Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2016 & 2017)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2016 :  05:03:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, The Man in the High Castle is the first book in a long time that I've considered to be a waste of perfectly good reading time. It just kinda stops, without any real resolution.

I'm not the kind of person to get rid of a book I spent good money on... But I'm tempted to break that rule, in this case.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3521 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2016 :  21:19:57  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Okay, The Man in the High Castle is the first book in a long time that I've considered to be a waste of perfectly good reading time. It just kinda stops, without any real resolution.

I'm not the kind of person to get rid of a book I spent good money on... But I'm tempted to break that rule, in this case.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3521 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2016 :  21:20:56  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well I tried watching the Amazon show and could only get through 15 minutes, so I'm not surprised in you view of the book

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2016 :  22:48:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will definitely not be seeing that show.

Go to Top of Page

Austin the Archmage
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2016 :  00:35:48  Show Profile  Send Austin the Archmage an AOL message Send Austin the Archmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished "Elminster: Making of a Mage". I got it over a year ago and read half of it, but put aside The Realms to focus on other things.

I thought it was all right. I liked some of the humorous phrasing written through out the book, and it's interesting to see what a varied career Elminster had before becoming a mage. I liked that the climax of the book has him gathering up his old allies to take back his throne. Certain scenes I feel happen too fast and could have used more detailed descriptions, although there are other parts of the book that I think kind of drag. Part of that is because of how long it takes to see El start learning arcane magic, and I was eager to see that.

I also have Elminster in Myth Drannor, because I wanted to see how Elminster become such a powerful mage. I also have Elminster in Hell, because I enjoy depictions of Hell and I like fiends as antagonists. I also wanted to see The Simbul tear Baator a new asshole. I'll get started on those next.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2016 :  01:18:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently reading one called Steal the Sky.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3008 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2016 :  19:42:25  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading through the City of Delights boxed set for the umpteenth time. I sure wish more Al-Qadim products were made.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Check out my eBay store for great Realms/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc series! http://stores.ebay.com/Remembered-Realms-and-Hobbies

Be my friend on Goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6751111-brian
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2016 :  21:06:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished a book called Black Wolves.

I quite liked it, though I did have some quibbles -- mostly in that I didn't like the way the author handled the flashbacks. Most of them were two people talking, one says something referencing a past event, and then there's a flashback to that event. That approach has already struck me as a bit awkward...

A large part of the book focuses on a soldier named Kellas. There are three parts: Kellas as a young man serving King Anjihosh, then 22 years later when the Anjihosh's son is assassinated, and then 22 years after that.

Most of the action is in that last time period, and it is largely political. There are a lot of characters, and a fair number of them are caught in the middle of a bunch of different factions striving against each other. The factions include the king, both of his queens (all separate factions!), a religion gaining in prominence, and demons.

But they're not your D&D or even Christian-style demons -- they're the far Eastern type: supernatural beings that aren't necessarily evil or beholden to a higher power. These demons used to rule the Hundred, and did so with justice and wisdom, but became corrupted and were defeated.

One of the things that's enjoyable is the way you learn what's going on, and then you learn about what's really going on, and then you learn even more of the truth -- and a lot of what you learn contradicts the earlier stuff.

The setting is a land called the Hundred; it's got an Oriental feel without being obviously a repainted Japan or China.

It's a massive book, and it's obviously going to have at least one sequel... And I'll get it as soon as it comes out.

After all that and my other recent reads, I decided to take a break from fantasy and sci-fi... So I'm reading an old fave, The Hunt for Red October.

I've still got a lot of new stuff at the top of my reading list, but I'm thinking of sliding the Codex Alera or the kinda-sorta duology of 14 and The Fold into there.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 May 2016 21:34:45
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2016 :  04:04:16  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've started reading and re-reading some FR novels - some I read many years ago, some I've never read before. I started with Elaine's Song & Swords books because they are old favorites and then moved into the Waterdeep series. For the most part I liked the EdG Presents books, mostly because they explored areas of Waterdeep usually overlooked, but the Circle of Skulls book did not seem to fit at all to me. Like it could easily have been written for any other location then had the name of Waterdeep, the wards and the officer ranks just added in at the editing stage. Really an awkward fit if you ask me.

