Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Vaasa, damara, narfell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  21:16:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I've had some decent info that explains the creation of the Damaran people and it occurs after the fall of Raumathar and Narfell but a thousand years before the founding of Damara.

Damaran as a racial stock is a great big mix of Arthraen Nar, Chondathan (actually Jhaamic before I think Chondathan existed), Raumathari, Rashemi, and Sossrim. Humanity was nearly driven to extinction in the easting reach following the conflagration so the few survivors mixed together for survival.

The arrival of waves of Chondathans from the fall of Jhaamdath (that region had lots of problems after the big tsunami) added a lot of Jhaam culture and language so I'm happy to use as much of it as I can.

Thay is not a nice neighbour so I don't see any kind of relation developing. Whereas Impiltur and Damara are the same racial stock and are similar in many ways.

However as you say there is plenty of scope for the altering of names and titles. Just look at Latin language based countries today. Further back within places like Italy and Spain there were many differing titles between the smaller nations that shared almost the same language (rather than just being from the same family of language).

I'm merging modern Damarans with Suren Nar though because there are hints that they occupied settlements like Steppenhall and Heliogabalus before Damara was founded so many of them may have been kept as prisoners or even voluntarily stayed (maybe there is a reason they were on the other side of the Giantspire, a demonic inspired region perhaps - I believe most of the xenophobic Suren Nar tribes exist on the west of Narfell and I'm sure Soneillon had a hold over more than a few Suren Nar tribes at many points in history).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  11:45:46  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
I'm going to have to see if I have anything usable pertaining to that. Since I hybridized the rest of Golarion into my Realms, it might not be that easy extracting just one piece of it.

Or, better yet, start posting your Misbegotten Realms work somewhere. I'd love to see how you've made it all fit together :)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  13:54:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having a look through the high history of Impiltur for ideas.

Ive noted a mention of Orcus worshippers twice in Georges work (one an entire city between the Great Dale and Ashanath) and another group in the northern borders of impiltur.

Looks like demon worship was still around in ancient Damara and that not all the ancient Nar survivors liked their Jhaamic migrant neighbours.

I can see the early persecution of Nars by the people of Impiltur as having caused problems for later migrants. Perhaps St Sollars was martyred for a second time in order to pay for the land his people wished to settle (like the dwarves asked for an eye, perhaps the Nar asked for a sacrifice).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  13:58:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few noble families to be included.

Nar- Orbil
Jhaam - Briarmoon, Darthrane, Gilgauntlet

Exiles and outcasts have to go somewhere, Damara is safer than Narfell and the Auldgloam Forest so i figure they end up there.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  19:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love your idea for Baron/Duke titles as naval based from Jhaam settlers. It seems great to form three layers of current population of those lands- oldest nature or demon worshiping nars, later settlement by jhaam who brought "culture" and last weave of settlers after witchking. It is mostly true to original lore and you can mix it to great lengths. There might also be some remnants of giant ruins from times before glacier and tiamat's influence in Vaasa.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  19:41:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there are any ancient ruins in Damara they exist only beneath the surface. The glacier calved off smaller glaciers as it melted and they ploughed through Damara and the auldgloam (lethyr and rawlinswood) leaving it as it is now.

Subterranean ruins may exist but im still deciding where they might be (probably Vaasa)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  02:22:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Ive noted a mention of Orcus worshippers twice in Georges work (one an entire city between the Great Dale and Ashanath) and another group in the northern borders of impiltur.

Looks like demon worship was still around in ancient Damara and that not all the ancient Nar survivors liked their Jhaamic migrant neighbours.

I can see the early persecution of Nars by the people of Impiltur as having caused problems for later migrants. Perhaps St Sollars was martyred for a second time in order to pay for the land his people wished to settle (like the dwarves asked for an eye, perhaps the Nar asked for a sacrifice).
You just made something click in my head...

In older editions, fiends were psionically gifted ('Natural talents'), and it was one of their stronger attributes (fiends don't need to speak out load to each other - they can communicate telepathically, which comes in pretty handy when your living in a firey inferno that sucks all the oxygen out of the room).

Thus, what do you do when a bunch of high-and-mighty know-it-alls with some pisonic aptitude show up on your shores? You summon something that will turn their brains to mush.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  05:35:18  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Vaasa/Damara region the sort-of real-world equivalent of Scandinavia? Yes, I know it's not exactly supposed to be like our real Earth. Kinda like Kara-Tur is not really supposed to be exactly like Asia. But close enough.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  06:49:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i dont know much about scandinavia apart from the vikings. Ive never read about Damara raiding anyone.

Im not intending to model the Damarans on anyone but the lore already available.

