Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2016)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2016 :  10:00:00  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello all,

Don't forget to take a look at Ed's new world and book at:

http://onderlibrum.com/product/st01-words-of-unbinding/

To print this book, we need to reach 250 pre-orders. Check out our target meter and help us spread the word!

Here is the synopsis for all you that might be interested and the perks for ordering it early:

Tanthalas is a crowded, stinking, dangerous place, but to Dustra, it’s home. And all of the world she’s ever known. She serves old Launtelle, an old woman who sells secrets for a living. And when you know too much, enemies swarm to you like moths to a flame. One of them is THE Big Foe, watching from afar like a malevolent stormfront: the Heirophar, the mysterious and all-mighty archwizard. Or is he? What does Launtelle know about him that may doom her, and Dustra along with her? And who is the local vagabond everyone calls “Tavern,” really?
As death closes in to claim more folks than usual, will the secrets whispered by the old witch prove Dustra’s salvation . . . or her doom?

There are extra incentives to buy early! Canadians – check out our dual pricing special! Also, the first 250 buyers will be automatically entered into a draw to win:
•1 of 3 hour-long online chats with The Archmage, Mr. Ed Greenwood. Value: priceless!
•1 of 3 oil-on-canvas Stormtalons map (for delivery in early 2017). Value: $200
•1 of 20 free e-copies of another Stormtalons or Hellmaw title of your choice. Value: $9.99
•Get a character named after you in the second book in Mr. Greenwood’s Stormtalons series (name to be adapted to fit series). Value: immortality unlocked!

Limited Edition features:
•Velum tip-in sheet recording the number of your limited edition, personally signed by Ed Greenwood, featuring a full-color map drawn by Eric Belisle
•Handsome Arlan cover with debossed, gold-rimmed, full-color Stormtalons logo
•Color-treated book edges
•Integrated ribbon bookmark
•Foil on the spine

On top of this beautiful edition, you’ll also receive:
•A free copy of the ebook edition
•A full colour postcard of the map, with the paperback cover on the reverse
•Free shares in Nornar Mining, STC! (details forthcoming)

I know that it is possibly shameless in doing this promotion, considering heehee I just pre-ordered my copy, but I want to support Ed in his new venture and hoping that he gets the target 250 pre-orders so that it can be printed.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
646 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  07:22:35  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message
I would love to support this book but 49.99 plus 25 quid for shipping is more than I am willing to pay.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4853 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  10:29:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Well, the site isn't taking my credit card pre-order. Hopefully that can be fixed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  12:08:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, the site isn't taking my credit card pre-order. Hopefully that can be fixed.

-- George Krashos

Maybe it's a geographical thing. Send me your credit card info, and I'll see if I can place the order for you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  13:04:52  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
I managed the Purchase but had this experience (did any of you that tried get the same error message?) I have sent this message to the site to let them know. George if you can, maybe send Ed an email heads up as well?

I made of purchase on the Emporium for Words of Unbinding on August 18, 2016. I couldn't use the site as it is set-up to take my credit card and I know of 3 people that did the same and got the same result. It keeps saying that An Error Occurred. I tried using my Visa Card.

So I completed the order using the Paypal option and used my MasterCard, and it was completed successfully and the order number is 2760.

This morning I received a call from Visa Security, and my Visa Card was cloned and a charge of $600 was charged and linked with a charge from India.

I wanted to advise you as soon as possible since someone is looking at your site and cloning people attempts to complete a purchase using the form that you have completed.

Edited by - Bruce Donohue on 19 Aug 2016 13:16:46
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2016 :  13:14:49  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Just to add, no security issues using Paypal and my Paypal order went through 100%. So if anyone is wanting to Purchase the Book, my suggestion is use the Paypal option
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2016 :  14:25:07  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Yeah, I didn't have any problems ordering through PayPal. If it's an option for the international folk, like myself, I'd recommend it as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Baldorar
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2016 :  10:13:03  Show Profile Send Baldorar a Private Message
Howdy to everyone!

I've been reading these boards for some weeks now and have some questions for Ed. They may have been already answered, but it's kind of hard to look through all the threads till I find it!

I've been playing two campaigns in the Realms in 2nd Edition AD&D and my first question is: to what extent the Volo's Guides have been changed to meet TSRs standards and how much is from the original Ed's home campaign? Are they usable for pre-Time of Troubles campaigns?

The second question is a similar one. I've purchased recently the 1st Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and I'm planning to buy the FR modules from 1 to 6. As I want to start my home campaign from a "purer Greenwoodian" perception of the Realms... my question is the following: how much in it is properly Ed's and how much is TSR's?. I know, for instance, that Douglas Niles changed a lot of the Monnshaes, but I don't know to what extent. As for the Grey Box and the other FR modules, don't know anything.

Maybe other posters can give me a hand too.

Thank you!

Edited by - Baldorar on 21 Aug 2016 10:18:28
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1582 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2016 :  23:33:54  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
Dear Ed & THO, if possible, could you share any information regarding the marriage between Aumry Orbarskyr and Sylune? I'm particularly interested in whether or not they had any children and who they might be, but also general information on Aumry, how he died, was he on good terms with the Orbarskyr family (and how, exactly, he fits into the family tree), what kind of man was he (including his alignment) and how/why did he become lord of Shadowdale? Thanks.

EDIT: And is the name Aumry in any way tied to El's surname?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 22 Aug 2016 01:15:55
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
741 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  02:41:07  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
I'm no Ed or THO, but I can refer you to posts by them around the 19th of March 2010 in the Qs for Ed thread, saying that Sylune did have children, but Aumry wasn't their father (they're much older than that).