No I'm onto reading the Shadow of the Avatar books again, currently in book 2. I forgot how much magic was packed into them.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric78
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  19:09:22  Show Profile Send Cyric78 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up The Orc King recently. So far I'm 3/4th away from finishing the book... There are certain aspects I find kind of monotonous.. It's probably why it's taken me 8 years of off and on reading to struggle through... ;

I'm focusing on reading through the Drizzt books, no matter how painful it may be to get through.. The reason for this is because of hearing the recent news regarding the MMO, Neverwinter, finally coming to the PS4 this summer..

I'd like to finish all Neverwinter books by the time the game is released on PS4..
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  21:43:15  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally getting round to Brimstone Angels. I have Lesser Evils, The Adversary, Fire in the Blood and Ashes of the Tyrant to follow, but because I know they have some of the same characters and follow chronologically I am reading them in order.

Its taken me a while to get into, but thats because I have been picking it up and putting it down for a while. Its very enjoyable though, and I am looking forward to reading the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  22:03:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was reading the newest Star Wars book, Bloodline, but I had to put that down -- Stiletto just came out this week. It's the sequel to The Rook, a kinda-sorta "X-Files meets the X-Men" type mashup that has become one of my fave books.

I've not gotten very far into it. I just laid hands on the book last night, and I didn't have as much time to get to it as I should have liked.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2016 :  21:16:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, no one has commented in a couple weeks?

I read and thoroughly enjoyed Stiletto, then finished Bloodline, which was thoroughly meh.

I read an Iron Kingdoms ebook, The Blood of Kings. Normally I'm not a fan of ebooks, but I'd heard that Cygnar had a new king, and since that's my faction, I was eager to see how it played out. It started a bit slow, but once it got going, I really enjoyed it.

Somewhere in there, I also read Mechanical Failure, which was, like Stiletto, thoroughly enjoyable, and which will make my list of the best books of 2016.

I just finished The Eerie Adventures of the Lycanthrope Robinson Crusoe, which makes the title character a werewolf (classic variety, not D&D or Hollywood variety) and strands him on an island sacred to Cthulhu and frequented by his cannibal worshippers. I really like Peter Clines's stuff, but this one was a miss for me.

I'm now working on The Gospel of Loki, which does something I've wanted to see for a while -- it's a first-person POV, told by Loki, who of course makes himself out to be not quite the bad guy. I'm not overly keen on the way each chapter is basically its own tale, almost a standalone tale in a larger epic, but there's a lot of humor, and I like the respinning of the mythology.

Not really sure what will be next, but since I've got some travel time coming up, I need to pick something.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3008 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2016 :  21:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, no one has commented in a couple weeks?

I'm having a down reading year due to spending more time on other hobbies.

I started Lords of Destruction, Book 2 of the Death Dealer Saga, by James Silke. I love me some nice 80's Sword & Sorcery!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Check out my eBay store for great Realms/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc series! http://stores.ebay.com/Remembered-Realms-and-Hobbies

Be my friend on Goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6751111-brian
Go to Top of Page

cheriebrown
Acolyte

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2016 :  12:43:23  Show Profile  Visit cheriebrown's Homepage Send cheriebrown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am back reading the sellsword series, imo the best realms series to date!

Online Game Fanatic and Game Developer at https://www.spidersolitaireonline.net
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2016 :  15:55:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read Mars, Inc - The Billionaire's Club and The Red Plague Affair, mostly on the out of state trip -- between airplane time, my wife driving the car, and hanging out in the hotel room with our little guy while she was spending time with her family, I had plenty of time to read.

