Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Abeir-Toril: Round or Flat?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Richtin
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  02:49:28  Show Profile  Visit Richtin's Homepage Send Richtin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the only way to have ice caps is for a sphirical world!!!!!!!
how do you explain that Cardinal Deimos?!?!?!?!?!

"Where in the Nine Hells did you ever get the notion that I would fight fair?"
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  04:09:35  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you so certain of that? Tsk, tsk. Beware how much reasoning you base things on for you will find that there are things that will defy all known logic and known laws. As for an ice cap? Two points can come to mind, First the Ice simply always was (but that is actually untrue) and the second deals with The slumbering god Ulutiu and his necklace with which is the reason for the Ice cap. Dig down and take the Ice Necklace from the heart of the cap... perhaps it will melt?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  04:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Deimos... Insane as always... Must be the lich talking...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  04:57:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Flat and curved? Ah, so now you're getting into higher spatial dimensions, are you? You'd need at least four spatial dimensions for that to happen in the perspective of a three-dimensional viewpoint.

Seriously, I'm not sure how you could think of the planet as flat.

And, any form of reality that in scope, makes use of dimensions beyond the standard four spatial dimensions of our universe, would be completely inaccessible for exploration by humanity anyway (given our current biological forms of course...)

Cardinal, have you been reading about Sigil? Your thoughts on this subject seem strangely reminiscent of something I read on another forum regarding the 'torus' -shaped structure of the City of Doors...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  06:07:39  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas, Sage were it so easily to blame our thoughts on recent readings, but alas we have not. Would you be as so kind to elaborate this torus' shape idea? We always heard the City of Doors was ring shaped... Perhaps Faerun is this Torus shape?
Reason's over rated, brought to you by the illogical society for a better go around

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown

Edited by - The Cardinal on 03 Apr 2004 06:09:16
Go to Top of Page

Richtin
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  06:08:20  Show Profile  Visit Richtin's Homepage Send Richtin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DARN YOU
you are making my think twice about it. on second thoght you do have a piont there that i cannot argue. perhaps you are right?? i will be doing some investigating to see the true answer.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  09:25:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cardinal, a torus (in geometry), is a surface generated by rotating a circle around an axis that is in the plane of the circle, but that does not intersect the circle. I offer a doughnut, the inner tube of an inflatable tire, or the surface formed by bending a cylinder into a ring as all common examples of tori.

Now, how this relates to Sigil...

An excerpt from the now famous What is Planescape scroll -
quote:
It's a city shaped like the inside of a tire. If you look in the sky, you can see the rest of the streets and buildings curving up on all sides and stretching in an arc across the sky. It's incredibly densely populated, with most buildings many stories in height with shacks and lean-tos all built along it. The roads are mostly narrow and winding, often cut off from the sky completely or stretching through the skyway on bridges from building to building. There's one waterway, a moving avenue of filth and excrement called the Ditch - there are portals within it to various real rivers (even the upper-planar Oceanus) but they add fresh water only rarely, and for brief periods.

I hope that has helped somewhat Cardinal...

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  18:01:51  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your always a help, Sage. Always.

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Richtin
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  20:01:59  Show Profile  Visit Richtin's Homepage Send Richtin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But if it was as an odd shape like that, with so many educated people wouldnt some one have said some where that this "torus" shape was or was not Aber-toril's shape?????

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  21:26:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richtin

But if it was as an odd shape like that, with so many educated people wouldnt some one have said some where that this "torus" shape was or was not Aber-toril's shape?????

It is clearly stated in more than one source that Toril is round.

Though I no longer have any Planescape stuff, I do recall it being stated that the city of Sigil was built on the inside of a torus.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  22:58:44  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be at peace friend Richtin, you are more or less correct. Many seem to agree that Toril is spherical in shape, but it has yet to be proven. Things that are believed now can yet be disproven. Ideas that are accepted may yet be found wanting. Besides if it is a Sphere in shape, then how large is the sphere? It may just be so large that one could never sail around in in their life time. Who knows, keep you thoughts but always remember that they may never be right... of course what do we know, we're stark raving mad.

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  00:31:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

Be at peace friend Richtin, you are more or less correct. Many seem to agree that Toril is spherical in shape, but it has yet to be proven. Things that are believed now can yet be disproven. Ideas that are accepted may yet be found wanting. Besides if it is a Sphere in shape, then how large is the sphere? It may just be so large that one could never sail around in in their life time. Who knows, keep you thoughts but always remember that they may never be right... of course what do we know, we're stark raving mad.