As for psionics, George has nicely provided lore in his thread about settlers from Jhaamdath having wild talents and that they are unstable in males.
So Berroch the first bandit lord of the inner sea will be an unstable wild talent that enabled him to take on the fiends and fiend worshippers around.

I figure that st sollars sacrifice united the Jhaam refugees and native Damarans and together allowed them to evict the fiends and fiend worshippers from the lands around. Whether that event was dovine aided or not is down to the reader.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  08:51:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay my preliminary idea for st sollars.

Part of the second wave of migration from the Vilhon Reach in the aftermath of the tsunami. The emergence of a demonic warlord and numerous bandit lords in the reach caused many who resettled the land (after the waters receded) to flee the persecution and exploitation of the weak that followed.

the refugees included a large number of ilmatari faithful who moved to the reach in the preceding century to relieve the suffering of those that survived the tidal wave.

A group of this wave of refugees arrived in the settlement of Red Tree (one of the few friendly settlements in the region and ancestral home of the Damarans) sometime around -100 DR.

The settlement was beset by fiends and fiend worshippers, as were all humans this side of the giantspire mountains. One particularly strong demon, who was more mouth than fiend, arrived on the outskirts every few days demanding a live sacrifice to consume. The new refugees were tasked with selecting one of their own to be the sacrifice in order to be allowed to stay in the settlement.

Sollar the Martyr volunteered and the demon spent 5 whole days consuming the priest alive. On the fifth day the engorged demon split open and perished, whereupon sollars expired.

The death of this strong demon allowed the Damarans some respite to flourish and expand and attract other settlers from nearby. Within a century they would come to dominate the southern portions of Damara and drive off the demon worshippers and their masters.

The secret history of Sollar is that he was not Sollar at all, he was Sollars' twin brother Meldrarn who was caught stealing by one of the bandit lords. His brother (a devout of ilmater) took the blame and was tortured to death over many days (an act that inspired a rebellion and flight from the region).

Shamed, Meldrarn impersonated his dead brother (for none knew Sollar had a ne'er do well twin) and fled with the refugees. His ruse was soon discovered and he was mockingly given the nickname Sollar the Martyr.

None know why Meldrarn volunteered to pay the price for the refugees, maybe it was grief or shame or a new found belief, it is also unknown how he survived so long while being consumed alive, witnesses describe his body regrowing as it was consumed. Thus Sollar the Martyr became known as St Sollar the Twice Martyred and he cemented the worship of Ilmater in Damara.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  16:14:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay my preliminary idea for st sollars.

Part of the second wave of migration from the Vilhon Reach in the aftermath of the tsunami. The emergence of a demonic warlord and numerous bandit lords in the reach caused many who resettled the land (after the waters receded) to flee the persecution and exploitation of the weak that followed.

the refugees included a large number of ilmatari faithful who moved to the reach in the preceding century to relieve the suffering of those that survived the tidal wave.

A group of this wave of refugees arrived in the settlement of Red Tree (one of the few friendly settlements in the region and ancestral home of the Damarans) sometime around -100 DR.

The settlement was beset by fiends and fiend worshippers, as were all humans this side of the giantspire mountains. One particularly strong demon, who was more mouth than fiend, arrived on the outskirts every few days demanding a live sacrifice to consume. The new refugees were tasked with selecting one of their own to be the sacrifice in order to be allowed to stay in the settlement.

Sollar the Martyr volunteered and the demon spent 5 whole days consuming the priest alive. On the fifth day the engorged demon split open and perished, whereupon sollars expired.

The death of this strong demon allowed the Damarans some respite to flourish and expand and attract other settlers from nearby. Within a century they would come to dominate the southern portions of Damara and drive off the demon worshippers and their masters.

The secret history of Sollar is that he was not Sollar at all, he was Sollars' twin brother Meldrarn who was caught stealing by one of the bandit lords. His brother (a devout of ilmater) took the blame and was tortured to death over many days (an act that inspired a rebellion and flight from the region).

Shamed, Meldrarn impersonated his dead brother (for none knew Sollar had a ne'er do well twin) and fled with the refugees. His ruse was soon discovered and he was mockingly given the nickname Sollar the Martyr.

None know why Meldrarn volunteered to pay the price for the refugees, maybe it was grief or shame or a new found belief, it is also unknown how he survived so long while being consumed alive, witnesses describe his body regrowing as it was consumed. Thus Sollar the Martyr became known as St Sollar the Twice Martyred and he cemented the worship of Ilmater in Damara.

What if Sollar was a Solar...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  16:24:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the more human touch in the stories. It lends inspiration to players and readers knowing that a normal person achieved the impossible.

