Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Vaasa, damara, narfell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2021 :  21:43:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and St Lalibela is described as some kind of elfin, faerie like goddess. Tazmikella also can take the form of a young elven maid. Mayhaps it was Tazmikella that augmented Gareth's sword (it seems silly to take a super powerful sword and replace it with a new one, more likely they enhanced its powers or unlocked them like some weapons of legacy thing).

Ilnezhara and Tazmikella were of course working against Zhengyi according to Promise of the Witchking so it seems possible they would aid Gareth. I'm guessing that if they directly acted against Zhengyi he would just send his considerable dragon allies against the two copper dragons.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  02:17:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Oh and St Lalibela is described as some kind of elfin, faerie like goddess. Tazmikella also can take the form of a young elven maid. Mayhaps it was Tazmikella that augmented Gareth's sword (it seems silly to take a super powerful sword and replace it with a new one, more likely they enhanced its powers or unlocked them like some weapons of legacy thing).

Ilnezhara and Tazmikella were of course working against Zhengyi according to Promise of the Witchking so it seems possible they would aid Gareth. I'm guessing that if they directly acted against Zhengyi he would just send his considerable dragon allies against the two copper dragons.

I really wish you would put some source info here, as I have no idea what you're talking about? What's St. Lalibela from?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  07:32:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My bad. In the mines of bloodstone adventure, deep underground is a lake where suddenly a random woman appears and bids Gareth dragonsbane throw his +5 holy avenger sword in.
When he does she gives him an enhanced +5 holy avenger called crusader.
That naked woman is called Lalibela and is hinted at being some kind of goddess of nixies. In Throne of Bloodstone she is called st Lalibela.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  14:08:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My bad. In the mines of bloodstone adventure, deep underground is a lake where suddenly a random woman appears and bids Gareth dragonsbane throw his +5 holy avenger sword in.
That naked woman is called Lalibela and is hinted at being some kind of goddess of nixies. In Throne of Bloodstone she is called st Lalibela.

Oh, gotcha, they did a whole "Lady of the Lake" thing. Cheesy, but I admit it would be fun as a player. I'd probably go with something without modifying the story. Make this "demigoddess" a demigod by definition... something like the daughter of Eldath. One thing to remember is that prior to the Time of Troubles, Eldath was on Toril in physical form (so was Mielikki... and she might work as well, though I think of Eldath more with Nixies, but Mielikki is more warlike). It might be interesting to stick children of several of these goddesses that were "prime bound" prior to the ToT around the world (thinking Eldath, Mielikki, Lurue, Nobanion, Torm were all DEFINITELY prime bound gods... would expect similar with Shiallia, Hoar, Red Knight, Siamorphe, Sharess, Gwaeron Windstrom, Valkur.... plus of course the Mulan gods).

She basically imbues the weapon with the ability to cast heal, charm, & strength 1/day. Commune with her 1/day, plus gives the weapon intelligence and telepathy with its wielder. Then gives it the special power to disintegrate certain demons on a nat 20. At the cost of all their other magic items (minus armor and shield) being taken away (which for the "pregen" Gareth is a silver horn of valhalla and his existing holy avenger). Yeah, I'd go with somehow they take the magic from the other items to imbue the sword more.

From Mines of Bloodstone, in case anyone else comes along
The woman introduces herself as Lalibela, a demigoddess of the nixies. She gives the paladin a glowing sword, and all the paladin's other weapons and devices (except armor and shield) vanish from the shore.

From Throne of Bloodstone, powers of Crusader the Holy Avenger
Commune with minor goddess St. Lalibela 1/week

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 03 Aug 2021 14:30:16
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  14:21:06  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Oh, gotcha, they did a whole "Lady of the Lake" thing. Cheesy, but I admit it would be fun as a player. I'd probably go with something without modifying the story. Make this "demigoddess" a demigod by definition... something like the daughter of Eldath. One thing to remember is that prior to the Time of Troubles, Eldath was on Toril in physical form (so was Mielikki... and she might work as well, though I think of Eldath more with Nixies, but Mielikki is more warlike). It might be interesting to stick children of several of these goddesses that were "prime bound" prior to the ToT around the world (thinking Eldath, Mielikki, Lurue, Nobanion, Torm were all DEFINITELY prime bound gods)

