mean for 3.5 rules, that's the purpose of staves, to let you use your own ability modifier, feats, and caster level with spells to make them more powerful.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  23:59:36  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

S For example, Mecadexia makes a wand of Color Spray but with her Intelligence of 18 HER wand has a Save Dc of 15. Obviouslly, I'd buy a wand from her, as its harder to resist, but how much more should it cost?

How do you propose to measure this in-Universe?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  05:32:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

So a wand created with a level one spell has a Base Save Dc of 10 + Spell Level + Ability required to cast spell (11 or a +0). But has anyone come up with a formula for wands with increased Save DCC's (say from more powerful creators). For example, Mecadexia makes a wand of Color Spray but with her Intelligence of 18 HER wand has a Save Dc of 15. Obviouslly, I'd buy a wand from her, as its harder to resist, but how much more should it cost?
As I said, looking for suggestions or your formulas, if any.
Thanks

How about treating the extra save value as if they were pluses? If her intelligence makes the save more difficult by 5, for example, then use the same formula you'd use if you were adding 5 levels of magical whatevers to a weapon. You'd likely want to bump down the overall value (divide the gp value of each "plus" by ten, mayhaps), but that should be easy enough.

Keep in mind, I'm not even close to being strong on rules. This is just the first thing that springs to mind for me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  09:21:58  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no reason why a creator can't set the DCs of his or her own creations, though I'd rule that wands are simply stuck with the DC, and don't scale according to their owners.

Therefore, Wungobungo the Magnificent with an Int of 18 can create 1st-level wands wands with a DC of 18, but Oogabooga the Stupendous with an Int of 28 is stuck with the DC 18 wands, assuming he borrowed or looted them from Wungobungo.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  11:31:57  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the DC for wands must be tagged as the lowest possible modifier for casting that spell? So a 14th level Druid With a Wisdom of 24 still only crafts wands of entangle at DC 11 [10 + spell lv. (1) + ability to cast spell (+0)].
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  15:11:49  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, all magic item DCs use the same formula, DC 10 + spell level + minimum ability modifier, except for staves.

"Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC."

Quoted from d20srd

Edited by - idilippy on 17 Feb 2016 15:12:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000