My thoughts are that Sollars had an unknown wild talent that manifested at this point in time that allowed him to regrow his body (although not fast enough to prevent the demon from eating everything but his upper torso).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  18:27:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I prefer the more human touch in the stories. It lends inspiration to players and readers knowing that a normal person achieved the impossible.

My thoughts are that Sollars had an unknown wild talent that manifested at this point in time that allowed him to regrow his body (although not fast enough to prevent the demon from eating everything but his upper torso).

just a note, you do meet St. Sollars I believe in one of the old bloodstone modules (the last one I believe). Might be worth looking at it. Granted, I know you aren't necessarily worried about keeping to canon, but it is noteworthy and ... odd...

EDIT: yeah, I found it. He seems to have once visited the Ravenloft world of the Mask of the Red Death, just like Sleyvas.

#147;"Ahem.#148;"
A polite throat-clearing noise from behind you causes you to spin around, weapons and spells at the ready. But instead of another
demonic threat, you see a short, stocky little man with huge angel#146;s
wings wearing a white robe. He calmly puffs on a cigar as he looks
at you. #147;"I#146;'m Saint Sollars. Pleased ta meetcha,"#148; he says.

Indeed, this is St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred, patron saint of Bloodstone Pass, whose sigil is the Yellow Rose and the Lone Star. He magically conjures a table with a large pitcher of beer and enough mugs for everybody, and begins to pour.

"#147;I guess you#146;ve figgered out by now that that bad hombre you#146;'ve been fightin#146; is Orcus himself, the meanest dude this side o#146; the Pecos",#148; St. Sollars says, taking a deep swallow from his mug. He doesn#146;t explain what, exactly, the Pecos is. "#147;The big boss, ol#146; Bahamut,
don#146;t much like Orcus, and especially don#146;t want him messin#146; round this plane, you unnerstand. #147;The only way to corral that there demon an#146; git him off#146;n your backs once and for all is to corral that big skull stick o#146; his and bring it to me at my spread out Mercuria way, over in the Seven Heavens, and I#146;ll tell yuh how to git rid o#146; it. Any questions?#148;"

You look at each other, then one of you finally says, "#147;Are you talking
about stealing the Wand of Orcus from the Abyss and bringing
it to the Seven Heavens?#148;"

#147;"Yup",#148; says St. Sollars, scratching himself. #147;"You got it."#148;

St. Sollars will answer seven questions asked by the PCs. He grants clerics a full, instant recharge of all spells (warning them that once they travel to the Abyss, they cannot recharge any but first- and second-level spells). He explains that the pool of mercury
will take them to Pazunia, top layer of the Abyss, and that they will then have to discover the way to the plane of Orcus. Then he vanishes, taking the beer with him, but the smell of cheap cigar smoke lingers.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 14 Dec 2016 18:43:37
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  18:34:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really, i did not know that. Ive generally overlooked the bloodstone adventures because what little i read of them was so unrealmsian (probably because they werent originally set in the realms).

Ta for the heads up, ill go and check it out.

I was originally going to change sollars name to be a bit more calishite in structure like Syl Lar making it a title of sorts like Syl Pasha. But im not sure at this point.

Going to look at Morov this week for some basic details.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  18:48:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is really bad. Are they in the realms or in the old west

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  19:33:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before he was a 'Best Selling Author', he was a TSR game designer.

His penchant for silly names was never outgrown.

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Is Vaasa/Damara region the sort-of real-world equivalent of Scandinavia? Yes, I know it's not exactly supposed to be like our real Earth. Kinda like Kara-Tur is not really supposed to be exactly like Asia. But close enough.
Finland would be the closest equivalent; although its technically part of Scandanavia, its culture and language is closer to that of the Baltic States (so its a bit of a 'hybrid').

If we say our Jhaamdathan Refugees are the 'Swedes' in this scenario, then it all fits: originally a more Slavic/Baltic-type culture, which inherited LOTS of stuff from 'invaders'. Of course, Jhaamdath was nothing like ancient Sweden (our 'Northmen' are on the other side of Faerūn), so its not really like Finland at all... but that would probably be the closest analogy I could give you.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Dec 2016 19:36:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  20:05:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently got my hands on the Known World supplement Orcs of Thar, and there are names in there that make me cringe far more than Bistro Battenrooj or The Thunkers of the Thunkers...

See if you can guess which humanoid peoples live in each of these areas: High Gobliny, Bugburbia, Kol, Trollhattan, and Gnollistan. Go on, guess!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  21:00:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad that supplement wasnt shoe horned into the realms.