Indeed, there could be some connection between Lalibela and Eldath - Lalibela is note to have traits similar to a Nymph (- ie being able to kill a person seeing her naked - despite being goddess of Nixies), with Ed tying Eldath with Nymphs (ie Ed noting in Dragon#54 Nymphs worship Eldath, and they believe she is the source of their power to kill those who see them bare, though it's a belief not fact).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  14:51:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinking on this more (and the list of gods I just made), I kind of like the idea of people referring to the "children" of these gods that might get born being called "Saints" by many of the realms people (as a catch all term term for very religiously connected beings, not specifically that Saints must be children of gods.... kind of like Ser doesn't mean a knight).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  17:16:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not convinced of the divine angle. A demi goddess of nixies serving Eldath, what would it have to gain from helping Hareth Dragonsbane who is fighting an army of evil in service to a lich. There are evil armies and liches all over Toril so why appear and help in only this instance.

What interest do lalibela and eldath have in Damara, they are not mentioned anywhere else.

Also the Mines of Bloodstone are now pretty much unholy grounds of Orcus, how would such a quasi divine being get into the unhallowed grounds of a demon lord.

The dragon sisters on the other hand have been in Damara for 400 years. They have agents all over the region procuring information and powerful magical items, and they have a history of feeding those items into the hands of others.
They appear to have a grudge against Zhengyi because he tries to turn them into dracoliches, and there is little that could stop a dragon from going where it wanted (although even the dragon sisters wouldnt be stupid enough to venture into the duergar city below where there are other dragons.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  17:56:09  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Yyengi serves Orcus (and expands his influence), one of the biggests propagators of undeath in the multiverse, and being that hates everything and wants everything to suffer (not to mention, Orcus' dogma outright spits on the notion of mercy), and/or eslave all beings - Orcus being in many ways an antithesis to what Eldath represents. And as proven in Dead Gods, even when "kiled" Orcus is a massive threat, to even al life.

Eldath being prime-bound at time (as sleyvas mentioned), could help her proxy to enter such unholly ground. (esentially, around a prime-bound demigod, their domain is around them, so it might overwrite/overpower an unholy area.)

It's also possible if you think Tazmikella is or is tied to her, it could be still done. It's noted Dragons work with, or serve non-draconic deities.

Lalibela also is noted to be divine, if of an lesser rank (though probably in modern times, she would very possibly be described as an Archfey).

Edited by - Baltas on 03 Aug 2021 18:41:34
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  18:46:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I can't believe I missed a deity. Argh!
Oh, gotcha, they did a whole "Lady of the Lake" thing. Cheesy, but I admit it would be fun as a player. I'd probably go with something without modifying the story. Make this "demigoddess" a demigod by definition... something like the daughter of Eldath. One thing to remember is that prior to the Time of Troubles, Eldath was on Toril in physical form (so was Mielikki... and she might work as well, though I think of Eldath more with Nixies, but Mielikki is more warlike). It might be interesting to stick children of several of these goddesses that were "prime bound" prior to the ToT around the world (thinking Eldath, Mielikki, Lurue, Nobanion, Torm were all DEFINITELY prime bound gods... would expect similar with Shiallia, Hoar, Red Knight, Siamorphe, Sharess, Gwaeron Windstrom, Valkur.... plus of course the Mulan gods).

She basically imbues the weapon with the ability to cast heal, charm, & strength 1/day. Commune with her 1/day, plus gives the weapon intelligence and telepathy with its wielder. Then gives it the special power to disintegrate certain demons on a nat 20. At the cost of all their other magic items (minus armor and shield) being taken away (which for the "pregen" Gareth is a silver horn of valhalla and his existing holy avenger). Yeah, I'd go with somehow they take the magic from the other items to imbue the sword more.

