Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2018-20??)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2017 :  20:05:34  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting in to Pathfinder, so I have started reading Pathfinder Tales.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2017 :  01:39:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting the 3rd book of the Wheel of Time series. Technically, this is my 4th book, as I started with New Spring.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2017 :  01:41:45  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Starting the 3rd book of the Wheel of Time series. Technically, this is my 4th book, as I started with New Spring.

Great series! Though the New Spring was written after several of the other books. It is a prequel, so it could be read before the others.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2017 :  03:19:18  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, a friend of mine, the one who recommended me this series, say that I should begin with New Spring.

And yes, is a really good series. There are a few boring chapters, but then there are others that I cannot help but to devour one after another, and sometimes I end up awake late at night because I can't stop reading.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 05 Apr 2017 03:46:03
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2017 :  03:22:45  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are slow parts, to be sure, but overall it is a great series. I started reading it in middle school.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2017 :  12:39:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I am, at the moment, quite enjoying Zeus is Dead -- enough to recommend it by way of providing a hyperlink to it on Amazon.

Okay, so this was something that really amused me... This book does the thing of having each chapter prefaced by a blurb from an in-setting bit of writing, much the same way Ed's FR books do. Most of the blurbs are from blogs or articles about the returned Greek deities... But one of them is from later in the book!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2017 :  17:18:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This passage, from page 284 of Zeus is Dead, particularly amused me and does a great job of showing the overall tone of the book:

quote:
Those diligent and attentive readers who recall mention of the Dionysian being built upon the spot where Caesar's Palace once stood and who have been to Vegas (or those who have not been to Vegas but decided to look things up just to be obsessive - and you lot in particular really ought to seek help) may here be protesting that the Vegas monorail is, in reality, on the other side of the Las Vegas Strip and so runs nowhere near the Dionysian. Please note a particular two-word phrase there: in reality. Why people wish to take exception to an urban geographical error in a book telling a tale where "gods" run rampant is a question not answered in this text, and we can only suggest that such people may not have been hugged enough as children.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2017 :  15:20:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So on CallMeGene's recommendation, I started reading Dead Witch Walking. His tastes and mine usually run pretty close, for books, but I think this is going to be one of those places where our tastes diverge. I'm just over 100 pages in, and it's simply not grabbing me.

I put that one aside for the moment, though, because Thrawn came out yesterday. I've been waiting for this one since it was announced, enough to make the rare mid-week run to the bookstore.

Unlike the original Thrawn books, this one details when the Empire first found Thrawn and brought him back to Imperial space -- so it's the beginning of the story.

Thrawn was originally an Expanded Universe character, and was chucked out the window with the other EU stuff when Disney bought Star Wars -- but this is the character's creator bringing him back, and by starting earlier, sticking with the original backstory.

I just started reading it last night, but I'm quite enjoying it. And of course, I'm loving the return of one of my fave EU characters. I didn't read a lot of the EU stuff, but most of what I did read was the Thrawn stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Thoth
Acolyte

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2017 :  11:48:30  Show Profile Send Thoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just about to re-read R. Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber again, starting with "Nine Princes in Amber". Classic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2017 :  17:14:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting close to the end of Thrawn... I like how it's gone, thus far, following his entrance to the Imperial Navy to being an Admiral aboard the Chimaera -- though Captain Paelleon is sadly absent, so far. The part I just read during my lunch adds a bit more to his backstory, a bit of a tweak that makes Thrawn that much more interesting a character. I'm really eager to finish this one.

Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2017 :  03:09:59  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm getting close to the end of Thrawn... I like how it's gone, thus far, following his entrance to the Imperial Navy to being an Admiral aboard the Chimaera -- though Captain Paelleon is sadly absent, so far. The part I just read during my lunch adds a bit more to his backstory, a bit of a tweak that makes Thrawn that much more interesting a character. I'm really eager to finish this one.

Glad to hear some good reviews! I haven't jumped into the new EU yet, because I have a few more old EU books I want to finish first. I'm glad to hear some good reviews though, the whole canning the old EU and then taking characters from it like Thrawn rubbed me the wrong way. I get it, but I don't love it. If they do it right though, then I'll be happy. This one is on my list along with Tarkin though, as I do like the idea of these character focus books.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2017 :  04:57:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Thrawn this eve. I really love how the author basically kept the original backstory and added to it, filled in some blanks, and stayed true to the EU material without running afoul of the current canon.

And actually, since it ends with Thrawn becoming a Grand Admiral, it doesn't violate the story in the original Thrawn EU books, either -- because those books happened 5 years after the Battle of Endor, and this one ends well before the Battle of Yavin. That's an interesting needle to thread, especially since the EU stuff is non-canon and could therefore be ignored.

Obviously, the events of the original Thrawn books can't happen in the new canon, if for no other reason than the fact that Han and Leia originally had three kids, none of whom were named Ben. Most of the rest of that story could be lifted into the current canon, though. And since this book stops before getting that far, it makes me wonder what is planned for future novels. I'm sure we're going to see more of Thrawn in the new novels, regardless of whether or not we see Mara Jade, Talon Karde, and any other elements of that story.

Captain Pellaeon never made an appearance in this book, but having the book stop at the point it did means it's not impossible for him to wind up in command of the Chimaera.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2017 :  04:04:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thoth

Just about to re-read R. Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber again, starting with "Nine Princes in Amber". Classic.

Good one.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Thoth
Acolyte

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2017 :  12:14:19  Show Profile Send Thoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up the audio book of the Thrawn novel the other day, and have out it on my list. Thanks for the comments, I look forward to "reading" it!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2017 :  14:42:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last night, I finished Dead Witch Walking, which did get slightly more interesting, but never quite grabbed me.

Now I'm on The Impossible Fortress.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2017 :  20:14:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished The Impossible Fortress during my lunch break, this day.