(It was late, and he needed to wind down and go to sleep. I was actually quite fine with this arrangement; I like her family, but a lot of them I was meeting for the first time that weekend. I was very comfortable doing my own thing while she bonded with them.)

I'm now reading an alt-history called Joe Steele. The premise is that Stalin was born in the US (his dad had left Russia and came to the US), and winds up becoming President. It's kind of weird -- I don't feel particularly enthusiastic to keep reading it, but I want to see how the story plays out.

Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Learned Scribe

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2016 :  03:39:19  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, I saw you commented on Ready Player One back on page 1 or 2. I somewhat recently finished this utterly terrific book for the first time. I don't know how it eluded my attention for years, I guess I've been so preoccupied with TSR/WotC books it must have somehow slipped under my radar. Within minutes of finishing it I immediately jumped online to alert over a dozen of friends I grew up geeking out with - playing D&D, watching Voltron, Beastmaster, etc. - basically people all in the ideal age category to really appreciate what that story celebrates. A bunch of my friends tore through it in 2-3 days (like myself) because it is so irresistible. I rarely re-read a book anymore, because I have so many on the mountain ahead of me, but this one almost certainly will become an annual event.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2016 :  10:09:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

Wooly, I saw you commented on Ready Player One back on page 1 or 2. I somewhat recently finished this utterly terrific book for the first time. I don't know how it eluded my attention for years, I guess I've been so preoccupied with TSR/WotC books it must have somehow slipped under my radar. Within minutes of finishing it I immediately jumped online to alert over a dozen of friends I grew up geeking out with - playing D&D, watching Voltron, Beastmaster, etc. - basically people all in the ideal age category to really appreciate what that story celebrates. A bunch of my friends tore through it in 2-3 days (like myself) because it is so irresistible. I rarely re-read a book anymore, because I have so many on the mountain ahead of me, but this one almost certainly will become an annual event.

I'm glad you liked it! I really love that book, myself.

His second book, Armada, is good, too, but doesn't knock it out of the park the way Ready Player One does.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  12:55:51  Show Profile  Click to see Thelonius's MSN Messenger address Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Terry Pratchett's Lords and ladies and got American Gods waiting on my shelves for the next week when I start my holidays

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3521 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  17:07:49  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

Just finished reading Terry Pratchett's Lords and ladies and got American Gods waiting on my shelves for the next week when I start my holidays

oh what joy for you!

American gods is next up on my re read stack! So amazing

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  20:14:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

oh what joy for you!

I wasn't a huge fan of American Gods, myself, but I really liked the sequel, Anansi Boys.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3521 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  20:27:48  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

oh what joy for you!

I wasn't a huge fan of American Gods, myself, but I really liked the sequel, Anansi Boys.

For me it was opposite.

But I liked Neverwhere even more than both of those.

I am currently reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and trying to start

The Gunslinger by Stephen King, I don't like his horror at all....but keep getting poked, prodded and begged to try the dark tower series.

I'll have to admit, it has a great opening line....

"The man in black fled across the desert,
And the gunslinger followed"

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29653 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  22:08:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read The Dark Tower many, many years ago, and found it not to my liking.

I've got mixed opinions on Stephen King stuff. Some I've liked, some I've hated... And even some of the tales I've liked, I've not liked his writing style.

I read the re-release of Neverwhere at this same time last year -- I started it on the plane to GenCon. It's another odd one, for me. I liked it, but at the same time, it's not one I can muster enthusiasm for.

Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  23:12:59  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear and Name of the Wind. I had forgotten how absolutely amazing both were. Now I can only wait semi-patiently for the 3rd book.
Go to Top of Page

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
61 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2016 :  18:37:22  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two days ago i started "the Lies of Locke Lamora"

Sweet Tymora, what a joy.

Cant put it down.

(Just finished the three main books of The First Law)

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====

BRING BACK THE REALMS, AND DO IT WITH STYLE!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000