Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Products By The Scribes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1900 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  03:55:06  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed it

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2672 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  04:06:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I didn't post here, because I had already made a thread when Mournblade asked, and thought that it would have been redundant to comment here too.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

R P Davis
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2017 :  00:30:23  Show Profile  Visit R P Davis's Homepage Send R P Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a few things posted to DMs Guild, found here.

Nothing of Realmslore, because I'm not at all qualified, but since it must be Realms to go up on DMs Guild if it's an adventure or location, it's Realms.

Edited to add: One thing I discovered is it's damned difficult to put a town, no matter how small, in the Realms, if it's created of whole cloth. The more I drill down, the more populated the dratted place is. Of course, after I put Eastbrook in Archendale, I found a map of the Dalelands which shows some of my assumptions about distance and stuff are false.

I'm inspired, though, to select a small settlement somewhere in Cormyr or - since George is here! - Impiltur to set another adventure starting location. Now I know about Candlekeep, I can at least run my ideas past people who know infinitely more about the Realms to see if my ideas are contradicted somewhere in canon.

Cheers,

Bob
www.r-p-davis.com

Edited by - R P Davis on 15 Mar 2017 00:35:53
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2017 :  03:33:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off topic, but I have to throw this in.

R P: it may feel difficult to place a whole new town/city in Cormyr or the Dales, if you want to avoid overwriting things already written in previous editions... but as far as I can tell the 5e Realms are still pretty sparsely detailed. It would be easy for the Spellplague and the Sundering and their associated natural/unnatural disasters and mutant monsters and population movements to have wiped out any given town, which DMs can replace with your work. Writing in 5e also reduces the need to be an "expert" on Realmslore to basically zero. If your settlement makes sense (meaning there's places for people to live and places to work and places to get groceries and equipment) and you can add some ties to other nearby settlements (trade, alliances, rivalries, etc) then it's good stuff.

If you really want a tract of land you can do *anything* with, without any danger of stepping on toes or being contradicted by upcoming WotC products, raise your flags on one of Toril's other continents, or the other planets/moons in Toril's sphere, and create some "keyed" portals from your lands to Faerun. Keyed meaning it requires a certain talisman or spell or time-of-day (or anything else) to use the portals. This handily explains how your civilization has grown and thrived and even interacted with Faerun without anybody on Faerun really knowing anything for certain about your people.

Never shy away from creating new lore.

Please never fall into the trap of thinking that there are no stones left unturned, even in heavily populated areas... that way lies the wrong-headed blasphemy of the 4e design.

My 2 cents. Enjoy the Realms!

Edit: And yes, definitely feel free to ask questions and bounce ideas off us. We have hard noggins!

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 15 Mar 2017 03:35:46
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4834 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2017 :  07:59:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R P Davis

I'm inspired, though, to select a small settlement somewhere in Cormyr or - since George is here! - Impiltur to set another adventure starting location. Now I know about Candlekeep, I can at least run my ideas past people who know infinitely more about the Realms to see if my ideas are contradicted somewhere in canon.

Xaeyruudh is right - don't be scared to put something in. Oh and Impiltur has heaps of room for small towns and a gazillion villages, not to mention ranches and farming collectives in the Uplands. I'd love to see what other people can do with the place.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 15 Mar 2017 07:59:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000