Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Adventure sites in the Daggerford area
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  22:54:20  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm running a campaign set in Daggerford and am looking for all the various interesting places where an adventurer could do some adventurin'. The campaign takes place around 1354 DR, so before the ToT.

I'm looking for specific places, not just "Lizard Marsh", but more like "the ruined tower of blah blah mage in the Lizard Marsh".

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  04:16:24  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can get a copy of the old Under Illefarn adventure, it has a detailed multi-level dungeon for adventurers based in Daggerford. I converted the maps to CC2 years ago, and you can find them on my website. Eric Boyd was working on expanding the adventure there at one time, but I don't know if he ever finished it.

North of Daggerford is the Ardeep Forest, which has some interesting locations in it that were detailed by Greenwood in Dragon #270.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  06:41:42  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a copy of it, it's pretty great. That would be awesome to see an expanded version.

Thanks for posting the link to your maps, they are very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Acolyte

Luxembourg
30 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  20:04:59  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another nice source of information could be Elminster's Ecologies Appendix II: the High Moor & the Serpent Hills
These are quite nearby as well.

And I haven't gotten my hands on it myself yet, but the Hordes of Dragonspear adventure might prove interesting as well.
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  20:05:21  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you run Under Illefarn already? As much time as I spent on the maps, and trying to flesh out the NPCs, I never got around to running it. :(

I've done a search to locate Eric's expansion. I can see mentions of it here and there, and talk about it being available at the Wizards website, but I couldn't find a link to download it. Maybe someone else knows where it is?

In my searches, I came across this, which you might find helpful. There's a regional map of the Daggerford area (41), a map of the immediate vicinity (42), and a map of the town itself (47). They're $1.75 each, but they're very well done and you might find them useful. (Disclaimer: I'm not associated with the artist in any way, and won't get a cut of money. Darn it.) :)

--
Erskine Fincher
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  21:48:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

I've done a search to locate Eric's expansion. I can see mentions of it here and there, and talk about it being available at the Wizards website, but I couldn't find a link to download it. Maybe someone else knows where it is?

His hard drive. It's not been distributed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  22:45:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, you never know. Fingers crossed.

-- George

P.S. It's on my hard drive too.

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  23:09:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George

Teasing us like that is pure evil.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  23:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

-- George

Teasing us like that is pure evil.

I'm sure a few choice people have seen it, if their insight was sought. I'm not saying I'm one of them, because I'm certainly NOT. (Nor would I claim to be.)

More to the topic:

The best information available for a 1350ish Daggerdale campaign can be found in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, the adventure Doom of Daggerdale, and the Daggerdale adventure series The Sword of the Dales, The Secret of Spiderhaunt, and The Return of Randal Morn. While the adventures and Volo's Guide are set in the 1360s DR, the background and lore could certainly be "reverse engineered" for adventures.

- Ryan

Edited by - Rymac on 19 Jan 2016 01:00:37
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  02:02:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually not more to the topic, friend Rymac. Daggerford, not Daggerdale.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  04:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually not more to the topic, friend Rymac. Daggerford, not Daggerdale.

-- George Krashos

Don't I feel stupid now.

In that case, let us not forget FRQ2 Hordes Of Dragonspear and Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast.

- Ryan

Edited by - Rymac on 19 Jan 2016 04:44:07
Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  05:33:21  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, great tips all around.

I have read Hordes of Dragonspear and sadly it doesn't have any actual info on Dragonspear Castle itself!

I haven't run any of the adventures in Under Illefarn yet, but I plan on running at least a couple of the adventures. I also teased a rumor about a black dragon being in the Lizard Marsh, which got the player's interest.
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Acolyte

Luxembourg
30 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  20:13:56  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking for a black dragon?
Try Antharzyreph, the Scourge of Axe and Arrow

I must admit that I do not know how to post a link to another post, but here's the way on how to find more information about this lizard:

In this forum go to: Realmslore > Chamber of Sages > Questions for Eric L Boyd

On page 33, the last post is about the dragon itself.
Additional info about it can be found on page 34 in the 3rd post (Redeye ... who by the way is a major NPC from the first adventure in Under Illefarn)
and especially the 9th post History of Runedarth ... which relates how the water in the last adventure came to be poisoned.
Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2016 :  02:49:01  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good one. I was thinking of having the black dragon that survived the attack on Dragonspear Castle reside in the Lizard Marsh.
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2016 :  03:04:47  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have an early draft as well. :)

I hope it gets released!

--
Erskine Fincher
Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2016 :  05:46:08  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn, wish I had a copy of it.

Well, I started the adventure with a pretty basic plot. Someone has stolen the dagger that gave Daggerford its name. Any ideas who should have stolen it?
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Acolyte

Luxembourg
30 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  07:28:10  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on the information from in the questions to Eric L Boyd, Tarn Urmbrusk might be the most obvious candidate... maybe even a bit too obvious

Another possibility could be the duke's sister, Bronwyn or the closest thing Daggerford offers as a thievesguildmaster: Filarion Filvendorson Floshin.

As the dagger's lore tells that it was used to slay lizardmen, Redeye might play a certain role in the plot, although I have difficulty imagining a Lizardman sneaking around unnoticed in town.
Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2016 :  08:26:33  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Thought about the lizardmen but abandoned the idea. Instead, I'm going with a holy relic being stolen from the Temple of Lathander by thieves hired by priests of Shar. The high priest, Liam Sunmist, attempted to retrieve it and was captured.
Go to Top of Page

The Emerald Sage
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2016 :  16:42:30  Show Profile  Visit The Emerald Sage's Homepage Send The Emerald Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's worth pointing out that the 5e teaser Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle contains many scenes located in the town of Daggerford, not to mention a quest that takes the party deep into the Lizard Marsh. There is lots of good content there that can be borrowed or worked into adventures set in the Sword Coast.

I will just caution interested Dungeon Masters by pointing out that the emphasis here is on fun and there is a little too much by way of silly tropes and over-the-top dungeon paraphenalia to recommend it for serious campaigning but that's not to say there isn't plenty there that can't be used.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000