The woman introduces herself as Lalibela, a demigoddess of the nixies. She gives the paladin a glowing sword, and all the paladin's other weapons and devices (except armor and shield) vanish from the shore.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  19:12:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

quote:

I can't believe I missed a deity. Argh!

lol, well, given that it would be a deity not necessarily in any of the pantheons that you covered, I think you're okay.... it's the guy that did Monster Mythology that needs to fret

Personally though, I still like ranking her as divine rank 0 as a demigod who IS a nixie... rather than one with followers

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2021 :  21:49:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She's mentioned as a saint in later bloodstone adventures so I would theorize King Gareth Dragonsbane petitioned the Chirch of Ilmater to canonize her for the service she rendered. Given he was king and a paladin of the order of the golden cup, the high priest in Damara could hardly refuse.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2021 :  08:57:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bahamut also known as the Grandfather of Dragons. Found it in a core book but I needed a title like that.

Also found a spell Contact Archetype, used to contact Bahamut or Tiamat. Why would Bahamut or Tiamat need a specific spell to contact them if they were just deities like everyone else.

Has anyone any thoughts on why Bahamut is so involved in non dragon affairs. Only Tiamat has as much involvement in humanoid affairs and she is only using them for her own ends. But why is Bahamut involved, he helps the heroes of bloodstone defeat Zhengyi and Orcus, none of which really effect him or is sphere of interest. He even joins the Faerunian Pantheon which suggests to me he has an established human church (one I mean to create and detail).

The question is why.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2021 :  13:40:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more i read on Bahamut the more i see "Bahamut is an archetype", this statement seems to have appeared from at least 2e onward.

It looks like most people assume an Archetype is just like a deity, but what exactly is an archetype and how does it differ from a deity (if they arent any different then why distinguish between them and say Bahamut is an archetype).

From an initial look it says that Bahamut allows his most devout followers to sacrifice themselves and become a lesser version of himself (an aspect i guess), these aspects are independent and free willed but also still seem to be part of or represent Bahamut.

Without knowing about a proper definition it seems that an archetype is an ideal form of being. The Platinum Dragon represents the ideal of all good dragons. He is not a deity that they need to worship, he exists as long as they exist, and it would seem that worthy beings on a planet may become the Platinum Dragon but only a material plane representation that is independent of the archetype itself.

Now there has always been a debate about whether deities extend across multiple spheres (for me they do not, there are several Banes and several Tyrs, they are not the same). What about Archetypes, i think archetypes do extend across multiple spheres, there is only one platinum dragon archetype across the whole multiverse, perhaps this is how demonlords and archdevils differ from deities (they are archetypes).

Anyone have any thoughts or quotes from various editions as to what an archetype may be and how it differs to deities.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2021 :  18:52:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The more i read on Bahamut the more i see "Bahamut is an archetype", this statement seems to have appeared from at least 2e onward.

It looks like most people assume an Archetype is just like a deity, but what exactly is an archetype and how does it differ from a deity (if they arent any different then why distinguish between them and say Bahamut is an archetype).

From an initial look it says that Bahamut allows his most devout followers to sacrifice themselves and become a lesser version of himself (an aspect i guess), these aspects are independent and free willed but also still seem to be part of or represent Bahamut.

Without knowing about a proper definition it seems that an archetype is an ideal form of being. The Platinum Dragon represents the ideal of all good dragons. He is not a deity that they need to worship, he exists as long as they exist, and it would seem that worthy beings on a planet may become the Platinum Dragon but only a material plane representation that is independent of the archetype itself.

Now there has always been a debate about whether deities extend across multiple spheres (for me they do not, there are several Banes and several Tyrs, they are not the same). What about Archetypes, i think archetypes do extend across multiple spheres, there is only one platinum dragon archetype across the whole multiverse, perhaps this is how demonlords and archdevils differ from deities (they are archetypes).

Anyone have any thoughts or quotes from various editions as to what an archetype may be and how it differs to deities.

It may mean that Bahamut is a sentience, and periodically it inhabits the body of a being that embodies its ethos (so that the various "Bahamuts" we see are either like wholly subsuming beings.... or they might somewhat act like Fistandantilus with Raistlin (i.e. riding in their mind, but in the background advising them, and noone knows they are there).

I was kind of theorizing something like this for primordials in some thread around here in the past week or three... that perhaps they aren't "the rocky elemental".... but rather they POSSESS some special minerals with some special powers and they turn that into a body. Since the "primordials" of 4th edition were said to use "dragon mounts", I was theorizing that maybe that didn't mean "man made of fire riding on the back of a dragon", and more of "psychic entity possessing a dragon".

as an aside ---- wasn't there some group of "abyssal natives" or "demons" called out in either 2nd or 3rd edition as specifically a group of demons that possessed no bodies? I know there were the precursors of the tanar'ri, but this wasn't them.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 05 Aug 2021 18:54:59
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2021 :  19:15:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loumara are the incorporeal possessing demons.