Out of interest who wrote it. Even I can come up with a better name than that (although not by much)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  21:21:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Barony of Morov.

Part of the Crown Lands. The first three regions to become part of the Kingdom of Damara when Feldrin Bloodfeathers led the 5 mercenary companies to victory over the Suren Nar.

So it was occupied in 1076 DR and since Heliogabalus sounds a bit like Bildobaris I'm going with Heliogabalus being the Suren name for the trademoot site in the west.

Feldrin built his castle on the site of the hill where the Essta's (warlords) erected their tents on the shore of Lake Mogador (Suren name for Lake of Heroes).

Morov was originally called Morovvar by the Damarans (meaning land of the Moros which at the time (around 400DR) was the strongest tribe of Damarans in the region - the Moros then lost the land to the Suren around 650 DR.

On the outskirts of Helgabal (the Damaran name for the capital) outside the city walls is an old line of hills which was where they buried their honoured dead. As people have built upon the area (slums mostly that are abandoned in times of war) the ghosts of the Suren Essta's have been seen to ride through the streets leaving the occasional body for those who dig for trinkets.

House Banacath is directly related to Feldrin and Dimian Ree was the 27th of the line so the noble house was likely established early in Damara's history and probably awarded to a second son of Feldrin who would not become King and instead founded his own house. The large number of lords means that intrigue assassination or accidental death are the cause of the high attrition rate.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  02:12:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I recently got my hands on the Known World supplement Orcs of Thar, and there are names in there that make me cringe far more than Bistro Battenrooj or The Thunkers of the Thunkers...

See if you can guess which humanoid peoples live in each of these areas: High Gobliny, Bugburbia, Kol, Trollhattan, and Gnollistan. Go on, guess!
Which is why I decided against adding it into my Misbegotten Realms mashup setting. Just about everything else from Mystara made it in, but that. There just wasn't enough usable substance left after you skimmed-off the silly.

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  07:06:35  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Finland would be the closest equivalent; although its technically part of Scandanavia, its culture and language is closer to that of the Baltic States (so its a bit of a 'hybrid').

If we say our Jhaamdathan Refugees are the 'Swedes' in this scenario, then it all fits: originally a more Slavic/Baltic-type culture, which inherited LOTS of stuff from 'invaders'. Of course, Jhaamdath was nothing like ancient Sweden (our 'Northmen' are on the other side of Faerūn), so its not really like Finland at all... but that would probably be the closest analogy I could give you.

Thanks for confirming that Markustay. That was my hunch about the Vaasa (FR) region. I'm fairly strong on (our real-world) medieval and ancient history, and I knew that Vasa (sometimes spelled Vaasa) had been a prominent name in Sweden and Finland, being one of the great noble houses of Sweden since the middle ages, also the great name of one of Sweden's greatest warrior-kings, Gustav Vasa. It's also an ancient town in Finland, and everyone knows that Finland had been a "province" of the Kingdom of Sweden for hundreds of years, which only ended when Napoleon Bonaparte (in one of the many Napoleonic wars) forced Sweden to let go of Finland.

I'm agreeable with the idea of making them an inland "Finno-Slavic-Baltic analogy" rather than Swedish-Scandinavian (with its connotation of coastal Vikings). After all, there are already too many "barbarian Viking tropes" in the Realms, way way way too many already IMHO ….. from the Uthgards, the coastal Northmen, the Luskans-Illuskans, etc. Plus don't forget the Regheds.

Hell, I even have a recent official WotC-published picture of what the Reghed northerners look like. And it sceams of fantasy Barbarian-Viking trope. This was from an illustrator who did illustrations for SCAG.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5522c82de4b0fd282f09b473/t/57dac57d29687fdaba269237/1473955225994/lake_hurwitz_x9_wotc_reghedfightwolf.jpg
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  14:40:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is really bad. Are they in the realms or in the old west

I know right... I just had to post it because THAT was my exact response when I read it years ago. Then I recalled that my own main character from the 90's was known for toting a pair of six shooters with bullets that were enchanted with shock spells, having a history that involved living over a decade on Earth in the old west for Masque of the Red Death (after he had reluctantly served Bane in Ravenloft). He was riddled with guilt for being with his mistress when his wife died accidentally at the hands of a paladin. He had married a witch on Earth later out of loneliness, only to have her erase the memory of their child together when she aided his return to Toril. When I look back on his old history it was bad....

