Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Ed is writing Realms for the DMGuild!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  13:52:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
quote:
It's official... the Archmage is writing in the Forgotten Realms!
==========================
The Ed Greenwood Group is pleased to announce a special Forgotten Realms® project: guides and adventures that explore the unexplored. Each year Ed Greenwood, The Archmage, will write a guide to a different part of the Realms and to accompany this guide his company will publish four role playing adventures. Three adventures will come from the minds of his Sessoirum of Creatives and one slot a year will be held open for a contribution from the Realms fans.
Details on how fans can submit their works for considerations with more on the adventures and guides will be posted at www.OnderLibrum.com soon.
The guides and adventures will be published by The Ed Greenwood Group, supported by Onder Broadcasting and made available to the public via Wizards of the Coast’s Dungeon Master’s Guild program and OneBookshelf, their designated distributor
--------------IN ADDITION--------------
The Office of Ed Greenwood is pleased to announce that Ed Greenwood, The Archmage, will be writing a brand new series of linked novellas and adventures featuring Mirt, the very first character in the Forgotten Realms®. This annual two-volume set will be published by The Ed Greenwood Group, supported by Onder Broadcasting and made available to the public via Wizards of the Coast’s Dungeon Master’s Guild program and OneBookshelf, their designated distributor.
============================
[editorial note: THIS is going to be EPIC!!!]
[*rubs hands eagerly*]

https://www.facebook.com/onderlibrum/posts/1675395132714421

This is just awesome!

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  14:01:30  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
!!!
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  14:16:55  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I just wet myself a little.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  15:29:46  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness. Today just keeps getting better...

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  16:27:05  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best Realms news I've heard in 15 years. I've been saving a scroll of Freedom for Volo for just such an occasion! I still hold he was the recipient of an Imprisonment spell or he's probably been serving as a polymorphed chamber pot somewhere.

Can't wait!

Edited by - Eilserus on 26 Jan 2016 16:27:20
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  17:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very excited for this to come to fruition!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  17:07:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am quite stoked about this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  20:28:29  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll admit, I skipped in to work today when I read this.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  20:36:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interested to see what project will come first.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  21:55:42  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great news!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  22:28:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see the public annnouncement for this. More info coming soon as I understand. What areas of the Realms do you think Ed would like to update and add information to? When I ask this, I note that the likelihood of Ed playing directly in WotC's current sandbox (i.e. Cormyr, Neverwinter, Menzo etc.) is remote ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  23:08:53  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

I think I just wet myself a little.

Although I totally understand, that may be a little TMI...

Ed writing new guides confirms there is a god.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  03:25:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Glad to see the public annnouncement for this. More info coming soon as I understand. What areas of the Realms do you think Ed would like to update and add information to? When I ask this, I note that the likelihood of Ed playing directly in WotC's current sandbox (i.e. Cormyr, Neverwinter, Menzo etc.) is remote ...

-- George Krashos

The ruins of Shoonach were called the South's Undermountain, I'd love to see another sweet adventure book in that format. Tethyamar for an adventure would rock too. Whatever happened to the Army of Gold and their efforts to retake Deep Shanatar? The Deep Kingdom? Earthfast? I'm game for anything dwarves.

Cities surrounding the Lake of Steam or The Jungles of Chult. Thay and the Red Wizards.

Any plans on writing an Impiltur sourcebook George? That area strikes me a great spot for prime time coverage as a campaign center much like the Dales, Cormyr etc.

Can't believe how hard it is to try to pick something!

Edited by - Eilserus on 27 Jan 2016 03:45:09
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  06:02:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plans? Plenty of plans, just no time or skill/ability to churn out a fully-fledged, detailed product that people would think was any good and pay $$ for!

I plan to produce several Impiltur articles for the DMs Guild but I'll stay in my comfort zone - timelines, magic items, spells and "bits and pieces".

My capacity to write a proper sourcebook in the forseeable future is next to nil unfortunately. In 20 or so years when I've developed enough stuff incrementally, there might be a chance! Of course, any such product would be set in the 1370s DR ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  14:41:42  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! ^_^

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  20:26:20  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything in the 2e/3e timeframe.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  22:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next year is the 10th anniversary of the Grand History of the Realms. I think it's time that the fans saw your expanded Realms timeline George!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  22:38:27  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Thank the Gods if that is the case. So tired of over those places being the only ones constantly covered.