I'm not certain a possessing spirit works. It's quite clear that each Platinum Dragon aspect is independent of the parent archetype. Also there are multiple aspects across the spheres (paladine and takhisis, tiamat and bahamut), on faerun it may be that there were multiples at the same time (two tiamats one with 3 heads, one with 5).

Not that it's really important how they become an Aspect (I never really liked the term Aspect when it came to deities, but it appears to have a special usefulness when it comes to archetypes).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2021 :  19:51:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i'll go with what i have so far.

Bahamut resides on the outer planes in the 7 heavens.

Aspects of Bahamut exist on multiple crystal spheres.

Multiple aspects of Bahamut may exist in one crystal sphere.

Bahamut allows devout dragons to sacrifice themselves to become an aspect of himself. These aspects are independent and free willed but seem to follow the ideals of Bahamut.

Bahamut does not require worship to survive (he went 20000+ years without any measurable worship on Toril).

Using the above as parameters it seems that Bahamut the Platinum Dragon (the one on the outer planes) is a supreme example of the metallic dragon race (an archetype), he is able to grant spells to worshippers and other forms of energy (to fuel the transformation of a follower into an Aspect) and so in that regard behaves a bit like a deity, but he does not require worship (and in fact even until 1350s appears to have very little worship in the realms), so he must be getting that energy from somewhere, perhaps from the 7 heavens itself that have made him some kind of celestial paragon and ruler of a portion of the plane.

All of the above sounds an awful lot like how demon lords and archdevils operate. They do not need worship to survive, they can grant spells to people, and may indeed be invested with energy by the plane itself (Demogorgon reforms when slain). I've also seen demonlords and devils associated with Aspects.

So onto Aspects, they are lesser in power than avatars. They are independent of the parent being (archetype), but behave like them. In the case of Bahamut, beings willingly transform themselves into aspects, perhaps he infuses them with energy and abilities like his own, that changes their form and their personality to more closely match the archetype but at the same time they are still independent beings with presumably some of their own vestigial personality.

So Xymor was perhaps a dragon that transformed into an aspect of the Platinum Dragon. He died and worship of the Platinum Dragon declined to almost nothing.
Marduk was also transformed into an aspect of the Platinum Dragon (was he a disguised dragon or perhaps half dragon). He was slain also.
Perhaps there was another aspect of the Platinum Dragon active in the Bloodstone region, who may have resembled an old man (Bahamut is said to have taken the form of an old man and wandered toril).

This archetype and aspect thing also explains how / why we can have a tiamat with 5 heads in Baator, and also have a tiamat with 5 heads beneath Castle Perilous, and also have a tiamat with 3 heads in Unther who was slain by Marduk, and later have a tiamat with 3 heads who was slain by Gilgeam, and later have a tiamat with 3 heads who slew Gilgeam.
Each of those aspects was transformed into an aspect. The destruction of each aspect has no effect on the existence of the Archetype beyond the energy investiture cost to create a new aspect.

How does this transformation take place, well there is already a ritual that allows a being to transform themselves into something draconic. Could it be that dragons are able to transform themselves into a different type using a similar ritual (or variant of it), is that how gem dragons came into being.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2021 :  20:31:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aspects of Bahamut exist on multiple crystal spheres.

Bahamut does not require worship to survive (he went 20000+ years without any measurable worship on Toril)

The first point explains the second. He's worshipped in multiple places, so he can continue to exist even if not worshipped in one of them.

Also, "without any measurable worship" is not the same as "not worshipped at all". We've multiple canon examples of a deity lingering with just a handful of followers. 20,000 years would be a long time for mortals, but for dragons, it's not the same thing.

It's also not unreasonable to assume that the worship of a single dragon would far exceed the worship of a human or demihuman.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2021 :  20:48:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends upon how you view the multiverse and the planes i suppose.