The book basically follows one 14 year old boy, from April of 1987 through the summer of that year. The whole thing starts with this guy and his two friends trying to get their hands on the new issue of Playboy, because it had Vanna White in it. In the process, the main character meets a girl, and the story flows from that development. It's a good tale, kind of a coming of age story with a lot of 80's references. I don't know that I'll call it one of my fave reads of the year, but if not, it will be in the "almost faves" of the year category.

Not sure what's going to be next in the reading list. I've got at least a couple potential candidates that are new reads, or I might find an old favorite to revisit.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Apr 2017 20:15:40
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2017 :  21:49:22  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently finishing up The Crystal Shard, and since book 4 of the Legend of Drizzt hasn't arrived yet, I'm not sure what to read yet. My choices are:

Elminster: Making of a Mage
Blackstaff

Or

Pathfinder Tales Prince of Wolves

Suggestions? I haven't read any Pathfinder stuff at all, it's something new I've decided to dip into. Anyone here a fan?

Edit: hours and hours later. Gee, I seem to be a huge thread killer on these boards. Lol

Edited by - BountyHunter on 23 Apr 2017 11:04:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2017 :  16:27:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BountyHunter

I'm currently finishing up The Crystal Shard, and since book 4 of the Legend of Drizzt hasn't arrived yet, I'm not sure what to read yet. My choices are:

Elminster: Making of a Mage
Blackstaff

Or

Pathfinder Tales Prince of Wolves

Suggestions? I haven't read any Pathfinder stuff at all, it's something new I've decided to dip into. Anyone here a fan?

Edit: hours and hours later. Gee, I seem to be a huge thread killer on these boards. Lol

I like Blackstaff, myself, but of the lot, I think I'd have to recommend Prince of Wolves. It's the first of many good books by Dave Gross about Chelexian noble and half-elf Varian Jeggare and his tiefling assistance Radovan. The later books about that duo are better, but this is the one that introduces them.

Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2017 :  22:21:58  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks Wooly. I think I will take your suggestion and dive into the world of Pathfinder for a bit. I have the comics and a couple of the audio dramas on the way, too.

Cracking the book open now. #128578;
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2017 :  22:23:00  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks Wooly. I think I will take your suggestion and dive into the world of Pathfinder for a bit. I have the comics and a couple of the audio dramas on the way, too.

Cracking the book open now. #128578;
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2017 :  13:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realized that it had been far too long since I picked up a Realms novel and actually read it. I keep trying to read Ed's novels and distract myself making notes. So yesterday I splurged at the bookstore and got Ashes of the Tyrant, the Godborn, the Adversary, the Herald, the Reaver, and the Sentinel. I'll have to get the rest of Erin M. Evans' stuff and the Companions to fill in the gaps. That was literally everything on the shelves not by R.A. Salvatore.

Is there strict continuity stuff between the Sundering novels or can I read one of the ones I have without reading the Companions first?
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2017 :  18:26:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each of the Sundering novels stand on their own, with loose connections. The Companions, Godborn, Adversary, and Herald are of course connected to other series.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 05 May 2017 19:19:30
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2017 :  19:21:10  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently reading The Redemption Engine in the Pathfinder Tales. I'm digging it lol.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2017 :  19:36:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today I started The Ace of Skulls, the fourth book of the Ketty Jay series. I started those books a week or two ago, and I've been happily tearing through them -- it's an enjoyable series. It kind of has a Firefly feel to it...

The (unnamed) world its set on seems to be around 1900s technology -- but more advanced in some ways. They've got pistols and knives for combat, but they also use airships (made lighter than air by a substance called aerium, which is mined but later rendered gaseous by using electromagnets).

There is also daemonism, which involves summoning daemons to do things that rather resemble magic. But the daemonism involves science; they have to use specialized equipment (including oscilloscopes) to summon and contain daemons by dialing in the daemon's particular combination of frequencies and harmonics.

The Firefly feel comes from the action centering around the crew of the ramshackle airship Ketty Jay - a cross between a cargo ship and a combat ship. The crew are a disreputable bunch, including criminals, an alcoholic doctor, a self-centered captain, a cowardly fighter pilot, and the cat that suffers their presence on the ship.

At the start of the first book, they're a rough bunch that don't really care too much about each other, but as the series progresses, the captain becomes more Malcolm Reynolds-like and the crew really pulls together.

I'm rather enjoying these books.

Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2017 :  13:42:46  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently reading Servant of the Shard which has been an awesome change of pace as a side story for the Drizzt series. According to a list I was looking at, this was the proper book to read after Spine of the World and before Sea of Swords. So next up will be Sea of Swords and then I think I will finish the Sellswords series after that. Any thoughts from anyone on that order of books?

Edited by - Taleras on 17 May 2017 13:44:54
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2017 :  17:06:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

I'm currently reading Servant of the Shard which has been an awesome change of pace as a side story for the Drizzt series. According to a list I was looking at, this was the proper book to read after Spine of the World and before Sea of Swords. So next up will be Sea of Swords and then I think I will finish the Sellswords series after that. Any thoughts from anyone on that order of books?

Your order is correct.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2017 :  18:38:23  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Your order is correct.

Thank you for confirming!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  14:01:29  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Your order is correct.

Thank you for confirming!

Servant of the Shard also serves as the first book in the Sellswords series which focuses on the adventures of Jarlaxle and Entreri.

Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  14:05:28  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perfect, just about done with Servant of the Shard and Sea of Swords is waiting on my shelf. The next Sellswords books are on their way!

Edited by - Taleras on 19 May 2017 14:05:44
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  18:29:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perfect, just about done with Servant of the Shard and Sea of Swords is waiting on my shelf. The next Sellswords books are on their way!

Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000