Man, oh man it would be unspeakably awesome if Ed covered some of the less popular areas of Faerun. Shining South, Tashtan Coast, Lake of Steam, Vilhon Reach, Cold Lands would be amazing. :)

Edited by - deserk on 27 Jan 2016 22:39:29
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  23:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Next year is the 10th anniversary of the Grand History of the Realms. I think it's time that the fans saw your expanded Realms timeline George!

I second this. If I need to make an account for my three ferrets in order to get this motion to go forward (doubtful,) consider it done!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  23:24:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or that long-discussed Cormyr lineage...

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2016 :  00:56:08  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Plans? Plenty of plans, just no time or skill/ability to churn out a fully-fledged, detailed product that people would think was any good and pay $$ for!

I plan to produce several Impiltur articles for the DMs Guild but I'll stay in my comfort zone - timelines, magic items, spells and "bits and pieces".

My capacity to write a proper sourcebook in the forseeable future is next to nil unfortunately. In 20 or so years when I've developed enough stuff incrementally, there might be a chance! Of course, any such product would be set in the 1370s DR ...

-- George Krashos

That's not true at all. You've put out some outstanding material that can definitely stand on it's own in the DM Guild, especially your historical materials on elven kingdoms.

If you need a free editor/proof reader, I will volunteer! You do excellent work.
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2016 :  19:50:30  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And in case anyone hasn't seen it, George put up at least one article on Impiltur. I just downloaded it for reading on the train ride home from work!

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  06:15:06  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually wish Ed would release a book about his home campaign, or a guide to the home Realms. I honestly believe that it would be incredibly popular, and that many of us here would download it in a second. I know that I would, and all of the potential that it would hold would just be incredible.

Of course, that's just me and wishful thinking. :-)

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  08:54:51  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christ on a bike - best Realms news for ages!!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  12:24:17  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

I actually wish Ed would release a book about his home campaign, or a guide to the home Realms. I honestly believe that it would be incredibly popular, and that many of us here would download it in a second. I know that I would, and all of the potential that it would hold would just be incredible.

Of course, that's just me and wishful thinking. :-)

That would be great!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  16:41:27  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is fantastic. I am so curious if this will bypass any NDAs and give us answers we've drooled over for years :)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  19:13:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris Perkins commented on this news, supporting the project.

https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/692933253381103616
''I'm very much looking forward to seeing new FR adventure content and regional lore from @TheEdVerse delivered via the Dungeon Masters Guild!''

https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/692995512811819008
''If Ed says something is true in the Realms, it's true. That said, one shouldn't get too hung up on canon.''

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  21:54:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not happy seeing someone at WotC say "one shouldn't get too hung up on canon." The continuity of the Realms was one of its strong points for a long time, and problems happened when that was discontinued.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  22:00:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm not happy seeing someone at WotC say "one shouldn't get too hung up on canon." The continuity of the Realms was one of its strong points for a long time, and problems happened when that was discontinued.

I think that he meant to say something along the lines of ''the Realms are yours''. It kinda is their 5e catch phrase, afer all.

Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  01:53:33  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think it's more of an attempt to encourage people to use DM's Guild content. Unless WotC is really taken by something, then all of the DM's Guild content is non-canon. If people are getting too caught up with whether something is canon than they aren't going to want to buy anything from DM's Guild.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  02:29:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is "canon" now with the advent of the DM's Guild? Some might say it remains only the "official" WotC released products. Others will say it is those products and anything written by Ed. Another group will say that canon includes anything by Elaine Cunningham, or Steven Schend, or Eric Boyd. I think Chris Perkins has the right of it - just enjoy the Realms, play in it, create in it and have fun. Everyone should make their own "canon", cherrypick what they like and go for it. It's not like WotC are about to publish a FRCS 5E and invalidate anyone's work on anything - it's clear that's not what they intend to do with their stable of established campaign settings anymore. The Realms is about to see a huge proliferation of information, material and lore. Some or all of it will be "canon" to different individuals. That's just the way it is now.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 21 Apr 2016 14:21:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000