Found some interesting things in the 4e draconomicon. Hints that his rituals could be corrupted, also that he might have a son and that son is evil.
Also Races of the Dragon details that if a dragonborn turns evil then he loses his dragonborn form in a very painful manner.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2021 :  20:57:22  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With Bahamut, he was indeed described as a Celestial Paragon in Dragon issue 38 way in 1980 (ie as an "Angel of Seven Heaven" but also a "deity", if seemingly indeed in the same way as archfiends, and opposite of Tiamat, who was an Archdevil). Dragons of Faerun also mentioning that Bahamut was "reduced" to a Celetial Paragon, and Tiamat to an Archfiend, after Bahamut (in his Marduk guise) and Tiamat destroyed eachother's material forms in -1071 DR (Orcgate Wars).

With Dragons changing their form, it could be somehow connected to Garyx (who has traits of a Red and Gold Dragon, and is worshipped by both) - maybe Garyx started out as a Gold Dragon that went bad, and went the route of the Polychromatic Dragon, but followed it only partly?

Oriental/Lung Dragons are also interesting. Draconomicon mentioned that there is a dificulty placing them in the dragons evolutionary tree, to the point sages basically made up a hypothetical ancestor (Eodraco Orientalis) that breached out from other dragons early on, to explain their existence. Though there is no fossil evidence of Eodraco Orientalis, as opposed to other prehistoric dragocoforms.

Though I wonder if they aren't related to transformed members of other dragon species (and descendants of them), - Gold Dragons specifically are mentioned as having traits of Oriential Dragons (even reflected by their scientific name - "Draco orientalus sino dux"). Cloud Dragos (also very similar to Oriental Dragons) and (Spelljammer) Celestial Dragons are also mentioned as close cousins of both metallic and chromatic dragons. 5E suggested Gold Dragons are a result of intermixing of Oriental and Metallic Dragons, and Cloud Dragons are a result of further Gold Dragon mating with Lung Dragons. Though it's also possible at least some Lung Dragons are just related/sharing common ancestors with Metallic Dragons (specifcally Gold Dragons) - T'ien Lung being in particular similar to 1e-2e Gold Dragons (who didn't have wings, or could make them dissapear) visually. Or others are result of dragon species, changing themselves a ritual (for example a chromatic dragon, halfways becoming a gold dragon.)

Edited by - Baltas on 05 Aug 2021 22:39:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2021 :  21:28:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Depends upon how you view the multiverse and the planes i suppose.

I view them in the way described in canon: Multispheric deities can lose access to one sphere without it affecting them in others.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2021 :  18:52:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, church of Bahamut. Trying to come up with multiple ways to link it to Damara.

One of the possibilities is that way back in -1076 DR we have a church of Marduk (marduk being an aspect of the platinum dragon). I'm assuming he had a church because he is a God (a quasi power in my book but still a god) and needing of worship to provide power.

Marduk and his faithful march off to the orcgate wars along with everyone else in unther, mulhorand, etc.

Marduk is slain and no other mention of him or his presumed church is made ever again. We could assume that the church collapsed relatively quickly given that marduk was seen destroyed and other holdings survived to gather up the worship.

However, I'm guessing most of his followers were off in Thay (then the Netarand) fighting orcs. It could be that the faithful of marduk never left Thay and instead wanted vengeance against the orcs (yes tiamat slew marduk but she died as well so the only enemy left to fight is the orcs).

The orcs flee west known as the scattering of the tusks, so perhaps a few die hard mulan pursued them.

If we go west far enough we come to the Citadel of the White Worm, then it probably wasnt surrounded by glacier but it still existed. The remnants of the church of marduk set up shop there and although they eventually die out they leave behind their knowledge.

When the Church of Bahamut is reborn in the modern age it is in Damara and uses the teachings of Marduk as a basis.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2021 :  15:01:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Came across two things in the FRCS that i cant figure out or place.

First is the Breath of Winter, a creature of cold that drains victims of all heat leaving them frozen husks

Second is Dunraven Castle, home to a green woman in knights armour and a bottomless pool of black water that claims any that try to drink from it.

Anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on the above, i've not even got a location for Dunraven as it doesnt appear on any map, although given the Raven name i'm thinking it might be near Ravensburg.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2021 :  16:52:16  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit to the Polychromatic Dragon discussion - there is Daurgothoth who wants to get the abilities of other dragons, and indeed in part succeded - along his acid breath, he has fire, ice and lightning breath (Cult of the Dragon sourcebook, most info on Daurgothoth's abilities):
https://web.archive.org/web/20060619094705/http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9547.zip

Wyrms of the North article:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20020327a

Daurgothoth also though gone farther, incorprating and creating nw breath weapons, getting a bone spray breath weapon, an undead reanimation, and undead baining breath weapon. He works further spells into draconic breath weapons, including working on making Mordenkainen's disjunction breath weapon. And also plans to return to life from his state as a Dracolich, and create offspring who inherit his accumulated abilities.

He is a bit different from how we therized Polychromatic Dragons come into being (ie he didn't absord other dragons, like even
Tchazzar did), though there might be several paths into becoming a Polychromatic Dragon. It's also would seem if it was the case Daurgothoth ambitions grew beyond becoming a Polychromatic Dragon/embodiment of the Tiamat archetype.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2021 :  18:22:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose to become the archetype of evil dragons requires a more vicious and forceful method of transformation than the good archetype (which may just require meditation and abstinence, etc).

Forcefully merging multiple dragons into the same body kinda fits the bill for an evil transformation.

I dunno about Daurgothoth, i suppose any draconic being could become the archetype if they meet the personality, capability, and achievement requirements, but i dont think Daurgothoth is intentionally trying to do that.

I've often wondered how dragons acquired their abilities, are they innate, did they evolve, were they acquired, etc. No other draconic creatures have much similar abilities and none in the vast quantities of dragons, in fact there are few other material plane creatures with innate spellcasting, spell like abilities, resistances, supernatural abilities, and a breath weapon.

Proto dragons dont have any of the abilities dragons do which leads me to believe they were acquired somehow, and numerous sources allude to dragons being "linked to the weave".

I suspect the spell like abilities and innate spellcasting represent the "link to the weave" wherein some early dragons literally tied themselves and all their children to the weave so they can exploit it without learning how (i wonder how the collapse of the weave in Netheril's time affected dragons).

That leaves the breath weapons and other additional abilities like resistances, shape changing, etc. Thankfully George provided an answer when he detailed a dragon like juggernaut that the sarrukh had created during the 1000 year long war. Serpent Kingdoms details lots of grafts and i believe that many of the unusual abilities of the dragons came from grafts the sarrukh applied to their dragon like creations that then went on to breed with the true dragon survivors of the 1000 year war.

Just my theory, but it explains how Daurgothoth is able to acquire new breath weapons, he is using grafting techniques of ancient sarrukh, and modifying them to work on his undead physiology.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2021 :  22:20:20  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That leaves the breath weapons and other additional abilities like resistances, shape changing, etc. Thankfully George provided an answer when he detailed a dragon like juggernaut that the sarrukh had created during the 1000 year long war. Serpent Kingdoms details lots of grafts and i believe that many of the unusual abilities of the dragons came from grafts the sarrukh applied to their dragon like creations that then went on to breed with the true dragon survivors of the 1000 year war.

Just my theory, but it explains how Daurgothoth is able to acquire new breath weapons, he is using grafting techniques of ancient sarrukh, and modifying them to work on his undead physiology.

That, an interestin idea. By the dragon-like juggernaut, do you mean maybe Orslinn "the Great Slave", or someonthing else?

[EDIT]

with Sarrukh, it's interesting some sources, including Io's first escription in Monster Mythology, stated Io as possibly an aspect fragment of the World Serpent. Asgorath appeared earlier, though the two were only identified explictly latter on (and confirmed to be one and the same by Ed, not just two combined and conflated deities, and further implied Asgorath's connection to the World Serpent, as the "World Dragon").

Asgorath was called a Primordial, though so was Ramenos (who also was mentioned as an aspect of the world serpent, if an "extremelly corrupted" one).

Edited by - Baltas on 08 Aug 2021 23:36:35
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2021 :  21:14:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come up with a new organisation of wilderness warriors (rangers) called the Watchers of the Gap.

I noted Tellerth is independent, almost as though it doesnt feel part of Damara, possibly because there are no other settlements in Polten and it has little contact with other Damarans.