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  14:04:39  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello my dear THO a Ed,

I was wondering is the an official Canon reference for whom where the Scions of the Nobles Houses of Elves that came from Tintageer and upon their first arrival in Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  11:38:40  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
I wanted to ask about the former Psion Nation of Jhaamdath and the great Intevar's Librarium. It was know that a university called Udoclian for the Invisible Art and supposed Intervar Librarium contained the collective knowledge of the elves. So that nation of psion rule flourished from -5800 DR to -1504 DR.

So that means that psionics would have been common amongst the citizens and the gifts passed on from generation to generation. What happened to all the lore knowledge of elven collection, and all the lore knowledge of psionics of the Udoclian University and Intevar's Librarium? Would some of the Eleven High Magic and Psion blending, psicrafts including spindles,psi-lore crystal etc, have made its way to Evereska and to the Hall of the Kaliesh'erai?
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  11:57:58  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
What can Ed tell us about Ophaldaar, greatest of the three High Mages of fallen Miyeritar who died his endeavour to counter the Killing Storm unleashed by the Vyshaan and lost in the great magical maelstrom that ensued?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4853 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  14:31:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

What can Ed tell us about Ophaldaar, greatest of the three High Mages of fallen Miyeritar who died his endeavour to counter the Killing Storm unleashed by the Vyshaan and lost in the great magical maelstrom that ensued?

Given that I made him up, likely not that much.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  17:32:11  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Thanks George, blushing now.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4853 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2016 :  04:57:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Thanks George, blushing now.

No biggie. Steven Schend did all the heavy lifting for Miyeritar back in the day. He might be able to provide you with some lore.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Baldorar
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2016 :  07:12:50  Show Profile Send Baldorar a Private Message
Yet another question for Ed, but that you can also can answer, my Lady THO.

I know he likes to run mini-dungeons from time to time. But, I'm curious about how did/does he run mega-dungeons (i.e. Undermountain): what's it using the typical old school pattern, counting feet on corridors and describing room proportions, or was it done in any other, more loose and inmersive way? Did he use to put lots of creatures in rooms like you can see in some of the older modules (G 1-3, the B series of modules foot basic D&D, etc.)?

Did/do you run hex crawls our use a hex map while exploring?

Of course I'm talking about your home campaigns, not about what you have to do for TSR.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by - Baldorar on 25 Aug 2016 07:47:12
Go to Top of Page

Vulpes
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2016 :  09:07:00  Show Profile Send Vulpes a Private Message
Who were some of the more... interesting of Azoun IV's unknown bastards? By which, I mean unexpected hybrids like half-sea elves or -white dragons, people who became famous on their own merits, people who came to rule other places, people who ended up in farflung and unexpected places, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2016 :  03:03:47  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
I was wondering if there are any organizations like the Harpers that are in the home campaign that never have been released officially. Any names or anything that you can tell us would be appreciated if either of you can discuss it. :-)

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  14:45:27  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
Something of a vague-ish question for Ed, as it were, but anyway!

When Mystra makes/creates/imbues a new Chosen, it comes with various benefits, obviously. The silver fire, sudden (or maybe not so sudden, depending) awareness that they'll live much longer than other mortals, and so on. But how do they adapt to no longer needing to sleep? It appears in the game rules for some editions, certainly, but I'm curious about how they tend to deal with it. Which of course might vary from person to person, so if need be then Ed can feel free to limit his answer to Elminster, Khelben, and the Seven (but other examples, particularly examples who might not have done so well, would also be interesting).

Is sleep something that they simply cannot do? Or can they choose to sleep if they want to (perhaps they might enjoy taking a nap?), but don't? Or are they always in a state of "rested wakefulness" or similar? Do they get "tired" like normal people would but just find that vanishing if they employ silver fire (consciously or not) to keep themselves going?

Plus, as somebody who often has many sleepless nights researching or working, the concept of no longer needing sleep is intriguing and somewhat horrifying. One of the most basic human requirements (along with things like food and drink), and a Chosen of Mystra just plain, well, doesn't.

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  15:22:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I've always assumed that they can sleep, and find it just as refreshing as a non-Chosen would, but that the silver fire has changed them to the point that they don't suffer the effects of not sleeping. Maybe it's like the Catalepsean Node that Warhammer 40k Space Marines have -- they can put parts of their brain to sleep while the rest stays up and running.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1582 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  15:33:32  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
I believe Storm still requires sleep so this benefit of her Chosen doesn't apply to her. There's one passage in an El novel where she sleeps while El reads a spellbook. She lays next to him, he holds her hand and turns the pages of the floating book with the other. This was before the Spellplague, however, and she may not have to sleep now.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  21:04:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I believe Storm still requires sleep so this benefit of her Chosen doesn't apply to her. There's one passage in an El novel where she sleeps while El reads a spellbook. She lays next to him, he holds her hand and turns the pages of the floating book with the other. This was before the Spellplague, however, and she may not have to sleep now.

It was a 2E source that said they don't need to sleep -- The Seven Sisters.

But since we have multiple references to them sleeping, I stick with my interpretation.

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
741 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2016 :  00:06:09  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
Hi again Ed and THO! To Ed, I hope the Stormtalons launch is going well!

Can you tell us anything more about the destruction of Field Ward referred to in Death Masks - specifically about when this happened? Even more specifically, was it linked to the Tyranny of Dragons event?

Your time is always appreciated, I'm sure you're even busier than normal at the moment!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1984 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2016 :  00:19:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
will there be a champaign setting book for storm talons?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000