Not that I learned... only 2 years ago I was playing Beorn Thundarrson (as in the son of Thundarr the barbarian), who read a bunch of old Marvel comics he found in some old ruins as a kid, and found that he had awakened the spirit of Thor within himself. So, he would have occasional flashbacks in game of working with Captain America, Iron Man, etc... Oh, and though we never got around to it, I was hoping to work in that Thundarr with his sun sword was in fact a reborn Frey. So, it was something where his family bloodline was descended from some human who long ago had "housed" Thor or some other Norse deity.

Sometimes the funnest things to play have a little cheese on them.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 15 Dec 2016 14:48:11
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  14:50:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lol, I thought I was one of the few who actually got Bistro Battenrooj, being from Louisiana.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  16:08:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Further thoughts regarding the suren nar in Damara.

The tribes in the east of Narfell are xenophobic whereas the tribes in the west (nearest Damara and the giantspire mountains) are the friendliest.

Now Soneillon has been known to charm some of the Nar chiefs, she doesnt like such a brute force method because it rarely works, but is fine for primitives and requires less planning.

So what if the Suren Nar in the west are usually her thralls and made friendly so they can trade trapped trinkets to those they meet.

In the past though they were charmed to attack Impiltur.

So the treasure located in the tomb hills around heliogabalus is trapped and will make you soneillons servant. Plus a number of minor merchants families have heirlooms (some also have Suren blood) and have been unknowingly (sometimes knowingly) servants of soneillon for centuries.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  17:56:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Lol, I thought I was one of the few who actually got Bistro Battenrooj, being from Louisiana.

I used to live in Biloxi, MS, so I'd been to Baton Rouge once or twice.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  21:01:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few extra thoughts.

When the demon consumed St Sollars it spilled out hundreds of yellow flowers (a type know to brew a great antacid tea) when it split in half.

Heliogabalus was original just a tent horse meeting point for ceremonial rituals and trade meets.

When Feldrin conquered Heliogabalus he immediately began building his castle/palace atop the rise a half days walk from the lake. The city of Helgabal gradually sprang up around it as those attending court built their own holds nearby and their servants erected shacks.

When the Nar horde that attacked Impiltur it sacked the undefended city of Helgabal and burned it to the ground (the people taking shelter within the palace or fleeing into the countryside). Helgabal was completely rebuilt but the extensive cellars beneath the holds and town houses remained and are now used by the thieves guild who have extended them into a shadow city.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2016 :  22:41:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A few extra thoughts.

When the demon consumed St Sollars it spilled out hundreds of yellow flowers (a type know to brew a great antacid tea) when it split in half.

Heliogabalus was original just a tent horse meeting point for ceremonial rituals and trade meets.

When Feldrin conquered Heliogabalus he immediately began building his castle/palace atop the rise a half days walk from the lake. The city of Helgabal gradually sprang up around it as those attending court built their own holds nearby and their servants erected shacks.

When the Nar horde that attacked Impiltur it sacked the undefended city of Helgabal and burned it to the ground (the people taking shelter within the palace or fleeing into the countryside). Helgabal was completely rebuilt but the extensive cellars beneath the holds and town houses remained and are now used by the thieves guild who have extended them into a shadow city.

I believe those yellow flowers were actually yellow roses... from Texas...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  18:30:24  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hope thats a joke but i suspect not.

Another idea.

Given the frontier nature and frequent humanoid and monster raids in Damara i think it sensible that all houses have a bolt hole, a small tunnel leading some 10ft from the house that allows the inhabitants to escape.

Larger richer houses have whole cellars and multiple tunnels leading away.

Of course Helgabal is unusual in that it was flattened and many people killed in the tunnels and now reclaimed by thieves so that practice has fallen out of favour (plus its now got a huge wall around the city)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2016 :  09:05:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A thought about the demoncysts. What if it grows like a cancer, with ganglia extending out in several directions and then forming a cyst at certain distances.

The cyst allows more ganglia to grow. Thats how the cysts reached vaasa (i dont believe narfell could have had much of a presencr in vaasa at the time given the ice) and how it reached sossal which was raumathar controlled at the time.

The pcs can clear out the cyst and kill the ganglia but you have to kill them all to eradicate it.

Oh and soargars wards prevent the ganglia from growing into impiltur.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2016 :  09:33:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that take - its like 'pure evil' has a life all its own.

If left unchecked, the cyst-em could encompass an entire world (like cancer), and the world gets pulled into the lower planes (thus eradicating a piece of 'reality' and bringing the universe another step closer to entropy).

EDIT:
This could explain, in-part, how the Abyss is 'endless' - its always growing (thats how it gains new layers). It would also mean you could find unlikely allies in Devils, because they don't want the demons getting stronger, and they also have a very different agenda (they want to rule the world, not destroy it). "Deals with the Devil".

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Dec 2016 09:36:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000