The Giantspire Mountains are nearby and hobgoblins have poured out in the past to threaten Damara, i figure the river and lake is the main defence for Damara against hobgoblins, which means the Barony of Polten is very exposed.

So several periods of hobgoblin hoards and raiding (the most recent from 1269 to 1275) have left the lands east of Icelace River, Lake Mogador, and Great Imphras River mostly abandoned (except for the cities), because the hobgoblins burn down whatever gets built every 50 years or so.

The Watchers of the Gap are the remnants of the people that used to inhabit Polten, they literally watch the Giant Gap in the Giantspire Mountains for whenever the hobgoblins come and harry the monsters as they raid the surrounding lands. The Watchers of the Gap are the reason places like Tellerth survive.

Maryar "Bronne" (Bronne meaning the Rover), known to RAS readers as Mariabronne was one of the Watchers of the Gap and was recruited to fight in King Virdin's army against Zhengyi.

I figure they are allied with the Druids of Olean and the Druids of Lethyr and generally help keep down the monster populations in the Bloodstone Lands.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2021 :  21:23:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Need a name for the war between Damara and Zhengyi.

I'm really stumped on this one.

The Bloodstone Wars is of course the name of Gareth Dragonsbane's war with Zhengyi and his allies, so i cant use that.

- War of Outcasts, a reference to Zhengyi as an outcast Red Wizard, and the bandit army.
- War of the Goat, a direct reference to Orcus
- War of Wiles, a reference to Zhengyi using this war to insinuate his agents into Damara ready for the big betrayal
- War of the Felldrake, a reference to Zhengyi's dracolich allies and Tiamat.

Anyone have any other suggestions

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2021 :  21:29:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

quote:

That, an interestin idea. By the dragon-like juggernaut, do you mean maybe Orslinn "the Great Slave", or someonthing else?

[EDIT]

with Sarrukh, it's interesting some sources, including Io's first escription in Monster Mythology, stated Io as possibly an aspect fragment of the World Serpent. Asgorath appeared earlier, though the two were only identified explictly latter on (and confirmed to be one and the same by Ed, not just two combined and conflated deities, and further implied Asgorath's connection to the World Serpent, as the "World Dragon").

Asgorath was called a Primordial, though so was Ramenos (who also was mentioned as an aspect of the world serpent, if an "extremelly corrupted" one).

Orslinn is who i meant but couldnt remember the name. I think Orslinn survived and mated with dragons and passed on his adaptations. (Draconomicon 2e notes the Eodraco was smaller and didnt have a breathweapon) I figure Orslinn's altered genetics provided the breathweapon and later linking to the weave provided the innate spellcasting and spell like abilities.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2021 :  21:48:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maryar "Bronne" had a magic bastard sword (although in real life that is just a longsword i believe) that is enchanted against dragons.

So i've named this weapon Giant's Pyre (a play on the name Giantspire), and if it inflicts a critical hit against a giant it inflicts a flaming burst.

Maryar used it to slay a cloud giant chieftain in the Giantspire Mountains and it spontaneously acquired the ability.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2021 :  22:28:54  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't have much to add other than I really like the ideas you have. Very complementary to 2nd and 3rd Realms and very respectful of the original source material. I've always felt like Damara really could use some editing from the FR designers since it's not a part of Ed's original Realms, and has a bit tacky elements from Douglas Niles and RAS. I got to say personally I have a profound distaste for Gareth Dragonsbane's name since it's so incredibly generic (probably the most generic name I can think of in fantasy literature... Gary the Dragonkiller, essentially) and un-Realmsian, and obviously trying to draw from Gareth of Arthurian myth, and as well for Zhengyi's title as the "Witch-King" (feels too evocative of LotR's "Witch-King of Angmar", some might even call it plagiarism). Something simple and different like the Lich Lord would have been better imo. But the concepts of Vaasa and Damara aren't themselves bad, it is an interesting region in my opinion, it just needs a bit of editing to be made more in tune with the Realms. And seems like you're doing a nice job of it with this.

BTW checking on the FR wiki, they seem to refer to the war between Zhengyi and Virdin Bloodfeathers as the "Vaasan War", if that was the war you meant.

Edited by - deserk on 10 Aug 2021 22:34:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000