Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Return to the Tomb of Horrors in Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TaemaNai
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2016 :  00:38:04  Show Profile Send TaemaNai a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a boxed set, and even though the whole thing wasn't written by Gygax himself it's still a classic and a really involved, fun looking dungeon crawl. And it's got lots of the bits I love about 2nd Ed built in. I'm excited about introducing my group to it.

The current campaign is set in Cormyr but the boxed set is Greyhawk. Not a problem, I'm setting the premise to Acererak has figured out how to open a portal into a tomb in the middle of the Battle of Bones (Just southwest of the Anauroch Desert) where undead appear to still be duking it out since the fall of the First Vampire King.

So I'm posting here looking for advice on the buildup. It's not enough to just have a dungeon, you have to have things leading to the dungeon and Acererak popping up I figure would be big news to the locals around the Battle and would probably attract attention from the Sage of Shadowdale himself given a sudden abundance of Demilich isn't good for anyone's magic. But what about the littler factions like vampire lords looking to capitalize on the opportunity? And the people working to contain the undead armies? Any thoughts on local celebrities that might have a stake in such a situation? Factions that would make a pilgrimage to stake a claim?

Ideally I want to create enough turmoil that it's reasonable for the players to be "one more band" that gets overlooked in the mess (and if you know the boxed set, one more group of adventurers is what Acererak's planning for) until they've slipped through into the dungeon and had their adventure. After all, if it was easy to pick out who would come on top in a mess, there wouldn't be gambling.

If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended—
That you have but slumbered here while these visions did appear.

~Taema Nai

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2016 :  14:54:23  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first thing I would suggest is to do a search of the forums on Acererak. He's been discussed here before and you'll dig up some good suggestions and ideas to work with, especially on how to fit the Demi-lich into realms history, which should be part of your planning.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000