Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Tiefling traveling from Aglarond to Waterdeep.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LedgeTheOrc
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  00:17:33  Show Profile Send LedgeTheOrc a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the current era of 5E specifically.

So. Firstly, my only true experience with Faerun was from playing Neverwinter Nights 2's Original Campaign and the Mask of the Betrayer Expansion.

I've commonly played custom 3.5e settings, however I'm going to be joining up with a new group to start a 5e Campaign. He's already made it clear it will be set around Waterdeep starting in the city of Berdusk.

I'll be making a Tiefling Bard. So far from the lore I've gathered from the PHB and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide I've chosen a starting origin of Aglarond as the theme of the character will be based on a Mournful bard for fallen families of the escaped Thay slaves. Following a passion for seeking knowledge having been inspired by those who worship Mystra.

To get me to Berdusk my plan is to have heard of the College of New Olamn and in the pursuit of knowledge he'll be traveling from his homeland of Aglarond (Though what I've read so far Tieflings there are mostly only tolerated due to a common enemy in Thay? ).

I've been reading what I can trying to piece together info about this massive world I know little of. Wiki pages all day.
So I ask the loremasters a few questions:

I couldn't seem to find many specifics only the slavery aspect of Tieflings in Thay? Only vague mentions of it here and there. Maybe someone has a link to a wiki page that describes it or could someone summarize if it's from protected content?

Any suggestions what family life would be life for a Tiefling in Aglarond? A scarce birthing of prejudiced love? Or actual in race breeding by this point? I'm unclear on how common it is for tieflings to actually mate with one another and live in communites by this point. My understand is that any race mating with one will always produce a tiefling based on Asmodeus' Ascension.

What would be the bigger notable landmarks along the path to Berdusk. Obviously once he hears of The Companion he'll definitely want to see it, but up to that point it seems hit or miss what cities actually matter.
Being a Bard who will definitely be taking up the College of Lore I'd love to have tidbits of these lands I'm doubting any of the other PCs will have been to.

Also wondering on the reach of the Harpers, would they have been heard of in Aglarond? Or would it be something heard closer to Cormyr?

A fun puzzle: How long would it take to travel from Point A to B. Mostly by foot or rented horse from a traveling performers pay?

Or anything else you think I should research and where you suggest I research it! I love learning the lore, I just find myself spreading out reading things that seem to stretch in relevancy as the Faerun backlore is so vast. Do be mindful a lot of my purpose it to assemble information for the current era in 5E. Though I'm not opposed to previous era lore, clearly, I'm trying not to overload my brain. Between work and other social needs I'm reading what I can. More than happy to purchase what you think is relevant, as the more I read the more I adore!

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  07:36:22  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thayan Tiefling would either be born to a Cambion descended from a Red Wizard of the Conjuration school, a descendant of a Mulhorandi God (Thay was a colony of Mulhorand at one time), or part of a slave breeding program conducted by Red Wizards delibrately breeding Tieflings for they're unique abilities.

Tiefling are common in Thay for 2 reasons, evil Conjurers and that its a former Mulhorand colony and Tieflings and Aasimar are unusually common (relatively) in Mulhorand and its former colonies, which is also true of Unther and its former colonies like Chessenta.

Tieflings became common in Algarond because when shortly after or before the spell plague Szass Tam, the Zulkir of Necromancer staged a coup detat and took over Thay and then tried to use a form of magic that would make him an Overgod, which failed and instead turned much of Thay into a toxic waste land.

So all that as well as slavery for some of the Thayan Tiefling were reasons why they fled to Aglarond.

You add to that the rite that the Brim Stone Angel preformed upon much of the Tiefling race that turned them into a pure breeding race blood related to Asmodeaus, God of Sin and Hell, which boosted their numbers because when a Tiefling breeds with anything it almost always produces a Tiefling.

So in the olden days a Tiefling breeds with say a human, it would usually produce a human, whose descendants mighy some day give birth at random to a Tiefling, because of that rite, a human or elf or Dragonborn, or Thrikreen breeds with a Tiefling, a Tiefling is born. This caused a major Tiefling population boost.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000