What's to prove? Realmspace clearly says its a sphere. Spheres are round last I knew......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Richtin
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  01:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Richtin's Homepage Send Richtin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my dear freind cardinal deimos any more can you be unlogical and logical at the same time??? hahahahaha!!!! too true, to true!!!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  02:11:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd think that the fact that people have been in orbit around Toril, and have seen that it is, in fact, a sphere, kinda conclusively proves it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2004 :  09:41:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to add a little note of finality to this scroll...

The Realmspace tome clearly defines Toril's planet type as, spherical earth body.

On a slightly related note, I remember reading something a while back that stated (in 2e terms) that Crystal Spheres could only contain spheroid-shape celestial bodies.

But I found the argument to be unsupported by direct evidence. I mean, one need only look to the "planet" of Garden in Realmspace to see that such a perspective has no basis...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  05:40:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? I remember the Spelljammer books visited a crystal sphere that was a natural Dyson sphere. Now there's a world you could explore forever!

What's Garden, by the way? I'm drawing a blank.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  05:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really? I remember the Spelljammer books visited a crystal sphere that was a natural Dyson sphere. Now there's a world you could explore forever!

And I'm drawing a blank on what a Dyson sphere is. Sorry if my scientific knowledge just isn't as wide as yours...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  05:57:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

And I'm drawing a blank on what a Dyson sphere is. Sorry if my scientific knowledge just isn't as wide as yours...

A Dyson sphere is a constructed sphere that totally encloses a star.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  06:05:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's okay.

Dyson was a guy who had a bit of time on his hands, and thought about how the sun was rather wasteful. After all, it's pumping out energy in every direction, and the only part that's getting any use is the stuff headed our way. (Of course, this defines "useful" as "doing humans some good," but most people get the idea.)

So he said that to fix this problem, people in the future should build a sphere around the sun, thus potentially puting all of the star's energy to work. If you made it as large in diameter as Earth's orbit, you'd have around ten billion times (give or take) the surface area of our home planet.

Of course, Dyson's sphere has a few obstacles. For one, there would be almost no gravity to the inhabitants. You could "hang" the habitats so that the star is actually at your feet (this is how the Dyson spheres in Howard Tayler's SF comedy Schlock Mercenary work), but even then the gravity would be very light. This can be solved by shrinking the diameter, but that also increases the amount of energy per square increment that your new home has to absorb.

Finally, the biggest obstacle is the price tag. And you thought your first house was bad? It's no accident that the Dyson spheres in the above tale carry an alien name that roughly translates to "This was expensive to build."

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  06:58:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen a couple of Dyson spheres in Sci-Fi tales... One was called Big (Illegal Aliens) and another was called Light Trap (the Black Hole Travel Agency books).

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Apr 2004 06:59:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  14:10:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Arivia, you may want to look over one of the most accurate Dyson Sphere FAQ listings that I could find. It should provide you with enough basic information.

Bookwyrm, Garden is part of the Torilian system in Realmspace, the seventh 'planet' orbiting the sun. The reason I made a comment upon this earlier is because, officially, Garden isn't a spheroid, or a planet. It's a cluster earth body. These clusters of earth lay relatively close to each other, and they are said to be anchored in place (and to each other) by the roots of a gigantic 'Yggdrasil'-type tree.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2004 :  16:55:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good link, Sage.

Looks like I had two too many extra zeros, though.

Go to Top of Page

Richtin
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  03:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Richtin's Homepage Send Richtin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so are you saying aber-toil is flat, spherical, dyson sphere or torus shaped?? too many choises!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  03:57:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It happens...

I once modelled a location (inside a Dyson's Sphere) for use in one of my BattleTech games...The only problem was the poor calculations that I'd first used to originally create the sphere in terms of hex-grids...

It wasn't until I found this FAQ, that I realised how 'off' my workings had been...

Go to Top of Page

Richtin
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  04:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Richtin's Homepage Send Richtin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
??????????so which one is it???????????????????

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  04:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage, and Bookwyrm...this scroll now makes slightly more sense...although some of it still makes my head hurt...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  04:08:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richtin, I'd already mentioned that the Realmspace tome says that Toril is a spheroid-shaped celestial body (shaped like Earth, if that helps...). So that, should answer your heavily questioned-marked query...

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  07:32:35  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or does it?
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  08:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Cardinal, but you're outvoted. Unless, of course, you can think of a better argument than maniacal laughter.

You shouldn't do that, anyway. That's Rule # 20. Despite its proven stress-relieving effect, it makes one susceptible to being distracted. Like in regards to that rogue who’s sneaking up behind you.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  12:21:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or does it?
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yes, if you have an alternate view Cardinal (well supported by evidence I hope), then I'd like to hear it...?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000